ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame Football is reported to be focusing on Utah’s Andy Ludwig for offensive coordinator

Not sure what kind of recruiter Ludwig is.
He was a good enough play caller and recruiter at Utah for this 👇👇👇👇👇
25 comments and 1,000 views and yet 0 conversation about this coach's potential as a recruiter at Notre Dame. Smh

Are we Alabama now (stacked with top five prospects at every position) and all we need is a X's and O's coach to get us over the hump?

Ludwig has no charisma very few high-end prospects that he's responsible for recruiting if any.

Has never recruited five star athletes at a major power five institution versus other major power 5 institutions and there's zero on his resume or in his skill set that shows that he can

Why in the world is this man being considered for the second most important position in the organization at ND?

The guy looks like he has zero ability to relate/connect with 18 year olds.

How does this coach move the needle on the talent procuring side of the equation?
You mean like all the 5 star offensive players Brian Kelly brought in?

I'm absolutely positively willing to take my chances with Ludwig.

We need to work this backwards.
In other words play exciting up tempo type of offense...
In other words fun...
Kids will come.

You want to bring in elite talent and hope they want to play in a zombie fear of failure system and just prevail via star rankings.

I'd bet you right now my way will get us over the hump quicker. Much quicker.

Play exciting, play fun.
Notre Dame our mother will take care of the rest. (And Freeman)

BTW...

Every top program's best recruiter is the HC. Ultimately the HC closes the deal on a 5 star or loses the deal on the 5 star on about 98.8% of top talent.

Not really. :)

Of course, but that doesn't change anything that I've said. This just dives into speculations as to why Freeman might have kept Rees on without really wanting him.

It's possible that Freeman suggested that Rees needed to start looking for another job. But it seems unlikely to me. I have the feeling that Rees is about to turn a corner this year and put it all together.

Seems to me that out of Braylon James, Jaden Greathouse, Rico Flores and the two Kaleb Smiths we ought to find some decent perimeter playmaking ability.

Seems to me also that Sam Hartman at least resembles a high-quality QB.
Your complete post is speculation and you cherry pick one player who's yet to take one official snap for the Irish.

You have 13 years...really the last 8 of which the offense was terrified of failure.
Not opinion. Fact.

One QB in Hartman shows up at the 11th hour and now you want to have a Fiesta kissing the ass of that old regime...

The get close if lucky but never via greatness regime.

Good riddance

Seems to me that out of Braylon James, Jaden Greathouse, Rico Flores and the two Kaleb Smiths we ought to find some decent perimeter playmaking ability.

Seems to me also that Sam Hartman at least resembles a high-quality QB.

Hartman is a solid piece in an offense full of solid pieces; but that is the problem though; solid pieces don't win national titles; elite prospects that turn into elite players do.

Everybody you named are solid/good pieces but that isn't enough when the gatekeepers to national titles are recruiting 2-3 deep 4 & 5 star players at those positions, and ND can only pull 3 & 4 star talent.

Notre Dame has a major talent problem outside of O-line and regardless of how much data is out there that supports this, ND fans refuse to see it.

Hartman is a solid piece in an offense full of solid pieces; but that is the problem though; solid pieces don't win national titles; elite prospects that turn into elite players do.

Everybody you named are solid/good pieces but that isn't enough when the gatekeepers to national titles are recruiting 2-3 deep 4 & 5 star players at those positions, and ND can only pull 3 & 4 star talent.

Notre Dame has a major talent problem outside of O-line and regardless of how much data is out there that supports this, ND fans refuse to see it.
ITs comforting to know that you can count on some things no matter what

Chaseball to be wrong is one of my favorites

Reactions: francade
Exactly. Where a lot of the money comes from. I remember they had BKs salary at 1.25 million or something low like that and he was making over 5.

So you don't know the coaches salary because a lot of it is not reported
This is totally inaccurate. The salary is 100% in the tax filings. The amounts that come from outside sources are not considered salary, usually they are incentives or tied to appearance or likeness deals...this income is not salary.

The total compensation might not be evident in the tax filings if income is paid by another source. That is not part of his Notre dame salary.

Some of the best NFL talent is 2-3-4 star college players. Some kids can develop as five stars at their colleges. Analysts for all these sites aren't the end all be all of evaluation. Bama has had their share of five stars not living up to potential just as others have. I trust Freeman and coaches to get ND there and develop too.

For those that know, like actually know the answer, not sJust their opinion…. How common is it to land an OC after having an interview for a job and then hear just crickets afterwards as he goes home? Before you say relax it was Friday, I’m not asking about that, just wondering if it’s common to make the decision immediately or common to wait a few days.

Reactions: chaseball
Some of the best NFL talent is 2-3-4 star college players. Some kids can develop as five stars at their colleges. Analysts for all these sites aren't the end all be all of evaluation. Bama has had their share of five stars not living up to potential just as others have. I trust Freeman and coaches to get ND there and develop too.

How dare you. I’d take Dayne Crist tonight over Mahomes bc Mahomes was a pos 3 star and Dayne was a blue chipper.

• Haha
Reactions: Tru2Irish

Fsu did it. Clemson did it.

You refuse to see it

For those that know, like actually know the answer, not sJust their opinion…. How common is it to land an OC after having an interview for a job and then hear just crickets afterwards as he goes home? Before you say relax it was Friday, I’m not asking about that, just wondering if it’s common to make the decision immediately or common to wait a few days.
When you consider the Notre Dame Admin vetting process, common.

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
This is totally inaccurate. The salary is 100% in the tax filings. The amounts that come from outside sources are not considered salary, usually they are incentives or tied to appearance or likeness deals...this income is not salary.

The total compensation might not be evident in the tax filings if income is paid by another source. That is not part of his Notre dame salary.
No shit.

Its not "part" of it but it's part of it.

No chance Kelly is working for 1 or 2 million

That extra money is expected and a given

Its arguing over semantics

Obviously.

Theres 32 five stars a year. Over 400 4 stars. And over a 1000 3 stars

The percentage hit rate is highest at 5 then 4 then 3 and so on

I'm not into spin. I just do my best to get at the truth. So I don't want to think about it that way because it doesn't seem like the truth.

As for the rest, I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not, and I can't tell whether you're stating your own views or the views of someone you disagree with. So I have no further response.
Well if you all care about is the truth, even over something as trivial as this, then I guess you're the better man. That's certainly a bold statement to make about yourself, extremely bold. I mean I did call you tendentious, so I must have been wrong about that.

I'm certainly not so magnanimous as all that, and I'll never forgive ND fans for all the BK hating and persecutions. And now any time some airy ND fan gets even a little smug, I'm liable to push back hard on it. Besides, everything I suggested could well have happened, even though it would make ND look bad, sort of, and you don't seem to like it none too much. But you say you're only interested in truth, and you hate 'spin', and so maybe I'm just the schmuck....

This hire is truly the most important of his coaching career. Tommy Rees ties to Brian Kelly was a built-in excuse for taking an 11-win regular season team and turning it into an 8 win regular season. In the process managing to lose to 3 unranked opponents and USC. All things that had not been done since 2016

The QB room was a mess (ND was 40-6 the previous 4 seasons)
The WR room was a mess (ND was 40-6 the previous 4 seasons)
Tommy Rees sucks (ND was 40-6 the previous 4 seasons)

Well, we are all out of excuses, and this is officially Freeman's program. No Brian Kelly, No Jeff Quinn, No Del Alexander and now No Tommy Rees.

It is put up or shut up time next year. MF was brought here not to maintain 10-11 wins and be in CFP contention. That wasn't good enough for the "Fanbase". So next year better not have losses to unranked teams and 2nd tier bowl games on the itinerary.
It really is. This is THE hire. It couldn't be any more crucial. MF had the luxury of TR's presence, as almost sort of an interim season of sorts, where the whole team/program was still riding the momentum and the inertia of the fantastic program BK had left behind. And after the first two three weeks it looked like MF was going to squander all of it, and everything he inherited from BK almost overnight. He managed to pull things back and the team looked pretty good if not all that consistent for the rest of the season, and he's managed to keep the wolves at bay.

And now BK's highly reliable and effective offense is gone. So he simply has to crush it with this hire....

Last edited:
Ludwig would be a good hire, but I don't think it's guaranteed that we land him. He's a Utah native and has spent most of his career out West. Will he want to relocate to South Bend at his age? Not sure. And he coaches for a pretty good team already. We should find out his answer soon, though.

Ludwig would be a good hire, but I don't think it's guaranteed that we land him. He's a Utah native and has spent most of his career out West. Will he want to relocate to South Bend at his age? Not sure. And he coaches for a pretty good team already. We should find out his answer soon, though.
Andy Ludwig has been an OC at Vanderbilt and Wisconsin, two of the eight schools he has been an OC in his 25 consecutive seasons as an OC. Of course it isn't guaranteed......nothing is in the big business of CFB; however, I believe Notre Dame has a good shot landing Ludwig.

Reactions: Kelso86
IRS FORM 990 DOES NOT REQUIRE ND TO REPORT ANY COMPENSATION PAID BY A SOURCE OTHER THAN ND.
IRS form 990 also does not require ND to report any compensation paid by itself to an LLC owned by a coach, either. Do you have information on those LLC payments, or are you just blowing hot air as usual?

You guys are beyond obtuse !

Every penny of the coaches salary is reported by ND on IRS Form 990
Not obtuse enough to miss that you were talking about compensation, and now you're talking about salary. Nice try, though.

Well if you all care about is the truth,
I did not say that all I cared about is truth. I do my best to care about nothing else, but that is not to say that I always succeed.
even over something as trivial as this,
Truth is real; illusion is not real. Therefore one illusion cannot be more real than another, and therefore, since nothing unreal exists, one illusion cannot be more trivial than another. Therefore, the truth that nullifies an illusion cannot be more or less trivial than another truth.

What is, is. What isn't, isn't. There is no hierarchy in this.
then I guess you're the better man.
No man is better than another in terms of true selves. Therefore, taking the perception that one man is better than another is a way of interfering with the remembrance of the true self. I do my best not to do that; I'm tired of the misery it causes.

So I will not agree with you here.

Last edited:
IRS form 990 also does not require ND to report any compensation paid by itself to an LLC owned by a coach, either. Do you have information on those LLC payments, or are you just blowing hot air as usual?
“Blowing hot air”, like exposing you as an ignorant, arrogant douche when you claimed that I wasn’t in possession of the salary structure and you were totally unaware that the salary information was public knowledge and published by ND in IRS Form 990

You’re wrong again !

The LLC payments are accounted for in Form 990, you’re just too stupid to know where to find them.

Not obtuse enough to miss that you were talking about compensation, and now you're talking about salary. Nice try, though.
You’re a liar and a fraud, THE question was about the salary structure and those are the words you used when you challenged me. I responded by saying that I was aware of the salary structure.

Only an ignorant, arrogant whining ass would try to weasel out of being embarrassed by trying to change “salary” to “compensation”

Now I can understand why, even though your father was a professor at Notre Dame, you weren’t admitted to Notre Dame !

Bob,

Here’s my previous reply to your challenge.
Note the words, “Salary Structure”
”Compensation” was not the issue.
‘You are intellectually DISHONEST !

You’re wrong again, I do know what the salary structure is from several sources.

And one of them is public information, you tool

Now go back to licking your wounds !

Form 990 does require ND to report compensation paid by ND to an LLC owned by a coach.

Stop lying and stop making an ignorant fool of yourself.

I did not say that all I cared about is truth. I do my best to care about nothing else, but that is not to say that I always succeed.

Truth is real; illusion is not real. Therefore one illusion cannot be more real than another, and therefore, since nothing unreal exists, one illusion cannot be more trivial than another. Therefore, the truth that nullifies an illusion cannot be more or less trivial than another truth.

No man is better than another in terms of true selves. Therefore, taking the perception that one man is better than another is a way of interfering with the remembrance of the true self. I do my best not to do that; I'm tired of the misery it causes.

I have never used the ignore feature. Never will. 4-4-3, Savvy, and this clown Patrirish, would be the first three if I did so.

You imply that your conclusion is based on a mess of data that supports it. Would you mind sharing some of it? I'm not drawing the same conclusion, and as far as I know I'm looking at the same data.

From what I see, we do need more talent, but I also think that we are capable of winning a national championship with what we have, and certainly winning a semifinal. Here's one bit of data that supports this.

Last year, we had one five-star, 14 four-stars and seven three-stars in the number-one positions on our roster. (Two of those three-stars, by the way, were on the O-line.) In comparison, Clemson's team that narrowly lost the final to Alabama in 2015 had one five-star, 13 four-stars, seven three-stars and a two-star. That suggests to me that we are no further away than Clemson was in 2015.

Let me guess: you listened to a lot of Pink Floyd when you were young.

Led Zeppelin for me, and frankly, never stopped. My cellular phone case is a picture of the four members in front of their airplane.

I saw Led Zeppelin play in the Chicago Ampitheatre in the early 70s. My ears rang for 3 days after the concert. There is loud, and then there is Led Zeppelin loud.

Must you break up your quote of my post like this? Like you're dissecting individual sentences, or even mere phrases, point by point? That sort of fussy presentation or what have you, doesn't particularly mark you out as some sort of truth-speaker. More like a troll. Or maybe you're like, slumming it on this lowly free message board. And you don't deign to talk serious about, whatever it might be, not with this rabble leastwise. That could be it.

In any case, I don't know wtf to even say to any of this. This is some pretty sorry-ass pseudo-profound gibberish to even try to joke around with. Or indeed, just trolling. Which is fine, it's a pretty stupid thing to argue about, so you're entitled. Whether or not three leading figures in ND's football universe acted in an undignified or groveling way in the aftermath of BK's departure, with some evidence to suggest they did. So if you want to be a dipshit instead, I can't really say much about it....

Form 990 does require ND to report compensation paid by ND to an LLC owned by a coach.
Where's your source, please? Oh, you don't have one. Who needs those, after all?

FWIW, here's mine: Notre Dame 2019 Form 990.

In particular, Schedule O (near the bottom), return reference "Form 990, Part VII, Section A Highest Compensated Employees," says "During calendar year 2019, the University made payments to an LLC owned by the Head Football Coach, which are not reportable compensation for purposes of Form 990. Therefore, the payments are excluded from Form 990 Part VII and Schedule J, Part II."

So, you are wrong. QED.
Stop lying and stop making an ignorant fool of yourself.
Take your own advice, maybe.

Last edited:
Must you break up your quote of my post like this? Like you're dissecting individual sentences, or even mere phrases, point by point? That sort of fussy presentation or what have you, doesn't particularly mark you out as some sort of truth-speaker.
I don't do it to mark myself out as anything at all. I do it to help myself organize my thoughts. Also, I do it to avoid copying irrelevant rambling. (Not saying you're doing that, of course. :p)
In any case, I don't know wtf to even say to any of this.
Then quit talking.
This is some pretty sorry-ass pseudo-profound gibberish to even try to joke around with.
I'm not joking.
Or indeed, just trolling.
It isn't my purpose to get a rise out of anyone. If you want to create negative fantasies about my intentions to talk yourself into a sense of moral superiority, that's up to you. I've done a ton of that myself, too, but it has never brought me any joy.
Which is fine, it's a pretty stupid thing to argue about, so you're entitled. Whether or not three leading figures in ND's football universe acted in an undignified or groveling way in the aftermath of BK's departure, with some evidence to suggest they did. So if you want to be a dipshit instead, I can't really say much about it....
Oh, you do know wtf to even say to any of this. Make up your bloomin mind, willya? :)

Let me guess: you listened to a lot of Pink Floyd when you were young.
You guess right! Well done, sir or madam, well done indeed. I'm a huge fan. Pink Floyd, Yes (when Rick Wakeman was still with them), Jethro Tull, ELP and Frank Zappa [edit: and Led Zeppelin] were my big five six.

Still, I'm more of a classical fan. :)

Last edited:
You have 13 years...really the last 8 of which the offense was terrified of failure.
Not opinion. Fact.
There's not much I can say to someone who won't accept that assessments of emotional states are subjective.

Bob,

Here’s my previous reply to your challenge.
Note the words, “Salary Structure”
”Compensation” was not the issue.
All right. I went back and looked, and you said this: "One of the problems with finding a terrific OC is the existing salary structure at ND and the compensation paid to NFL OC’s." I forgot down the line that you said "salary" about ND coaches and "compensation" about NFL OCs. Anything I derived from that mistake I take back with apologies.

Nevertheless, if money is a problem with finding a terrific OC, then one may assume that not just salary, but total money paid, is the problem. Therefore, salary structure isn't the problem, because it isn't the total compensation. And we don't know what the total compensation is, so we don't know whether there really is a problem.
‘You are intellectually DISHONEST !
I'll go with intellectually careless here. But it was an honest mistake.

Last edited:
No shit.

Its not "part" of it but it's part of it.

No chance Kelly is working for 1 or 2 million

That extra money is expected and a given

Its arguing over semantics
No it's not. Salary is what you are paid by your employer out of their budget. It is a part of total compensation.

It's not semantics. One is public record, the other is not. Details matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT