ADVERTISEMENT

ND v NC State MBB

scubastevefl

I've posted how many times?
Dec 9, 2006
ND lead the entire game to blow it in the last two minutes. ND will be sitting home this post season again.

ND lead the entire game to blow it in the last two minutes. ND will be sitting home this post season again.
That was clear after the BC game, five these kids time and watch them grow this year and hopefully this sophomore class will get us back to the dance next year and the year after.

That was clear after the BC game, five these kids time and watch them grow this year and hopefully this sophomore class will get us back to the dance next year and the year after.

Exactly. Unfortunately, just as ND's non-putrid guards come of age, their quality forwards graduate, with nothing of note behind them. Could be extremely rough again next year.

Exactly. Unfortunately, just as ND's non-putrid guards come of age, their quality forwards graduate, with nothing of note behind them. Could be extremely rough again next year.

I really like Brey -- he was the best fit for ND at the time, and he has evolved over time, utilizing his talent to get the max out of them. However; I do feel that Brey's time has come and for ND to begin going in another direction.

I really like Brey -- he was the best fit for ND at the time, and he has evolved over time, utilizing his talent to get the max out of them. However; I do feel that Brey's time has come and for ND to begin going in another direction.
Where’s the recruiting? Program feels stale and dead. Too bad since Brey is such a great fit.

Reactions: Kelso86
Critical when Mooney misses a Front End of a 1-1 and fouls out 15 seconds later with the score tied under 3 minutes .

Not a criticism-----he's carrying us------just saying it was a turning point.

Critical when Mooney misses a Front End of a 1-1 and fouls out 15 seconds later with the score tied under 3 minutes .

Not a criticism-----he's carrying us------just saying it was a turning point.
He is our go to guy, but his poor free throw shooting has cost us in a few of these losses.

Reactions: francade
IMO Brey has earned the right to see these sophomores through their senior year and after that unless the program is in a significantly better state it’s time to celebrate the end of a great career for Brey and hire our next coach.

As soon as Mooney fouled out i knew they would lose. They have no other options at scorers. They do not have one single player that can go one on one and score, which means they do not have great athletes. NC State had Johnson who i thnkcould have scored every time if isolated. In addition they can not shoot worth a squat.

Brey for 20 years has played a short bench. His team was shorthanded but he doesn't go deep into the bench anyways. This is one of Brey's calling cards. By his own admission:

"Using your bench is overrated." - Mike Brey

Anyone who has played any basketball knows that if you're legs get tired if affects your shooting. If you don't rotate guys and make an effort to keep fresh legs in the game and/or try and keep your starters fresh for a stretch run at the end of a game, this scenario can be epidemic. Guys get gassed and it is harder to shoot without your legs underneath you. Sometimes guys have off nights shooting, sometimes the hot hand is on the bench, but a hot hand on the bench is hard to find when you only go 7 deep.

Brey for 20 years has played a short bench. His team was shorthanded but he doesn't go deep into the bench anyways. This is one of Brey's calling cards. By his own admission:

"Using your bench is overrated." - Mike Brey

Anyone who has played any basketball knows that if you're legs get tired if affects your shooting. If you don't rotate guys and make an effort to keep fresh legs in the game and/or try and keep your starters fresh for a stretch run at the end of a game, this scenario can be epidemic. Guys get gassed and it is harder to shoot without your legs underneath you. Sometimes guys have off nights shooting, sometimes the hot hand is on the bench, but a hot hand on the bench is hard to find when you only go 7 deep.
What's puzzling is his unwillingness to use Djogo, a kid who has played a lot of BBall at ND over the past four years.

What's puzzling is his unwillingness to use Djogo, a kid who has played a lot of BBall at ND over the past four years.
I thought he was briefly in the game at Syracuse....it’s a mystery why he can’t contribute.

Another of Brey's calling cards that goes along with having a short bench is burying players that can help on the bench. Mooney wasn't likely not going to play much last year as an example and wasn't a starter at the beginning of the season. It wasn't until injuries that Brey was forced to use him and poof, suddenly he was our best player.

Another of Brey's calling cards that goes along with having a short bench is burying players that can help on the bench. Mooney wasn't likely not going to play much last year as an example and wasn't a starter at the beginning of the season. It wasn't until injuries that Brey was forced to use him and poof, suddenly he was our best player.

There's got to be more to it than that. Djogo is anything but a star level player, but he has made some contributions over the years, and was once in the normal rotation. So here we are in a game where we are shorthanded to start, then Mooney fouls out, and Djogo never even takes off his sweats. There's just something weird there. Either he's not really healthy, or for some reason Brey has zero confidence in him now.

There's got to be more to it than that. Djogo is anything but a star level player, but he has made some contributions over the years, and was once in the normal rotation. So here we are in a game where we are shorthanded to start, then Mooney fouls out, and Djogo never even takes off his sweats. There's just something weird there. Either he's not really healthy, or for some reason Brey has zero confidence in him now.

Could be either …. I just think there is a lot more wrong than just misusing or not using Djogo …. but as far as Djogo goes, I'm not surprised with the situation he is in given Brey's track record

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT