ADVERTISEMENT

Rookie Head Coaching Blues

Why do you dislike Freeman so much? Even Brian Kelly struggled early with LSU. Look at the FSU loss in New Orleans. Why did he lose that game? Why did Kelly lose games to Tulsa and Northwestern and numerous other shit teams while he was head coach here? Sometimes, it happens. All you do is criticize Freeman, like you could do any better. The guy is a first year head coach. He's going to make mistakes. He has made mistakes. If ND is still doing this in his third or fourth year or even next year, then sling all the arrows you want. But give the man a chance. Obviously he has already gone farther in life than you ever will.
If I’m not mistaken SJB is a legendary girls cross country coach. As we know this correlates well yo football.

MF so far has shown a serious weakness if ND is EVER to contend for a NC,

Not being able to motivate, adjust, whatever to take care of teams that are PATHETICALLY less talented will end his tenure here sooner or later.

You MF fanboys need to accept that reality.

If I’m not mistaken SJB is a legendary girls cross country coach. As we know this correlates well yo football.
I'm sure he is more than just a troll on a free message board. What he doesn't understand is that the ND AD, ND president and the BOT decided that Marcus Freeman was the man to lead Notre Dame's football program after Brian Kelly left. When they offered the job to Marcus, what was he supposed to say? "No. I'm not experienced enough. I won't succeed. You should offer the job to Luke Fickell." That's what sjb would do in a similar situation but MF has enough self-confidence in his ability to take on the challenge. He's going to take his lumps. He already has. You don't think it kills him to know his team lost to Marshall and Stanford? Or those players? You think they don't think about what might have been had they been able to win those games? Believe me, they are more bothered by it than any poster on this board and you know why - because they live and breathe ND football everyday. Their blood and sweat and effort is going into this season. They know they should have won those games. They know they should have curb stomped Navy today, but you know what, they didn't. They won and that's what matters. Freeman and those players have to learn how to finish lesser quality opponents. Maybe they will destroy BC next week and put all that to rest. I hope so.

Reactions: NDblitz

Not being able to motivate, adjust, whatever to take care of teams that are PATHETICALLY less talented will end his tenure here sooner or later.

Give the man a break. Kelly couldn't bag a NC in 12 years. You expect Freeman to do it in year one.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Why do you dislike Freeman so much? Even Brian Kelly struggled early with LSU. Look at the FSU loss in New Orleans. Why did he lose that game? Why did Kelly lose games to Tulsa and Northwestern and numerous other shit teams while he was head coach here? Sometimes, it happens. All you do is criticize Freeman, like you could do any better. The guy is a first year head coach. He's going to make mistakes. He has made mistakes. If ND is still doing this in his third or fourth year or even next year, then sling all the arrows you want. But give the man a chance. Obviously he has already gone farther in life than you ever will.
What does this have to do with losing to crappy Stanford and lousy Marshall at home?

All I know is ND is 7-3, with wins over 3 top 25 teams utilizing a backup QB that shouldn't have been given a scholarship to play for ND. Kelly destroyed the QB and WR room, and Rees is highly suspect suspect as an OC without his mentor. Freeman needs to be given time to fix these issues.

Were you calling for Kelly's head during seasons he lost to less talented teams? His tenure lasted 12 years despite losing to Tulsa, Navy, USF, Northwestern...and getting destroyed, not even being competitive, in games against Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson. I think there is a double standard here.

What does this have to do with losing to crappy Stanford and lousy Marshall at home?
Hey SJB, why did Kelly lose to Tulsa, Navy, Northwestern, USF and Syracuse at home? How come he got 12 years and you want Freeman gone now? I think I know why and it has nothing to do with his coaching ability.

I'm here. The issue isn't Freeman. The issue is clearly Rees. He isn't good, he can be, but he needs to go elsewhere to gain some valuable knowledge and see different offenses.
Hey, the buck stops at the top !

You can’t blame ND’s second half performance on Rees, the players failed to execute !

Hey SJB, why did Kelly lose to Tulsa, Navy, Northwestern, USF and Syracuse at home? How come he got 12 years and you want Freeman gone now? I think I know why and it has nothing to do with his coaching ability.
And I like Marcus Freeman. A lot.

Just don't blame the roster for Marshall and Stanford.

The play calling was horrible.
IRRESPECTIVE OF THE PLAY CALLING, THE PLAYERS FAILED TO EXECUTE THE PLAYS THAT WERE CALLED.

YOU KEEP WANTING TO BLAME REES 100 % WHEN IT WAS THE PLAYERS WHO FAILED TO PERFORM

Does it stop at the top, or with the players?
The players don’t call the initial play, the coaches call the plays.

Once called, it’s on the players and the players failed miserably

That’s absurd

Kelly isn’t coaching ND, Freeman is, STOP living in the past !
IRRESPECTIVE OF THE PLAY CALLING, THE PLAYERS FAILED TO EXECUTE THE PLAYS THAT WERE CALLED.

YOU KEEP WANTING TO BLAME REES 100 % WHEN IT WAS THE PLAYERS WHO FAILED TO PERFORM
I believe Rees was a questionably hire when Kelly hired him, and I still believe it to this day. That's my opinion.

And I like Marcus Freeman. A lot.

Just don't blame the roster for Marshall and Stanford.
Bullshit. All you do is criticize him. I made a reply to the OP disagreeing with his assertion that ND had a top 5 roster. I never said losing to Marshall and Stanford was OK. But shit happens, just like it did to Kelly all those years here. You and others on the board won't give Freeman the same break you gave Kelly all those years. All you did was defend Kelly up and down even though he lost those games to teams he should not have and even though every time ND was on the big stage, they got their doors blown off. All I'm saying is this, Freeman is in year one. Give the guy time to get his roster put together. Give him time to get experience in situations like today. And remember, the ND admins hired Freeman, he didn't hire himself. You want to complain then email Father Jenkins, the BOT and Jack Swarbrick and tell them they suck.

I believe Rees was a questionably hire when Kelly hired him, and I still believe it to this day. That's my opinion.
That has NO RELEVANCE REGARDING TODAY’S GAME.

AND YOU DIDNT OBJECT WHEN ND WAS UP 35-13 AT HALFTIME !

That has NO RELEVANCE REGARDING TODAY’S GAME.

AND YOU DIDNT OBJECT WHEN ND WAS UP 35-13 AT HALFTIME !
I stand by my statement. I didn't object, but I also didn't mention Rees either. Still not a fan of the hire, win or lose. He has potential but he needs more experience, he needs to be exposed to different offenses.

Last edited:
Actually he has any Top 5 wins (1) in year one that he had in 12 years at ND.
And Notre Dame has as many top 5 wins in year one without Kelly as Kelly had in 12 years at Notre Dame.

It goes both ways, until he wins a title it's going to be same old same old for big game Brian.

Were you calling for Kelly's head during seasons he lost to less talented teams? His tenure lasted 12 years despite losing to Tulsa, Navy, USF, Northwestern...and getting destroyed, not even being competitive, in games against Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson. I think there is a double standard here.
Don’t forget Miami in 17 and Michigan in 19

I stand by my statement. I didn't object, but I also didn't mention Rees either. Still not a fan of the hire, win or lose. He has potential but he needs more experience, he needs to be exposed to different offenses.
It
So who is the top.

Because you said the buck stops at the top. Then you said its on the players
if you could read you’d know that I bifurcated my response

Yea but I did when he made zero adjustments, left our best running back on the bench, and went for total 16 yards in the second half against 3-7 Navy.
Bullshit, we were up 35-13 and noone with a brain was complaining about the RB rotation.

How do you know he didn't. One half doesn't make someone change their opinion. He's been oC for 3 years
Because he didn’t manifest his dissatisfaction with a post.

And he was successful in previous years, so what changed ?

Yea but I did when he made zero adjustments, left our best running back on the bench, and went for total 16 yards in the second half against 3-7 Navy.
Try reading with a scintilla of comprehension, in particular, the word “halftime” !

Defensive head coaches rarely make offensive adjustments.

Especially when you put up 35 points in the first half.

That's why you have an Offensive Coordinator. If Freeman was an offensive coach, I'd agree with you
Oh great.

Because he didn’t manifest his dissatisfaction with a post.

And he was successful in previous years, so what changed ?
Barely beating toledo, losing to an inferior Cincinnati team, getting shut down consistently by top 10 teams I wouldn't necessarily call that successful.

ADVERTISEMENT