ADVERTISEMENT

ND slips from #8 to #11 after 20+ point win vs NC State (F+ update week 3)

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
A reminder not to judge a book by its cover. ND, despite their 4th quarter explosion vs NC State, dropped from #8 to #11 in this week's F+ update. The good news is that the offense actually increased their F+ rating from last week and the team isn't as defensive heavy as the system initially thought just 1 week ago. ND is becoming a more balanced team (Offense ranked 14th, defense ranked 9th, overall rank 11th)

We were jumped by Florida State, Texas, and Washington (although Washington is just barely ahead of us)

NC State dropped from #54 to #59 -- you know that tough wolfpack team the media hyped up all week as a real "challenge" even though they are ranked #59 overall and only 65 power 5 teams exist

The BIG10 also has three teams in the top 5 in F+ for the first time that I can remember. That conference is looking like it's starting to chip away at the SECs dominance in college football after 2-3 games but it's still early

Top 5 after week 3:
1. Georgia
2. OSU
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Penn State

Why is Alabama still rated over Texas even though Alabama lost to texas?

Because this isn't a resume ranking and the data supports the idea that if Texas and Alabama were to play again, Alabama would be favored to win despite losing in their head to head match up this past saturday. You ever watch any sport that has 3/5/7 game series? This is why. The better team wins the whole-series despite losing individual games in a series all the time.

Last edited:
Just take care of business this week ad beat OSU next week so much for the F+anything index

Reactions: NDinNJ
Alabama's reputation is why. No other reason. Bluntly speaking anyone watching that game and thinking alabama would for sure win another if they played the next week is full of crap.
Kinda but not because of its reputation directly but because they have the best 85 man roster in the country on aggregate and teams that have the most talent in the country are usually good bets to win games vs teams that don't going forward.

And in only week 3 the system is still relying heavily on the talent aspect of programs (while still incorporating the in-season performance but not to the same degree that it will after week 4)

Last edited:
A reminder not to judge a book by its cover. ND, despite their 4th quarter explosion vs NC State, dropped from #8 to #11 in this week's F+ update. The good news is that the offense actually increased their F+ rating from last week and the team isn't as defensive heavy as the system initially thought just 1 week ago. ND is becoming a more balanced team (Offense ranked 14th, defense ranked 9th, overall rank 11th)

We were jumped by Florida State, Texas, and Washington (although Washington is just barely ahead of us)

NC State dropped from #54 to #59 -- you know that tough wolfpack team the media hyped up all week as a real "challenge" even though they are ranked #59 overall and only 65 power 5 teams exist

The BIG10 also has three teams in the top 5 in F+ for the first time that I can remember. That conference is looking like it's starting to chip away at the SECs dominance in college football after 2-3 games but it's still early

Top 5 after week 3:
1. Georgia
2. OSU
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Penn State

Because this isn't a resume ranking and the data supports the idea that if Texas and Alabama were to play again, Alabama would be favored to win despite losing in their head to head match up this past saturday. You ever watch any sport that has 4/5/7 game series? This is why. The better team wins the whole-series despite losing individual games in a series all the time.

ND is 9 and 11 in the AP and Coaches polls. No one gives a damn about F+.

Kinda but not because of its reputation directly but because they have the best 85 man roster in the country on aggregate and teams that have the most talent in the country are usually good bets to win games vs teams that don't going forward.

And in only week 3 the system is still relying heavily on the talent aspect of programs (while still incorporating the in-season performance but not to the same degree that it will after week 4)
In a few words its worthless

Texas beat Alabama head to head at Alabama and F+ has Alabama 4 spots ahead of Texas proving how fraudulent the F+ ranking system is.

This is why you, chaseball are complete joke.

Yet they lost, somewhat convincingly, at home

Reactions: BGI User 756

Alabama may have the most talent on their roster, but they're lacking at some key positions. Their starting QB is mediocre at this point. And their offensive line was outplayed by the Texas DL. Texas sacked them 5 times and held them to 107 yds rushing on 35 carries.

So IMO Texas has the better team, and that was no fluke they beat Alabama on Bama's home field.

Top 5 after week 3:
1. Georgia
2. OSU
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Penn State

Because this isn't a resume ranking and the data supports the idea that if Texas and Alabama were to play again, Alabama would be favored to win despite losing in their head to head match up this past saturday. You ever watch any sport that has 3/5/7 game series? This is why. The better team wins the whole-series despite losing individual games in a series all the time.
I did the math and my numbers were different so I'm doing something wrong with the formula you put out but not accounting for headed to heah is very short sided.
Having all the talent doesn't mean it plays well together

Alabama may have the most talent on their roster, but they're lacking at some key positions. Their starting QB is mediocre at this point. And their offensive line was outplayed by the Texas DL. Texas sacked them 5 times and held them to 107 yds rushing on 35 carries.

So IMO Texas has the better team, and that was no fluke they beat Alabama on Bama's home field.
Exactly

Why are we giving this fool so much time. ND is
3-0, they've dominated the opponents they should have, with an impressive road win against a p5 school. Ranked top 10. Who cares about the fraudulent F+ system

I'm sure Vagas doesn't use this
I provided no formula, the formula is not published, so im not sure what kind of math you are trying to do? I've given you the components that the ranking system takes into consideration based on what i've learned about the system over the years.

And vegas doesn't use this for sure they have their own proprietary system. This one is the best one that is available to the public though.

Do you know a better tool available to the public that does the important task of neutralizing for luck and opponent quality? If so please shoot me the link so I can check it out.

Last edited:
I provided no formula, the formula is not published. I've given you the components that the ranking system takes into consideration based on what i've learned about the system over the years.

And vegas doesn't use this for sure they have their own proprietary system. This one is the best one that is available to the public though.

Do you know a better tool available to the public that does the important task of neutralizing for luck and opponent quality? If so please shoot me the link so I can check it out.
And disregards a head to head. lol, what a joke

Just post this on the OSU board so their fans back off the ledge. Good thing F+ ratings mean nothing. Bama ahead of Texas 😂

I'm not saying Alabama is better than Texas i'm only explaining why the system still has Alabama ahead of Texas despite their loss. The best team doesn't always win in a 1 game sample size. That is why other sports use multiple-game sample sizes to determine their playoff winners (mlb, nba, nhl)

I'm not saying Alabama is better than Texas i'm only explaining why the system still has Alabama ahead of Texas despite their loss. The best team doesn't always win in a 1 game sample size. That is why other sports use multiple-game sample sizes to determine their playoff winners (mlb, nba, nhl)
Well, apparently one flaw in that system is that it treats all 85 players as if they're of equal value. But they're not. And it also doesn't factor coaching in. Obviously, coaching's very important.

Well, apparently one flaw in that system is that it treats all 85 players as if they're of equal value. But they're not. And it also doesn't factor coaching in. Obviously, coaching's very important.
The system has endless weaknesses for sure. But it also has some very powerful strengths and when the system is used in the right context it reveals a lot; primarily how it expects teams to perform going forward based on the best information we have on all 133 FBS teams up to this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadirishpoet
If someone wants to disagree with something specific I'm happy to clarify or debate a good argument or be receptive to a well articulated point of view I hadn't considered. But all of the low effort posts are really starting to pile up here. It's easy for me to ignore them but it doesn't seem very welcoming to all the potential posters out there who might have something to offer to the community who have yet to sign up. If you don't have anything of value to add to the discussion please refrain from posting.

If someone wants to disagree with something specific I'm happy to clarify or debate a good argument or be receptive to a good point of view I hadn't considered. But all of the low effort posts are really starting to pile up here. It's easy for me to ignore them but it doesn't seem very welcoming to all the potential posters out there who might have something to offer to the community who have yet to sign up.
I've read your same regurgitated takes ad nauseum. For months.

Zero reason to respond to what you say.

Isn't the explanation simply that the F system has a bad algorithm? It would seem that the truest measure is H-H. The discount to H-H would be away vs home.

Any system that after 2 games has TX behind the team they beat going into that stadium at night seems like a system that needs to rethink their algorithm.

That system seems significantly flawed.

Isn't the explanation simply that the F system has a bad algorithm? It would seem that the truest measure is H-H. The discount to H-H would be away vs home.

Any system that after 2 games has TX behind the team they beat going into that stadium at night seems like a system that needs to rethink their algorithm.

That system seems significantly flawed.
What do people not understand about this not being a resume ranking like your traditional college football poll?

THIS IS NOT A RESUME RANKING

This ranking is not trying to rank teams based on their in-season accomplishments.

This ranking is trying to tell us how teams will perform GOING FORWARD based on the BEST AVAILABLE DATA UP TO THIS VERY POINT.

When everybody thought ND was a legit top 5 team back in 2012, 2015, 2018, 2020 F+ had ND ranked in the mid to low teens (well behind the top 5). Then ND went on to play a top 5 ranked team in F+ in each of those years respectively only to get bulldozed like they weren't even on the field. You would think for this fact alone some people would give the system at least a smidgin of the benefit of the doubt. You can even go back and check the data as the results are posted all the way back to 2007.

Some of the members on this board--some of which love to brag about their ND education--seem mentally challenged. Does nobody here have the ability to think critically, independently, and/or demonstrate common sense?

I guess i'm getting frustrated with the ignorant anti intellectual mob that seems to be growing on this site.

Last edited:
When everybody thought ND was a legit top 5 team back in 2012, 2015, 2018, 2020 F+ had ND ranked in the mid to low teens (well behind the top 5). Then ND went on to play a top 5 ranked team in F+ in each of those years respectively only to get bulldozed like they weren't even on the field. You would think for this fact alone some people would give the system at least a smidgin of the benefit of the doubt. You can even go back and check the data as the results are posted all the way back to 2007.

Some of the members on this board--some of which love to brag about their ND education--seem mentally challenged. Does nobody here have the ability to think critically, independently, and/or demonstrate common sense?

I guess i'm getting frustrated with the ignorant anti intellectual mob that seems to be growing on this site.
The F- system is the worst at ranking teams

The system has endless weaknesses for sure. But it also has some very powerful strengths and when the system is used in the right context it reveals a lot; primarily how it expects teams to perform going forward based on the best information we have on all 133 FBS teams up to this point.
Garbage just like you. Biggest troll on this forum.

I think what would be best is if you just STFU with the ND bashing. You have way too much time on your hands loser.

Top 5 after week 3:
1. Georgia
2. OSU
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Penn State

Because this rating system is totally flawed and inaccurate?

What do people not understand about this not being a resume ranking like your traditional college football poll?

This ranking is not trying to rank teams based on their in-season accomplishments.

This ranking is trying to tell us how teams will perform GOING FORWARD based on the BEST AVAILABLE DATA UP TO THIS VERY POINT.
Does F+ factor in when starters are pulled or no?

I guess i'm getting frustrated with the ignorant anti-intellectual mob that seems to be growing on this site.

It doesnt seem to
Does F+ factor in when starters are pulled or no?

ND had most of their 3rd string in late for that final TD. Fair question.

Reactions: deadirishpoet

NOBODY CARES!! IT'S GARBAGE LIKE YOU!

Why are we giving this fool so much time. ND is
3-0, they've dominated the opponents they should have, with an impressive road win against a p5 school. Ranked top 10. Who cares about the fraudulent F+ system
It’s ridiculous. I’m starting to blame the guys like Golson that keep replying to him, and posting the same things over and over to disprove his BS. Obviously it’s not getting through or he doesn’t care, and the forum is littered with chase trying to argue the same points with the same few people again and again. Just ignore him

This F+ reminds me alot of Beyer speed figs in horse racing. Meaning if you just went strictly off the speed figs you are going to consistently lose your money. Just because there is a formula that can calculate the speed of a horse or the "strength of a team" it does little to predict the winner of a race or game. There are so many factors that go into winning & losing that if you rely on a rating site or formula you're not a sharp bettor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT