ADVERTISEMENT

OT College Wrestling

I respect wrestling. I actually like it. Never said I didn't.

Get your facts right.

The part I disagree with is him saying it's a popular sport and the best sport. One is factually incorrect. The other is an opinion that not many agree with

No one, thw public, really cares about wrestling. Its a niche sport
You need to educate yourself and maybe go to a couple to wherebit is popular, and see what you are missing.
I went to the PSU v Nebraska this past Sunday and it was standing room only.
Lehigh University(small university) regularly sells out
Iowa v Iowa St is on youtube.......look at all the public that doesn't care

I've met Dan Gable several times. I went to his wrestling camp while i was in high school He would take the time to speak with anyone......a class act all around
he is still the greatest College Wrestling Coach of all time
Cael will never match his stretch of national titles
AND more to the point he did it back when college wrestling was a much bigger sport.
Last time I looked there is only about half the schools with wrestling programs now as there was then
So its a lot easier to concentrate the talent in one place

Reactions: deadirishpoet
This is true though having watched Cael coach closely he has the same passion which tranfers the wrestlers. He is the closest to DG as anyone I can remember

AND more to the point he did it back when college wrestling was a much bigger sport.
Last time I looked there is only about half the schools with wrestling programs now as there was then
Canadian Lol GIF

After this weekend Dan Gable v. Cael Sanderson will be like. Coke or Pepsi, Michael v Lebron, Gino's versus Pat's, qdoba versus chipotle. They are both so great and made the best of the times they coached in. Iowa was sooo good but PSU is astounding. Nittany Lions heavier weights are absurdly good. Still can't get 125 figured out though.

Reactions: Terry Jillery
I appreciate your passion and respect for Gable. Cael is far from being done. He’s early 40’s.

I appreciate your passion and respect for Gable. Cael is far from being done. He’s early 40’s.
OF course not; but the world of wrestling NOW is much different.
That is why Gables record will always be more worthy of note.
Doing it in an easier time simply is not as good

OF course not; but the world of wrestling NOW is much different.
That is why Gables record will always be more worthy of note.
Doing it in an easier time simply is not as good
It's not and an easier time. Cael is just making it look easy because he is the 🐐

It's not Caels fault Iowa is now a women's basketball school.

The rest of the schools are doing what they always did from a talent standpoint if not moreso with NIL now at play.

Cael is just taking advantage of recruiting the most talent rich state and region in the sport.

Dake and Snyder now wrestle out of NLWC which makes that the defacto Olympic training center.

David Taylor opening the M2 youth training center in State College makes it basically the Wrestling capital of the US.

Cael is going to keep winning until he decides he doesn't want to anymore. If he wants 20 he will get it. He has built the greatest dynasty the sport has seen.

I don't want to compare because they were both sooo elite in their times. But do marvel at how you can win a sport where the total points scored in NCAA's is usually around 90-130 by 100 points. It is pretty close to achieving all that is achievable.
Also how about Andy Bernard's school finishing second!

It's not and an easier time. Cael is just making it look easy because he is the 🐐

It's not Caels fault Iowa is now a women's basketball school.

The rest of the schools are doing what they always did from a talent standpoint if not moreso with NIL now at play.

Cael is just taking advantage of recruiting the most talent rich state and region in the sport.

Dake and Snyder now wrestle out of NLWC which makes that the defacto Olympic training center.

David Taylor opening the M2 youth training center in State College makes it basically the Wrestling capital of the US.

Cael is going to keep winning until he decides he doesn't want to anymore. If he wants 20 he will get it. He has built the greatest dynasty the sport has seen.
yawn.
So now womens sports are what real men make fun of since they no longer can actually go at other men?

I love Cael but I worry that a sport already on the fringe and which has lost too many programs is getting close to being monopolized by one team. The laissez fair portal isn’t helping. Wrestling needs a true rivalry. I’d love to see someone epic and comparable to Cael replace John Smith when he decides to retire. Who that could be I have no clue. If David Taylor or Kyle Dake got into coaching it could happen. Outside of those two, maybe Burroughs at Nebraska. Maybe Cornell could do it under Dake. I’ve given up on Tom Brands ever getting it done. I’d love to see it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT