ADVERTISEMENT

New OL coach

Yes, I think you are. Though this is old news, the media covering ND even made a stink about it at the time. BK cannot be happy about the change in scheduling for no apparent reason. His job is hard enough without his own AD getting involved and making it that much more difficult. All the travel at the bottom end of the schedule was the big issue. Taking away a home game and shipping it out to NY against a less than exciting opponent was another issue. Just a puzzling move on Jack's part. They could have worn their fancy pants shamrock uniforms at the final home game if it's that important.
i think its much ado about nothing. never going to please everyone. yawn.

I never said any of those things. I literally only said you cannot judge his ability as a coach by how Travis Kelce developed in the pros. So please don't lump me in with all the doomsday predictors who post any negative situation as evidence of JS/BK conspiracy or incompetence. Or the other half of the posters who instantly post sunshine to refute the doomsday posters.

But since you asked I will tell you why I don't like the hire. Not to the "next BVG" level, but don't like it overall. Since his arrival Kelly has done some things that show why he was such a successful coach. But he has had 2 fatal flaws that have held the program back. The first is the ability (or lack thereof) to develop a quarterback. The second is his stubborn refusal to grow beyond what had made him successful in the past and adjust to the highest level of college football. And this hire feels like the second. My hesitance is only partially what I've heard about Quinn. He has a mixed bag on his resume and commentary. But Kelly had three highly qualified individuals that smart money said would be better than Quinn. And if he hired one of them he would still have Quinn. As an offensive analyst. This move was Kelly stepping into a pattern that has caused big setbacks in the program in the past. Doesn't mean it will this time, or that hiring one of the other guys would have been golden, but it wasn't the move of a championship caliber coach.
who determined the other three would be better than quinn ? thats nothing more than speculation. the bvg comparisons are idiotic to me. kelly and quinn have a track record of success together, the returning players endorsed the move. whats not to like ?

Reactions: jcswoopnh
nd has more total staff than michigan, auburn and others. nd has 19 support staff. alabama has 20. how many is enough ?
I didn't check the others but Bama has 29 coaches, Assistant AD for Football communications, 5 S&C coaches and and assistant AD for Football video. I'd wager if I went and looked at UM, OSU, Clemson, USC etc.. I'd find similar numbers.

http://rolltide.com/staff.aspx

I didn't check the others but Bama has 29 coaches, Assistant AD for Football communications, 5 S&C coaches and and assistant AD for Football video. I'd wager if I went and looked at UM, OSU, Clemson, USC etc.. I'd find similar numbers.

Uh, the site you listed accurately shows Alabama with 11 members of the football coaching staff . My numbers were from CBS sports and reflected those that are football support staff at the schools mentioned.

Notre Dame lists 11 coaches just like Alabama. Notre Dame lists 4 grad assistants and 4 football analysts. Alabama lists 6 football analysts and no grad assistants that I could see.

There is a lot of hand wringing about this hire that seems short cited. Here is what I have been able to gather from the various boards that suggest Quinn is a good hire.

1. Dan Quinn was probably the most coveted BK assistant when BK was hired. Now he is the villain. I think this is the BVG effect.

2. HH was vilified by ND boards when he was hired as a washed out retread disliked substantially by his prior school's fanbase. Now he we have cannonized him.

3. Quinn knows the players, BK and Long. He was an experienced OC. He has coached Olmen for over 20 years with BK successfully. He was our offensive analyst for film and scheme.

4. He had opps to leave ND for OL jobs at lesser schools but apparently stayed because he really likes ND, a school whose fans just demand its coaches see us as the pinnacle destination.

5. Two players, Bars and Mustipher were involved in evaluating him. His old player Sean Mele who worked at ISD, praised him.

6. He has coached 22 All American OLmen in the various divisions he has worked in.

BK engaged in a youth movement last year. This year he brought in a seasoned pro to work with Long on play calling and scheme. This does not strike me as a sky is falling hire. I think the BVG effect is coloring people's assessment negative because BVG was truly the wrong fit.

I wanted Frye but I suspect Quinn and his experience might be better for the youngster Long

There is a lot of hand wringing about this hire that seems short cited. Here is what I have been able to gather from the various boards that suggest Quinn is a good hire.

1. Dan Quinn was probably the most coveted BK assistant when BK was hired. Now he is the villain. I think this is the BVG effect.

2. HH was vilified by ND boards when he was hired as a washed out retread disliked substantially by his prior school's fanbase. Now he we have cannonized him.

3. Quinn knows the players, BK and Long. He was an experienced OC. He has coached Olmen for over 20 years with BK successfully. He was our offensive analyst for film and scheme.

4. He had opps to leave ND for OL jobs at lesser schools but apparently stayed because he really likes ND, a school whose fans just demand its coaches see us as the pinnacle destination.

5. Two players, Bars and Mustipher were involved in evaluating him. His old player Sean Mele who worked at ISD, praised him.

6. He has coached 22 All American OLmen in the various divisions he has worked in.

BK engaged in a youth movement last year. This year he brought in a seasoned pro to work with Long on play calling and scheme. This does not strike me as a sky is falling hire. I think the BVG effect is coloring people's assessment negative because BVG was truly the wrong fit.

I wanted Frye but I suspect Quinn and his experience might be better for the youngster Long

Well. He is the OC. If he is a bad choice there is no place to hid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT