ADVERTISEMENT

Portal

If the guys are getting overrecruited, why would you be concerned with them leaving?
Depth matters. You are replacing mature sophomores and juniors with true freshmen that we have shown likely won't play the full season.

It's a recipe for failure

Last edited:
Yep. I think NDs only chance is a guarunteed starter. I don’t think there are many with huge upside but 0 guarantee that will want to compete. Maybe I’m won’t. Leary would be an absolute home run.
I can't believe I agree with you. Leary is head and shoulders the best option that would consider ND. Minchey isn't starting as fresh or soph. If we get a transfer I'd expect Angeli, Pyne, and possibly Buchner to consider transferring possibly all three. If we change OCs it will be very interesting what happens

I can't believe I agree with you. Leary is head and shoulders the best option that would consider ND. Minchey isn't starting as fresh or soph. If we get a transfer I'd expect Angeli, Pyne, and possibly Buchner to consider transferring possibly all three. If we change OCs it will be very interesting what happens
I live in North Carolina. Leary has gotten hurt and missed games every year, so he's pretty fragile.

Reactions: BGI User 756
We will be fine
Great insite. Lol.

Cornerback is ****ed if Hart goes pro..if we have another transfer we have number issues.

Wr is going to be boned if styles transfers. No true slot option. If lenzy also goes big issues....Only returning players are Meriwether, colzie, Thomas, and maybe lenzy.

Tell me again... We are fine.

What about Armstrong?
Buchner has three more years of eligibility. Bring in competition for one year and plan on him starting the following year. He bridges the gap for a year or two until either minchey or Carr starts.

Great insite. Lol.

Cornerback is ****ed if Hart goes pro..if we have another transfer we have number issues.

Wr is going to be boned if styles transfers. No true slot option. If lenzy also goes big issues....Only returning players are Meriwether, colzie, Thomas, and maybe lenzy.

Tell me again... We are fine.
Lenzy isnt coming back

We'll be fine because if we lose players, we'll add players through recruiting and transfers

Corner wouldnt be fu****. We'd have the same crew as last game just all a year older. Add in 2 high recruits and a transfer or 2. Definitely not fuc***

Hart probably comes back regardless

Reactions: TheSodFather
Lenzy isnt coming back

We'll be fine because if we lose players, we'll add players through recruiting and transfers

Corner wouldnt be fu****. We'd have the same crew as last game just all a year older. Add in 2 high recruits and a transfer or 2. Definitely not fuc***

Gray is going to be good.

Buchner has three more years of eligibility. Bring in competition for one year and plan on him starting the following year. He bridges the gap for a year or two until either minchey or Carr starts.
I think with a full year and a half at ND, Minchey will beat out Buchner. Buchner didn’t play his senior year and he’s been injured the entire season and lost tons of reps. By the time Minchey is in the system for a year and a half (come in in January), he will have nearly as much football experience as Buchner. I like Minchey arm far better than Buchner. Minchey is very accurate and very consistent. He’s superior to Buchner as a passer. I think Minchey takes over after the transfer is done. My bet is Buchner never starts another game in a ND uniform.

What makes us ND fans ? I mean think about it. There are plenty of schools with rich tradition of winning . ND to has always been a school that wants to do things with integrity. For the most part , the type of athletes that want to go there are more than the player we see. I know that doesn’t mean much to most people. It does to me. As much as I would love to see ND win it all , I wouldn’t want them to win at any and all cost. The transfer portal is just another term for “ free agency”. The NIL is no different than “ I’m going to the highest bidder “. When a team can take 30 plus transfers in a year , there is something wrong. At this rate there should be two leagues. One for traditional student athletes. The other should be for schools to hire teams to represent their schools.

What makes us ND fans ? I mean think about it. There are plenty of schools with rich tradition of winning . ND to has always been a school that wants to do things with integrity. For the most part , the type of athletes that want to go there are more than the player we see. I know that doesn’t mean much to most people. It does to me. As much as I would love to see ND win it all , I wouldn’t want them to win at any and all cost. The transfer portal is just another term for “ free agency”. The NIL is no different than “ I’m going to the highest bidder “. When a team can take 30 plus transfers in a year , there is something wrong. At this rate there should be two leagues. One for traditional student athletes. The other should be for schools to hire teams to represent their schools.
ND took players from the transfer portal this year. Was that wrong?

ND took players from the transfer portal this year. Was that wrong?
Let me clarify. Now I could be wrong but this is my understanding. The portal was set up so players couldn’t sit out a year like they use to when they would transfer. I do not believe the “ intent “ was to basically build a team in one shot. I mean taking in two or three transfers seems fair. Taking 20, 30 or more in one or two cycles seems like an abuse of the system. Maybe my take is wrong. I don’t know. But that’s how I see it. Thoughts ?

Let me clarify. Now I could be wrong but this is my understanding. The portal was set up so players couldn’t sit out a year like they use to when they would transfer. I do not believe the “ intent “ was to basically build a team in one shot. I mean taking in two or three transfers seems fair. Taking 20, 30 or more in one or two cycles seems like an abuse of the system. Maybe my take is wrong. I don’t know. But that’s how I see it. Thoughts ?
It seems if players have found themselves odd man out on a team, or for whatever reason decide the fit is not right for them, and they feel they made a mistake, it seems good they can get out and go to another school that offers them a better fit. Regardless of numbers.

Now, if Benjamin Morrison accepts 3 million in NIL money and leaves next season to play at Texas or wherever immediately, then I'm gonna be pissed and think the whole thing stinks.

SC embraces gray areas and fluid ethics.

What is the acceptable number. How is it a grey area when what you do is completely within the rules?
Beach - taking in so many transfers can and I think will come back to haunt you. Opposing coaches will use that against you with recruits.

Four or five is one thing. Nineteen is quite another.

Beach - taking in so many transfers can and I think will come back to haunt you. Opposing coaches will use that against you with recruits.

well, really they had half the roster transfer out when Mr. Softee got fired! CLR said it was an unusual circumstance and he said a return to typical recruiting was the preference, only using the portal to fill in holes in the roster. that will become the more tempered approach taken by most teams.

Reactions: mirer03
Lenzy isnt coming back

I don't think that you realize how well bracy played at slot corner this year and he's gone. If Hart goes it means mickey and lewis likely start with Morrison. That looked like ass against USC. That's a MAJOR concern and yes we'd be ****ed. Thankfully it's likely Hart comes back and it's still an issue.

ND cannot take many undergrad transfers. Almost all power five schools put kids on five year graduation plans, and to transfer to ND you have to be on track to graduate in 4..add in that many classes don't transfer and the fact is undergrad transfers are not qb answer at ND.

Wr there is no transfer answer. It's very likely we are playing multiple freshmen and if styles or colzie transfer yes wr is ****ed. There is a major numbers issue at wr which will take at least one more cycle to fix.

That is possible , but Helton left a very bad team. Riley had to upgrade the players. But even if it is a bad idea that doesn’t make it unethical.

Just to for the sake of this discussion. What if 20 highly regarded players, all from different schools decided to transfer and test the waters. Now let’s say one or two schools (insert any school) offer these 20 awesome NIL deals. Other’s school may not be able to offer as much in NIL agreements. So now these two schools in one year can literally stack their teams with top end talent. Do you see where this can lead ? There was a reason the 85 limit on scholarships was put in place many years ago. But with the NIL and transfer portal, that seems to negate the 85 limit in the sense that it will make recruiting fair. Again , it just seems that this way of getting players will become an issue moving forward. I am not sure where it leads but I think it will be something that will need specific parameters or adjustments in the near future.

Reactions: 96domer
I don't think that you realize how well bracy played at slot corner this year and he's gone. If Hart goes it means mickey and lewis likely start with Morrison. That looked like ass against USC. That's a MAJOR concern and yes we'd be ****ed. Thankfully it's likely Hart comes back and it's still an issue.

ND cannot take many undergrad transfers. Almost all power five schools put kids on five year graduation plans, and to transfer to ND you have to be on track to graduate in 4..add in that many classes don't transfer and the fact is undergrad transfers are not qb answer at ND.

Wr there is no transfer answer. It's very likely we are playing multiple freshmen and if styles or colzie transfer yes wr is ****ed. There is a major numbers issue at wr which will take at least one more cycle to fix.
I'm a big Bracy fan so i know how he played. He also missed a lot of time too

If we go into next year with Morrison and Hart as our starters thats up there in the entire country. And Mickey, Lewis, freshman, transfer battle it out for the 3 and 4 spots. Thats definitely not f'ed. Thats better than most out there.

Well definitely add wrs and a qb in the portal. I'm not worried about that at all.

I like our 4 wrs and I like our hopefully 5 frosh. Bring in 1 or 2 quality wrs and we have a good room

We're going to be fine

Reactions: IrishMike409

If we go into next year with Morrison and Hart as our starters thats up there in the entire country. And Mickey, Lewis, freshman, transfer battle it out for the 3 and 4 spots. Thats definitely not f'ed. Thats better than most out there.

Well definitely add wrs and a qb in the portal. I'm not worried about that at all.

I like our 4 wrs and I like our hopefully 5 frosh. Bring in 1 or 2 quality wrs and we have a good room

We're going to be fine
There will be 7 returning cornerbacks plus freshmen...they won't take a transfer there. Simply not possible numbers wise.

You really need three top level CBS in today's game. Yes Hart and Morrison are a great duo... There is a huge drop off after that.

You need 8-9 wrs just to effectively practice. Del really ****ed us. Our talent at wr is on paper off the charts .. but this staff...Rees specifically has historically failed to play freshmen.

There are number issues at a few spots it's a fact. Can they be overcome sure, but don't pretend they aren't there. Also Notre Dame will not be effective at taking undergrad transfers due to admissions.

We're going to be fine
Mickey will probably start at slot corner

There will be 7 returning cornerbacks plus freshmen...they won't take a transfer there. Simply not possible numbers wise.

You really need three top level CBS in today's game. Yes Hart and Morrison are a great duo... There is a huge drop off after that.

You need 8-9 wrs just to effectively practice. Del really ****ed us. Our talent at wr is on paper off the charts .. but this staff...Rees specifically has historically failed to play freshmen.

There are number issues at a few spots it's a fact. Can they be overcome sure, but don't pretend they aren't there. Also Notre Dame will not be effective at taking undergrad transfers due to admissions.
There will be a few transfers or a couple who move to safety so there will be an opp to bring in a transfer for sure. No chance everyone stays put

There will be 9 wrs on the roster and we'll add a transfer or 2 there

There are issues but they will be addressed in recruiting and transfers. We'll be fine

USC has 36 transfers. 36! I’m sorry but I don’t respect that in the least. But ND needs to decide what they want to do.,
I don’t think that ND can be competitive if they don’t adopt actively pursuing transfers.

The NCAA needs to restrict the number of transfers and limit the number of times that a player can transfer.

I'd like to see ND go after the Lovett kid from Missouri. Though not sure he'd be able to transfer since he's not a grad. They really need that type of slot guy. Put him there, cross train Tyree there. Then work one of the incoming players too.

Reactions: Golson5
well, really they had half the roster transfer out when Mr. Softee got fired! CLR said it was an unusual circumstance and he said a return to typical recruiting was the preference, only using the portal to fill in holes in the roster. that will become the more tempered approach taken by most teams.
HaHa! they were told to leave. Fowler talked about it during the game. LR is a bullshit artist.

HaHa! they were told to leave. Fowler talked about it during the game. LR is a bullshit artist.
You are right, sort of. All but a few of the transfers out were told they could keep thier rides but wouldn't be on the team. They left. But LR never pretended that that wasn't the reason they left. The unusual circumstance was having to replace so many fill ins for the bad players.

When Riley observed the first practice he was shocked at the lack of depth and the number of players who were not up to a competitive level. Mayb this year he will only take ten to meet your standard. We will see.

Reactions: d1042
ADVERTISEMENT