ADVERTISEMENT

New OL coach

I know very little about Jeff Quinn. Why do some feel this is a disaster or not a great choice?

I’m not going to load this with long narrative, but there were 4 candidates.

Three of them are considered “great” OL coaches with really good track records.
One (Quinn) is just an in-house guy who was considered a flop in the past & the opposite of HH in style.
Basically all the analysts said they would be thrilled with any of the three & would be shocked & very, very upset if Quinn was hired.

Also, not a good recruiter. He doesn’t gel with recruits well at all.

Brutal. I hope he does well and can recruit but it says a lot that ND could not or would not attract someone new and talented to the position.

Brutal. I hope he does well and can recruit but it says a lot that ND could not or would not attract someone new and talented to the position.

All three of the other candidates wanted the job. And all three were considered HR hires for quality.

All three of the other candidates wanted the job. And all three were considered HR hires for quality.
So you're for sure that Quinn was the choice? I was just thinking how the only way I'd be OK with this is if the other guys couldn't be pryed away and it was Quinn or a second round of interviews...

Who were the other candidates?

Frye - young, great recruiter & coached very good OLines at schools with less talent like BC.
Gilbert - NFL & college OL coaching experience. Up & comer.
Bostad - Wisconsin coach & NFL coach. Coached very good Wisc lines with less talent than ND.

Quinn- friend of Kelly who has coached with him for 20 years. More of a finesse guy, not a hammer like HH was. Considered the worst recruiter on ND’s staff. Zero personality.

Now that its happened it's not too shocking. ND spent a lot of money last year revamping it's coaching positions and I don't think they want to expose themselves to anymore risk than they need to. If anyone is objective at all they have to realize it's far more likely that ND wins 7-9 games next year than they win 10+... Its been 30 years since ND had back-to-back 10 win seasons. Kelly's seat may not be as hot but it's still warm and ND wants to pay out as little as possible should that scenario arrive.

Promote Lea, promote Quinn and you limit your exposure.

So you're for sure that Quinn was the choice? I was just thinking how the only way I'd be OK with this is if the other guys couldn't be pryed away and it was Quinn or a second round of interviews...

Someone asked that question & it was passed along that Kelly CHOSE Quinn, it’s who he wanted. And Long (who coached in the past with Gilbert) had no say in it.

Joe Wickline - West Virginia Offensive Line
Rick Trickett - Former Florida State Offensive Line
Brian Ferentz - Iowa Offensive Coordinato
Tom Manning - Iowa State Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line

we’re a few other names at one point

Now that its happened it's not too shocking. ND spent a lot of money last year revamping it's coaching positions and I don't think they want to expose themselves to anymore risk than they need to. If anyone is objective at all they have to realize it's far more likely that ND wins 7-9 games next year than they win 10+... Its been 30 years since ND had back-to-back 10 win seasons. Kelly's seat may not be as hot but it's still warm and ND wants to pay out as little as possible should that scenario arrive.

Lea was a no brainer. He is considered an Elko in the making. He is young, great recruiter, & very well respected as a defensive mind.
Quinn, not so much...

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Joe Wickline - West Virginia Offensive Line
Rick Trickett - Former Florida State Offensive Line
Brian Ferentz - Iowa Offensive Coordinato
Tom Manning - Iowa State Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line

we’re a few other names at one point

None of them were interviewed.

Two of the four were never leaving their current positions anyways.

Money, within reason, is not a factor in these decisions. Swarbrick has made that very clear.

Interviewed the BC guy and Wisconsin guy and end up with Quinn. This absolutely sucks. What's his track record for sending guys to the Sunday league? Good luck with that sales pitch. I can't believe they couldn't get one of those guys.

Let's see Kelly's former assistants at Grand Valley State:

Mike Dembrock -- bolted
Keith Gilmore -- total disappointment
Brian VanGorder -- total disaster

Why did Kelly go back to his old way of thinking, rather than what he did last year with such great success (go outside his comfort zone)

Interviewed the BC guy and Wisconsin guy and end up with Quinn. This absolutely sucks. What's his track record for sending guys to the Sunday league? Good luck with that sales pitch. I can't believe they couldn't get one of those guys.

Kelce and Staley are two that were named in the article. So a lot of doom and gloom over this hire. But as I read one of the articles, it said that one or more of the candidates interviewed also met with the current Irish linemen. With BK's revamped approach of being very much in tune with his players, it is very possible the team (specifically the linemen) wanted continuity and were good with Quinn being named. I'm pretty sure BK wouldn't risk pissing off his primary strength over this. No idea if this is a possibility/reality or not, just offering it up.

Reactions: SF Irish
Quinn was probably the least desirable of the 4 candidates and I’m a little bummed we couldn’t nab one of those guys. BUT the railing on this guy is overblown imo. Guy was slowly building a nice thing at a mostly moribund Buffalo program, improved every year there and In year 4 he pulled an 8-4 season together. He was fired midseason a year later at 3-4, I guess buffalo had raised its own expectations but I for one don’t think he did a bad job there given the history of that program.

People forget he was the OC and oline coach at cincy with bk and look at his results there. People were bummed he didn’t come over in bk yr 1 and 2 as many felt Quinn was the reason bks offenses worked at cincy.

As for recruiting he’s a little bland is the word. I think the one thing we’ve learned is ND will mostly be fine at this spot. HH wasn’t a high effort or dynamic personality guy either.

Jeff Quinn Named Notre Dame Offensive Line Coach
Quinn has coached 12 offensive lineman who have played in the NFL and 22 who have earned All-America honors

It’s not so much about Quinn being bad as much as it is passing over others who are really good.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
With the Bears rumor, and the 'looking for a way out' line, I really think Kelly is done at ND after this year. It will be nine years after 2018 -- the most since Holtz and Ara (11). I could see him taking a year or two off and then coming back to coach a Pac 12 team -- he'd be great out here.

With the Bears rumor, and the 'looking for a way out' line, I really think Kelly is done at ND after this year. It will be nine years after 2018 -- the most since Holtz and Ara (11). I could see him taking a year or two off and then coming back to coach a Pac 12 team -- he'd be great out here.

The Bears rumor is just that.
And the looking for a way out is a made up line from a poster on a free message board.

If Kelly was looking to leave he would want to win as much as he could to bolster his resume.

The Bears rumor appears to be total BS.

The Bears rumor is just that.
And the looking for a way out is a made up line from a poster on a free message board.

If Kelly was looking to leave he would want to win as much as he could to bolster his resume.

Good point. This job just chews guys up, though, don't you agree? Kelly did an amazing job this year and won a bowl game only to have his two most successful coaches leave and his best receiver and three other guys thrown off of the team. I'm not blaming Kelly, just saying, jeesh, guy can't get a break!

Hey, if Kelly and Long and Quinn go out and get Petit Frere and close on Patterson then we'll be back in business! And I'll be happy to eat some crow.

Reactions: iwish
Good point. This job just chews guys up, though, don't you agree? Kelly did an amazing job this year and won a bowl game only to have his two most successful coaches leave and his best receiver and three other guys thrown off of the team. I'm not blaming Kelly, just saying, jeesh, guy can't get a break!

Hey, if Kelly and Long and Quinn go out and get Petit Frere and close on Patterson then we'll be back in business! And I'll be happy to eat some crow.
I guess we'd better hope NPF doesn't read our Rivals board.

I think at this point ND is not getting NPF, not because of Quinn, more of HH being gone.
NPF has 5 major programs all at the top of his list. A month ago two different mods (one analyst & one recruiting) both said that ND was in very good shape with NPF.
Then HH left. Now everybody believes it will be Florida or Bama, with Florida the leader. It seems HH was our ace in the hole with a NPF.

I'm not surprised that Kelly went after his old warhorse and right hand man. He didn't put Quinn on salary just to give him a check. I did notice one thing about Quinn's OL at Cincinnati-they knocked the defenders off the line of scrimmage with regularity.

Quinn was probably the least desirable of the 4 candidates and I’m a little bummed we couldn’t nab one of those guys. BUT the railing on this guy is overblown imo. Guy was slowly building a nice thing at a mostly moribund Buffalo program, improved every year there and In year 4 he pulled an 8-4 season together. He was fired midseason a year later at 3-4, I guess buffalo had raised its own expectations but I for one don’t think he did a bad job there given the history of that program.

People forget he was the OC and oline coach at cincy with bk and look at his results there. People were bummed he didn’t come over in bk yr 1 and 2 as many felt Quinn was the reason bks offenses worked at cincy.

As for recruiting he’s a little bland is the word. I think the one thing we’ve learned is ND will mostly be fine at this spot. HH wasn’t a high effort or dynamic personality guy either.

He was responsible for the offensive game plan at Cincinnati and the coach most of us were bummed out about when he didn’t follow BK to ND.

ND is oline U... on my list of worries, landing 4 Star olineman is way down toward the bottom.

He was responsible for the offensive game plan at Cincinnati and the coach most of us were bummed out about when he didn’t follow BK to ND.

ND is oline U... on my list of worries, landing 4 Star olineman is way down toward the bottom.

Heck, then why did they even consider those other guys? Lucky for ND Harry H got another job so Quinn could take over.

ND still has plenty of money, they just choose not to spend it or in other words not compete with the big boys anymore. We will 8 to 9 games next year and get spanked by any good team.

ND still has plenty of money, they just choose not to spend it or in other words not compete with the big boys anymore. We will win 8 to 9 games next year and get spanked by any good team.

If Jaylon Smith makes 20 pro bowls it will be on BVGs resume too...

Yeah, but Jalon Smith was an incredible 5 star recruit and one of the top linebacker recruits in the country when he stepped foot on campus.

Kelce was a walk-on and wasn't even an offensive lineman when he showed up at Cincinnati. Whether its Quinn or someone else, it seems like somebody derserves some credit for recognizing and developing his potential.

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT