ADVERTISEMENT

New Commit

Disagree with Nana as a homerun at Drop. The reality is that the reason ND is trying so hard to get another Drop in the class is because Nana is going to grow into a SDE. Reminds me much more of Khalid Kareem than Daelin Hayes.

He’s closer to an OLB than a SDE.
He actually plays OLB primarily in high school, though he won’t do that in college.

He’s definitely a more balanced player than guys like DiCosmo or Ellison, but I think he’s clearly a Drop End in this system....unless his body style changes radically in a college S&C program.

Honestly, he seems like a nearly idea fit for the Drop End spot. Similar to D. Hayes, not as freakishly athletic/smooth but far more developed....both look similarly powerful, especially for highly athletic ends

Only wish they would throw more to the TEs . They never seem to

They did a lot in the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 timeframe but far less more recently.

We did more in 2017 though and moved to far more 2 TE sets, so I’d expect that trend to continue.

He actually plays OLB primarily in high school, though he won’t do that in college.

He’s definitely a more balanced player than guys like DiCosmo or Ellison, but I think he’s clearly a Drop End in this system....unless his body style changes radically in a college S&C program.

Honestly, he seems like a nearly idea fit for the Drop End spot. Similar to D. Hayes, not as freakishly athletic/smooth but far more developed....both look similarly powerful, especially for highly athletic ends

He physically looks like he could become an SDE. he looks like he could fill out a lot more

Disagree with Nana as a homerun at Drop. The reality is that the reason ND is trying so hard to get another Drop in the class is because Nana is going to grow into a SDE. Reminds me much more of Khalid Kareem than Daelin Hayes.
Does anyone have any news regarding Kofi Wardlow’s development? I was really pleased when they picked him up late in the process, and thought he might be a real sleeper for us with his raw athletic abilities.

God I hope you're right. I'm not claiming to be some defensive genius or know more than Lea & Elko but Drop End is such a dumb position from what I can tell. Have you noticed how many times D. Hayes doesn't rush the passer or drop into coverage? About 30 times a game he will literally hover 1-3 yards behind the line of scrimmage. It's such a waste, basically playing 10 on 11.

God I hope you're right. I'm not claiming to be some defensive genius or know more than Lea & Elko but Drop End is such a dumb position from what I can tell. Have you noticed how many times D. Hayes doesn't rush the passer or drop into coverage? About 30 times a game he will literally hover 1-3 yards behind the line of scrimmage. It's such a waste, basically playing 10 on 11.

That’s technically dropping into coverage.

The way it was explained to me was the following...
On 3rd & medium, he’s not going to get to the QB or drop deep into coverage, but he stops the plays that are schemed to get the ball out to the RB in space or dump to TE, both of which would get a 1st Down.
So the QB ends up throwing into coverage, eating the ball or throwing it away.
None of those show up in the stats for the drop end, but he was responsible for getting the 3rd down stop the same as if he rushed & caused the same results. But if he rushes the offense has schemes for it, but not when he drops.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: tbonesays
That’s technically dropping into coverage.

The way it was explained to me was the following...
On 3rd & medium, he’s not going to get to the QB or drop deep into coverage, but he stops the plays that are schemed to get the ball out to the RB in space or dump to TE, both of which would get a 1st Down.
So the QB ends up throwing into coverage, eating the ball or throwing it away.
None of those show up in the stats for the drop end, but he was responsible for getting the 3rd down stop the same as if he rushed & caused the same results. But if he rushes the offense has schemes for it, but not when he drops.

Does that make sense?
I understand it only when you suspect a draw play. And even then just leave a linebacker in my opinion. That's a position where you need to be rushing the passer nearly every time.

I understand it only when you suspect a draw play. And even then just leave a linebacker in my opinion. That's a position where you need to be rushing the passer nearly every time.

I think the belief is on 3rd & 3-6 yards you aren’t going to get to the QB in time with DE’s.
But you can take away the swing passes & TE throws. Now you force them to throw into coverage.
The NFL does this with 3-4 defenses all the time.

I think the belief is on 3rd & 3-6 yards you aren’t going to get to the QB in time with DE’s.
But you can take away the swing passes & TE throws. Now you force them to throw into coverage.
The NFL does this with 3-4 defenses all the time.
ND needs to just switch full time to 3-4

You can get away with a lack of elite defensive ends with scheme, also we actually recruit OLB well.

ND needs to just switch full time to 3-4

You can get away with a lack of elite defensive ends with scheme, also we actually recruit OLB well.

ND actually has a 5 Star at DE. And the WDE position at ND is an OLB.

But I’m in the camp too of pinning back your ears & going after the QB on 3rd downs & 2nd & longs. I watched in person Freeney & Mathis do it for years.
ND has more talent every year than 10 teams on their schedule. I wish in those games ND would just let their athletes go. But I’ve been told that in CFB teams can scheme around it.
I would love week 1 agsinst Michigan that D Hayes was let loose to test Michigan’s weak OL.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The player Nana mirrors, in my opinion, is former Wake Forest defense end, Duke Ejiofor, who was also from Texas. Ejiofor, was 6'4' 215lbs coming out of high school and wound up being a pass rushing SDE who played at 275lbs. I think Nana is already in the 230lb range and he still has a winter in the weight room before he gets to college. You look at his shoulder and his upper body and you see a lot of room for size and weight. I juet think Balis is going to get a hold of him and turn him into a big kid, with plus athleticism for the position.

ND actually has a 5 Star at DE. And the WDE position at ND is an OLB.

But I’m in the camp too of pinning back your ears & going after the QB on 3rd downs & 2nd & longs. I watched in person Freeney & Mathis do it for years.
ND has more talent every year than 10 teams on their schedule. I wish in those games ND would just let their athletes go. But I’ve been told that in CFB teams can scheme around it.
I would love week 1 agsinst Michigan that D Hayes was let loose to test Michigan’s weak OL.
It is true in college you can scheme around elite d ends with short passes and such. See Iowa vs. OSU.

I just don't think Hayes is that good of a pass rusher. Kareem however don't be shocked if he leaves early after this year. We don't get ends like him.

Last point, if you're going to run a 4-3 or 4-2-5 you cannot ever in any circumstance have Kofi Wardlow Jon McCallister & Justin Ademilola be your best ends in 2 classes.

Have people watched the video of NaNa? He's not an OLB by any means. He's a straight pass rushing end that has the ability to grow into a run stopping DE. OLB? yeah maybe at the the high school level, but he's got no future there. Let's just let S&C get him to 250-275 and see if he's going to be a true rush end, mix or a bigger run stopping end. WE all know what we need, but you gotta do what's best for the young man.

Really, if you wanted to put him at LB, he'd be a middle line backer.

By the way, I'm very excited to see him play at ND and think he has enormous potential.

Just watched his film. I said the same thing about Cole Kmet but I may be right this time. Don't be shocked if he ends up playing D end at ND. He seemed like a natural

Have people watched the video of NaNa? He's not an OLB by any means. He's a straight pass rushing end that has the ability to grow into a run stopping DE. OLB? yeah maybe at the the high school level, but he's got no future there. Let's just let S&C get him to 250-275 and see if he's going to be a true rush end, mix or a bigger run stopping end. WE all know what we need, but you gotta do what's best for the young man.

Who has claimed he'll be a CFB OLB???

He's an OLB (primarily) in high school, and build well for the Drop End spot, where he was recruited by ND coaches. Like Hayes, he can probably play that spot at anywhere from 240lbs to 260lbs.

I do not believe he's actually 6'4", but rather probably closer to 6'2" or 6'3"...and at ~250lbs....that makes him an ideal "every down Drop End", similar to what Hayes is (physically)

While NaNa does not appear to have the freakishly smooth athleticism of Hayes, and will not be as comfortable dropping into coverage, he is sooooo much more developed technicall than Hayes, that he may be in a similar place practically for coverage (early in his career). And he's likely to be a FAR better pass rusher early on, for that same reason.

By my eye, he's about as ideal of a Drop End candidate as you can find.

Really, if you wanted to put him at LB, he'd be a middle line backer.

By the way, I'm very excited to see him play at ND and think he has enormous potential.
Looks like a good one..Still has 2 years to improve..

Just watched his film. I said the same thing about Cole Kmet but I may be right this time. Don't be shocked if he ends up playing D end at ND. He seemed like a natural

Are you talking about Mayer or NaNa?

As I expected a couple weeks ago, Nick Henrich is pretty much a lock to Nebraska. CB's coming in for him to the Corn Huskers.

ND appears done at ILB with Ekwonu and Kiser and will only take a Rover moving forward. Tristan Sinclair is #1 on that list (I agree entirely) and Asa Turner is a quality #2 option if Sinclair opts to follow in his dad's foot steps to Stanford.

ND is expecting 2 commits tomorrow (July 4th) in QB Brendon Clark and WR Cam Hart. Decent pickups. Neither are needle movers, but both could be solid contributors to a quality program and Clark has good size and athleticism and a rocket launcher for an arm. If he can improve his accuracy I like him more than Ian Book and I think he has more longterm upside than Drew Pyne.

Reactions: TXNDFan88
Mayer, he was all State at D end & had 79 tackles with 7.5 sacks. I don't even care about the stats, he looked like a natural d end on film. He had half as many sacks as catches.

He played with two really good WRs who both had over a 1000 yards.
Someone asked if he would be moved to DE & the answer was a definitive no.
They have a plan for him & Bauman together at TE. They are really pushing hard in the 2020 class for offensive skill players.

He played with two really good WRs who both had over a 1000 yards.
Someone asked if he would be moved to DE & the answer was a definitive no.
They have a plan for him & Bauman together at TE. They are really pushing hard in the 2020 class for offensive skill players.
They also had 2 or 3 other d linemen who were all state with him. His team was 15-0 and the best in Kentucky. He looked like a legit defensive end on tape. Wouldn't be shocked if he gets switched to d end once he gets to ND

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT