ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Transfers, 5th Years and Retirees

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Happy New Years Guys!

Guys that I wouldn't be shocked to see transfer...

Quarterback

Brandon Wimbush OR Ian Book OR Avery Davis. I fully expect one of those three to transfer after spring ball. Whoever is clearly running third likely leaves the program with Jurkovec coming in the fall.

Running Back

Deon McIntosh or CJ Holmes. Just a gut feeling that at least one the two youngsters that got in trouble leading up to the bowl will not be with the team next year.

Wide Receiver

CJ Sanders has already announced that he will graduate in the summer and take a grad transfer year elsewhere. KJ Stepherson could elect to transfer even if Brian Kelly does not dismiss him from the program. He may look for a fresh start elsewhere. Javon Mckinley is another guy I have my eye on, as I do all California players that aren't regular contributors by their sophomore season. McKinley took a redshirt this year to fully heal from a broken leg which means he may be able to play immediately if he transfers elsewhere.

Offensive Line

Harry Hiestand doesn't lose too many guys to transfer but I'm keeping my eye on Aaron Banks. Obviously I don't expect Banks to start next year, but if he's not the #6 or #7 guy and doesn't look like he'll dress next fall, I'll be interested to see how he handles it.

Defensive Line

It was reported that Jonathan MaCollister wasn't at practices leading up to the Bowl Game. I've had him on my list of potential transfers for a while, ever since his buddy transferred back home because of his strange allergy situation. Won't be shocked if ND loses yet another defensive end to attrition.

Corners

Donte Vaughn is the guy I'll have my eye on at the end of spring. Depending on what happens with Nick Watkins, I don't see Vaughn wanting to be the 5th corner behind Watkins, Love, Pride and Crawford. A lot can happen at that position though so I'm not feeling as strongly avout Vaughn as some others.

Safeties

This is a position that flat out needs to be thinned out. Both Coleman and Elliott were benched in the 4th quarter vs LSU after playing abysmal games and Kelly noted his frustration in their inability to make a play on the ball. They were replaced by Genmark-Heath and Studstill, who both played better in a small sample size. Personnally I'd like to see Genmark-Heath move to Rover. He's already 6'1, 220lbs and is obviously at his best as a box player. I'd love to see him move to Rover to tutor under Tranquill, along with Owusu-Koromoah so that Bilal can bumo inside to Buck to shore up the depth there.... So you have Nick Coleman, Jalen Elliott, Devin Studstill, Nicco Fertitta, Jordan Genmark-Heath, Isaiah Robertson, DJ Morgan, Derrik Allen, Houston Griffith and Paul Moala at safety in 2018? What a mess... Move Genmark-Heath to rover, convince two others to transfer and work with a manageble 7 man unit instead of a 10 man group with some seriously dead weight.

Guys that I think will be legitimate 5th year candidates in 2018...

C: Sam Mustipher
OG: Alex Bars
TE: Nick Weishar
SDE: Jay Hayes
CB: Nick Watkins
P: Tyler Newsome
Rover: Drue Tranquill

Guys that I think might retire or take medicals...

DT: Jonathan Bonner (pursuing options)
WR: Freddy Canteen (shoulder)
LB: David Adams (shoulder)

My ideal depth chart heading into 2018, assuming Josh Adams leaves for the draft. * players could also leave.

QB: Phil Jurkovec or Brandon Wimbush or Ian Book or Avery Davis.

RB: Dexter Williams
2. Tony Jones

WR: EQ St. Brown*
2. Miles Boykin or Kevin Austin Jr

WR: Kevin Stepherson*
2. Chase Claypool

Slot: Michael Young
2. Chris Finke or Braden Lenzy

TE(A): Nick Weishar
2. Brock Wright

TE(UA): Aliz'e Mack
2. Cole Kmet

LT: Liam Eichenberg
2. Josh Lugg

LG: Tommy Kraemer
2. Aaron Banks

2. Trevor Ruhland

RG: Alex Bars
2. Aaron Banks

RT: Robert Hainsey
2. Josh Lugg

SDE: Khalid Kareem
2. Ade Ogundeji

DT: Jay Hayes
2. Jayson Ademilola or Kurt Hinish

NG: Jerry Tillery*
2. MTA or Darnell Ewell

WDE: Daelin Hayes
2. Julian Okwara

Buck: Asmar Bilal
2. Jamir Jones or Jack Lamb

Mike: Te'Von Coney*
2. Jamir Jones or Jhonathan Jones

2. Jordan Genmark-Heath or JOK

CB: Julian Love
2. Shaun Crawford

FS: Derrik Allen
2. Nick Coleman or Houston Griffith

SS: Alohi Gilman
2. Isaiah Robertson

CB: Nick Watkins*
2. Troy Pride Jr

NB: Shaun Crawford
2. Houston Griffith

Reactions: SIhoosier26
So you have Nick Coleman, Jalen Elliott, Devin Studstill, Nicco Fertitta, Jordan Genmark-Heath, Isaiah Robertson, DJ Morgan, Derrik Allen, Houston Griffith and Paul Moala at safety in 2018? What a mess...

You forgot Gilman, which makes it even messier.

I was watching the games yesterday with a high school coach from Cobb County who is very familiar with Derrik Allen. He thinks he's very close to being too big to play safety at the highest level, and sees him as a perfect fit at rover in our system. FWIW.

IIO, I must have missed it, or haven't heard much on David Adams. You listed him as a possible retiree or medical. What's up with him???

Thanks IIO. I'd like to see a guy like McKinley get a chance. If Stepherson is gone he should. Don't see Deon leaving after such a productive year and with the two guys ahead of him having missed much of the season with injuries. Seems like we have another circus a QB but I imagine Ian has the upper hand after yesterday.

My biggest (and growing) fear is that Coney leaves early. With him, Tranquill and Aholi we have a nice solid anchor for next year's defense. I don't see how we fill both LB's spots and play the kind of D this team is capable of playing.

Any thoughts about your perceived lack of heart or grit from ND football after yesterday's comeback victory. Seems like the heart sometimes leads with the head (leaders) and Ian Book and Te'von Coney willed this team to victory yesterday. We need guys like that to step up in 2018. We played a killer schedule this year and many of these guys are now forged in fire. Lets see it next year!

I'm interested in Coney's decision for sure. On one hand, he played a monster game and that might have solidified his decision to leave. On the other hand, BK and staff will most certainly try to use that as a way to convince him to return and be the anchor, lead the D and raise his stock even further by having an "all-american" type senior year.

If Coney stays, and stays on his current path of improvement, he could be a first round draft pick next year. Please come back TC!!

IIO, I must have missed it, or haven't heard much on David Adams. You listed him as a possible retiree or medical. What's up with him???
Adams has a shoulder issue that might require him to give up football. Hopefully not but that has been the rumour.

I was watching the games yesterday with a high school coach from Cobb County who is very familiar with Derrik Allen. He thinks he's very close to being too big to play safety at the highest level, and sees him as a perfect fit at rover in our system. FWIW.

I did include Gilman in my depth chart prediction but you are right, I forgot him in that paragraph...

Allen is interesting because I tend to agree with what your coach friend said as a long term position fit. I also think that while most people think Simon is an ideal rover candidate, I see his long term fit at Buck.

Football is changing. It's all about getting bulked up athletes into positions that they are plus athletes at.

Derrik Allen is 6'2, 215lbs
Shayne Simon is 6'2.5, 220lbs

Yes you could carve 10lbs off of Allen and rebuild him into a 215lbs Mr. Olympia at safety, and slowly build Simon into a 230lbs wrecking ball at Rover.... But my preference would be to bulk Allen up in the 230lb range like they did Tranquill and like they should Genmark-Heath and let him be friggen terminator running around at Rover size, with safety speed and ball skills.

Same goes with Simon. Jack him up to 235lbs (his frame can handke it easily) and you have prototype Buck backer, with Rover / safety speed and coverage skills... Both kids are plenty physical and they're athletic freaks.

CJ's grad transfer request confirmed (at least via apparent discussions with his mother)

Saunders -- just saw it. good luck to him. I wonder if UCLA and chip might bite. they are saying Vandy.

Who is our kick returner next year?

Thanks IIO. I'd like to see a guy like McKinley get a chance. If Stepherson is gone he should. Don't see Deon leaving after such a productive year and with the two guys ahead of him having missed much of the season with injuries. Seems like we have another circus a QB but I imagine Ian has the upper hand after yesterday.

My biggest (and growing) fear is that Coney leaves early. With him, Tranquill and Aholi we have a nice solid anchor for next year's defense. I don't see how we fill both LB's spots and play the kind of D this team is capable of playing.

Any thoughts about your perceived lack of heart or grit from ND football after yesterday's comeback victory. Seems like the heart sometimes leads with the head (leaders) and Ian Book and Te'von Coney willed this team to victory yesterday. We need guys like that to step up in 2018. We played a killer schedule this year and many of these guys are now forged in fire. Lets see it next year!

I think the heart issue will continue to be a problem until you recruit kids who are mentally tough and foster that edginess and toughness in the program. You recruit to it. You condition it in your players and you be relentless in demanding it. You also need leaders that display it....

Re-watch the game yesterday. When I watch an ND game I don't watch as a fan anymore. I watch things that a coach would look for. Body language and how guys react in situations is important to me. It gives you an idea of their mental toughness and the attitude they play the game with... Some guys get it. Some don't. Rather than focus on the negatives (I've done that a lot lately) let me give you some examples of guys matching LSU's intensity and not backing down an inch.

Quenton Nelson just makes people his bitch. It's what he does. He had a block on an Ian Book scramble where he body slammed the LSU defensive tackle. The guy tried to scrape over Quenton to get to Ian and gave up his leverage. Nelson looked down at him lying helplessly on the ground, walked over him and carried on... It was a look of "you have no hope, so stop trying. You aren't in my league and next time you try that you might not get back up..." That savage demeanor helps seperate Quenton. Guys are afraid of him on the field. He sets a tone not only with his technique, but with his attitude... And for the record, Nelson is nowhere close to a goon or a thug.

Drue Tranquill. When he blew up the end around on a great read and a sure tackle he was excited and got his guys fired up. He not only made that tackle but he hit Gage hard. That is a staple of Canada's offense. After Tranquill murdered his motion man (Gage) they never came back to it. Tranquill basically removed a key component from their playbook. That's mental toughness and leadership... And for the record, you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer kid than Tranquill, who started his post game interview by welcoming back Tim Prister from a heart attack.

Julian Love has developed into a warrior. He's really solid in coverage and hits like a ton of bricks. After he owned Chark for the first quarter, the talented receiver made an inevitable catch in Love's face and got up talking a ton of smack. A few plays later he caught a stop route and Love decleated him and Chark was noticeably slow to get up. Love was right in his ear as he limped back to the huddle. Just letting him know that if you want to talk shit, you're going to get hit... Probably telling him that it was going to be a long day for him... That's the cold heartedness you need to play the game. Chark felt the doubt creep in. He made two fairly harmless catches the rest of the way and Love dropped what would have been a pick 6 on a ball targeted to him late. Julian ate him alive... Have you ever listened to a Julian Love interview? You'd pray your daughter brought that kid home. He's an outstanding young guy.

Then there was Te'Von Coney, who provided me my proudest moment of the season as an ND fan. Derrius Guice was jacked up for that game. And he's a damn good player. He was starting to wear the ND defense down a little bit with his physical play. And he was talking an enormous amount of smack, trying to intimidate people... Coney meets him on an outside run and brings him down hard. Guice gets up talking and walks towards Coney, who was walking away. Te'Von being the "I take no shit" player that he is, turns around gets right in Guice's face and goes right back at him. Guice winds up pushing him and both go back to their huddles... In that moment I knew the defense would be alright. The same way I knew it would be alright when Michael Stonebreaker stepped up to shut a guy up when his defense was getting beat on a little bit. Te'Von went on to record 17 tackles, most of which were on Guice and Williams, and he was hitting hard. Dude was playing for keeps... But more imoportantly, the entire defense saw him step up to Guice, face to face and tell him to "shut the the **** up". If you've ever been in an intense team situation and watched a leader lead in a moment like that, you understand how galvanizing that is for the unit. Everyone gets tougher. Everyone gets braver and everyone gets meaner. It washes over the group like a fervor... And for the record, Te'Von Coney may be edgy, but he's a fine representative of ND and far from a thug or and a dangerous criminal.

It's a cruel game, played by tough people. ND just needs more of that and they need to foster that attitude and harness it on the field.

Last edited:
Saunders -- just saw it. good luck to him. I wonder if UCLA and chip might bite. they are saying Vandy.

He's from Tennessee. Vandy makes sense.

Lenzy or Young will be the kick returner next year.

I think the heart issue will continue to be a problem until you recruit kids who are mentally tough and foster that edginess and toughness in the program. You recruit to it. You condition it in your players and you be relentless in demanding it. You also need leaders that display it....

Re-watch the game yesterday. When I watch an ND game I don't watch as a fan anymore. I watch things that a coach would look for. Body language and how guys react in situations is important to me. It gives you an idea of their mental toughness and the attitude they play the game with... Some guys get it. Some don't. Rather than focus on the negatives (I've done that a lot lately) let me give you some examples of guys matching LSU's intensity and not backing down an inch.

Quenton Nelson just makes people his bitch. It's what he does. He had a block on an Ian Book scramble where he body slammed the LSU defensive tackle. The guy tried to scrape over Quenton to get to Ian and gave up his leverage. Nelson looked down at him lying helplessly on the ground, walked over him and carried on... It was a look of "you have no hope, so stop trying. You aren't in my league and next time you try that you might not get back up..." That savage demeanor helps seperate Quenton. Guys are afraid of him on the field. He sets a tone not only with his technique, but with his attitude... And for the record, Nelson is nowhere close to a goon or a thug.

Drue Tranquill. When he blew up the end around on a great read and a sure tackle he was excited and got his guys fired up. He not only made that tackle but he hit Gage hard. That is a staple of Canada's offense. After Tranquill murdered his motion man (Gage) they never came back to it. Tranquill basically removed a key component from their playbook. That's mental toughness and leadership... And for the record, you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer kid than Tranquill, who started his post game interview by welcoming back Tim Prister from a heart attack.

Julian Love has developed into a warrior. He's really solid in coverage and hits like a ton of bricks. After he owned Chark for the first quarter, the talented receiver made an inevitable catch in Love's face and got up talking a ton of smack. A few plays later he caught a stop route and Love decleated him and Chark was noticeably slow to get up. Love was right in his ear as he limped back to the huddle. Just letting him know that if you want to talk shit, you're going to get hit... Probably telling him that it was going to be a long day for him... That's the cold heartedness you need to play the game. Chark felt the doubt creep in. He made two fairly harmless catches the rest of the way and Love dropped what would have been a pick 6 on a ball targeted to him late. Julian ate him alive... Have you ever listened to a Julian Love interview? You'd pray your daughter brought that kid home. He's an outstanding young guy.

Then there was Te'Von Coney, who provided me my proudest moment of the season as an ND fan. Derrius Guice was jacked up for that game. And he's a damn good player. He was starting to wear the ND defense down a little bit with his physical play. And he was talking an enormous amount of smack, trying to intimidate people... Coney meets him on an outside run and brings him down hard. Guice gets up talking and walks towards Coney, who was walking away. Te'Von being the "I take no shit" player that he is, turns around gets right in Guice's face and goes right back at him. Guice winds up pushing him and both go back to their huddles... In that moment I knew the defense would be alright. The same way I knew it would be alright when Michael Stonebreaker stepped up to shut a guy up when his defense was getting beat on a little bit. Te'Von went on to record 17 tackles, most of which were on Guice and Williams, and he was hitting hard. Dude was playing for keeps... But more imoportantly, the entire defense saw him step up to Guice, face to face and tell him to "shut the the **** up". If you've ever been in an intense team situation and watched a leader lead in a moment like that, you understand how galvanizing that is for the unit. Everyone gets tougher. Everyone gets braver and everyone gets meaner. It washes over the group like a fervor... And for the record, Te'Von Coney may be edgy, but he's a fine representative of ND and far from a thug or and a dangerous criminal.

It's a cruel game, played by tough people. ND just needs more of that and they need to foster that attitude and harness it on the field.
beautifully said

IIO,

I know this is asking a lot of you, but could you do a position by position of the last two incoming recruiting classes taking into consideration the physical changes in the frosh that may impact their positions, and *sadly* the possible transfers and medical hardship players? I think it's always interesting to look at the two most recent recruiting classes. Maybe some posts like that will distract the negative commentators for a few days, um hours, aww hell, minutes. You'd think we lost a New Years Day game or something.

Nice list.. I don’t see many difference makers so only problem becomes depth. I love Sanders though, I thought he could have been used more with his speed like how Lou used Rocket.

Nice analysis, IIO. I'd also like to add Ian Book for the way he came back from that awful int. QBs can't hit guys the way the players above do. But there is toughness in that too. He wasn't going to let us lose. (I just haven't gotten that sense from BW. Love BW, seems to have all the skills but I haven't seen him do it down the wire like Ian did all year.) Boykin's two big (and very difficult) catches show a Floyd-like toughness.

Let's hope this is sign of things to come. And damn, I do hope Coney comes back to lead this defense with that bad (and I mean good) attitude. Really gonna miss Q.

He's from Tennessee. Vandy makes sense.

Lenzy or Young will be the kick returner next year.

I think Bracy might be a candidate. He has take it to the house speed like Lenzy and is elusive. He is slight of build and I believe kick returners need some bulk to avoid arm tackles.

How about Dexter or Finke?

I'm assuming Adams is gone, which makes Williams one of your two featured backs. You don't often line that guy up as a kick returner. I don't think Finke has the straight line speed and one cut ability you want in a kicm returner.

It's a good thing our recruits didn't take IIO's advice or the program would be screwed. I also noticed Saquon Barkley helping up opponents from the ground more than a couple of times.

Reactions: francade

"In that moment I knew the defense would be alright. The same way I knew it would be alright when Michael Stonebreaker stepped up to shut a guy up when his defense was getting beat on a little bit. Te'Von went on to record 17 tackles, most of which were on Guice and Williams, and he was hitting hard. Dude was playing for keeps... But more imoportantly, the entire defense saw him step up to Guice, face to face and tell him to "shut the the **** up". If you've ever been in an intense team situation and watched a leader lead in a moment like that, you understand how galvanizing that is for the unit. Everyone gets tougher. Everyone gets braver and everyone gets meaner. It washes over the group like a fervor..."

IIO -- that is so right! And that is the element that has been missing for years -- look back to 88-93 -- people like Stonebreaker, Zorich, Stams, Alm (and many others) -- those guys had an edge to them...they played with passion, aggression, and a sense of urgency...

I think you have the above priorities backwards. Yes, you recruit kids who are mentally tough and edgy but just about every coach knows that and says that. The key and the priority is the second point. The coaches are responsible for bringing that toughness and edginess out of players, and yes, it can be coached. Look at Lou's teams. Both Bettis and Watters said Holtz changed their mentality as players. Initially, neither ran as tough as Holtz expected and demanded. Through grueling, repetitive practices and tough mind games they were forced to change their mental and physical approaches or they weren't going to play. They were just 2 examples. Vince Lombardi said, "leaders are made, they are not born" and he is exactly right. There are too many mediocre coaches out there who half-ass their responsibility to mold young men into leaders with a killer instinct because they wrongly think a lot of what it takes to mold young men is out of their hands. As a former Marine I know for a fact that isn't true. Is everyone going to respond the right way? No, but when a large group has a "toughness" deficiency I don't try to solve the problem by first looking at the individuals in the group. I look at the leader of that group and his methods for trying to instill toughness and that's where the deficiency lies. Always.

Reactions: Mihalko35
I think you have the above priorities backwards. Yes, you recruit kids who are mentally tough and edgy but just about every coach knows that and says that. The key and the priority is the second point. The coaches are responsible for bringing that toughness and edginess out of players, and yes, it can be coached. Look at Lou's teams. Both Bettis and Watters said Holtz changed their mentality as players. Initially, neither ran as tough as Holtz expected and demanded. Through grueling, repetitive practices and tough mind games they were forced to change their mental and physical approaches or they weren't going to play. They were just 2 examples. Vince Lombardi said, "leaders are made, they are not born" and he is exactly right. There are too many mediocre coaches out there who half-ass their responsibility to mold young men into leaders with a killer instinct because they wrongly think a lot of what it takes to mold young men is out of their hands. As a former Marine I know for a fact that isn't true. Is everyone going to respond the right way? No, but when a large group has a "toughness" deficiency I don't try to solve the problem by first looking at the individuals in the group. I look at the leader of that group and his methods for trying to instill toughness and that's where the deficiency lies. Always.

My priorities aren't backwards. I actually agree with you 100%. Logistically, however, the recruitment of a player happens before you have a chance to indoctrinate him into your program... Therefore, it's essential that you do your best in vetting out how tough a kid is and how much he'll be able to handle. Unfortunately, not all kids have the capacity to be coached really hard and be successful.

My priorities aren't backwards. I actually agree with you 100%. Logistically, however, the recruitment of a player happens before you have a chance to indoctrinate him into your program... Therefore, it's essential that you do your best in vetting out how tough a kid is and how much he'll be able to handle. Unfortunately, not all kids have the capacity to be coached really hard and be successful.
I get what you are saying but my point is if we assume a significant problem with this year's team was a lack of toughness and edginess, and I agree both were significant deficiencies, I don't think the key to solving that problem is to try to recruit tougher players to begin with because I think we are already doing that. Is it obvious we are doing that? No, but when you look at the film and interviews of the kids we are recruiting and have been recruiting and compare that to the film and interviews of the kids Stanford (as an example) has been recruiting, is there a toughness gap that is obvious between the two groups of high school recruits? Sure, I've heard it said that Stanford coaches look for players who not only can meet their academic requirements but who also love playing football more than going to school, but BK has said the same thing, more or less, without being as direct about football needing to be the number one priority. His Right Kind of Guys speech includes the need to have a love for football. Both schools have similar academic challenges and both recruit the same types of players but, while Stanford's teams can be characterized as mentally and physically tough over the last several years, BK's ND teams haven't been - at least not to the level of Stanford. So, if we were just comparing ourselves to Stanford and we wondered, why aren't we as tough as Stanford? I don't think we'd conclude they are, on average, recruiting a significantly tougher high school kid to begin with. I think we'd conclude they have a different culture, different training, and different coaching philosophy that results in developing toughness within more of their players, and that's where I'd start if I was trying to fix this problem. I'd look at our culture, training, and coaching philosophy. Some of that was done this past off-season, but as the results of the November fade showed, more changes need to be made.

I was thinking the same thing about Allen. He's a big boy without elite speed. Elite ball skills and vision/tackling however.

As for Coney do you guys think his only playing run down will affect his NFL grade? If he interviews with a GM and he's asked why aren't you playing on 2nd and long or 3rd down, how does he answer? I hope he stays and perfects his all around game. The kid is a baller!

Doesn't make a lot of difference. If they can run straight ahead to the 20 and fall down, the results are the same.

Actually Sanders had three touchdowns as a kick returner and one as a punt returner (a job he lost this year.) Let's see how that matches up in ND history:

Rocket had 5.
Tim Brown and Allen Rossum also had 3!

Good luck to you CJ!

As for Coney do you guys think his only playing run down will affect his NFL grade? If he interviews with a GM and he's asked why aren't you playing on 2nd and long or 3rd down, how does he answer? I hope he stays and perfects his all around game. The kid is a baller!
If he s honest he'll say he has a lot of work to do in coverage to be a 3 down player. He would benefit greatly by coming back but I'll never blame a kid for wanting to get paid for his skills.

Happy New Years Guys!

Guys that I wouldn't be shocked to see transfer...

Quarterback

Brandon Wimbush OR Ian Book OR Avery Davis. I fully expect one of those three to transfer after spring ball. Whoever is clearly running third likely leaves the program with Jurkovec coming in the fall.

Running Back

Deon McIntosh or CJ Holmes. Just a gut feeling that at least one the two youngsters that got in trouble leading up to the bowl will not be with the team next year.

Wide Receiver

CJ Sanders has already announced that he will graduate in the summer and take a grad transfer year elsewhere. KJ Stepherson could elect to transfer even if Brian Kelly does not dismiss him from the program. He may look for a fresh start elsewhere. Javon Mckinley is another guy I have my eye on, as I do all California players that aren't regular contributors by their sophomore season. McKinley took a redshirt this year to fully heal from a broken leg which means he may be able to play immediately if he transfers elsewhere.

Offensive Line

Harry Hiestand doesn't lose too many guys to transfer but I'm keeping my eye on Aaron Banks. Obviously I don't expect Banks to start next year, but if he's not the #6 or #7 guy and doesn't look like he'll dress next fall, I'll be interested to see how he handles it.

Defensive Line

It was reported that Jonathan MaCollister wasn't at practices leading up to the Bowl Game. I've had him on my list of potential transfers for a while, ever since his buddy transferred back home because of his strange allergy situation. Won't be shocked if ND loses yet another defensive end to attrition.

Corners

Donte Vaughn is the guy I'll have my eye on at the end of spring. Depending on what happens with Nick Watkins, I don't see Vaughn wanting to be the 5th corner behind Watkins, Love, Pride and Crawford. A lot can happen at that position though so I'm not feeling as strongly avout Vaughn as some others.

Safeties

This is a position that flat out needs to be thinned out. Both Coleman and Elliott were benched in the 4th quarter vs LSU after playing abysmal games and Kelly noted his frustration in their inability to make a play on the ball. They were replaced by Genmark-Heath and Studstill, who both played better in a small sample size. Personnally I'd like to see Genmark-Heath move to Rover. He's already 6'1, 220lbs and is obviously at his best as a box player. I'd love to see him move to Rover to tutor under Tranquill, along with Owusu-Koromoah so that Bilal can bumo inside to Buck to shore up the depth there.... So you have Nick Coleman, Jalen Elliott, Devin Studstill, Nicco Fertitta, Jordan Genmark-Heath, Isaiah Robertson, DJ Morgan, Derrik Allen, Houston Griffith and Paul Moala at safety in 2018? What a mess... Move Genmark-Heath to rover, convince two others to transfer and work with a manageble 7 man unit instead of a 10 man group with some seriously dead weight.

Guys that I think will be legitimate 5th year candidates in 2018...

OG: Alex Bars
TE: Nick Weishar
SDE: Jay Hayes
CB: Nick Watkins
P: Tyler Newsome

Guys that I think might retire or take medicals...

DT: Jonathan Bonner (pursuing options)
WR: Freddy Canteen (shoulder)
LB: David Adams (shoulder)

My ideal depth chart heading into 2018, assuming Josh Adams leaves for the draft. * players could also leave.

QB: Phil Jurkovec or Brandon Wimbush or Ian Book or Avery Davis.

RB: Dexter Williams
2. Tony Jones

WR: EQ St. Brown*
2. Miles Boykin or Kevin Austin Jr

WR: Kevin Stepherson*
2. Chase Claypool

Slot: Michael Young
2. Chris Finke or Braden Lenzy

TE(A): Nick Weishar
2. Brock Wright

TE(UA): Aliz'e Mack
2. Cole Kmet

LT: Liam Eichenberg
2. Josh Lugg

LG: Tommy Kraemer
2. Aaron Banks

2. Trevor Ruhland

RG: Alex Bars
2. Aaron Banks

RT: Robert Hainsey
2. Josh Lugg

SDE: Khalid Kareem
2. Ade Ogundeji

DT: Jay Hayes
2. Jayson Ademilola or Kurt Hinish

NG: Jerry Tillery*
2. MTA or Darnell Ewell

WDE: Daelin Hayes
2. Julian Okwara

Buck: Asmar Bilal
2. Jamir Jones or Jack Lamb

Mike: Te'Von Coney*
2. Jamir Jones or Jhonathan Jones

2. Jordan Genmark-Heath or JOK

CB: Julian Love
2. Shaun Crawford

FS: Derrik Allen
2. Nick Coleman or Houston Griffith

SS: Alohi Gilman
2. Isaiah Robertson

CB: Nick Watkins*
2. Troy Pride Jr

NB: Shaun Crawford
2. Houston Griffith
IIO
What about our next big offensive - that’s right - offensive difference maker Tariq Bracy? I would put him at slot or RB.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT