ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Defense -- perspective from an OSU fan -- for what it is worth

And Farley wasn't drafted
Pride isn't on any roster at present
Love is in fact still playing but not at corner.

I'm in reality borough and you live in fantasy land.

Do you think I like the fact we have nobody playing cornerback in the NFL?
I don't quite understand this theme that if someone points out a fact that isn't very good about something then they must hate the team.

Get better material on the corners (and receiver).....
Coach them better and the rest will take care of itself
14 NFL players in the last decade

Go to YouTube and you'd say our offensive line was even worse. So they must be really bad again this year?

Think not.
Still had a 1000 yard rusher.

Almost 2000 total rushing

3600 passing

Still had a 1000 yard rusher.

Almost 2000 total rushing

3600 passing
You're joking right? That made me laugh

We ranked 83rd in rush ypg as a team...awful

Our 1000 yard rusher ranked 80th in ypc....awful

We gave up 35 sacks last year...which ranked 100th....awful

Lets be fair and honest here. Our OL was worse last year than OSUs defense. By far

So going by last year does nothing for me without context

I’m w/ golson about our o-line not being very good last year but I don’t see a huge gulf between our o-line and Osu’s defense. They gave up 31 to Minnesota, 35 to Oregon, 24 to psu, 31 to Purdue 42 to Michigan & 45 to Utah. They weren’t very good. I’m not saying the new DC can’t turn things around, they very well could turn out to be a good unit, but I don’t think there’s a big gap between our o-line and their defense last year.

I’m w/ golson about our o-line not being very good last year but I don’t see a huge gulf between our o-line and Osu’s defense. They gave up 31 to Minnesota, 35 to Oregon, 24 to psu, 31 to Purdue 42 to Michigan & 45 to Utah. They weren’t very good. I’m not saying the new DC can’t turn things around, they very well could turn out to be a good unit, but I don’t think there’s a big gap between our o-line and their defense last year.
You shouldn't get too caught up on last years defense when almost the entire coaching staff on that side of the ball was wiped and the defense was incredibly young. I mean the defense was 129th out of 130 teams in returning experience entering last season, it was a young group. This year that number is around 40th.

You're joking right? That made me laugh

We ranked 83rd in rush ypg as a team...awful

Our 1000 yard rusher ranked 80th in ypc....awful

We gave up 35 sacks last year...which ranked 100th....awful

Lets be fair and honest here. Our OL was worse last year than OSUs defense. By far

So going by last year does nothing for me without context
#1 I did not mention the OSU defense. I said LBs.

#2 Yup, run game was average-bad. However, still rushed for 2000 yards.

My focus is on the LB

When you evaluate a team week 1, you can absolutely look back at the previous season and see if there are any changes at that position.

You comparing the ND Oline to the OSU LBs is a stretch. But I will play.

The ND Oline has gained muscle and experience across the line. They are bigger and stronger.
Plus Fisher played what 2 games?

The OSU LB starters are the same players with the same bodies. I expect the same results.

Last edited:

My focus is on the LB
ND had like 1865 rushing yards last season over 13 games, that's in the bottom half of CFB.

My focus is on the LB
#1 And just like our OL, who stunk last year, they can improve. I also dont care if the linebackers are bad, its the whole defense we are playing.

#2 we ran for 1869 yards last year. That was good for 83rd yards per game last year. Is there a reason you are throwing out it out there like that is supposed to be a good number? Even 2000 would be bad. 1869 is awful. I'm confused why you are acting like that is good

The OSU LB starters are the same players with the same bodies. I expect the same results
I don't know about that. Steele Chambers converted to LB from running back last year and has a year of experience under his belt. Eichenberg had about 15 tackles in last Utah game. Arizona state transfer Chip Trayanum is switching to LB from running back and is considered an athletic freak and has been playing with the 2s at this point.

I don't know about that. Steele Chambers converted to LB from running back last year and has a year of experience under his belt. Eichenberg had about 15 tackles in last Utah game. Arizona state transfer Chip Trayanum is switching to LB from running back and is considered an athletic freak and has been playing with the 2s at this point.
Don't even bother with that guy, he's a broken record. Has convinced himself with some 2 minute clip of the Michigan game that the linebackers are slow and unathletic and nothing is going to change. If the linebackers look good next week, that poster is going to hear it

You ND people might be interested in commentary on Foskey by Kirk Barton, a former OSU offensive lineman. Beginning at 8:16 he characterizes Foskey as a game wrecker and the best DE that OSU will face this year.

Interestingly, Paris Johnson, OSU's left tackle (who played guard last year) who will probably work against Foskey is characterized as the best offensive tackle in college football by several publications. (Just stumbled on this https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-10-ots-in-the-2023-nfl-draft/) He was a five star recruit, but hard to imagine he is getting so much cred in his first year as a starting left tackle. A battle to watch.

However, you want to characterize them, last year the LBs weren't good.
I don't think it was because they are slow and unathletic. The room is littered with 4* guys. There is not a position group on the team that isn't championship caliber.

Come on, a converted RB? That’s how thin you are at LB.

healthy: who are the best LB group that tOSU can put on the field as starters? what would be a fair talent assessment of that group? Are they so weak that they can be effectively and successfully exploited as a major part of the opponents game plan?

Reactions: Zorich 88
He played linebacker in high school and was recruited by some schools to be a linebacker, it's called being athletic, something you can't understand. He's not a running back that moved to linebacker because we had no guys there to play.

Reactions: Zorich 88
healthy: who are the best LB group that tOSU can put on the field as starters? what would be a fair talent assessment of that group? Are they so weak that they can be effectively and successfully exploited as a major part of the opponents game plan?
Ohio State is deep at linebacker but their two best are Tommy Eichenberg and Steele Chambers, both are 3rd and 4th year guys that got good experience last season. Jim Knowles said he doesn't like to rotate linebackers, so you'll see them for a majority of the game. Eichenberg is the captain and leader of the entire defense, had 17 tackles in the Rose Bowl, and Chambers is the more athletic guy and more of a playmaker. Ohio States base defense is a 4-2-5 but should Notre Dame put more tight ends on the field, you could see Ohio State put another linebacker on the field. Other options are Teradja Mitchell, Cody Simon, Chip Trayanum, and Palaie Gaoteote, and a true freshman in CJ Hicks but he's nowhere near playing significant minutes right now. Lots of talent in the room though, all 4 and 5* guys.

Reactions: tbonesays and d1042
He played linebacker in high school and was recruited by some schools to be a linebacker, it's called being athletic, something you can't understand. He's not a running back that moved to linebacker because we had no guys there to play.
“Something I can’t understand” lol

Wanna race??? Lol

I remember him last year. He was 5th on the team in tackles and played 13 games. Good athlete but he was not anything special.

He was manhandled by Michigan last year. I shared a clip of him vs Michigan. Not good buddy. Now he is your starting WILL.

Every OSU knows what I am say about the LBs is true. Film don’t lie.

You guys are hoping coaching can improve that position. When ND plays OSU, ND will not be playing against one NFL LB.

Now, your freshman LBs, yes, NFL talent.

Wanna race??? Lol

I remember him last year. He was 5th on the team in tackles and played 13 games. Good athlete but he was not anything special.

He was manhandled by Michigan last year. I shared a clip of him vs Michigan. Not good buddy. Now he is your starting WILL.

You guys are hoping coaching can improve that position. When ND plays OSU, ND will not be playing against one NFL LB.

Okay man, keep spewing that crap, you have 7 more days to do so.

Wanna race??? Lol

What did the film last year tell you about Zeke Correll and Josh Lugg.... yikes.

It's called improvement. They are plenty talented at LB.

We're going to have to play excellent to win

What did the film last year tell you about Zeke Correll and Josh Lugg.... yikes.

Excellent? Absolutely. I don’t even expect to win. Expecting Marcus Freeman to win this game is simply not realistic.

I simply hope to win.

That said, the program is on solid ground today, and going forward.

First off I will say that with a new defensive coordinator, no one knows how good or bad OSU defense is. However, one fact is that last year OSU's defense was horrendously coached. In the Oregon game Oregon ran the same sweep twice and scored each time without an OSU player even touching the Oregon runner. It was so bad that the defensive coordinator, Kerry Combs, (a legendary db coach in way over his head as coordinator) was demoted after a several games and Matt Barnes the secondary coach became the defensive play caller and head of the defense. Under Barnes, defense was bad but not completely horrendous. In effect, last year OSU defense did not have a defensive head coach. I think the schemes were so bad they made the players look bad.

Overall, OSU is reasonably talented with three 5 star defensive ends (Tumataloa [sp], Sawyer and Harrison) Harrison is an under-performing senior while the other 2 ends are young and got a fair amount of playing experience for the first time last year. Possible that there may be a large jump in performance from those 2. Veteran linebackers mediocre based on last years performance. Stud corner Denzel Burke in secondary with several young players also making names in fall camp at corner.

I don't think the defensive tackles were as bad as they looked last year because I believe the scheme made them look bad. One interesting player is Tyleik Williams who is big, fast and explosive. He admits he was out of shape last year. With the right attitude and fitness he could be a major, pleasant surprise.

Just my takes on OSU. A lot of respect for Notre Dame.

You shouldn't get too caught up on last years defense when almost the entire coaching staff on that side of the ball was wiped and the defense was incredibly young. I mean the defense was 129th out of 130 teams in returning experience entering last season, it was a young group. This year that number is around 40th.
Likewise don't get too caught up if you blow us out in week 1. Quite a few teams looked to be in the top tier after beating ND only to find out that we had a weak link that would dog us all year.

I will start with your last point.

Yes, ND will have to play excellent to win. But you know what? OSU will likewise have to play just as excellent.

Zeke only started 6 games. Played in probably 3 more. When Zeke was in the game the offense actually looked better. Check the stats of when Zeke played. The offensive production increased.

Lugg- Last year was his first year starting right?

Bottom line, any and all OSU fans know and will admit (if their honest), the LBs are a huge question mark on that defense.

Well, you know, guys... we'll have this all settled soon enough. I've never seen people argue over such irrelevant shit. Like the game is going to be won or lost on this message board or something, if you just make a better case, a better argument....

I'm just worried tOSU's going to be more motivated. Generally speaking when you're a program like that, complacency is always the problem. But there's this feeling tOSU has something to prove this time, and they got their new DC, and they're going to be fired up to silence the naysayers. Even though they are heavily favored....

Whereas ND has been getting nothing but praise and warm fuzzys all offseason on account of the storybook rise to ND football coach of the teen idol sensation Marcus Freeman. So somehow I'm thinking tOSU is going to have more of an edge than us.....

Reactions: BucksLAN
I will start with your last point.

Yes, ND will have to play excellent to win. But you know what? OSU will likewise have to play just as excellent.

Zeke only started 6 games. Played in probably 3 more. When Zeke was in the game the offense actually looked better. Check the stats of when Zeke played. The offensive production increased.

Lugg- Last year was his first year starting right?

Bottom line, any and all OSU fans know and will admit (if their honest), the LBs are a huge question mark on that defense.
Zeke was awful last season. He was better 2 years ago as a center so that's the hope is the return to center will be good for him. Because he was awful last year. The offensive numbers weren't better with him. They were better with Kristofic

Lugg, no it wasn't his first year starting. He started a bunch of games coming into last year.

Yes the LBs are a question mark. But there is no question they are talented

Zeke was awful last season. He was better 2 years ago as a center so that's the hope is the return to center will be good for him. Because he was awful last year. The offensive numbers weren't better with him. They were better with Kristofic

Lugg, no it wasn't his first year starting. He started a bunch of games coming into last year.

The LBs are athletic, well at least 1

Luggs bio doesn’t mention any starts but says he saw PT in 2020.

But either way I like the Oline a lot

Cant suck if 2 are good to elite and the other 3 are average.

Thats not a secondary that sucks. Thats a good secondary.

Is it elite, no. But it definitely hasnt sucked
In big games it's sucked. It's not good enough.

Former Notre Dame coach Urban Meyer :) gives a seminar on run defense and how Michigan ran over Ohio State last year. Says that Notre Dame will start off running and OSU will have to prove it can stop the run.

He was recruited as a Linebacker with the agreement that if he couldn't crack the starting lineup that he would move to LB. Most other schools were recruiting him as a linebacker. THen there is the fact that he played exceptionally well against the Irish so there is that....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT