ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Death, Taxes and Lebron James

Definitely in the conversation for sure. He was not an abject failure. What he accomplished in baseball was actually very impressive. He hadnt played in over 13 years

How would those guys do if they took off 13 years in one of those sports? My guess is pretty terrible.

So not a fair argument at all

Absolutely one of the greater athletes of all time
Not true. He had no business being at the level they put him at. Was akin to having young Collinsworth being in the booth calling ND games . Neither were good enough or qualified for their respective levels. Reinsdorf gave Jordan a gimme.

PSA: THIS IS NOT A GOAT DEBATE OR A POLITICAL THREAD

All im gonna say is how can he still be playing at this level in year fricking 21?
While it's still early in the season the dude is still performing like a legit top 10 player in the league. He defies NBA logic. When he goes off the court the Lakers fall apart when he is on the court their a +21.
I fully expect the haters to come out in full force, but at some point yall owe him atleast a golf clap of respect.
You do realize the rules are VASTLY different from previous era's.
No it's not
Yes it is. You're clueless. It was definitely harder on the players in previous era's. Today, basketball is so soft and weak, it's easy to get 20+ years out of a player. add in load management and you can extend a player 25+ years today. Jordan, Bird, Magic, Chamberlain, Shaq, Erving, would be salivating at playing in today's game. They would completely dominate the likes of Lebron and Curry. Those guys would be averaging 50+ points/game. It's not even close. Today's players are SOFT.

Yes it is. You're clueless. It was definitely harder on the players in previous era's. Today, basketball is so soft and weak, it's easy to get 20+ years out of a player. add in load management and you can extend a player 25+ years today. Jordan, Bird, Magic, Chamberlain, Shaq, Erving, would be salivating at playing in today's game. They would completely dominate the likes of Lebron and Curry. Those guys would be averaging 50+ points/game. It's not even close. Today's players are SOFT.
This is such a laughable and moronic and ignorant comment. I'm not even by surprised.

You're either a dope or a douche

STFU 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: notredamerises23
Not true. He had no business being at the level they put him at. Was akin to having young Collinsworth being in the booth calling ND games . Neither were good enough or qualified for their respective levels. Reinsdorf gave Jordan a gimme.
I never said he deserved to be at that level. You can't read

I said what he accomplished at that level after over 13 years of never playing baseball, what he did was impressive

To go over 13 years without picking up a bat and then go to AA and do what he did, even if it wasnt great, was still very impressive. Not many could do that

Embarrassingly out of touch comment. 50+ a game lol. LeBron has played in 21 seasons now—the league he came into is vastly different from the one he plays in now, yet he has managed to be an impact king regardless of the playing styles, teammates, era rules, etc.

Additionally, todays game is the most talented of any as you have players from all over the world playing and filling up roster spots,

Reactions: Golson5
I never said he deserved to be at that level. You can't read

I said what he accomplished at that level after over 13 years of never playing baseball, what he did was impressive

To go over 13 years without picking up a bat and then go to AA and do what he did, even if it wasnt great, was still very impressive. Not many could do that
I could have easily done that. The mere fact that he didn't have to earn a spot and was given a gift was an insult to every minor leaguer busting his hump to get to the show. A 200 average with 3 homeruns. That's not successful for a professional athlete. Jordan I'm sure would agree. If it's not success what is it ?

Definitely in the conversation for sure. He was not an abject failure. What he accomplished in baseball was actually very impressive. He hadnt played in over 13 years

How would those guys do if they took off 13 years in one of those sports? My guess is pretty terrible.

So not a fair argument at all

Absolutely one of the greater athletes of all time
Again, define " athlete " ? I can name lots of performers I consider as better athletes than MJ who accomplished much more.

Again, define " athlete " ? I can name lots of performers I consider as better athletes than MJ who accomplished much more.
Dominance in your sport. Athleticism....speed agility quickness vertical jumping strength endurance etc...

He's one of the greatest

I could have easily done that. The mere fact that he didn't have to earn a spot and was given a gift was an insult to every minor leaguer busting his hump to get to the show. A 200 average with 3 homeruns. That's not successful for a professional athlete. Jordan I'm sure would agree. If it's not success what is it ?
Bullshit you could. You're full of shit. Not a chance you could do what he did at 30 years old after not playing baseball for 13 years.

You'd probably bat about .025 with 0 homeruns if you're lucky

No. But rules have changed over every era. You can watch basketball and it's easy to see skill and talent.

When you watch you can see a players athleticism, ball handling skills, shooting, passing, strength, agility, jumping ability, size, length.

There's only 10 guys on the court in the NBA. It's easy to watch any era and see and evaluate players and get a sense and feel at how good or talented they are

Basketball is a great sport and one I've watched my whole life and I try to be a historian of the sport. I've went back and watched games from every era and love it all

You know there are players that are better on defense than offense (Rodman comes to mind)' the rule change clearly penalized them and cheapens the game.
Great games?
That's debatable
There's only 10 guy's on the court in pee wee league too an I imagine someone could do the same.
I get some like it. My father played in HS and tried to get my brothers and me involved and we each chose wrestling, but that's getting off subject.

You know there are players that are better on defense than offense (Rodman comes to mind)' the rule change clearly penalized them and cheapens the game.
Great games?
That's debatable
There's only 10 guy's on the court in pee wee league too an I imagine someone could do the same.
I get some like it. My father played in HS and tried to get my brothers and me involved and we each chose wrestling, but that's getting off subject.
I didnt say you should or you have to like it or watch it. If you dont like it, it's your prerogative to not watch.

But it's easy to see and evaluate talent in basketball in my opinion. Its the easiest sport to comapare and evaluate

I've watched the old and I've watched the new. I've seen it all

Embarrassingly out of touch comment. 50+ a game lol. LeBron has played in 21 seasons now—the league he came into is vastly different from the one he plays in now, yet he has managed to be an impact king regardless of the playing styles, teammates, era rules, etc.

Additionally, todays game is the most talented of any as you have players from all over the world playing and filling up roster spots,
The rule change benefit LeBron and played to his skill set

I didnt say you should or you have to like it or watch it. If you dont like it, it's your prerogative to not watch.

But it's easy to see and evaluate talent in basketball in my opinion. Its the easiest sport to comapare and evaluate

I've watched the old and I've watched the new. I've seen it all
Your response didn't mention the crux of my post.
The rules change benefited the offense and hand-tied the defense..

Reactions: Pennick4 and NDinNJ
The rule change benefit LeBron and played to his skill set
Which rule change? Take a look at how offense was played in the 1980s and 1990s illegal defense rules did not allow you to play even anything close to a zone. Someone like Dennis Rodman could stand out 30 feet from the basket and his man would have to follow him out there at least past the free-throw line even though he couldn’t shoot at all but the rules dictated you had to do that. This allows players to play one on one without the interference of other defenders when you go to a 4-1 clear out.

If we were talking about handchecking, the effect of it is completely overblown; many of the playoff series from the 80s and 90s are fully on YouTube — people to take a look at those games in randomly select any point, and see if handchecking disrupted offensive actions. I guarantee you that anybody who goes and does a random search will have to stop each video, dozens, and dozens of times before they find anything in which handchecking did anything disruptive. Also, if we were talking about and checking in, people, think it matters, well, LeBron could then head check on defense as well.

This is such a laughable and moronic and ignorant comment. I'm not even by surprised.

You're either a dope or a douche

STFU 🤣🤣🤣
You're a moron. Pat's right about you. You are the biggest douche on this forum. I bet you have ZERO friends and still live with your parents. 😜😂😜😂😜

You clearly are too young or too dumb to understand how different the sport is today compared to 30 years ago.

Now you have me at a disadvantage because I have little interest in the game, but my wife was friends with a cat named Kurt Ramis (sp?) Who I've met a couple times ( tallest cat I ever met), and for her sake I would make the attempt then.
So when I'm around my friends from time to time the NBA would come up and they would bring up the "soft rule" in the NBA, and these are guys like you love the game.
I wish you were there for the counterpoint , but they were in agreement the game is "softener now"

Reactions: NDinNJ
You clearly are too young or too dumb to understand how different the sport is today compared to 30 years ago.
Not too young and a graduate from Notre Dame; all you have is a litany of illiterate posts on this board.

You can watch all of the games yourself today sans any emotional attachment – the skill level, the level of play, and the overall talent are miles and miles ahead today.

I could give a shit where you're a graduate from. That has nothing to do with the conversation which shows your shallowness to believe that mattered at all.
You yourself bring little to the board other than a belief that when I cheer for ND i cheer for you.
I truly hope you go to the TAMU next year so we can meet up and workout our differences.
I think that would be healthy for the both of us

I told you I could careless about the NBA and told you what I heard talking to people that do and your response is to insult.
Well just remember if it wasn't for fans like me you would be even more obscured than you are now.
How do I even know you are a graduate? Shit talkers like you are a dime a dozen
Hope to see you in Texas
This is an incredible amount of unhealthy anger about a post that is not even directed at you. The poster I was responding to was the first to call names i.e., “dumb,” to which I responded. unless of course you were posting under two different handles.

This is an incredible amount of unhealthy anger about a post that is not even directed at you. The poster I was responding to was the first to call names i.e., “dumb,” to which I responded. unless of course you were posting under two different handles.
Clearly this is a case of foot in mouth disease
I still hope to see you in Texas and your tab+1 (dinner and drinks) are on me

Last edited:
Lebron would have been more dominant with the 80's/90'srules than his current era. He would have got to go 1on1 more instead on facing zones, overloads & soft doubles. He would have killed teams in side picknroll. Remember in 80's/90's Defenders had to be with in an arms length of their man and only hard doubles were allowed. Coaches today have way more tools to use to stop a player.

Reactions: notredamerises23
Lebron would have been more dominant with the 80's/90'srules than his current era. He would have got to go 1on1 more instead on facing zones, overloads & soft doubles. He would have killed teams in side picknroll. Remember in 80's/90's Defenders had to be with in an arms length of their man and only hard doubles were allowed. Coaches today have way more tools to use to stop a player.
Easily.

Not too young and a graduate from Notre Dame; all you have is a litany of illiterate posts on this board.

You can watch all of the games yourself today sans any emotional attachment – the skill level, the level of play, and the overall talent are miles and miles ahead today.
And I have friends that graduated from Penn and Princeton, and two of them are book smart. but when it comes to life, they are as dumb as dumb could be.

Honestly, you have your opinion, which is wrong and I have mine, which is correct.

Again not a GOAT debate but year 21 about to turn 39 and Lebron is still a top 10 NBA player. If he can somehow play at this level another 3 years he will be the only athlete in the history of sports to be on 3 all-decade teams. Yeesh

Again not a GOAT debate but year 21 about to turn 39 and Lebron is still a top 10 NBA player. If he can somehow play at this level another 3 years he will be the only athlete in the history of sports to be on 3 all-decade teams. Yeesh
YAWN! Rodman, Lambier, and the bruisers would have shortened King Flopper's career by 7-8 years. The only thing Lebron is the GOAT of is FLOPPING!

Reactions: Pennick4
He is beyond amazing at this point. Truly historic stuff we are seeing.

Never seen it before

No it's not. That is silly troll talk from unlnowledgeable people
This liability has been noted by many of the games legends. When you are as talented as lebron a weakness may not be all that glaring so when analyzing his game the mental side is one of the few things talked about. We can disagree but you are arguing against players who have said this

This liability has been noted by many of the games legends. When you are as talented as lebron a weakness may not be all that glaring so when analyzing his game the mental side is one of the few things talked about. We can disagree but you are arguing against players who have said this
A lot of haters out there. When you win 4 Finals and 4 finals MVPs, you are not mentally weak. That was a very old narrative. About a decade ago or more

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
A lot of haters out there. When you win 4 Finals and 4 finals MVPs, you are not mentally weak. That was a very old narrative. About a decade ago or more
MJ has 5 MVP's, won 6 finals, lost ZERO in 12 seasons in a much tougher era. You're a tool, you don't know sh1t

Reactions: Chitown11
MJ has 5 MVP's, won 6 finals, lost ZERO in 12 seasons in a much tougher era. You're a tool, you don't know sh1t
What did this have to do with Michael Jordan? Are you on MJs d*** so hard that even the talk about Lebron gets your panties in a bunch......

Why didnt you bring up Bill Russell? He has 11 rings and 5 MVPs. That dwarfs MJ....because those numbers are the only one that matters right? So Russell is the GOAT then.

Much tougher era.... lol

Also MJ played 15 seasons, not 12 you idiot. He was my favorite player. You obviously didnt watch him enough

I am sure MJ laughs when he gets compared to Lebron.
He doesn't believe in comparing players from different eras. He said Lebron is the best in this era and he was the best in his era. But he doesn't like the GOAT talk

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT