ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State is probably the most winnable of the big 3 games this season

BaldyNd

Irish Expert
Sep 19, 2020
We haven’t seen Clemson yet but that game is on the road. And USC are insane offensively. Ohio State might have their worst squad in a decade or so. Obviously they are still very deep and arguably more talented than us, but we have an unquestionable QB advantage. The game is also at home. Don’t want to overlook NC state but I’m starting to get cautiously optimistic for the OSU game…

Based on this one game sample, Ohio State has QB and offensive line issues. Their defense though seems to be improving.

We haven’t seen Clemson yet but that game is on the road. And USC are insane offensively. Ohio State might have their worst squad in a decade or so. Obviously they are still very deep and arguably more talented than us, but we have an unquestionable QB advantage. The game is also at home. Don’t want to overlook NC state but I’m starting to get cautiously optimistic for the OSU game…
And you came to that conclusion after 1 game? 😂 🤣

yep! AGREE I would be shocked if ND did not handle the Bucks handily ! ND by 12

OSU does appear to have improved its D but clearly the O has suffered with the new QB. Now the D still does not look all that impressive but it was a dumpster fire last year.

I think we have a good shot at beating them for the first time in HOW long?

NC State is in Hartmans back yard and will be very familiar with the wolf pack defense. I see ND winning by three TD’s

OSU does appear to have improved its D but clearly the O has suffered with the new QB. Now the D still does not look all that impressive but it was a dumpster fire last year.

I think we have a good shot at beating them for the first time in HOW long?
?? The defense gave up 150 yards yesterday and held Indiana to like 2.5 ypp, how is that not impressive. And Indiana crosses the 30 yard like like once. If it wasn't for a crazy doink off the upright that went in, it would have been a shutout

?? The defense gave up 150 yards yesterday and held Indiana to like 2.5 ypp, how is that not impressive. And Indiana crosses the 30 yard like like once. If it wasn't for a crazy doink off the upright that went in, it would have been a shutout
And what kind of offense does Indiana have in the first place. ND’s biggest strength is the o-line and at QB, not to mention a running back room that goes four deep and the wide outs are getting better every game. The opposing teams are going to have to score 35 points a game to keep with them. I believe the Irish defense is good enough to keep teams under that total

And what kind of offense does Indiana have in the first place. ND’s biggest strength is the o-line and at QB, not to mention a running back room that goes four deep and the wide outs are getting better every game. The opposing teams are going to have to score 35 points a game to keep with them. I believe the Irish defense is good enough to keep teams under that total
ND has played a terrible Navy team and an FCS team, how do you know any more about your team than OSU does? You can't discredit Indiana then turn around and prop up ND after what they have faced.

ND has played a terrible Navy team and an FCS team, how do you know any more about your team than OSU does? You can't discredit Indiana then turn around and prop up ND after what they have faced.

The difference is that OSU struggled against Indiana. ND has won their two games handily.

Reactions: BGI User 756
The difference is that OSU struggled against Indiana. ND has won their two games handily.
Well yeah, Indiana is a step up from those teams. They had a bunch of transfers come in, their team was littered with upperclassmen starters and it showed. IU has a solid defense, offense not so much. I'm not saying IU is a good team but their defense is at least a challenge, their HC is a defense guy. You literally get no challenge by playing a Navy or an FCS program. Beating a conference foe by 20 points on the road is a solid win, but of course it's Ohio State so they'll be judged differently.

Ohio State plays an FCS team next week, so if the offense erupts I guess I'll get to say we're back

Reactions: 4-4-3
Well yeah, Indiana is a step up from those teams. They had a bunch of transfers come in, their team was littered with upperclassmen starters and it showed. IU has a solid defense, offense not so much. I'm not saying IU is a good team but their defense is at least a challenge, their HC is a defense guy. You literally get no challenge by playing a Navy or an FCS program. Beating a conference foe by 20 points on the road is a solid win, but of course it's Ohio State so they'll be judged differently.

Ohio State plays an FCS team next week, so if the offense erupts I guess I'll get to say we're back

Nah. Indiana is not a step up from Navy. Indiana is 6-18 over the past two years. Don't come over here and try to sell us that nonsense.

Reactions: Classic Irish
Nah. Indiana is not a step up from Navy. Indiana is 6-18 over the past two years. Don't come over here and try to sell us that nonsense.
Big 10 vs no scholarship players (Navy). Its not even close. Indiana has way more talent and Navy is in the dumps the last 4 years. I highly doubt they become bowl eligible.

Reactions: 4-4-3 and BucksLAN
Big 10 vs no scholarship players (Navy). Its not even close. Indiana has way more talent and Navy is in the dumps the last 4 years. I highly doubt they become bowl eligible.
Right, plus this Indiana team had a lot of incoming guys, so their record the previous couple of seasons is irrelevant. TCU and Baylor lost to two bad teams last year that overhauled their roster with a ton of incoming portal guys and Indiana did the same. I don't think IU is a good team by any stretch of imagination but they aren't some talentless scrub team that can't play good football. They had all offseason to prepare to play this game and their gameplan was to run the ball and eat up as much clock as possible and they did that, thus limiting how much possessions OSU got. I think we had 10 total possessions this game, compared to 17 possessions in last years matchup with them. I think ND is a good team but they aren't going on the road into IU game 1 and beating them by 40+ points, especially with the new clock rule change. They're definitely a step or two up in talent from Navy/Tennessee State.

Right, plus this Indiana team had a lot of incoming guys, so their record the previous couple of seasons is irrelevant. TCU and Baylor lost to two bad teams last year that overhauled their roster with a ton of incoming portal guys and Indiana did the same. I don't think IU is a good team by any stretch of imagination but they aren't some talentless scrub team that can't play good football. They had all offseason to prepare to play this game and their gameplan was to run the ball and eat up as much clock as possible and they did that, thus limiting how much possessions OSU got. I think we had 10 total possessions this game, compared to 17 possessions in last years matchup with them. I think ND is a good team but they aren't going on the road into IU game 1 and beating them by 40+ points, especially with the new clock rule change. They're definitely a step or two up in talent from Navy/Tennessee State.
I didn’t watch too closely, but the little I saw Indiana looked decent on defense. That’s definitely an interesting stat about 17 to 10 possessions.

We watched different games. OSU struggled ? They had OL issues (3 new starters) the 1st half but figured it out and their QB looked good in the 2nd half. The final score was 23-3 and they threw away a few more scores - one when Marvin Harrison stepped out of bounds before catching a TD pass from their QB. That game could have easily been 37-3 minus the 1st game mistakes

As mentioned, I'd be concerned if I was an ND fan about the schedule so far - an undersized Navy and Tenn St ? Neither could even come close to applying pressure to Hartmann. Do you think that will be the same with OSU? At least Indiana is P5

watching ND, it is apparent that these kids connect with each other. They play as a team. That is no small deal. There is an espirit de corp developed through spring and the early games.

We watched different games. OSU struggled ? They had OL issues (3 new starters) the 1st half but figured it out and their QB looked good in the 2nd half. The final score was 23-3 and they threw away a few more scores - one when Marvin Harrison stepped out of bounds before catching a TD pass from their QB. That game could have easily been 37-3 minus the 1st game mistakes

As mentioned, I'd be concerned if I was an ND fan about the schedule so far - an undersized Navy and Tenn St ? Neither could even come close to applying pressure to Hartmann. Do you think that will be the same with OSU? At least Indiana is P5
Nc state will be the best test either team faces going into our matchup

You seem to be overrating Indy. They are 30-38 since 2017 and under .500 in conference since then. Have two conference wins the last 2 years

They are as poor as Navy

Stop. Indy had zero conference wins last year, 2 in 2021. They are very much like Navy. In fact Navy is harder to handle, ask Urban

Yes the first 2 games were scrimmages but ND dominated as it should. You guys struggled

Reactions: NDSMC78
you buck fans are making reasonable argument for YOUR team. I might be leading with my heart but this year is the year I feel it is about the ‘luck of the Irish’.

Navy returned a lot of starters. And while they went 4-8 last year, they did beat UCF, Tulsa and East Carolina. UCF and ECU were bowl teams. They usually have a competitive team.

Reactions: melstew
Indiana played keep away. Used the new clock system to their advantage.

Indiana played keep away. Used the new clock system to their advantage.
Exactly, it was frustrating. Tom Allen was playing to lose by 20 instead of 40+, trying to earn a moral victory in the process. They didn't even try to field a passing game for the first 2 and a half quarters

Who is this buckslan person. Did you graduate with a degree in on line golf classes?

Navy returned a lot of starters. And while they went 4-8 last year, they did beat UCF, Tulsa and East Carolina. UCF and ECU were bowl teams. They usually have a competitive team.
Fair enough about the starters.

The reason I lack confidence in Navy is because they have gotten too far away from what they were doing under Paul Johnson and Niamatolo.

They were too multiple against ND. Shotgun and throwing it/running spread concepts.

They had some success under center and in the gun against ND but I don’t think its a long term solution.

Air Force is staying under center and winning a lot of games.

Reactions: 4-4-3 and mbd11
some of us are fans rooting with our hearts this year! I believe ND can get it done this year! I will continue to do so until someone proves that wrong!

Reactions: IrishMike409
FWIW, Indiana would be a slight favorite -3 over Navy at a neutral site.
im curious where you are getting this information .. i know you can take a ranking system like F+ and convert the F+ rating directly into a point spread so im guessing you are doing something similar? Im curious what you are basing these point spreads off of

Last edited:
im curious where you are getting this information .. i know you can take a ranking system like F+ and convert the F+ rating directly into a point spread so im guessing you are doing something similar? Im curious what you are basing these point spreads off of

Sagarin, which I have found is usually very close to the initial Vegas odds.

Reactions: chaseball
because iu stinks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT