ADVERTISEMENT

Pass more run less

tkirish

Posts Like A Champion
Oct 23, 2002
first of all I want to say I prefer the MSU and Stanford style offenses. So far this year ND has tried to run the ball. They haven't been successful. The offensive line was supposed to be their strength. It's hasn't lived up to that. At least as run blockers. The Irish have some good backs and I guess Kelly figured they could be more of a running team. The problem is, it's really not in his nature to run. He likes to throw it around. This Irish team has some really good young receivers. They have a QB that is one of the best in all college football and will most likely play on Sundays. ND does the most damage when Kizer is in the groove and throwing all over. So instead of trying to pound it, throw first, run second. The offensive line has done much better pass blocking than run blocking. This may be the only way to win games. I bet they start going to more of an up tempo pass offense the rest of the way. Why shouldn't they? They have the players to make ot work. Again, it's not a style I like. But if that's what works, then do it.

The offensive line is very good at pass protection, but very poor at run blocking and getting a push at the oline level. Its been apparent since week one. The offense is also not challenging downfield often enough. MSU and Texas both pressed man coverage on the WRs and ND goes entire series without challenging these guys one on one. Yes the WRs are inexperienced but you gotta throw the ball downfield to open up the running game when the defenses are literally daring you to do so. ND ran into an MSU brick wall for 2 quarters on Saturday, then they challenged downfield and good things happen. At some point this season I expect OL coach to do some shuffling.
St Brown is a physical mismatch all the time. Its a real shame Alize Jones is not on the field as putting them both in for red zone plays with Chase Claypool would be impressive to see.

The offensive line is very good at pass protection, but very poor at run blocking and getting a push at the oline level. Its been apparent since week one. The offense is also not challenging downfield often enough. MSU and Texas both pressed man coverage on the WRs and ND goes entire series without challenging these guys one on one. Yes the WRs are inexperienced but you gotta throw the ball downfield to open up the running game when the defenses are literally daring you to do so. ND ran into an MSU brick wall for 2 quarters on Saturday, then they challenged downfield and good things happen. At some point this season I expect OL coach to do some shuffling.
St Brown is a physical mismatch all the time. Its a real shame Alize Jones is not on the field as putting them both in for red zone plays with Chase Claypool would be impressive to see.
This is odd to me considering an offensive linemen generally prefer to run block, controlling the direction in which the play is designed to go, as to pass blocking were the linemen have to deal with defensive uncertainties such as blitz's, stunts,ect..

One concern for this offensive line, is that I think they may be too big. I read that there's only 9 NFL teams with an average height and weight bigger than ND. I'm not sure that's a good thing. As others posted, the pass protection is solid, but the run game isn't. I'm wondering if the ND o-lineman were on average 10 pounds lighter, they could move better and have more of a punch when run blocking.

Separate from that when discussing whether to pass or run more, I think ND needs to look at what they can do well versus opponents strengths and weaknesses. MSU was obviously much weaker in pass defense as opposed to run defense. With that said, Kelly probably should have been more aggressive with the pass early on and gets their guys on their heels and then followed that up with more run plays, which likely would have been easier to execute. One guy who I'd like to see Incorporated more in the run game is CJ Sanders and using him on sweeps, end around, and option plays.

One concern for this offensive line, is that I think they may be too big. I read that there's only 9 NFL teams with an average height and weight bigger than ND. I'm not sure that's a good thing. As others posted, the pass protection is solid, but the run game isn't. I'm wondering if the ND o-lineman were on average 10 pounds lighter, they could move better and have more of a punch when run blocking.

Separate from that when discussing whether to pass or run more, I think ND needs to look at what they can do well versus opponents strengths and weaknesses. MSU was obviously much weaker in pass defense as opposed to run defense. With that said, Kelly probably should have been more aggressive with the pass early on and gets their guys on their heels and then followed that up with more run plays, which likely would have been easier to execute. One guy who I'd like to see Incorporated more in the run game is CJ Sanders and using him on sweeps, end around, and option plays.

With a line that big is even more reason for them to impose their will.

With a line that big is even more reason for them to impose their will.

Problem is Kelly's plays don't take advantage of them. Also watch their blocking ... even on running plays it looks like they're pass blocking (confuses the defense?).

Notredame's play calling this season has been predictable in early downs. So teams expect run plays on early downs therefore there is a lot of safetyssupport on early downs. Notredame doesn't have Will Fuller this year. That being said teams don't really respect your young receivers yet. Notredame needs to come out and pass to set up the run. Kizer can check to run plays at the line of scrimmage depending on opposing teams safety alignment.

I am wondering; does the run blocking get more complicated, when run plays take forever to develop?? I mean, when the QB moves to the side; stands there, with the running back standing next to him; and the offensive line has to hold blocks until the read option choice is made. Take the ball under center; two backs or one; better two; snap the ball and charge! God, I hate the spread, I hate the read option, I hate everything about NDs approach to offense and defense under the current regime.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT