ADVERTISEMENT

New Justin Scott Thread

IrishBeer

Posts Like A Champion
Dec 6, 2021
Hopefully sjb won’t get this one shut down.

Visiting for Ohio State game?

IB mentioned if they can’t get him to come in June sometime this one is likely donezo.

jmo
i think, based only upon posts, that this kid hopes ND can compete in the (NIL) bidding, if so ‘close enough’ will land the kid for ND

Reactions: bcnd
jmo
i think, based only upon posts, that this kid hopes ND can compete in the (NIL) bidding, if so ‘close enough’ will land the kid for ND
He should understand that ND has one of the highest potential for NIL, just not upfront cash. I imagine Hartman will get filthy rich being QB1.

I noticed Freeman is in Chicago today throwing the pitch for the White Sox. Wonder if Scott is a Sox fan. He sure is enjoying himself this summer.

Other thread got shut down but I'll put this here.

Get Nasty is wrong about the DL class last year and wrong about Washington's recruiting compared to Elston

The DL class last year was very strong and so is this year's. Washington is recruiting better than Elston did. By far

Get Nasty is wrong about the DL class last year and wrong about Washington's recruiting compared to Elston

The DL class last year was very strong and so is this year's. Washington is recruiting better than Elston did. By far
Agree.

Reactions: Kelso86

I don’t understand the AW criticism but is a bit too early to make that call? Elston was at ND for 10+ years and landed Okwara brothers, Kareem, Hayes, Tillery?, Foskey, Mills, Bothelo, Nana, Cross, Ademolia’s, Amosa, Issac Rochell, Sheldon Day, and many others including the epic 2011 class of Tuitt, Ishaq, Lynch . I liked AW’s first class but a bit too premature.

I don’t understand the AW criticism but is a bit too early to make that call? Elston was at ND for 10+ years and landed Okwara brothers, Kareem, Hayes, Tillery?, Foskey, Mills, Bothelo, Nana, Cross, Ademolia’s, Amosa, Issac Rochell, Sheldon Day, and many others. I liked AW’s first class but a bit too premature.
It’s becoming an OL coach issue. AW got 4. If he gets one of Scott or Rushing it’s a great class.

I’m not sure if our new OL coach is even recruiting.

Reactions: eshupe
It’s becoming an OL coach issue. AW got 4. If he gets one of Scott or Rushing it’s a great class.

Just saying we have a 1 year sample size of AW recruiting, with a strong class, not elite. Way too early

I don’t understand the AW criticism but is a bit too early to make that call? Elston was at ND for 10+ years and landed Okwara brothers, Kareem, Hayes, Tillery?, Foskey, Mills, Bothelo, Nana, Cross, Ademolia’s, Amosa, Issac Rochell, Sheldon Day, and many others including the epic 2011 class of Tuitt, Ishaq, Lynch . I liked AW’s first class but a bit too premature.
Only basing it off recruiting rankings. But Elston was a very good developer. In terms of recruiting using the "star system" he was just average.

In his last 5 years as DL coach he landed only 9 four star players. Thats very average

Only basing it off recruiting rankings. But Elston was a very good developer. In terms of recruiting using the "star system" he was just average.

In his last 5 years as DL coach he landed only 9 four star players. Thats very average
Well you’re basing 1 year of recruiting rankings vs a hand picked 5 years of Elston. I’d also argue that being a good recruiter is identifying “lower star” talent. We’re assuming these kids needed to be developed rather than they were properly evaluated in the recruiting process. He did have more than 9 in the last 5 years as well.

Well you’re basing 1 year of recruiting rankings vs a hand picked 5 years of Elston. I’d also argue that being a good recruiter is identifying “lower star” talent. We’re assuming these kids needed to be developed rather than they were properly evaluated in the recruiting process. He did have more than 9 in the last 5 years as well.
No he did not. Not according to the 247 composite. And I didnt use hand picked. I used his last 5 years as a DL coach. Im not going to count his time as a LB coach when comparing him with Al who is coaching DL

No he did not. Not according to the 247 composite. And I didnt use hand picked. I used his last 5 years as a DL coach. Im not going to count his time as a LB coach when comparing him with Al who is coaching DL
It is hand picked, Why not compare his 1st 5 years? Also worth noting, Elston had 0 help from BK, we know MF is the lead recruiter.
Bothelo and Burnham were recruited for the DL, despite what 247 tells you. Go look at their freshman roster positions.

Rivals:
Ford
Gobiara
Burnham

Rubio

Mills
Aidan K
Bothelo

Lacey
Foskey
Cross
Nana
Spears

Ademiolia

Reactions: chaseball
It is hand picked, Why not compare his 1st 5 years? Also worth noting, Elston had 0 help from BK, we know MF is the lead recruiter.
Bothelo and Burnham were recruited for the DL, despite what 247 tells you. Go look at their freshman roster positions.

Rivals:
Ford
Gobiara
Burnham

Rubio

Mills
Aidan K
Bothelo

Lacey
Foskey
Cross
Nana
Spears

Ademiolia
I use the composite rankings. Not just one site. Takes out biases.

Burnham was recruited by Freeman at LB. Not by Elston. He started spring at LB and got moved. Not recruited by Elston. I know that for fact. Botelho I believe was recruited as a LB as well

Why would I use something from more than 11 years ago. I'll compare his most recent form as a recruiter

Elston had 9 four star players in his last 5 classes. Okay but nothing great at all. Not 1 top 100 player in 5 years

Elstons forst 4 years as DL coach is pretty similar to his last 5. Good recruiter, not great

We’ll get a good sense of this after this weekend.

Reactions: notredame79
Hopefully sjb won’t get this one shut down.

Visiting for Ohio State game?

IB mentioned if they can’t get him to come in June sometime this one is likely donezo.
Will worry about Justin Scott when/IF he actually signs an LOI in December

Last edited:

Burnham was recruited by Freeman at LB. Not by Elston. He started spring at LB and got moved. Not recruited by Elston. I know that for fact. Botelho I believe was recruited as a LB as well

Why would I use something from more than 11 years ago. I'll compare his most recent form as a recruiter

Elston had 9 four star players in his last 5 classes. Okay but nothing great at all. Not 1 top 100 player in 5 years

Elstons forst 4 years as DL coach is pretty similar to his last 5. Good recruiter, not great
However you spin it, too premature to crown AW as a better recruiter after one year of work…with MF leading the recruiting efforts.

However you spin it, too premature to crown AW as a better recruiter after one year of work…with MF leading the recruiting efforts.
Good point. Not to mention Elston had been recruiting those 2023 kids before AW showed up. AW lost Keeley, never gained the interest of J Moore.

That said, I no longer think AW is the recruiting problem. I don’t know if he can coach, but he’s recruiting solid kids.

The OL is my big concern both recruiting and development. Harry was legendary. We now have someone that isn’t even close to his level and it’s showing in recruiting. If we aren’t careful, CJ Carr is going to get sacked as often as Jimmy Clausen.

Reactions: theskibro

Correct on Burnham, but botello was looked at as a vyper. They used rover as a chance to get an athlete on the field.

I said the people who think recruiting went down in the last 1.5 years post Elston is wrong. So far. Up to this point Id say he's better. But that's too early to tell. But as of now DL recruiting hasn't dropped off at all

I said the people who think recruiting went down in the last 1.5 years post Elston is wrong. So far. Up to this point Id say he's better. But that's too early to tell. But as of now DL recruiting hasn't dropped off at all
You're making the claim ( i haven' read entire thread) that all 4 stars are created equal. The the 4 stars AW got last year we're almost 3 stars and not highly sought after by top teams. Elston got a number of good 4 stars that a lot of the top teams wanted. Guess what, those players made impacts quickly and are good players. I don't think you're going to see a ton of production out of the 23 class on the Dline, he may change that with the 24 class but TBD. Our entire 2 deep Dline are recruits rated better and more sought after than AWs recruits in 23 except Onye, and onye was more highly recruited than his 23 dline recruits.

Elston wasn't the best dline recruiter in the world, but he was a darn good coach. I thought our dline regressed last year (stats show that vs the run, tfl, sacks) and he isn't lighting the world on fire recruiting (land rushing and scott and that changes).

You're making the claim ( i haven' read entire thread) that all 4 stars are created equal. The the 4 stars AW got last year we're almost 3 stars and not highly sought after by top teams. Elston got a number of good 4 stars that a lot of the top teams wanted. Guess what, those players made impacts quickly and are good players. I don't think you're going to see a ton of production out of the 23 class on the Dline, he may change that with the 24 class but TBD. Our entire 2 deep Dline are recruits rated better and more sought after than AWs recruits in 23 except Onye, and onye was more highly recruited than his 23 dline recruits.

Elston wasn't the best dline recruiter in the world, but he was a darn good coach. I thought our dline regressed last year (stats show that vs the run, tfl, sacks) and he isn't lighting the world on fire recruiting (land rushing and scott and that changes).
No they weren't almost 3 stars. That is incorrect. Elston didnt land a player in the top 110 in the last 5 years. And he also had lost ranked 4 stars

You are underrating last years DL class. High high upside. High ability

You are wrong here across the board

Al is recruiting better than Elston....so far

No they weren't almost 3 stars. That is incorrect. Elston didnt land a player in the top 110 in the last 5 years. And he also had lost ranked 4 stars

You are underrating last years DL class. High high upside. High ability

You are wrong here across the board

Al is recruiting better than Elston....so far
Al hasn't landed a kid in the top 150, Thomas is his first in the top 250.

Not sure how you equate that to better than elston? It's actually not even close.

Here's someone in the top 100 (i'm not as high on him as others) that elston landed

Article must have confused Elston for Al.

Al hasn't landed a kid in the top 150, Thomas is his first in the top 250.

Not sure how you equate that to better than elston? It's actually not even close.

Here's someone in the top 100 (i'm not as high on him as others) that elston landed

Article must have confused Elston for Al.
Wrong again

Vernon - 200 he is Als commit
Traore - 219

Also, Houstan isnt close to a 3 star either, 262.

In Elstons last 5 years, he landed 9 four star players. 0 in the top 110

In Als 1.5 years, hes landed 5 four stars

Al is doing better than Elston right now for sure.... but it's early

jmo
Based only on posts, I can see why you think that. But based on ZERO posts about what a great student he is, I'm getting the idea that he isn't one.

I think they're a bit closer than you appear to think. If you're just talking about DL then yeah, but Elston helped with Fisher, Kraemer, Eichenberg and Correll as well.

Last edited:
Wrong again

Vernon - 200 he is Als commit
Traore - 219

Also, Houstan isnt close to a 3 star either, 262.

In Elstons last 5 years, he landed 9 four star players. 0 in the top 110

In Als 1.5 years, hes landed 5 four stars

Al is doing better than Elston right now for sure.... but it's early
Ummm maybe you don’t know what the link said…. But it states Vernon committed to elston… 4 4 stars for Al in 3 recruiting classes

It’s really not close yet

Im confident al can become a better recruiter, my bigger question mark is can he coach.

Last edited:
Ummm maybe you don’t know what the link said…. But it states Vernon committed to elston… 4 4 stars for Al in 3 recruiting classes

It’s really not close yet
Who did he sign with again? Notre Dame or Michigan?

Elston was the DL coach at Michigan, correct?

Al signed Vernon, not Elston

And people got on him for letting Keeley slip. If you do that, he has to get credit for keeping Vernon

Elston - 9 four stars in last 5 years. 0 in top 110

Big Al - 5 four stars in 1.5 years. 0 in top 110.

Al is recruiting better than Elston was.... but it's too early. But as of now, it's Al over Elston

Who did he sign with again? Notre Dame or Michigan?

Elston was the DL coach at Michigan, correct?

Al signed Vernon, not Elston

And people got on him for letting Keeley slip. If you do that, he has to get credit for keeping Vernon

Elston - 9 four stars in last 5 years. 0 in top 110

Big Al - 5 four stars in 1.5 years. 0 in top 110.

Al is recruiting better than Elston was.... but it's too early. But as of now, it's Al over Elston
0 in top 150 for Al, and a complete whiff in 23, 24 has a shot, and too early in 25

So credit for vernon and he’s reason keeley left or not?

Elston loves ND and didn’t try to get Vernon to flip. Y’all know I’m not high on vernon anyway or anyone we signed in 23 on dline. 24 is becoming much better than 23. Need to finish strong

0 in top 150 for Al, and a complete whiff in 23, 24 has a shot, and too early in 25

So credit for vernon and he’s reason keeley left or not?

Elston loves ND and didn’t try to get Vernon to flip. Y’all know I’m not high on vernon anyway or anyone we signed in 23 on dline. 24 is becoming much better than 23. Need to finish strong
It doesnt matter if you are high on him or not. I am. And he looked great at the all american game. But that's irrelevant when comparing them in recruiting ranking

Elston 9 four stars in 5 years

Al 5 four stars in 1.5 years

23 class was very good. Top 10 nationally. 24 is very good as well

So far, advantage Al. We'll see if that continues

I'm not going to count this one because its way too early.... but our 1 commit in the 25 class is a 4 star DL

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT