ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Game - This is typical ND Scheduling

Appreciate you looking at other teams’ schedules for the first time.
Purdue grad friend that invited me to the game and said they have been preparing for ND already in fall camp, almost like ND does for navy in fall camp.

That’s when he said they have a bye before playing us week 3.

Not sure if I’ll go to the game.

Nd ADs never dictate dates or times for games. Never. Despite how much revenue we bring when we go on the road
Then I don’t understand the title of your thread !

What did you mean by “ typical scheduling” ?

Then I don’t understand the title of your thread !

What did you mean by “ typical scheduling” ?
We tend to allow other teams to have their byes before playing us… just a few years ago 7 teams out of 12 had their bye the week before playing ND

We tend to allow other teams to have their byes before playing us… just a few years ago 7 teams out of 12 had their bye the week before playing ND
But we have no control over the other team’s schedule, we have open dates on our schedule that we have to fill, and we don’t look at the opposing team’s schedule when filling an open slot

We tend to allow...?

We have zero control over it.
Not true at all

Simple one. Why do we play usc or Stanford at home in October but the other always away last game after thanksgiving? Who does that benefit and hurt?

We have catered to other teams for far too long

Riley isn’t sure if our rivalry can continue.

Every time nd travels to an opposing school it’s their biggest revenue game of their season yet we let them dictate our schedule. We’re not in a conference so that hurts now with the realignments

Nd needs to figure out how they will manage amongst the new conferences. They don’t want to play tough ooc games

Last edited:
Not true at all

Simple one. Why do we play usc or Stanford at home in October but the other always away last game after thanksgiving? Who does that benefit and hurt?

Every time nd travels to an opposing school it’s their biggest revenue game of their season yet we let them dictate our schedule. We’re not in a conference so that hurts now with the realignments

You're nuts. We don't let other schools dictate our schedule. You are overly obsessed with bye games. Let me repeat---we can only schedule games with other schools. We can't demand who who other schools do or don't schedule in the weeks before they play us.

Not true at all

Nd needs to figure out how they will manage amongst the new conferences. They don’t want to play tough ooc games
Find a hobby.

You're nuts. We don't let other schools dictate our schedule. You are overly obsessed with bye games. Let me repeat---we can only schedule games with other schools. We can't demand who who other schools do or don't schedule in the weeks before they play us.
Then why do we always play our last game of season on the road?

Not true at all

You are out of touch with reality and how scheduling is determined

Scheduling is done years in advance, sometimes 10 years in advance

For many years, USC was the last game of the season at USC

It’s almost a tradition

I’d be more concerned about when we insert our bye week

Last edited:
Are you new to ND? Have played the last game of season in warm weather (Miami, LA, Palo Alto, Raleigh) since the 50’s. Allowed for a senior trip and also took advantage of some of the student body being home

Are you new to ND? Have played the last game of season in warm weather (Miami, LA, Palo Alto, Raleigh) since the 50’s. Allowed for a senior trip and also took advantage of some of the student body being home
It’s not an advantage to the football team is my point… and you confirmed it by not stating how it helps the football team

No other team does that for a reason. Your guarantees to have a tough road game to end your season with further travel

No need to go down this path further, we know nd doesn’t schedule with the student athlete in mind. It’s been that way for decades

It’s not an advantage to the football team is my point… and you confirmed it by not stating how it helps the football team

No other team does that for a reason. Your guarantees to have a tough road game to end your season with further travel

No need to go down this path further, we know nd doesn’t schedule with the student athlete in mind. It’s been that way for decades
It may or may not be advantageous to the team. But that's beside the point. The point is that this is something ND chooses to do.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Nasty, here is some info on why Purdue has a bye week on Sept 7: Purdue Scheduling

In short, they had an opponent lined up for Sept 7 but something changed and they were going to be forced to have a bye week 1, so they moved their Sept 7 game to Aug 31, thus creating the bye before ND. As a Purdue coach I'd welcome a full game against a weaker opponent to see what I have as a team and then make adjustments during the bye week for my big opponent ND. Some folks find a way to solve problems and stay positive while others find the ways to fail and bring forth negativity.

Purdue did what they had to, and ND doesn't give a crap what Purdue does.

I've also noticed a trend (you mentioned it - 7 opponents had a bye week before ND) that ND opponents like the bye before our game, not just for schematic advantage but the campus and the city prepare for what is likely their biggest home game in several years. They want to capitalize on all that is ND visiting.

Last edited:
Nasty, here is some info on why Purdue has a bye week on Sept 7. Purdue Scheduling

In short, they had an opponent lined up for Sept 7 but something changed and they were going to be forced to have a bye week 1, so they moved their Sept 7 game to Aug 31, thus creating the bye before ND. As a Purdue coach I'd welcome a full game against a weaker opponent to see what I have as a team and then make adjustments during the bye week for my big opponent ND. Some folks find a way to solve problems and stay positive while others find the ways to fail and bring forth negativity.

Purdue did what they had too, and ND doesn't give a crap what Purdue does.

I've also noticed a trend (you mentioned it- 7 opponents had a bye week before ND) that ND opponents like the bye before our game, not just for schematic advantage but the campus and the city prepare for what is likely their biggest home game in several years. They want to capitalize on all that is ND visiting.
Was there not a game lined up for the 31st originally?

I love going to nd road games and seeing all they do for the game. Like you said, it’s not their normal game day set up around campus.

There is something else that you should know, something you seem oblivious to

Notre Dame’s schedule has a lot to do with Notre Dame‘s recruiting

Notre Dame has historically been one of the few football teams with a national schedule because Notre Dame has a national fan base.

Playing in California and Florida late in the season helps recruiting !

Man, you are all over the place in this thread. Now that you have been skewered about Purdue having a bye in week 2, you now are complaining about the last game of the season.

And you are now contradicting previous arguments you made for ND joining a conference.

In fact the difficult road game to end the season provides opportunity to show ND is playoff worthy and detracts from the “lack of conference game” narrative. Also, the football players appreciate having the couple days over the holiday in warm weather, know that first hand.

Thanks for trying out

Reactions: NDSMC78
Man, you are all over the place in this thread. Now that you have been skewered about Purdue having a bye in week 2, you now are complaining about the last game of the season.

And you are now contradicting previous arguments you made for ND joining a conference.

In fact the difficult road game to end the season provides opportunity to show ND is playoff worthy and detracts from the “lack of conference game” narrative. Also, the football players appreciate having the couple days over the holiday in warm weather, know that first hand.

Thanks for trying out
Soooo we’ve learned a week 2 bye for a team is normal and traveling 3 time zones every year for your final game is a recruiting advantage and players love it!

What’s amazing is that no east coast or even central big ten teams are traveling to any west coast big ten teams for the final game of the season!!! Wow, what idiots if it’s such a recruiting advantage and players love it!

Learn something every day!

Soooo we’ve learned a week 2 bye for a team is normal and traveling 3 time zones every year for your final game is a recruiting advantage and players love it!

What’s amazing is that no east coast or even central big ten teams are traveling to any west coast big ten teams for the final game of the season!!! Wow, what idiots if it’s such a recruiting advantage and players love it!

And you have a lot more to learn, I just don’t think there are enough days left in the century

There are no East Coast teams with the historical national footprint that rivals Notre Dame’s.
Ditto the Big Ten teams

Notre Dame, more than any other team has a long history of playing a national schedule, more than any other team, and that has helped recruiting for decades upon decades

It’s obvious that you don’t know much about Notre Dame football

Try golf.

All of the other teams have their schedules dictated by the conference which has to take orders from the media company writing the checks.

Also, do you even Knute Rockne?

lol, you need a bigger shovel.

You are saying those 3 hours time difference once a year, every year… is not worth recruiting Cali? Are you disputing that players don’t like it, yes or no? Make sure you answer.

And traveling the final game has no possible forward inpact, since there are no more games until bowl season. Your reasoning can’t be more wrong. Unless you are saying 18-22 year olds will have travel fatigue for years to come. Let’s hear you state that.

And let’s not forget you started this thread about Purdue having a second week bye. Lmfao

Now let’s address your ‘central big ten teams, west coast big ten teams’ comment. You are referencing such before the first season on the new big10?!! lol, straw man much?

A more legit argument would have been complaining about the USC schedule, which has the Trojans going to LSU, then back to SC, then a week off before Mich (think Mich fans are complaining that SC has a bye week?), then back to SC, then to Minn, then back to SC, then to MD, then back to SC, then to Wash, then back to SC. So 4 cross country trips…hmmm. UCLA ‘s is not much better. Clearly the big10 protected Mich and OSU and screwed over the WC teams. So what is your narrative there?

Reactions: tbonesays
My personal opinion is one, the bye i think is more detrimental to Purrdue then ND. At the start of a season you want to get into some kind of rhythem and an early break cuts into that rhythem and lastly, for ND an opponent having a break is something you need not worry about. All that it means to ND is the importance to start each prior game efficiently. In todays era of large conferences and scheduling, early byes become hard to avoid.

We play purdue 3rd week of the season. They have a bye week 2 before they play us. Hilarious.

We should still win no problem, but, help the team out once ADs.
You worry about the most idiotic things ..

I would rather the Army game in Week 11 be at home rather than in NY -- senseless travel the week before heading out west (and potentially, to finish a 12-0 season -- hopefully!)

You worry about the most idiotic things ..

I would rather the Army game in Week 11 be at home rather than in NY -- senseless travel the week before heading out west (and potentially, to finish a 12-0 season -- hopefully!)
I don't worry about it, i just brought up something very unique that doesn't happen often (week 2 bye before playing rival).

I agree, Army in NY for a night game before traveling out west is again, another example of revenue vs giving our players and team the best chance.

ND "chooses" to end the season in California as it transitions right into west coast recruiting -- especially now with the early signing period (if there may be some who are on the fence).

Now -- with USC in the B1G and Stanford in the ACC, that may change in the future.

ND "chooses" to end the season in California as it transitions right into west coast recruiting -- especially now with the early signing period (if there may be some who are on the fence).

Now -- with USC in the B1G and Stanford in the ACC, that may change in the future.
ND does not Choose to end their season in California. They have adapted to HAVING to end their season in California if they want to continue both stanford and USC rivalry.

How does ND "tend to allow" opponents to have a bye week before ND?
Because we lock in many teams years in advance (especially ACC), then allow the ACC as an example to determine where they plug their teams into our schedule.

Example - In 2025, we have 5 ACC opponents we know we are playing and know if it's home or away, then the other schools/ACC decide where to plug them.

Because we lock in many teams years in advance (especially ACC), then allow the ACC as an example to determine where they plug their teams into our schedule.

Example - In 2025, we have 5 ACC opponents we know we are playing and know if it's home or away, then the other schools/ACC decide where to plug them.

So what are you suggesting? That ND doesn't schedule future games until ND knows when other schools have their bye games? That's never going to work.

No. That's something we wanted
Then that's AD spin IMO, because i was told many years ago ND couldn't get Stanford or USC to come to ND last game or even late in the season.

Maybe I'm wrong, or was told wrong. I'm not sure why we wouldn't want to play USC in november occasionally to help us out. USC struggled on a chilly night in 2019 that was mid October.

So what are you suggesting? That ND doesn't schedule future games until ND knows when other schools have their bye games? That's never going to work.
I don't have a great suggestion (i'm not ready to say we must join a conference but i'm close). With the power 4 re alignment, it's going to be ND catering to most other teams conferences and schedules, that already started when ND agreed to play 5 ACC teams every year in a rotation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT