ADVERTISEMENT

Rookie Head Coaching Blues

SouthFloridaIrish88

Shakes Down The Thunder
Aug 16, 2022
Once again MF took over a deep and talented roster, and ND based on they performed vs Ohio State, UNC and Clemson. has shown they can play and beat anyone.

But the mark of all inexperienced coaches at ND, is the massive inconsistency. Through 10 games ND has played 4 absolute stinkers vs B rate football teams

Marshall
Stanford
UNLV
Navy'

If ND was 4-0 in those games, I would not say a word. But if you took over a Top 5 roster and you are .500 in the games you should win? Then you will never, ever, compete for a National Championship.

2nd half vs Navy
0 Points
0 First Downs
1 Turnover
15 yards of offense

That could easily be the worst half of offense in ND football history

Once again MF took over a deep and talented roster, and ND based on they performed vs Ohio State, UNC and Clemson game. has shown they can play with anyone.

But the mark of all inexperienced coaches at ND, is the massive inconsistency. Through 10 games ND has played 4 absolute stinkers vs B rate football teams

Marshall
Stanford
UNLV
Navy'

If ND was 4-0 in those games, I would not say a word. But if you took over a Top 5 roaster and you are .500 in the games you should win? They you will never, ever, compete for a National Championship.

2nd half vs Navy
0 Points
0 First Downs
1 Turnover
15 yards of offense

We dont have a top 5 roster due to the QB and WR room

Once again MF took over a deep and talented roster, and ND based on they performed vs Ohio State, UNC and Clemson. has shown they can play and beat anyone.

Marshall
Stanford
UNLV
Navy'

If ND was 4-0 in those games, I would not say a word. But if you took over a Top 5 roster and you are .500 in the games you should win? Then you will never, ever, compete for a National Championship.

2nd half vs Navy
0 Points
0 First Downs
1 Turnover
15 yards of offense

Can’t argue with the facts !

Where are all of the guys who were singing MF’s praises last week ?

Where’d they go ?

What do they think tonight ?

SouthFlorida agree 100% with you. But MF is who we have and I pray he breaks the trend of first time HC at ND. Hope he learns and fast.

Marshall
Stanford
UNLV
Navy'

2nd half vs Navy
0 Points
0 First Downs
1 Turnover
15 yards of offense

Similar to
USF
Tulsa
Navy x2
Stanford
Cincinnati (roster full of 2-3 star recruits)

4-8 in year 7.

You are clueless
Freeman's first priority after the season is to get a homerun hire OC/QB coach to rid the program of the remnants of the Kelly regime.

Similar to
USF
Tulsa
Navy x2
Stanford
Cincinnati (roster full of 2-3 star recruits)

4-8 in year 7.

You are clueless
Freeman's first priority after the season is to get a homerun hire OC/QB coach to rid the program of the remnants of the Kelly regime.
Meanwhile, Brian Kelly clinched the SEC West today.

In year 1.

Reactions: Pennick4
Meanwhile, Brian Kelly clinched the SEC West today.

In year 1.
lol, and he'll get smoked by Georgia in that game. Kelly is lucky Bama is down this year?
He must the luckiest SOB. All 12 years at ND USC was down, benefitted from soft schedules. 😂

LSU defines success by national championships, and they won't wait 12 years.

Last edited:

Where’d they go ?

I'm here. The issue isn't Freeman. The issue is clearly Rees. He isn't good, he can be, but he needs to go elsewhere to gain some valuable knowledge and see different offenses.

The buck stops at the HC

those trying to make excuses for MF are pathetic fools

THIS is where the inexperience hurts us.

EVERY SINGLE TEAM WE SHOULD HAVE EASILY BEATEN has pushed us to the max or beaten us.

You morons trying to blame all this on Rees I ask this question: this is not a a good Navy team; there is NO EXCUSE for not wiping them out. Half time corrections are what separates a top HC from a wannabe.

So far Freeman has shown zero ability there

Reactions: mec22

Where’d they go ?

And where were you last week? Did you call for MF to be fired then? I didn't see you starting any threads stating that last week.

For some of you (GN, IB, NDL, and you) you don't seem to be happy unless you can complain.

The buck stops at the HC

EVERY SINGLE TEAM WE SHOULD HAVE EASILY BEATEN has pushed us to the max or beaten us.

You morons trying to blame all this on Rees I ask this question: this is not a a good Navy team; there is NO EXCUSE for not wiping them out. Half time corrections are what separates a top HC from a wannabe.

Rees was hired by Jack BEFORE Freeman. That was Jack's BIGGEST Mistake. All Rees knows is a Brian Kelly offense. I didn't see you b*tching when Kelly barely got a win vs Toledo or lost to a Cincinnati team full of 2-3 stars recruits at home by 2 scores.

Reactions: TheSodFather

Where’d they go ?

They think that Notre Dame has went 7-1 in their last eight with 3 ranked wins all with a QB that would struggle at Mount Union.

Reactions: NDinNJ

Marshall
Stanford
UNLV
Navy'

2nd half vs Navy
0 Points
0 First Downs
1 Turnover
15 yards of offense

I don't disagree that the offense was putrid in the second half, but ND does not have a top 5 roster. Only one offensive play maker (Mayer) has a shot to go in the first round of the draft. Other than Joseph, a transfer, and maybe Foskey, who has a shot to go in the second or third round of the draft? No one on defense is going in the first round.

Teams have let downs after winning a big game. ND had one today. They won. They are 7-3. Even the great Brian Kelly's LSU team had trouble putting Arkansas away today. Give Freeman a break.

Rees was hired by Jack BEFORE Freeman. That was Jack's BIGGEST Mistake. All Rees knows is a Brian Kelly offense. I didn't see you b*tching when Kelly barely got a win vs Toledo or lost to a Cincinnati team full of 2-3 stars recruits at home by 2 scores.
[/QUOTE\]

This year's schedule is like an NFL schedule compared to the last few years.

This year's schedule is like an NFL schedule compared to the last few years.

The buck stops at the HC

Defensive head coaches rarely make offensive adjustments.

Especially when you put up 35 points in the first half.

That's why you have an Offensive Coordinator. If Freeman was an offensive coach, I'd agree with you

The buck stops at the HC

I won't make excuses for Freeman. They should have given Navy a burial at sea. They didn't. What can you do about it. They won. They are 7-3 with a roster that Freeman did not put together. He doesn't have a first round pick among his QB, WR or RB room. Mayer might be one at TE, but the offensive playmakers are not in the building. Rees needs to be better and maybe he will be once he gets the players. But right now, they are who they are. They should beat BC, should have a puncher's chance against USC and will likely have a great chance at a bowl victory. Even awesome Brian Kelly has had his troubles at LSU this year and his roster is a lot better than Notre Dame's, at least on the offensive side of the ball. Even if ND was 10-0 at this point, no one with a brain would give them a shot against Georgia or even in a rematch against Ohio State.

I don't disagree that the offense was putrid in the second half, but ND does not have a top 5 roster. Only one offensive play maker (Mayer) has a shot to go in the first round of the draft. Other than Joseph, a transfer, and maybe Foskey, who has a shot to go in the second or third round of the draft? No one on defense is going in the first round.

Teams have let downs after winning a big game. ND had one today. They won. They are 7-3. Even the great Brian Kelly's LSU team had trouble putting Arkansas away today. Give Freeman a break.
What does not having a top 5 roster or a roster that Marcus Freeman did not put together have to do with losing to Marshall and Stanford at home?

What does not having a top 5 roster or a roster that Marcus Freeman did not put together have to do with losing to Marshall and Stanford at home?
Maybe he's responding to the OP who said Notre Dame had a top 5 roster?

Reactions: Golson5
I was replying to the poster's assertion that ND has a top 5 roster. You obviously think they do. Tell me who is a guaranteed first round pick on that roster right now.

Why do hate Freeman so much?
I don't. I asked a question. You gave the excuse that Marcus Freeman "did not put the roster together..."

I simply asked what does that have to do with losing to Marshall and Stanford at home?

What is your problem with Marcus Freeman? Should he not have taken the job at ND? It's not his fault Swarbrick offered him the job. If you were in that position, you would have taken it as well. Blame the ND administration for offering the guy the job, not Freeman for taking it. He's got a lot to learn and lot to do on the recruiting side and Xs and Os, but he'll get there. Anyone expecting him to take this roster and put it in the playoffs against this schedule is a fool. He would have to have beaten three top 10 teams, two of them on the road, with an offense that doesn't make any defensive coordinator lose sleep. I think he's doing the best he can with what he has in his first year. If this is year three or four of his regime, than yes, he deserves the criticism.

I don't. I asked a question. You gave the excuse that Marcus Freeman "did not put the roster together..."

I simply asked what does that have to do with losing to Marshall and Stanford at home?
Answer my question and I'll answer yours.

What is your problem with Marcus Freeman? Should he not have taken the job at ND? It's not his fault Swarbrick offered him the job. If you were in that position, you would have taken it as well. Blame the ND administration for offering the guy the job, not Freeman for taking it. He's got a lot to learn and lot to do on the recruiting side and Xs and Os, but he'll get there. Anyone expecting him to take this roster and put it in the playoffs against this schedule is a fool. He would have to have beaten three top 10 teams, two of them on the road, with an offense that doesn't make any defensive coordinator lose sleep. I think he's doing the best he can with what he has in his first year. If this is year three or four of his regime, than yes, he deserves the criticism.
Playoffs? Who mentioned playoffs?

When teams don't bring their top games, which happens to every team, usually it's the qb or playmakers who get the team over the top

Our QB and WR room leave a ton to be desired

Ian Book and Jack Coan got us over the top in very similar type games over the last 5 years. We don't even have that this year

No Coan, Williams or Austin this year

I didn't see complaining when Kelly was losing to Navy, USF, Tulsa, Navy again, barely getting by Toledo and losing to a far less talented Cincinnati team at home by 2 scores.

When teams don't bring their top games, which happens to every team, usually it's the qb or playmakers who get the team over the top

Our QB and WR room leave a ton to be desired

Ian Book and Jack Coan got us over the top in very similar type games over the last 5 years. We don't even have that this year

No Coan, Williams or Austin this year
Shit I would settle for a QB that could see over the line of scrimmage at this point.

Reactions: TheSodFather
Playoffs? Who mentioned playoffs?
Why do you dislike Freeman so much? Even Brian Kelly struggled early with LSU. Look at the FSU loss in New Orleans. Why did he lose that game? Why did Kelly lose games to Tulsa and Northwestern and numerous other shit teams while he was head coach here? Sometimes, it happens. All you do is criticize Freeman, like you could do any better. The guy is a first year head coach. He's going to make mistakes. He has made mistakes. If ND is still doing this in his third or fourth year or even next year, then sling all the arrows you want. But give the man a chance. Obviously he has already gone farther in life than you ever will.

Reactions: NDblitz and NDinNJ
Why do you dislike Freeman so much? Even Brian Kelly struggled early with LSU. Look at the FSU loss in New Orleans. Why did he lose that game? Why did Kelly lose games to Tulsa and Northwestern and numerous other shit teams while he was head coach here? Sometimes, it happens. All you do is criticize Freeman, like you could do any better. The guy is a first year head coach. He's going to make mistakes. He has made mistakes. If ND is still doing this in his third or fourth year or even next year, then sling all the arrows you want. But give the man a chance. Obviously he has already gone farther in life than you ever will.
Freeman is undefeated against Navy, Kelly is not. That's all that matters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT