ADVERTISEMENT

Pass Happy Kelly -

continually35 irish

Irish Insider
Aug 17, 2016
to the 8-4 d bags on this board

Last year’s rushing average of 207.6 yards per game was the best by the Fighting Irish (with bowl games included) since 1998, current running backs coach Autry Denson’ssenior year when he became the school’s all-time rushing leader. There is a reason why Pro Football Focus in its overall meticulous analysis ranked Notre Dame’s offensive line No. 1 this year, and the return of 2014 leading rusher Tarean Folston (1,378 career rushing yards) and last year’s freshman record setter Josh Adams (835 yards), among others, has Kelly “laying it on the line.”

“No matter what happens, we’re running the football,” replied Kelly about what part of the team he feels most confident. “… Feel pretty good about our plan defensively and how to handle Texas and what they want to do with their tempo. And we’re going to run the football. Those two things are absolute certainties.”If those come to fruition all of 2016, Notre Dame at worst will be a Big Six bowl selection again.

Feels to me as if the offensive line is a little over hyped right now. Now I believe we have the horses and will be great going forward but remember we lost two guys who were going to start in the NFL as rookies! (Injury will delay Martin for a year) and a third guy who would have been drafted if he hadn't decided to go to Wall Street. That said, I look for this line to be stellar as the three new guys gain experience and as they learn to play together. But I believe there will be some stumbles early -- just hope that our experience at QB and RB will help make up for it.

Last year’s rushing average of 207.6 yards per game was the best by the Fighting Irish (with bowl games included) since 1998, current running backs coach Autry Denson’ssenior year when he became the school’s all-time rushing leader. There is a reason why Pro Football Focus in its overall meticulous analysis ranked Notre Dame’s offensive line No. 1 this year, and the return of 2014 leading rusher Tarean Folston (1,378 career rushing yards) and last year’s freshman record setter Josh Adams (835 yards), among others, has Kelly “laying it on the line.”

“No matter what happens, we’re running the football,” replied Kelly about what part of the team he feels most confident. “… Feel pretty good about our plan defensively and how to handle Texas and what they want to do with their tempo. And we’re going to run the football. Those two things are absolute certainties.”If those come to fruition all of 2016, Notre Dame at worst will be a Big Six bowl selection again.

Well, there's a very accomplished towel boy that had this to say........

"There was nothing Autry Denson did as a HS coach, to distinguish himself as a potential college coach. I was there and you weren't.

He is in the postion he's in because of what he did as a player, and because he's perceived as a guy who can recruit players in South Florida. Not because he can coach.There are 500 coaches who are more qualified to be a Running Backs coach at ND.

30FLballcoach1,Mar 3, 2016"

"You have coaches right now in HS and lower college levels that are better than many D1A coaches. Autrey Denson coached one year of HS football down at Pope John Paul II HS and went 3-7 and resigned. They were as poorly a coached and prepared team as I've ever seen.

.Now he's suddenly a big time D1A coach. Believe me it's about who you know and less about what you know.......
11FLballcoach1,Feb 29, 2016"

cgvr - As they say, the proof is in the pudding... We will see what kind of coach he is this year. Given you are a huge ND fan, I'm sure you are pulling for his success as am I. As far as ND successfully running the ball, we have great QBs, RBs and an OLine that is highly touted. With all of this "greatness", we should be more proficient in the red zone.

Feels to me as if the offensive line is a little over hyped right now. Now I believe we have the horses and will be great going forward but remember we lost two guys who were going to start in the NFL as rookies! (Injury will delay Martin for a year) and a third guy who would have been drafted if he hadn't decided to go to Wall Street. That said, I look for this line to be stellar as the three new guys gain experience and as they learn to play together. But I believe there will be some stumbles early -- just hope that our experience at QB and RB will help make up for it.

Studon -- I believe the DL is better than the Oline --hope there both great

Well, there's a very accomplished towel boy that had this to say........

"There was nothing Autry Denson did as a HS coach, to distinguish himself as a potential college coach. I was there and you weren't.

He is in the postion he's in because of what he did as a player, and because he's perceived as a guy who can recruit players in South Florida. Not because he can coach.There are 500 coaches who are more qualified to be a Running Backs coach at ND.

30FLballcoach1,Mar 3, 2016"

"You have coaches right now in HS and lower college levels that are better than many D1A coaches. Autrey Denson coached one year of HS football down at Pope John Paul II HS and went 3-7 and resigned. They were as poorly a coached and prepared team as I've ever seen.

.Now he's suddenly a big time D1A coach. Believe me it's about who you know and less about what you know.......
11FLballcoach1,Feb 29, 2016"

CGVR, You are so stupid. The running game was great last year especially considering a true freshman and a converted safety were the RB's. Autry Denson did a great job. Go root for your crush Harbaugh you POS !

Reactions: IrishMike409
CGVR, You are so stupid. The running game was great last year especially considering a true freshman and a converted safety were the RB's. Autry Denson did a great job. Go root for your crush Harbaugh you POS !
Re-read my post. I am a huge fan of our current running game and Denson. However, one of our resident self proclaimed HS coaches maligned Coach Denson. I provided some of his rank amateur nonsense. Unfortunately, at the time you ....others ... wrote nothing in Denson's defense. I did. PS. For years one of my knocks on Porky is his inability to establish a team identity.....physical and intellectual brutality....a solid running game is a start....imo the running game will be formidable....last year it was excellent....

We all know stats can be misleading. Frankly, I expect our pass vs run percentage to be about the same as last year, for example. However, I think the circumstances will be significantly different. I hope we see a whole lot less third and five and second and eight scenarios (Predictable passing downs) and a whole lot more second and four and third and two scenarios (run or pass unpredictable) instead. Don't know prior years' stats, but looking for this team to get a lot more first downs running the ball on third down than we've seen previously.

Not sure of Autry's record as a head coach but position he seems pretty good.

Not sure of Autry's record as a head coach but position he seems pretty good.
He, Lyght, Sanford, Heistand....others are bright lights on this staff.
It will be interesting to see how Gilmore's efforts hold up. My guess is that Texas is going to come out grinding on the ground with Swoopes leading the charge. Could be a brutal/physical first quarter....

We all know stats can be misleading. Frankly, I expect our pass vs run percentage to be about the same as last year, for example. However, I think the circumstances will be significantly different. I hope we see a whole lot less third and five and second and eight scenarios (Predictable passing downs) and a whole lot more second and four and third and two scenarios (run or pass unpredictable) instead. Don't know prior years' stats, but looking for this team to get a lot more first downs running the ball on third down than we've seen previously.

Tex - per recruiting ranking we should have a very good OL however as you mentioned ND has been mediocre in MUST GAIN YDS on the ground . This must change if we are to max out .

Continually...I keep thinking about our incredible potential if our running game can consistently gain the tough yards. We have two elite QBs, and a ton of untested receiving talent, and a reliable running game will make our offense a time chewing scoring machine.

As for the defense, I'm more optimistic about this group than prior years. On one hand, we have many unanswered questions. On the other, we have several key players who are absolutely primed to have break out seasons. Like you, I think our DL will be exceptional at the point of attack, and I expect our linebackers to be aggressive and really active as a result. We have good speed and great athleticism in the DB, but too thin at safety for sure. It will be interesting to see how BVG schemes as he finally has the kind of players he wants. Hope the DL surprises with good pressure on the QB as I hate having to rely on blitzes as our only form of pressure.

Continually...I keep thinking about our incredible potential if our running game can consistently gain the tough yards. We have two elite QBs, and a ton of untested receiving talent, and a reliable running game will make our offense a time chewing scoring machine.

As for the defense, I'm more optimistic about this group than prior years. On one hand, we have many unanswered questions. On the other, we have several key players who are absolutely primed to have break out seasons. Like you, I think our DL will be exceptional at the point of attack, and I expect our linebackers to be aggressive and really active as a result. We have good speed and great athleticism in the DB, but too thin at safety for sure. It will be interesting to see how BVG schemes as he finally has the kind of players he wants. Hope the DL surprises with good pressure on the QB as I hate having to rely on blitzes as our only form of pressure.

All these questions , who knows our receiving corps might be elite , if so combined w a high level running attack and this could be very special . Stay tuned Tex

despite your optimism about the o-line and running game; despite a schedule strength that is average at best; i will remain and 8-4 d bag until mid october

despite your optimism about the o-line and running game; despite a schedule strength that is average at best; i will remain and 8-4 d bag until mid october
Why?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT