ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Trump was actually right about something

Islero

All Star
Mar 28, 2014
John McCain is an American hero. His decisive vote last night pulling the plug on the health care repeal effort added further proof. Loved how he earlier voted to extend the debate, and then lowered the boom. This valiant act offsets his gaffe of elevating national embarrassment, Sarah Palin, to celebrity status.

It was the right vote. Even Republicans who voted for the "skinny repeal" knew it was a disaster.

They tried to get the House to agree that it wouldn't accept the bill if it passed the Senate. "Hey Paul, will you pinky swear not to pass this piece of shit bill that we're sending you?" True story. I can't believe anyone voted "yes" under such circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Islero
It was the right vote. Even Republicans who voted for the "skinny repeal" new it was a disaster.

They tried to get the House to agree that it wouldn't accept the bill if it passed the Senate. "Hey Paul, will you pinky swear not to pass this piece of shit bill that we're sending you?" True story. I can't believe anyone voted "yes" under such circumstances.
Just let the ACA fail. There's no fixing a stupid bill

It was the right vote. Even Republicans who voted for the "skinny repeal" new it was a disaster.

Really you're calling out Rand Paul?
Don't you realize a piece of shitbill has already been passed and signed by President Obama

John McCain is an American hero. His decisive vote last night pulling the plug on the health care repeal effort added further proof. Loved how he earlier voted to extend the debate, and then lowered the boom. This valiant act offsets his gaffe of elevating national embarrassment, Sarah Palin, to celebrity status.

It's time for John McCain to step aside he has become a useless senator

Paul Ryan's a joke. Sorry for the misunderstanding

True. I mentioned Ryan because of the story that I linked above. Senators actually contacted him to get assurances that, if they passed the skinny repeal, the house wouldn't accept it "as is."

In other words, they thought the bill they were about to vote yes on was inadequate, and wanted to make sure the house wouldn't allow it to get to the president's desk without amendments.

Posted elsewhere, and reposting here as this thread seems more appropriate.
I am more disappointed in Trump's lack of involvement in this debate, than I am in the actions of the moderate Republicans. I think there is an opportunity to do something really meaningful and long lasting in this area, but it requires Execustive leadership from Trump. Let's deal with reality. Obamacare has moved the needle in American expectations for healthcare: we generally think everyone should have access to affordable healthcare, those less fortunate should have government help with the premiums, pre existing conditions should not preclude affordable coverage, and insurance companies shouldn't receive huge government subsidies to participate. We also don't like the individual mandate or the employer mandates or the prescriptive level of insurance coverage. Most of us are ignorant of the extent to which Obamacare expanded Medicaid to the working poor for the twenty or so States that chose to accept this, but this is a real budget killer and the States that opted for the expansion are NEVER going to support reform that cuts the federal bucks to them for this.
I'm probably in the minority of those who post here, but I would like to see Trump propose a radical new approach. Something along the lines of:
1. Allow insurance companies to offer whatever mix of benefits and costs they want. Do Not require coverage for pre existing conditions or removal of coverage caps, etc... in other words, allow insurance to work as insurance like it is supposed to in a market economy.
2. Allow insurance companies to sell across state lines, but also require that they create exchanges that offer group rates to individuals. This should be left to them to decide how to bundle these...by geography or industry, etc...
3. Provide a Public Option ( the liberals holy grail for a single payer system ) that anyone can buy, patterned after Medicare for seniors except for requiring some level of co pays and deductibles, that covers pre existing conditions and operates without a cap, etc...
4. The Public Option has to be self funded and premiums adjusted annually just like the private sector insurance companies. Government assistance for the premiums will be provided on a needs based system.
5. Everyone would be required to have health insurance. Employers would be required to collect the premiums under either option. For those opting for the public Option, premiums would be deducted from their pay as part of the payroll taxes currently deducted.
6. Employers would be required to offer insurance, whether through private insurance companies or through the Public Option or through the exchanges, and those decisions will be part of the benefits package they offer to compete for the best employees.

The Public Option would be loved by the Dems, and hated by the Repubs, and safeguards would have to be placed to ensure it is self funded by premiums (some with government assistance) and essentially compete in the market place. For those who argue this is the first step to socialized medicine, I would argue that we are long past that with Medicaid and Medicare already servicing a significant portion of our population. Our private sector insurance companies should thrive under a free market environment. This would not be inexpensive, that is the government assistance for the needy under the Public Option, but the reality is we are already spending huge amounts of resources in a very inefficient hybrid approach that ruins the efficiencies of a market economy approach; and I personally think it is good public policy to ensure healthcare for everyone.

My last thought is for Trump to be the deal maker he is, and put something like this together, but add in a huge kicker for conservatives, and that would be to offer this in conjunction with a school choice voucher system. There are aspect of this for liberals and conservatives to love and hate equally. I appreciate this is a very complicated issue with deep felt principles at play,, and that's why someone like Trump can in fact make a difference if he steps in and presents a compelling alternative that has cross Party likes and dislikes, and then use the bully pulpit to sell his program to he Public. Sorry for the rant!

As opposed to him having to use the plan that was on the table for a vote yesterday? I'm surprised the GOP didn't adopt the slogan, "If you want your mortician you can keep your mortician.
Thats an ACA slogan already with the addition if you like your provider what him leave

Reactions: TOMMY_23
Just let the ACA fail. There's no fixing a stupid bill
I think it's completely irresponsible for ANY president to say and want something to fail that would negatively impact millions of Americans if indeed that would happen. One would think that proper direction to go would be to come up with something that is an improvement and that benefits ALL citizens and then replace the current plan. That would take leadership from all involved. Unfortunately our politicians lack that very thing.

I think it's completely irresponsible for ANY president to say and want something to fail that would negatively impact millions of Americans if indeed that would happen. One would think that proper direction to go would be to come up with something.

Exactly. Trump is the President of all Americans, not just his supporters. You can't let Americans suffer to get an "I told you so."

ACA has its flaws. The Republicans offered a rushed bill that was far worse. Instead of taking their ball and going home, they should try to improve the ACA.

Helping Americans, rather than political parties and special interests, should be the goal on BOTH sides.

Reactions: baron100 and Islero
I think it's completely irresponsible for ANY president to say and want something to fail that would negatively impact millions of Americans if indeed that would happen. One would think that proper direction to go would be to come up with something that is an improvement and that benefits ALL citizens and then replace the current plan. That would take leadership from all involved. Unfortunately our politicians lack that very thing.

And and I would equally think it's just as irresponsible to pass and promote a bill the way the previous president did knowing it would fail. One would think the best way to fix it is to get together as a collective group, but the Democrats are too busy wrapped up in a false Russia story and the fact that Donald Trump is president and Moderates do not wish too because they are part of big government.

Since the two previous Administrations have bankrupt this country there is no way to cover everyone responsibly.

The current plan needs to be scraped completely

Reactions: shabak and TOMMY_23
Exactly. Trump is the President of all Americans, not just his supporters. You can't let Americans suffer to get an "I told you so."

ACA has its flaws. The Republicans offered a rushed bill that was far worse. Instead of taking their ball and going home, they should try to improve the ACA.

Helping Americans, rather than political parties and special interests, should be the goal on BOTH sides.

The ACA having flaws in the understatement of the year

It was designed to enrich the insurance companies and work our way to a single-payer. There Is no bill that can be far worse.

Let it burn

I am more disappointed in Trump's lack of involvement in this debate, than I am in the actions of the moderate Republicans. I think there is an opportunity to do something really meaningful and long lasting in this area, but it requires Execustive leadership from Trump. Let's deal with reality. Obamacare has moved the needle in American expectations for healthcare: we generally think everyone should have access to affordable healthcare, those less fortunate should have government help with the premiums, pre existing conditions should not preclude affordable coverage, and insurance companies shouldn't receive huge government subsidies to participate. We also don't like the individual mandate or the employer mandates or the prescriptive level of insurance coverage. Most of us are ignorant of the extent to which Obamacare expanded Medicaid to the working poor for the twenty or so States that chose to accept this, but this is a real budget killer and the States that opted for the expansion are NEVER going to support reform that cuts the federal bucks to them for this.
I'm probably in the minority of those who post here, but I would like to see Trump propose a radical new approach. Something along the lines of:
1. Allow insurance companies to offer whatever mix of benefits and costs they want. Do Not require coverage for pre existing conditions or removal of coverage caps, etc... in other words, allow insurance to work as insurance like it is supposed to in a market economy.
2. Allow insurance companies to sell across state lines, but also require that they create exchanges that offer group rates to individuals. This should be left to them to decide how to bundle these...by geography or industry, etc...
3. Provide a Public Option ( the liberals holy grail for a single payer system ) that anyone can buy, patterned after Medicare for seniors except for requiring some level of co pays and deductibles, that covers pre existing conditions and operates without a cap, etc...
4. The Public Option has to be self funded and premiums adjusted annually just like the private sector insurance companies. Government assistance for the premiums will be provided on a needs based system.
5. Everyone would be required to have health insurance. Employers would be required to collect the premiums under either option. For those opting for the public Option, premiums would be deducted from their pay as part of the payroll taxes currently deducted.
6. Employers would be required to offer insurance, whether through private insurance companies or through the Public Option or through the exchanges, and those decisions will be part of the benefits package they offer to compete for the best employees.

The Public Option would be loved by the Dems, and hated by the Repubs, and safeguards would have to be placed to ensure it is self funded by premiums (some with government assistance) and essentially compete in the market place. For those who argue this is the first step to socialized medicine, I would argue that we are long past that with Medicaid and Medicare already servicing a significant portion of our population. Our private sector insurance companies should thrive under a free market environment. This would not be inexpensive, that is the government assistance for the needy under the Public Option, but the reality is we are already spending huge amounts of resources in a very inefficient hybrid approach that ruins the efficiencies of a market economy approach; and I personally think it is good public policy to ensure healthcare for everyone.

My last thought is for Trump to be the deal maker he is, and put something like this together, but add in a huge kicker for conservatives, and that would be to offer this in conjunction with a school choice voucher system. There are aspect of this for liberals and conservatives to love and hate equally. I appreciate this is a very complicated issue with deep felt principles at play,, and that's why someone like Trump can in fact make a difference if he steps in and presents a compelling alternative that has cross Party likes and dislikes, and then use the bully pulpit to sell his program to he Public. Sorry for the rant!

"My last thought is for Trump to be the deal maker he is"

He really is not deal maker -- it is all myth! Trump is basically a loud mouth blow hard -- his run for the presidency (and ultimate win) was nothing more than a ploy to get his name brand a marketing boost -- basically -- all he does is tweet a bunch of BS and play golf -- the same thing he bashed Obama about.

I seriously doubt he gets anything accomplished in his 4 years

The good side of obamacare is preexisting care is covered the bad is everything else. What I think trump could have done is go on speaking tours where the Rino reps are. Also in the unlike how the ACA was passed they need bipartisanship to do a better job than the garbage that ACA is

I wish they had pre-existing car insurance and home owners insurance. Something catastrophic happens to car or house, make a call, and bingo, insured.

So my situation, I am currently looking for a full-time position. When I went to the Obamacare exchanges it was roughly 700-750 per person per month. With a min 10k deductible . insurance separately is much less about half the cost or less. the problem with a preexisting condition they wont take you. that said my choice is pay mortgage or pay insurance not both can't be done. so its not as funny as you think/

So my situation, I am currently looking for a full-time position. When I went to the Obamacare exchanges it was roughly 700-750 per person per month. With a min 10k deductible . insurance separately is much less about half the cost or less. the problem with a preexisting condition they wont take you. that said my choice is pay mortgage or pay insurance not both can't be done. so its not as funny as you think/

Tough choice brother.
Sorry to here about that..

He should have left the Senate years ago.! Great American but stayed on much too long.
Term Limits!!
Term limits for sure.
Unlike our forefathers own weren't paid it truly was public service

Now I'm not advicating the Congress working for free, but limits for sure

No more professional federal politions .

Moved the needle for expectations of health care??? Hahaha wow! Every working class person I know has suffered mightily under Obama care. Costs when up, coverage went down.. let's keep pandering to the minorities and poor.

Not meaning to be harsh, but if you landed employment, your health care would probably be cut in half. Without Obamacare, you'd likely be paying $2K a month.

Reactions: benko's army
16 million americans that still have health insurance today think McCain is a hero and comrade Trumpsky is still a liar, traitor and moron along with the rest of his disgraced party.

Last edited:
Reactions: benko's army
16 million americans that still have health insurance today think McCain is a hero today and comrade Trumpsky is still a liar, traitor and moron along with the rest of his disgraced party.
That's until the ACA completely fails.
They should enjoy it while it lasts or at least till the providers haven't left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT