ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Trump was actually right about something

This kind of trite rhetoric is the real problem. The reason they can't come up with anything better is that there isn't a good solution. Obamacare was just a stepping stone to single payer. Obama said so himself. There are really only two options: government run health care which is exorbitantly expensive, or a private system that doesn't cover everyone. That's it. That's your two choices. This magical "third option" simply doesn't exist.

The real problem is that people don't live in the real world. Some problems simply don't have solutions. You can only do what works best in the real world. You can't take some abstract, utopia idea and try to make it work in reality.

That's not true. Both the Switzerland and Singapore systems are essentially private, cover everyone, and are self-sustaining. The difference is that everyone has to participate, because the penalties for non-participation are lethal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Switzerland

That was the mistake made with the ACA. The tax consequences for non-compliance were made way too soft. The ACA architects got cold feet at the worst time. But the problem is fixable. The penalties have to be made tougher. It would take a bi-partisan effort from Congress however, or leadership from the White House.

Yeah, I know. When hell freezes over for either one of those happening. :(

That's not true. Both the Switzerland and Singapore systems are essentially private, cover everyone, and are self-sustaining. The difference is that everyone has to participate, because the penalties for non-participation are lethal.

That was the mistake made with the ACA. The tax consequences for non-compliance were made way too soft. The ACA architects got cold feet at the worst time. But the problem is fixable. The penalties have to be made tougher. It would take a bi-partisan effort from Congress however, or leadership from the White House.

How exactly do you expect the Democratic side the Congress to meet with the president when they refuse to especially the black caucus.

Maybe Kelly can fix this I don't know but expecting a healthy population which doesn't need insurance to flip the bill for those who do was projected to fail.

So to say that was the sole reason the ACA is in trouble it's a little naive

Don't you believe the states should handle their own Healthcare System at this point?

Believe what you want, after our few post exchanges, I am now totally indifferent to your dire plight and mounting financial costs. Given your zest to attack others with namecalling, you are a totally unsympathetic figure.[/QUOte

You being a laker fan explains everything. Oh I only insult idiots. Sorry about that

Reactions: Bodizephax

its more than that they tried to eat the whole elephant. they would have better off puting out a minimal plan like a catastrophic program., the republicans could have never complained. not a one size fits all., its bad

Hey dumbass it was a poorly thought out and implemented plan. As far as my job situation I work periodic contract work and a part time job . that said its not consistent. so I look. You have no clue .
Presidents Obama did just that, and look at the shape our military infrastructure is in.

The good news for you is they are hiring in Cuba.
Please don't refer to this clown as president. He was an absolute joke

Zonarish,
You did a great job of insulting yourself with your comic inability to quote and respond. I'd insult your job, but you don't have one. :)

How exactly do you expect the Democratic side the Congress to meet with the president when they refuse to especially the black caucus.

Maybe Kelly can fix this I don't know but expecting a healthy population which doesn't need insurance to flip the bill for those who do was projected to fail.

So to say that was the sole reason the ACA is in trouble it's a little naive

Don't you believe the states should handle their own Healthcare System at this point?

"How exactly do you expect the Democratic side the Congress to meet with the president when they refuse to especially the black caucus."

The Democratic leadership has certainly not refused to meet with the President. I'm not sure where you're getting that. As for the CBC, health care isn't an issue the CBC would meet with Trump on their own, anyway.

"Maybe Kelly can fix this I don't know but expecting a healthy population which doesn't need insurance to flip the bill for those who do was projected to fail."

A healthy population paying the bills of the sick? We've had that in this country for over 50 years. It's called Medicare.

"Don't you believe the states should handle their own Healthcare System at this point?"

I think any state that had 18% or more uninsured before the ACA went into effect essentially admitted they were unable or unwilling to address the problem on their own. That was the case with 14 states in 2009, with Texas leading the way, as 1 in 4 Texans lived without health insurance. So no, I don't support allowing some states to just turn back the clock and allow people to die.

"How exactly do you expect the Democratic side the Congress to meet with the president when they refuse to especially the black caucus."

The Democratic leadership has certainly not refused to meet with the President. I'm not sure where you're getting that. As for the CBC, health care isn't an issue the CBC would meet with Trump on their own, anyway.

"Maybe Kelly can fix this I don't know but expecting a healthy population which doesn't need insurance to flip the bill for those who do was projected to fail."

A healthy population paying the bills of the sick? We've had that in this country for over 50 years. It's called Medicare.

"Don't you believe the states should handle their own Healthcare System at this point?"

I think any state that had 18% or more uninsured before the ACA went into effect essentially admitted they were unable or unwilling to address the problem on their own. That was the case with 14 states in 2009, with Texas leading the way, as 1 in 4 Texans lived without health insurance. So no, I don't support allowing some states to just turn back the clock and allow people to die.

"The Democratic leadership has certainly not refused to meet with the President. I'm not sure where you're getting that. As for the CBC, health care isn't an issue the CBC would meet with Trump on their own, anyway"

All that grand standing the democratic leadership cries about wanting to meet with the president yet doesn't participate ....really?
President Trump publicly have ask the democrats to work with him and the GOP on a new healthcare bill several times, but the democrats have refused to work on a new bill saying they will only work on repairing the ACA forced down the publics throat , which they will never have to use.
Why would the CBC what to work with the president on a new healthcare bill since this one is failing? Isn't it the poor minority would is effective the most?

Now you're just mudding the waters.

Economics 101 and Human Nature 101. It straitjacketed insurers into providing overly expensive, soup-to-nuts policies. It wasn't flexible enough so that people could buy as much coverage as they wanted and could afford — not what the government dictated. Many healthy people primarily want catastrophic coverage. Obamacare couldn't lure them in, couldn't persuade them to buy on the chance they'd get sick.
It allowed Americans to sign up after they got sick and needed help paying all those medical bills. Insurance should be structured so that, although you don't know if you'll need it, you pay for it anyway, just in case; your alternative is financial doom. But if you can game the system and, for example, buy auto coverage after you crash into your garage, then you have no incentive to buy insurance beforehand.
Insurance is based on risk pools — that is, the lucky subsidize the unlucky. The unlucky who have big health problems (and big medical bills) reap much greater benefits than those who remain healthy and out of the doctors' office. But Obamacare's rules hamstring insurers. They can't exclude people for pre-existing conditions, and can't charge older customers more than three times as much as the young. Those are good goals, but they skew the market in ways Obamacare didn't figure out how to offset. Result: Young and healthy consumers pay far more in premiums than their claims (probably) would justify in order to subsidize the unexpectedly large influx of older, sicker customers who require expensive care. Too many unlucky people, too few lucky people
You're a smart guy you already know this

Very misleading I thought you stated Medicare was there?

Being able to purchase across state lines solves that

Why do you think 18%, or more were uninsured? Do you think possibly that some didn't want it?
So you want to force people to purchase insurance then? Don't you think states can do that better than the Fed? Do you think the people in NY, and the people in Nebraska be forced to have the same plans when their majority populations believe differently? The birth control mandate comes to mind for starters.

Last edited:
"My last thought is for Trump to be the deal maker he is"

He really is not deal maker -- it is all myth! Trump is basically a loud mouth blow hard -- his run for the presidency (and ultimate win) was nothing more than a ploy to get his name brand a marketing boost -- basically -- all he does is tweet a bunch of BS and play golf -- the same thing he bashed Obama about.

I seriously doubt he gets anything accomplished in his 4 years
The problem is none of the Democrats and some of the people in his own party or obstructing what he wants to do.

A simple solution is to have the government pay the catastrophic health care for everybody that's an American citizen which is part of the benefit of being an American citizen. Then based on your age in special circumstances you can then buy insurance ala' carte. Then they get what they can afford and they get what they need. And another thing, if you do bad things your body like drink excessively, smoke cigarettes, or do illegal drugs, or overweight, don't eat healthy. you should pay more for insurance, just like if you're a bad driver you pay more for auto insurance.

The real problem is the republicans dont care about Americans or they wouldnt support tax cuts for billionaires while trying to take away healthcare for 16 million real americans. Reps dont care about Americans or they would not support a fake president who is a liar, traitor and a moron.

Again, this is just political gibberish that doesn't address the real problem. "Tax cuts for billionaires" isn't the problem. Here is what people don't get. It's not a matter of who you are taxing. The only thing relevant is the overall tax base. Basically, to figure out how much total money is available, just look at the yearly GDP. That's how much overall money you have to collect taxes from. Obviously, you can't take 100% of that. You can only take a percentage. Problem is, if tax beyond a certain point, it stops growth in the economy.

I am a big proponent of the single payer system. Build a few less warplanes and ships.

Like I said above, that's not going to solve the problem. Cutting back on "warplanes and ships" wouldn't come close to paying for single payer. Not even remotely in the ballpark.

This is the biggest thing I can't stand, when somebody brings up a small country and says "See, they can do it!" Switzerland is not at all comparable to the United States. They don't have fund and support any near the things we do. For example, Switzerland isn't responsible for the defense of Europe.

Let me give you this analogy. Switzerland is like a 16-year old kid, who has a part-time job and is living at home. It's easy to save up money buy what you want and buys things you want when you don't have to pay rent, electric bill, water bill, car insurance, home insurance, grocery bill, etc. When you get out in the real world and have to pay for everything yourself, you simply can't run around and buy a bunch of goodies like you could as a kid with no responsibility. Same thing for a small country with few external responsibilities, versus a country like us that has to do the heavy lifting.

Yeah, Medicare is in really great shape. Both Medicare and Social Security are projected to run out of money in the next 20-odd years. Now go ahead and pile on more Medicaid and Obama/whatever Care on top of that. I swear, it's amazing how so many people actual concept of how real economics work. It's like some of you literally believe money grows on trees.

Not at all

Higher student success, smaller classes, less government bureaucracy, religious freedom

BTW my brother was also in the Marine Corps for 6 years serve during Desert Storm
Not sure what being in the Marines has to do with teaching choices but I commend him and you for your service. If they didn't t like the union did they attempt to change things ? Run for an officer position ? Bring a different approach to the table ? Easiest thing to do is complain or quit.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Yeah great idea, lets let the government run everything since they do such a swell job no matter what they get their greedy little hands on. Your left wing views are nauseating just like your love for bk.
Healthcare is not a retail item nor should it be. A few less warplanes and ships could pay for a lot of things.

Reactions: Islero
Yeah, Medicare is in really great shape. Both Medicare and Social Security are projected to run out of money in the next 20-odd years. Now go ahead and pile on more Medicaid and Obama/whatever Care on top of that. I swear, it's amazing how so many people actual concept of how real economics work. It's like some of you literally believe money grows on trees.
You can decry Medicare all you want, but it's been around for over 50 years and most studies regard it as a success. Independently of its long term sustainability, it does serve as an example of hayaka's point of being a mechanism where the healthy pay for the bills of the sick. And as to its long term sustainability, Cassandras have been predicting its imminent collapse for years. A Henry A. Kaiser study concludes that its operating costs have stabilized and that it should be viably intact into the future.

Last edited:
How in the hell is the ACA going to allow you do anything when it can't even support its own weight.
It is unsustainable but please keep your head in the sand.
You want to blast insurance companies in this rant failing to realize insurance companies profits almost doubled under Obama's tenure

He is just a left coaster self-serving millennial they live in a bubble

Not sure what being in the Marines has to do with teaching choices but I commend him and you for yo upur service. If they didn't t like the union did they attempt to change things ? Run for an officer position ? Bring a different approach to the table ? Easiest thing to do is complain or quit.
Sure they did.
They were teaching in Morristown NJ ( Not exactly a bad area in fact pretty well off from what I'm to understand, but (according to them) between the forced social experimenting in classes, students spending a lot of time on cell phones during class, the classes were getting bigger and bigger.
I remember my brother telling me the public school teachers have become the scapegoat.
The job they took in Texas didn't pay as well, but they felt they were becoming overwhelmed with things that had nothing to do with teaching. It also gave my brother a chance to bring wrestling to their new school.

Listen echo
I've told you many times you truly are one of my favorites on the board.
Politics bring out the best and worst in people. With the season coming up I hope we can look past our differences. I know I can
Thank you for being a dedicated public teacher. I'm sure your students appreciate it
Take care brother

Reactions: rgc7 and echowaker
Sure they did.
They were teaching in Morristown NJ ( Not exactly a bad area in fact pretty well off from what I'm to understand, but (according to them) between the forced social experimenting in classes, students spending a lot of time on cell phones during class, the classes were getting bigger and bigger.
I remember my brother telling me the public school teachers have become the scapegoat.
The job they took in Texas didn't pay as well, but they felt they were becoming overwhelmed with things that had nothing to do with teaching. It also gave my brother a chance to bring wrestling to their new school.

Listen echo
I've told you many times you truly are one of my favorites on the board.
Politics bring out the best and worst in people. With the season coming up I hope we can look past our differences. I know I can
Thank you for being a dedicated public teacher. I'm sure your students appreciate it
Take care brother
I appreciate that sir and same to you. I take my profession and any criticism of my union very seriously. We are pushing molasses up a sandy hill everyday trying to make a difference. I certainly don't agree with everything the NEA does on a national level. It's what happens locally and statewide that has the most impact. Ohio is a mess. Kasich while I think he s done a decent job on most issues has been a total disaster on education. All any of us can do is keep fighting the good fight. I have a very optimistic view for the upcoming season. 2016 was an anomaly in my eyes and i expect no less than 9 wins.

Last edited:
Again, this is just political gibberish that doesn't address the real problem. "Tax cuts for billionaires" isn't the problem. Here is what people don't get. It's not a matter of who you are taxing. The only thing relevant is the overall tax base. Basically, to figure out how much total money is available, just look at the yearly GDP. That's how much overall money you have to collect taxes from. Obviously, you can't take 100% of that. You can only take a percentage. Problem is, if tax beyond a certain point, it stops growth in the economy.

Like I said above, that's not going to solve the problem. Cutting back on "warplanes and ships" wouldn't come close to paying for single payer. Not even remotely in the ballpark.

This is the biggest thing I can't stand, when somebody brings up a small country and says "See, they can do it!" Switzerland is not at all comparable to the United States. They don't have fund and support any near the things we do. For example, Switzerland isn't responsible for the defense of Europe.

Let me give you this analogy. Switzerland is like a 16-year old kid, who has a part-time job and is living at home. It's easy to save up money buy what you want and buys things you want when you don't have to pay rent, electric bill, water bill, car insurance, home insurance, grocery bill, etc. When you get out in the real world and have to pay for everything yourself, you simply can't run around and buy a bunch of goodies like you could as a kid with no responsibility. Same thing for a small country with few external responsibilities, versus a country like us that has to do the heavy lifting.

The reason I brought up Switzerland is because you said---point blank---that you can't have universal coverage under a private health care system. The Swiss example shows that you are simply wrong about that.

So now you're shifting gears and claiming "Switzerland is a small country" and it doesn't have to pay for its own defense, etc. In other words, you just looked for differences between the Swiss and the US and then tried to ram them into your argument, whether they are relevant or not.

Taking the second argument first, the Swiss actually do quite a lot to ensure their own defense. They are not part of NATO, and every able-bodied Swiss male from 18 to 60 is either in the regular armed forces or the Swiss reserves. In terms of expenditures, the Swiss pay about 1% of GDP for defense needs, which is certainly more per capita than what the US expends on European defense. Oh, did you think the US pays like 15% or 20% of GDP in defense expenditures? It is certainly high, compared to the rest of the world, but it is only 3.3% of US GDP, with NATO funding about 1/5th of that 3.3%. The idea that the US can't afford universal health coverage because of our military commitments is just silly, frankly.

Your first issue (Switzerland is too small to care about) is always brought up, usually without any context (Switzerland is about the same size and population as Massachusetts and Connecticut combined. Massachusetts is actually an interesting comparison, because Massachusetts under Romney used a variant of the Swiss health care model, and still has the lowest percentage of uninsured in the US today.) But fine, you don't like small country analogies, let's take Switzerland and their three large neighbors (France, Germany, and Italy). as a composite. That is a total of around 215 million people. While the systems are somewhat different within the four countries, they all have universal coverage, and by virtually every measure are more efficient than the US system, with lower costs but healthier populations.

Yes, taxes are a little higher in these countries, but not as much as you would think. The highest US marginal incomes tax rates rates fall between 39% and 52% depending on the state income tax rate. In Germany it is about 52%, and Italy 47%. In France it is about 45%, except for very high income earners, who pay through the nose. In Switzerland, it is a ridiculously low 13%, not including their individual canon taxes. Therefore, in terms of income taxes, these countries don't look that much different than what we pay. They just get much better results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_rates

Getting back to your original point though, It is true that the Swiss private health care model is not perfect. It is more expensive than single payer, as Swiss health care costs are the 2nd highest in the world (guess who is first). But what you can't say is that they have failed to achieve universal coverage despite relying on a private, market-driven model. That is just incorrect.

Last edited:
The reason I brought up Switzerland is because you said---point blank---that you can't have universal coverage under a private health care system. The Swiss example shows that you are simply wrong about that.

So now you're shifting gears and claiming "Switzerland is a small country" and it doesn't have to pay for its own defense, etc. In other words, you just looked for differences between the Swiss and the US and then tried to ram them into your argument, whether they are relevant or not.

Taking the second argument first, the Swiss actually do quite a lot to ensure their own defense. They are not part of NATO, and every able-bodied Swiss male from 18 to 60 is either in the regular armed forces or the Swiss reserves. In terms of expenditures, the Swiss pay about 1% of GDP for defense needs, which is certainly more per capita than what the US expends on European defense. Oh, did you think the US pays like 15% or 20% of GDP in defense expenditures? It is certainly high, compared to the rest of the world, but it is only 3.3% of US GDP, with NATO funding about 1/5th of that 3.3%. The idea that the US can't afford universal health coverage because of our military commitments is just silly, frankly.

Your first issue (Switzerland is too small to care about) is always brought up, usually without any context (Switzerland is about the same size and population as Massachusetts and Connecticut combined. Massachusetts is actually an interesting comparison, because Massachusetts under Romney used a variant of the Swiss health care model, and still has the lowest percentage of uninsured in the US today.) But fine, you don't like small country analogies, let's take Switzerland and their three large neighbors (France, Germany, and Italy). as a composite. That is a total of around 215 million people. While the systems are somewhat different within the four countries, they all have universal coverage, and by virtually every measure are more efficient than the US system, with lower costs but healthier populations.

Yes, taxes are a little higher in these countries, but not as much as you would think. The highest US marginal incomes tax rates rates fall between 39% and 52% depending on the state income tax rate. In Germany it is about 52%, and Italy 47%. In France it is about 45%, except for very high income earners, who pay through the nose. In Switzerland, it is a ridiculously low 13%, not including their individual canon taxes. Therefore, in terms of income taxes, these countries don't look that much different than what we pay. They just get much better results.

Getting back to your original point though, It is true that the Swiss private health care model is not perfect. It is more expensive than single payer, as Swiss health care costs are the 2nd highest in the world (guess who is first). But what you can't say is that they have failed to achieve universal coverage despite relying on a private, market-driven model. That is just incorrect.

"... let's take Switzerland and their three large neighbors (France, Germany, and Italy). as a composite. That is a total of around 215 million people. While the systems are somewhat different within the four countries, they all have universal coverage...
"

Sounds like States rights to me...

Thank you mate for making my point.

If someone doesn't like to healthcare there in that state they can move to another state where other options are better.

"... let's take Switzerland and their three large neighbors (France, Germany, and Italy). as a composite. That is a total of around 215 million people. While the systems are somewhat different within the four countries, they all have universal coverage...
"

Sounds like States rights to me...

Thank you mate for making my point.

If someone doesn't like to healthcare there in that state they can move to another state where other options are better.

I'm not sure I understand your point, DIP. Yes, France, Germany and Italy are all part of the EU, so you can move from one to the other, but they are all single payer, so they don't look that much different, i.e. the system will look pretty much the same in all three. It will look different in Switzerland, but you can't move back and forth from Switzerland, as they are not part of the EU.

As far as selling health insurance across state lines in the US, how will that help? The insurance carrier will still have to meet the requirements of a state if it wants to sell insurance in that state. In fact, even now under Obamacare you can sell across state lines, but nobody seems to be doing it.

"Why do careful students of health care view cross-state sales of insurance skeptically?

One reason is that it is already allowed –- and yet basically doesn’t happen. States possess the authority to sanction sales across their borders, and to define the conditions for such sales. In addition to this generic state authority, Section 1333 of Obamacare authorizes “health care choice compacts” across states. As of last month, five states had passed legislation allowing insurance plans that cross state lines: Rhode Island, Wyoming, Georgia, Kentucky and Maine. Georgia’s law has been in effect since 2011, yet no insurer has yet offered an out-of-state policy there — or in any of the other four states."

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2017/03/07/443794.htm

Reactions: benko's army
I'm not sure I understand your point, DIP. Yes, France, Germany and Italy are all part of the EU, so you can move from one to the other, but they are all single payer, so they don't look that much different, i.e. the system will look pretty much the same in all three. It will look different in Switzerland, but you can't move back and forth from Switzerland, as they are not part of the EU.

As far as selling health insurance across state lines in the US, how will that help? The insurance carrier will still have to meet the requirements of a state if it wants to sell insurance in that state. In fact, even now under Obamacare you can sell across state lines, but nobody seems to be doing it.

"Why do careful students of health care view cross-state sales of insurance skeptically?

One reason is that it is already allowed –- and yet basically doesn’t happen. States possess the authority to sanction sales across their borders, and to define the conditions for such sales. In addition to this generic state authority, Section 1333 of Obamacare authorizes “health care choice compacts” across states. As of last month, five states had passed legislation allowing insurance plans that cross state lines: Rhode Island, Wyoming, Georgia, Kentucky and Maine. Georgia’s law has been in effect since 2011, yet no insurer has yet offered an out-of-state policy there — or in any of the other four states."

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2017/03/07/443794.htm

Insurers are not interested in selling the ACA across state lines, but first States would have to explicitly pass legislation to empower insurers to enter into these agreements.

Insurance companies in these special agreements under ObamaCare would still have to follow the law's minimum standards, which requires all health plans to cover certain types of providers and services in each network. The biggest change is that companies could skirt rules that are stricter than ObamaCare's

The bottom line ayaka the ACA must be scraped, and the Congress must get together and come up with that true compromise.
There's never been a better time for term limits in Congress than now.

I'm not wrong. As I told you, you have two choices, universal health care, where everybody gets covered, but it's extremely expensive. Or, you have private sector health care, where some people won't be insured. In your Switzerland example, everyone is required to have health insurance. Soooooooooo, what happens when somebody can't afford insurance, but their mandated to buy it? Yeah, so we're back to the government again.

Now aside, from that, let me get to the point about defense. You aren't getting what I'm talking about. You mentioned what Switzerland does for its own defense. That's not what I said about the United States. I said we have to defend Europe. So, we have to defend ourselves AND Europe. As you said, Switzerland isn't a part of NATO, so the military spending is strictly to protect Switzerland. It isn't protecting the rest of Europe, which is what we do.

That leads into another point. You think if the Russians roll in with armored divisions and jet fighter squadrons, the Swiss would have any prayer of stopping them? No, they wouldn't. They would be completely outmanned and outgunned. The real reason the Swiss are protected are the 30,000+ troops we have stationed in Germany (and the rest in various other countries). They (like the other European nations) depend on us for defense. They would not be able to field the kind of military power and protection we provide at their current levels of spending.

And that leads to my final point. You misunderstood me, when you started mentioning the U.S. spends ~3% GDP on defense. My point was not that out military spending precludes us having universal health care. Completely inaccurate. My point was, if these other countries (like Switzerland) had to pay for their entire defense themselves (i.e. replicating the U.S. military presence), they wouldn't have all this extra money to spend on domestic programs like healthcare. It's because we provide that underlying framework that they are able to channel more of their resources to domestic programs. So, my point is not that the spending hurts us, it's that it artificially helps them. That was my point with the 16-year old kid analogy. These countries are able to avoid a lot of normal expenses, because of the help we provide. They wouldn't be able to do all these things without it.

I'm not wrong. As I told you, you have two choices, universal health care, where everybody gets covered, but it's extremely expensive. Or, you have private sector health care, where some people won't be insured. In your Switzerland example, everyone is required to have health insurance. Soooooooooo, what happens when somebody can't afford insurance, but their mandated to buy it? Yeah, so we're back to the government again.

Now aside, from that, let me get to the point about defense. You aren't getting what I'm talking about. You mentioned what Switzerland does for its own defense. That's not what I said about the United States. I said we have to defend Europe. So, we have to defend ourselves AND Europe. As you said, Switzerland isn't a part of NATO, so the military spending is strictly to protect Switzerland. It isn't protecting the rest of Europe, which is what we do.

That leads into another point. You think if the Russians roll in with armored divisions and jet fighter squadrons, the Swiss would have any prayer of stopping them? No, they wouldn't. They would be completely outmanned and outgunned. The real reason the Swiss are protected are the 30,000+ troops we have stationed in Germany (and the rest in various other countries). They (like the other European nations) depend on us for defense. They would not be able to field the kind of military power and protection we provide at their current levels of spending.

And that leads to my final point. You misunderstood me, when you started mentioning the U.S. spends ~3% GDP on defense. My point was not that out military spending precludes us having universal health care. Completely inaccurate. My point was, if these other countries (like Switzerland) had to pay for their entire defense themselves (i.e. replicating the U.S. military presence), they wouldn't have all this extra money to spend on domestic programs like healthcare. It's because we provide that underlying framework that they are able to channel more of their resources to domestic programs. So, my point is not that the spending hurts us, it's that it artificially helps them. That was my point with the 16-year old kid analogy. These countries are able to avoid a lot of normal expenses, because of the help we provide. They wouldn't be able to do all these things without it.

The hell with the Swiss !! Lets stop protecting them ! Let them Yodel their way out of a Russian invasion !

[QUOTE="topdecktiger, post: 2055665, member: 10530"I'm not wrong. As I told you, you have two choices, universal health care, where everybody gets covered, but it's extremely expensive. Or, you have private sector health care, where some people won't be insured. In your Switzerland example, everyone is required to have health insurance. Soooooooooo, what happens when somebody can't afford insurance, but their mandated to buy it? Yeah, so we're back to the government again.

And that leads to my final point. You misunderstood me, when you started mentioning the U.S. spends ~3% GDP on defense. My point was not that out military spending precludes us having universal health care. Completely inaccurate. My point was, if these other countries (like Switzerland) had to pay for their entire defense themselves (i.e. replicating the U.S. military presence), they wouldn't have all this extra money to spend on domestic programs like healthcare. It's because we provide that underlying framework that they are able to channel more of their resources to domestic programs. So, my point is not that the spending hurts us, it's that it artificially helps them. That was my point with the 16-year old kid analogy. These countries are able to avoid a lot of normal expenses, because of the help we provide. They wouldn't be able to do all these things without it.[/QUOTE]

"I'm not wrong. As I told you, you have two choices, universal health care, where everybody gets covered, but it's extremely expensive. Or, you have private sector health care, where some people won't be insured. In your Switzerland example, everyone is required to have health insurance. Soooooooooo, what happens when somebody can't afford insurance, but their mandated to buy it? Yeah, so we're back to the government again."

Oh well, we're moving the goal posts again. Now it has to be not only a private, market-based system that provides universal coverage, but there can't be any government role at all. That has never been the case, Even in the dark, dreary days before Medicare, there has always been some government role.

"That leads into another point. You think if the Russians roll in with armored divisions and jet fighter squadrons, the Swiss would have any prayer of stopping them? No, they wouldn't. They would be completely outmanned and outgunned. The real reason the Swiss are protected are the 30,000+ troops we have stationed in Germany (and the rest in various other countries). They (like the other European nations) depend on us for defense. They would not be able to field the kind of military power and protection we provide at their current levels of spending."

Interesting. You think that the 60,000 odd American troops scattered around Europe are a greater deterrent than the other 1.3 million NATO troops deployed there. Americans are funny, sometimes.

Not to mention, what kind of a threat do we really face? Taken a look at a map of Europe lately? The Warsaw Pact is gone--in fact, some of the largest countries in the Pact have switched sides. The massive Soviet Union, once a country of 15 republics and 300 million, now has fewer people than Bangladesh, and will have fewer than Mexico in about 10 years.

Moreover, in its only significant military engagement in the 21st century, the Russians pretty much made a mess of things in South Ossetia.

"It was clear that much Russian equipment was obsolete compared even to that of Georgia’s military, which by and large also was equipped with Soviet weapon systems, albeit modernised. Perhaps the greatest worry was breakdowns in command and control, the inability of the army and air force to cooperate efficiently, and poor performance when it came to electronic warfare and the use of precision weapons. This is especially troubling for a country that wants to compete with the West and claim its place as one of a handful of great powers globally rather than satisfy itself with a role as a regional power capable of taking on smaller neighbours."

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/09592310902975539

"My point was not that out military spending precludes us having universal health care. Completely inaccurate. My point was, if these other countries (like Switzerland) had to pay for their entire defense themselves (i.e. replicating the U.S. military presence), they wouldn't have all this extra money to spend on domestic programs like healthcare. It's because we provide that underlying framework that they are able to channel more of their resources to domestic programs."

Okay, well to take just one example, France currently puts about 2.3% of its GDP into military spending. For them to match the US level at 3.3%, they would need to reallocate about $24 billion to the military. You don't think they could do that from a overall GDP of $2.6 trillion? I'll answer for you--yeah, they could, and it wouldn't require breaking up the French health care system.

I'm pleased that you appear to agree however, that our military commitments are not preventing us from implementing universal coverage. That is a excuse one often hears--that our global security posture prevents us from making more robust health care expenditures at home.

Last edited:
I see Joe pesci is gone after a whole 10 days. Hopefully Kelly will bring a level of maturity and professionalism to an administration that is sorely in need of some.

I see Joe pesci is gone after a whole 10 days. Hopefully Kelly will bring a level of maturity and professionalism to an administration that is sorely in need of some.
Funny stuff, Mucci gets whacked by Mick, and loses his wife in the process. Indirectly, Trump is getting more people fired than he ever did on The Apprentice.

Reactions: benko's army
20451975_10159049616960612_7408605392142923594_o.png.jpg

Kelly is all professional. A career professional. I hope President Trump leans on him, and I hope Kelly can talk him off the Twitter feed.

There must be a certain amount of dignity in the capital.

Reactions: echowaker
Funny stuff, Mucci gets whacked by Mick, and loses his wife in the process. Indirectly, Trump is getting more people fired than he ever did on The Apprentice.

The Irish and the Italians have been butting heads forever nothing new here

Kelly is all professional. A career professional. I hope President Trump leans on him, and I hope Kelly can talk him off the Twitter feed.

There must be a certain amount of dignity in the capital.

Exactly right. Kelly is a professional in a White House filled with amateurs. Hopefully he can grab the reins and give them a good yank.

[QUOTE=",.........I'm pleased that you appear to agree however, that our military commitments are not preventing us from implementing universal coverage.,.....[/QUOTE]

The Constitution says the federal government isn't suppose to provide Universal Health Care but, it does allow the federal government to protect us from dangers home and abroad.

This is a states rights issue

Reactions: Pennick44
Exactly right. Kelly is a professional in a White House filled with amateurs. Hopefully he can grab the reins and give them a good yank.

President Trump has put a lot of quality Professionals in the White House
Just growing pains.
Clearly he isn't the first president to have problems in the first year of presidency with his staff
President Clinton went through the same thing

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennick44
President Trump has put a lot of quality Professionals in the White House
Just growing pains.
Clearly he is the first president to have problems in the first year of presidency with his staff
President Clinton went through the same thing

A few pros. Mattis and McMaster spring to mind. Someone needs to rein in Trump, or it'll remain amateur hour.

[QUOTE=",.........I'm pleased that you appear to agree however, that our military commitments are not preventing us from implementing universal coverage.,.....

The Constitution says the federal government isn't suppose to provide Universal Health Care but, it does allow the federal government to protect us from dangers home and abroad.

This is a states rights issue[/QUOTE]

GENERAL WELFARE CLAUSE.Article I, section 8 of the U. S. Constitution grants Congress the power to "lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts, and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common defense and general Welfare of the United States."

When affordable healthcare becomes unavailable or unaffordable it is easily a constitutionally viable argument that the federal government can provide healthcare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT