ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Fleck shoves the whole boat up Auburns backside!

Who?
A four loss Auburn team, who had 8 FBS wins this year?
Auburn was 8-4 versus FBS teams.
7-4 versus P5 teams.
Awesome...
Okay. Hold on. Are you saying Auburn is trash?

They beat the Ducks. Beat Bama.
Lost to Florida by 7, Lost to LSU by 3, Lost to Georgia by 7.

9-3 going into today.

You say PH stepped into a good Minnesota program? Would the pre PJ coached Gopher team beat Auburn today? Of course not, man they wouldn’t have even made it to today.

Jerry Kill coached at Minnesota from 2011-2015.

In 4 years under Jerry Kill Minnesota has gone...

3-9
6-7
8-5
8-5
6-7

3+6+8+8+6 ÷ 5 = 6.2 wins per year

In 3 years under PJ Fleck Minnesota has gone...

5-7
7-6
11-2

5+7+6 ÷ 3 = 7.6 wins per year

PJ Fleck has absolutely done more at Minnesota than Jerry Kill did. I don't know where you got 9 wins per year from. Fleck has averaged 1.5 more wins per year and just won friggen New Years 6 game in his 3rd year (11-2), something Brian Kelly has yet to do at Notre Dame, something Jim Harbaugh has yet to do at Michigan... Fleck has nowhere near the talent.

Year 3 Minnesota (2019) would beat year 4 Iowa State (2019) by 30 points.

Fleck is doing a great job there. Minnesota is 33rd in 2020 recruiting and is going to finish in the top 25 in 2021 recruiting... He's doing things that haven't been done there in decades.
Facts!

At some point USC will hire a good coach and hoping it’s not Fleck. His rah rah act reminds me a little of Pete Carroll.

3-9
6-7
8-5
8-5
6-7

5-7
7-6
11-2

PJ Fleck has absolutely done more at Minnesota than Jerry Kill did. I don't know where you got 9 wins per year from. Fleck has averaged 1.5 more wins per year and just won friggen New Years 6 game in his 3rd year (11-2), something Brian Kelly has yet to do at Notre Dame, something Jim Harbaugh has yet to do at Michigan... Fleck has nowhere near the talent.

Fleck is doing a great job there. Minnesota is 33rd in 2020 recruiting and is going to finish in the top 25 in 2021 recruiting... He's doing things that haven't been done there in decades.

Did you see what Kill took over?
A lot better than what Fleck took over.
Who was the coach in between who got fired over Title IX? That’s the one who I’m thinking of who took over from Kill. Kill took a 2-3 win program & got them to 6/7 wins. Then his replacement got them to 8-9 wins. Then Fleck took over.
And don’t talk to me about NY6 games wins. That’s just silly. BK played Bama & Clemson trying to win titles. Also played OSU when most thought they were the best team in the country. ND gets the toughest draw, you know that. Give ND the G5 team or weak P5 team in NY6 game & they win. If you can’t admit their is a difference we can’t have a real conversation...

Reactions: GoldCountryND

It’s actually not.
i just fact checked.
Those aren’t Kill’s records at Minnesota. He did not coach multiple games in multiple seasons (all of which were losses) because of medical reasons.
Sorry...

BK did more at the same point of their careers than Fleck.
BK won multiple titles in lower division. Fleck did not.
BK won at Central Michigan. Same as Fleck at Western Michigan.
Kelly went undefeated at small P5 program Cincy in P5 conference & competition, Fleck did not.
Kelly went undefeated twice and played for two titles at the Mecca of College football against the best competition in the country. Fleck isn’t close to that.
I never said Fleck is better than Kelly. It’s TBD IMO.

If you think Fleck isn’t a good coach, then we disagree.

And your comparisons aren’t fair:
Fleck never coached in the lower division.
Going undefeated in the Big East is much easier than going undefeated in B1G conference.
Kelly coaches at ND, who was won many national championships. I don’t think Kelly would have MN undefeated and playing in the CFP.

Reactions: DublinND
I never said Fleck is better than Kelly. It’s TBD IMO.

If you think Fleck isn’t a good coach, then we disagree.

And your comparisons aren’t fair:
Fleck never coached in the lower division.
Going undefeated in the Big East is much easier than going undefeated in B1G conference.
Kelly coaches at ND, who was won many national championships. I don’t think Kelly would have MN undefeated and playing in the CFP.

I was just comparing them at equal points of their careers since people are trying to compare Fleck now to BK now. BK was more accomplished at the same level.

Fleck is the perfect example of a guy who fits perfectly where he is at, but that’s it. The crap he pulls won’t work or win at the highest level. I said the same thing about Herman at Houston & people roasted me. They all said “wait until he has Texas talent.” Well, I’m still waiting...

Fleck style of coaching with ND level talent..yes please.
Like Tom Herman at Texas?
He was winning at Houston, upsetting top 5 teams. “Something Kelly never does.” But then losing to 4 win teams. “Wait until he gets to Texas with all that talent.”
Okay? They were 7-5 i a horrible conference.

Gimmick coaches, like Fleck & Herman, excel at lower programs. When with the big boys that crap don’t fly.

3-9
6-7
8-5
8-5
6-7

5-7
7-6
11-2

If you consider the Outback Bowl a NY6 game then the same can be said for ND beating LSU in the Citrus Bowl two years ago.

Reactions: Classic Irish
Context? You want context?

They just beat one of the top SEC teams this season! An Auburn team that Lost to LSU by 3 points and held them to 23.

Cyclones embarrassed in the Camping bowl.

How’s that for context?
Not much lol

1 game

That was weak for context purposes

Did you see what Kill took over?
A lot better than what Fleck took over.
Who was the coach in between who got fired over Title IX? That’s the one who I’m thinking of who took over from Kill. Kill took a 2-3 win program & got them to 6/7 wins. Then his replacement got them to 8-9 wins. Then Fleck took over.
And don’t talk to me about NY6 games wins. That’s just silly. BK played Bama & Clemson trying to win titles. Also played OSU when most thought they were the best team in the country. ND gets the toughest draw, you know that. Give ND the G5 team or weak P5 team in NY6 game & they win. If you can’t admit their is a difference we can’t have a real conversation...

Tracy went 9-4 one time at Minnesota prior to Kill's arrival. He coached there for 1 year. It was an isolated year.

In the 10 years before Kill arrived at Minnesota in 2011, here were their win totals.

4 + 8 + 10 + 7 + 6 + 6 + 1 + 7 + 6 + 3 = 5.8 (rounded up to 6.0)

What are you talking about a 2-3 win program? In the prior decade Minnesota (before Kill arrival) won TWO to THREE times more games than you suggested.

You're acting like he took over a dumpster fire. They were a .500 program in the decade before he got there. They had 3 losing seasons in 10 years lol.

Kill won exactly 0.4 more games over 4 years than the coaches had won at Minnesota in the previous 10 years. That's virtually no improvement at all. 0.4... You round that down and he won the same 6.0 games his predecessors had... Fleck is already at 7.6.

Pretty stupid?
He coaches in the B1G West. LOL
Last year people were saying the same about Brohm. And it wasn’t a huge upset.
Don’t come on here trying to call my comments stupid when you are uneducated.
I played on a team who beat Lou Holtz & ND in South Bend in ‘96. We were a 4 score underdog. I guess Lou Holtz can’t coach?

Someone should tell this buffoon Minnesota has won 11 games for the first time in 116 years ..

Reactions: DublinND
Tracy went 9-4 one time at Minnesota prior to Kill's arrival. He coached there for 1 year. It was an isolated year.

In the 10 years before Kill arrived at Minnesota in 2011, here were their win totals.

4 + 8 + 10 + 7 + 6 + 6 + 1 + 7 + 6 + 3 = 5.8 (rounded up to 6.0)

What are you talking about a 2-3 win program? In the prior decade Minnesota (before Kill arrival) won TWO to THREE times more games than you suggested.

You're acting like he took over a dumpster fire. They were a .500 program I the decade before he got there. They had 3 losing seasons in 10 years lol.

Open B1G versus B1G West. Yep, it’s the same. “LOL.”

Did you even watch football back then? I played those teams back then, so I know from first hand experience. “LOL”
You are starting to drift way too far into your analysis hat & drifting away from reality.
You are starting to remind me of people who used to talk to me at air shows who watch TV & read magazines & tell me about my weapons & “correct” me about combat. “LOL”

3-9
6-7
8-5
8-5
6-7

5-7
7-6
11-2

Probably because 2016 they went 9 and 4. Then with Fleck they dropped down to 5 and 7.

Fleck didnt win a NY6 bowl game.

Outback is not part of the NY6
Rose
Fiesta
Sugar
Peach
Cotton
Orange

Campbell has been better than Fleck so far too

Someone should tell this buffoon Minnesota has won 11 games for the first time in 116 years ..

Buffoon?
Yeah, because the last 116 years Minnesota played 13 games a year...
They actually won titles in the past.
Move along sweetheart.

7 National Titles for Minnesota Football.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
Flecks 3 year record at Minnesota
23 and 15

The previous 3 year record for Minnesota
23 and 16

LOL HUGE IMPROVEMENT MADE

Reactions: hvillebill
I was just comparing them at equal points of their careers since people are trying to compare Fleck now to BK now. BK was more accomplished at the same level.

Fleck is the perfect example of a guy who fits perfectly where he is at, but that’s it. The crap he pulls won’t work or win at the highest level. I said the same thing about Herman at Houston & people roasted me. They all said “wait until he has Texas talent.” Well, I’m still waiting...
What are the types of crap and gimmicks that Fleck is pulling? His teams have won, the programs have gotten better recruits and his players are going into the NFL.

What are the types of crap and gimmicks that Fleck is pulling? His teams have won, the programs have gotten better recruits and his players are going into the NFL.
They actually arent winning at a higher rate than the previous 3 years before he got there

Seriously?
He admits to being a sucker for gimmicks.
“Row the boat.”
Never wears shoes.
Crowd surfs.
Many, many more.

He is another Brohm, Herman, Campbell.

Open B1G versus B1G West. Yep, it’s the same. “LOL.”

Did you even watch football back then? I played those teams back then, so I know from first hand experience. “LOL”
You are starting to drift way too far into your analysis hat & drifting away from reality.
You are starting to remind me of people who used to talk to me at air shoes who watch TV & read magazines & tell me about my weapons & “correct” me about combat. “LOL”

Did Jerry Kill not win 0.4 more games in 4 years at Minnesota than the coaches he had replaced had won in their previous 10 years?

Why do I remind you of people that tried to correct you about combat? I've never once done that.

We've generally always gotten along. The last time we had a significant dispute was the debacle of Michigan thread when I said that would be a very tough game for Notre Dame because they almost never win I Ann Arbor and you went off on a tirade..

Now you told me that Jerry Kill won 9 games per year at Minnesota... I calmly showed you that he absolutely won 6.2 games per year there.

Then you said "no I was thinking g about the guy after him"... I then mentioned that Tracy coached there for exactly 1 year, which obviously means that's not what you were talking about because you can't claim 9 wins per year in the context you were claiming, if you only coach somewhere for 1 year... You and I both know you were talking about Kill and you either didn't check the numbers before you made your argument, or you purposely inflated them to make a point, thinking nobody would check your math.

You then came back and said that Kill took over a program that was winning 2-3 games per year. I went back a standard 10 years in sample size and showed you that they were in fact winning an average of 5.8 games (rounded to 6 games per year) over that decade... Again, you either didn't check your numbers in advance, or embellished purposely to make your point about Kill.

After the 2nd time you were blatantly wrong you moved the needle, again, talking about conferences, then compared me to someone who tells you about combat.. Something I've never done and something that is not relative, at all, to this conversation.

It seems that everytime we disagree lately, and I bring up a point in which you are obviously wrong, it's the end of the world...

What gives Farly?

Last edited:
Did Jerry Kill not win 0.4 more games in 4 years at Minnesota than the coaches he had replaced had won in their previous 10 years?

Why do I remind you of people that tried to correct you about combat? I've never once done that.

We've generally always gotten along. The last time we had a significant dispute was the debacle of Michigan thread when I said that would be a very tough game for Notre Dame because they almost never win I Ann Arbor and you went off on a tirade..

Now you told me that Jerry Kill won 9 games per year at Minnesota... I calmly showed you that he absolutely won 6.2 games per year there.

Then you said "no I was thinking g about the guy after him"... I then mentioned that Tracy coached there for exactly 1 year, which obviously means that's not what you were talking about because you can't claim 9 wins per year in the context you were claiming, if you only coach somewhere for 1 year... You and I both know you were talking about Kill and you either didn't check the numbers before you made your argument, or you purposely inflated them to make a point, thinking nobody would check your math.

You then came back and said that Kill took over a program that was winning 2-3 games per year. I went back a standard 10 years in sample size and showed you that they were in fact winning an average of 5.8 games (rounded to 6 games per year) over that decade... Again, you either didn't check your numbers in advance, or embellished purposely to make your point about Kill.

After the 2nd time you were blatantly wrong you moved the needle, again, talking about conferences, then compared me to someone who tells you about combat.. Something I've never done and something that is not relative, at all, to this conversation.

It seems that everytime we disagree lately, and I bring up a point in which you are obviously wrong, it's the end of the world...

What gives Farly?
Everyone has wrong points. Like you did saying Fleck won a NY6 game

ND’s record over 13 seasons before BK, with ELITE talent & ELITE recruits from Lou Holtz era: 91-68. Thats 7-5.2 per season. Zero BCS title games.
So three coaches ruined ND after being handed an elite program. I know. I’m from there. I was a hard core ND fan. I worshipped Lou Holtz. Then I went to & played for another school who beat ND.
Brian Kelly took over an average to below average program. He took it to title contender status by year three. And he plays against the best SOS in the country over that time.
He is going to hand over a program that was a D+ to C- status to the next coach as an A- program. People love to complain & whine, but it’s the reality. BK is the perfect example of man in the arena. If you don’t know what that is then look it up.

Oh really? They beat Penn State and Auburn both are big time wins given that Auburn and Penn State have huge advantage in talent compare to Minnesota..

They barely squeaked by S Dakota St, Fresno St and Georgia Southern so their 11 wins are more like 10 wins since they played one FCS school. When you start out with three cream puffs and barely beat them, that is not impressive and they barely beat a sub-par Purdue team too. They beat Penn State at home but to parrot some of the ND "fans" on here after the USC game, five minutes more and they would have blown that game.

Call me unimpressed until they play the better Big Ten teams on the road which won't happen next year either since only Wisconsin is on the road. Although i do see they are playing the always vicious FCS team Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles next year.

It’s actually not.
i just fact checked.
Those aren’t Kill’s records at Minnesota. He did not coach multiple games in multiple seasons (all of which were losses) because of medical reasons.
Sorry...
Facts: The Gophers just had there best season in over 40 years.
Facts: Gophers just gave PJ the biggest contract they have ever given any coach in any sport.

They barely squeaked by S Dakota St, Fresno St and Georgia Southern so their 11 wins are more like 10 wins since they played one FCS school. When you start out with three cream puffs and barely beat them, that is not impressive and they barely beat a sub-par Purdue team too. They beat Penn State at home but to parrot some of the ND "fans" on here after the USC game, five minutes more and they would have blown that game.

Call me unimpressed until they play the better Big Ten teams on the road which won't happen next year either since only Wisconsin is on the road. Although i do see they are playing the always vicious FCS team Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles next year.

You are correct.
If you actually watch their games all season they were pretty pedestrian versus bad competition.
I had the EXACT same discussions over the past three years about Brohm, Herman & Campbell.
People pick their newest shiny toy each year. Nobody was sticking their chest out last year when Fleck was losing to everybody.

Probably because 2016 they went 9 and 4. Then with Fleck they dropped down to 5 and 7.

Fleck didnt win a NY6 bowl game.

Outback is not part of the NY6
Rose
Fiesta
Sugar
Peach
Cotton
Orange

Campbell has been better than Fleck so far too
Campbell’s best win?

Facts: The Gophers just had there best season in over 40 years.
Facts: Gophers just gave PJ the biggest contract they have ever given any coach in any sport.

Wow.
So you are telling me they won more games now when they play more?
And they pay coaches more now?
And paying coaches’ pay equals success?

7 National Titles.

Facts...

I will say this...

Way more impressed with what Fleck is doing at Minnesota than with what Campbell is doing at Iowa State, with a similar level of talent.

I'll take 23-15 in 3 years while rebuilding Minnesota, culminating with a 11-2 record and a New Years 6 win against a top 15 SEC team today... Over 26-25 in 4 years while rebuilding Iowa State, with never more than 8 wins and a regression (7-6) in year 4, with a team composed mostly of Campbell's guys.

JMO.
Outback Bowl is not a New Years 6 game. Neither is Citrus which pitted Bama vs UM and we played in on Jan 1 2018 vs LSU. I get your point though, great season, now the question is will he stay and if so can he take recruiting to another level and sustain success or is he any of a long line of guys that rolled a 7 once?

Still curious?
How can this season be better than the 7 seasons they won the National Title?
The “buffoon” who liked your post can answer as well...

Outback Bowl is not a New Years 6 game. Neither is Citrus which pitted Bama vs UM and we played in on Jan 1 2018 vs LSU. I get your point though, great season, now the question is will he stay and if so can he take recruiting to another level and sustain success or is he any of a long line of guys that rolled a 7 once?
What’s your point?

The thread title is about how Minnesota beat Auburn.

PJ had a good year at Minnesota. His new contract and the excitement of the fan base shows that.

Funny, you guys wanna tear down PJ, while Minnesota is doing everything it can to keep him.

One day you guys will man up and admit when your wrong.

Still curious?
How can this season be better than the 7 seasons they won the National Title?
The “buffoon” who liked your post can answer as well...
What are you talking about?

Did Minnesota just have a really good season?

Everyone has wrong points. Like you did saying Fleck won a NY6 game

It's not about being right and wrong. I think you missed the point of my post. We're all right and wrong at times...

With that said, thank you for correcting me about Fleck. He won a game on New Years Day. I wrongly stated it was a New Years 6 game and it is not. I was a New Years Day game between 2 top 15 teams, but it wasn't one of the games called "The New Years 6"... You are right and I am wrong about that fact. I appreciate the correction.

What I'm asking Farly is why his being proven wrong about something that can be factually quantified / qualified is leading to him descending into comparing me to someone who used to lecture him about "combat", without knowing anything about it... The two things are not at all comparable. Is he trying to tell me what the actual record of Minnesota football was, after I actually told him exactly what it was?...

That's my point. It's a strange reaction... Much like I thought it was a strange reaction when I pointed out that Notre Dame was 4-11 vs Michigan in Ann Arbor since 1980 and that it would be a huge test for ND to win there. He ranted about if ND should even show up for that game, told us about how much better ND was... The disappeared for 2 months to Bryan's new board, directly after the loss.

I'm just wondering what's up?

What’s your point?

The thread title is about how Minnesota beat Auburn.

PJ had a good year at Minnesota. His new contract and the excitement of the fan base shows that.

Funny, you guys wanna tear down PJ, while Minnesota is doing everything it can to keep him.

One day you guys will man up and admit when your wrong.

As does every school that thinks they have the latest rising coach. We'll see who's right but there's no way anybody can see one year's success is the springboard to greatness. Too many one year wonders have flamed out so yeah I'm not going to say he is the next great coach. I will say that just like this year, Minnesota's schedule is incredibly weak next year so the opportunity is there for another 10-11 win season minus the FCS game.

What gives Farly?

“Obviously wrong.”

There’s your answer.

That’s your opinion, not a fact as you state. And out of respect for our friendship I don’t mention the times I disagree with you. I often don’t agree with you. You act as if your opinion is the only opinion. I played D1, I played ND (and beat them). I’ve NEVER brought that into our conversations. I’m fact, I repeatedly admit on here, probably 50 times, that I’m not a talent evaluator like you & people should listen to you on recruiting, not me. But I do know the reality of big time football & that’s why I take exception to many things said on here.
I will agree with you when I agree, and I will disagree when I disagree. I do the same with ND football. I say both positive & negative. Different people choose to pick & choose which they want to hear.
But I’m always going to be 100% true to how I feel.
I try really, really hard (and often fail) not to cone across as an arrogant a-hole. But to be honest, I’m starting to get sick of people who really don’t know the reality of Major D1 football talking out their buttholes.
That doesn’t change my respect for your recruiting analysis, or our mutual military connection, but I honestly think you are wrong on certain things & will tell you when so. I’m sure you would rather me do that than kiss your ass, right?

As does every school that thinks they have the latest rising coach. We'll see who's right but there's no way anybody can see one year's success is the springboard to greatness. Too many one year wonders have flamed out so yeah I'm not going to say he is the next great coach. I will say that just like this year, Minnesota's schedule is incredibly weak next year so the opportunity is there for another 10-11 win season minus the FCS game.
Check his track record. This is what he does. I live 40 minutes from Western Michigan. I have seen first hand how good this guy is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT