ADVERTISEMENT

Someone please sell me on NC State

Duke just beat Clemson by 21 and wasnt ranked. Rankings right now don't mean much.

It's our first road game. Nc state is pretty good.

We should win. But they have enough talent to beat us if we dont play well

Duke just beat Clemson by 21 and wasnt ranked. Rankings right now don't mean much.

Missing Brian venables

What are you judging their talent off of? They're NC State, not a blue blood. They weren't ranked in any of the pre-season polls. Preseason rankings are pretty much all based on speculation of talent for the upcoming season. Coaches/writers evidently don't think much of NC State's "talent."

They have some play makers, size, and experience as long as ND does not pull a Clemson than ND will be fine

If Notre Dame shows up and plays their game they will be fine, if they look past NC State and show up sluggish they'll be in a dogfight until the end.

As is the case in most college football match-ups with power 5 teams.

What are you judging their talent off of? They're NC State, not a blue blood. They weren't ranked in any of the pre-season polls. Preseason rankings are pretty much all based on speculation of talent for the upcoming season. Coaches/writers evidently don't think much of NC State's "talent."
How did that work out for Clemson?

They're 18 and 8 in their last 26 games, past 2 years. Beat ranked teams. Beat Clemson

Difference between team ranked 25th and 35th is nothing. 35 could be a tougher matchup. It's subjective

Reactions: greenspan
Every coach talks up their opponent every week ad nauseam. A lot of posters have no critical thinking skills and blindly follow whatever the message from the university is to the public.

If ND loses or gets challenged there is a baked in excuse that "hey that was a good NC state team bro" :rolleyes:

Or other rationalizations ND homers love to use "The team came out flat bro" lol wtf does that even mean?

Reality is that any legit playoff contender would run this mid ACC garden variety FBS team over easily.

NC State is ranked way down in the mid 40s. And not from a subjective poll but from a ranking system that takes into account objective data.

NC State

It's disappointing that ND is only an 8 point favorite. Vegas thinks it'll be pretty close.

If ND can't put away this team convincingly and finds themselves in a battle then ND isn't a good team itself.

Last edited:
Pitt was 5-4 and unranked in 2016 and upset #1 Clemson in Death Valley. Clemson went on to win the National Championship that season.

NC State give scholarships. They have a veteran coach and a veteran QB, have been top defense in ACC running a 3-3-5 defense that has given Hartman some trouble at Wake. Decide for yourself, but we are all just fans so we can sit back and enjoy what should be a competitive game.

Every coach talks up their opponent every week ad nauseam. A lot of posters have no critical thinking skills and blindly follow whatever the message from the university is to the public.

If ND loses or gets challenged there is a baked in excuse that "hey that was a good NC state team bro" :rolleyes:

Or other rationalizations ND homers love to use "The team came out flat bro" lol wtf does that even mean?

Reality is that any legit playoff contender would run this mid ACC garden variety FBS team over easily.

NC State is ranked way down in the mid 40s. And not from a subjective poll but from a ranking system that takes into account objective data.

NC State

It's disappointing that ND is only an 8 point favorite. Vegas thinks it'll be pretty close.

If ND can't put away this team convincingly and finds themselves in a battle then ND isn't a good team itself.
Lol

Reactions: NDinNJ
NC State will be focused and ready. Count on that. Are they a juggernaut? No. But you cannot take them lightly. ND will need to be focused and ready as well. The fact that the Irish are 7.5-8 point favorite should tell you that the Wolfpack has some talent. ND hasn’t faced adversity yet. It will be interesting to see how they handle things down there. Either way NC State will be a challenge.

I don't see this game being much of a challenge, they're not even ranked. Why are so many shitting their pants over this NC State team? I just don't get it.
Unique attacking version of 3-3-5
Very tough place to play
They have beaten Hartman at home last two times they played
Mobile QB - ND has struggled against under golden
Hot swampy game

Reactions: greenspan and 4-4-3
It's NC State's home opener, crowd will be juiced. First time ND will be playing in a hostile road environment this season. Let's see how they handle it. I wouldn't expect a cake walk.

NC State is very capable of beating ND. The fact that ND is an 8pt favorite on the road though means something though. I like this ND team. We'll know a lot about then after this game. NC State is a solid team. It's a good measuring stick to where ND really is.

Reactions: 4-4-3
NC State is very capable of beating ND. The fact that ND is an 8pt favorite on the road though means something though. I like this ND team. We'll know a lot about then after this game. NC State is a solid team. It's a good measuring stick to where ND really is.
ND fans used to be overconfident; now we have corrected a bit too much.

If we had edged Navy and not performed up to expectations against TSU, I could see it, but this team seems pretty focused to me.

I think we win, but I think it will be a game in which we will have to overcome some adversity.

Reactions: NDSMC78

NC State

Let's look at Georgia. Last year they beat Kent State at home 39 - 22. And followed that up with a 26-22 win on the road at Missouri. Now in 2021, they had a ridiculously strong run to the title. Only game they won by single digits was the opener against Clemson (10-3). Every other game they won by double digits.

So, you are partly correct. But, you're also partly wrong. Georgia muddled through those wins against Kent State and Missouri last year.

-8 for the Irish on the road is a cautious line for the unproven Irish. They could be up 15-17 late in the game, give up a meaningless touchdown, and still cover.

I do agree though, a strong victory (17+) would help carry CFP aspirations another week forward with thoughts of actually winning a game or two when we arrive.

I don't see this game being much of a challenge, they're not even ranked. Why are so many shitting their pants over this NC State team? I just don't get it.
Historically, NC State has knocked off ranked opponents at home. It is unexplainable and maybe an anomaly but from what I remember they seem to really outplay their opponents in the 4th quarter for some reason.

You should take a more objective approach to your outlook on this game. This should be a win for Notre Dame, but to say it is an easy win is not accurate. NC State has won 16 of 17 at home. They were not ranked preseason coming off an 8 win season, but State had their 4th string quarterback for much of the year. Including their bowl game, and their win against Drake Maye and UNC. They also had a 4th stringer against Louisville. State's starter, Devin Leary, went down early in the year against FSU. If they had their QB, or heck, even 2nd string QB, they would have won at least 9 games and would be ranked right now. Notre Dame has much more depth, but NC State has 4 star players all over the place as starters on their team. By my count, about 13 of them. Including 3 on the Defensive Line, a LB who would be your best LB, and it is not close, three wideouts and both corners, amongst others. Again, 16 of last 17 are wins at home. Only loss was a controversial last second loss to BC with a true frosh QB on Senior Day.

Again, should be a win for ND, but to say NC State does not have the talent is false. Three first rounders in the past 4 years, including two picks in the top 6. We have had more QB's start NFL games the past three years than any other program. In 2019 alone, we had 5 former QB's start an NFL game. I am not comparing State to Notre Dame, but chalk this up as a win and you might be surprised.

Last edited:
You should take a more objective approach to your outlook on this game. This should be a win for Notre Dame, but to say it is an easy win is not accurate. NC State has won 16 of 17 at home. They were not ranked preseason coming off an 8 win season, but State had their 4th string quarterback for much of the year. Including their bowl game, and their win against Drake Maye and UNC. They also had a 4th stringer against Louisville. State's starter, Devin Leary, went down early in the year against FSU. If they had their QB, or heck, even 2nd string QB, they would have won at least 9 games and would be ranked right now. Notre Dame has much more depth, but NC State has 4 star players all over the place as starters on their team. By my count, about 13 of them. Including 3 on the Defensive Line, a LB who would be your best LB, and it is not close, three wideouts and both corners, amongst others. Again, 16 of last 17 are wins at home. Only loss was a controversial last second loss to BC with a true frosh QB on Senior Day.
You also have Brennan Armstrong at QB. My memory is he was pretty damned good at Virginia a couple of years ago.

I think ND's biggest weakness remains a lack of speed on the front 7, something a mobile QB can exploit.

Reactions: ftnfan62
You also have Brennan Armstrong at QB. My memory is he was pretty damned good at Virginia a couple of years ago.

I think ND's biggest weakness remains a lack of speed on the front 7, something a mobile QB can exploit.
Yes, a very experienced QB. State's defense is legit. The concern is our ability to run the ball when the defense knows it is coming. If we can't get a third and short against UConn, how the hell will we do it against ND. The hope is it was first game jitters, and we historically play up to our competition, especially at home. The other concern is who will emerge as our star wideouts. We have the horses, but the downfield passing game was non-existent last week. A lot of questions marks for sure. Brennan Armstrong is certainly a gamer and runs 20 mph. Nothing would surprise me this week. We will probably lose, but if we make it a dogfight and pull it out, I would not be at all shocked. I do not think it will be a blow out in any event.

With regard to your speed on the front 7, I had the same evaluation of ND. Your LB's are beasts going north and south, but side to side it does not appear to be there. Hope I am right. I will say everyone thinks playing Hartman again is an advantage for States defense. I wish it were someone else - because Hartman knows playing in Raleigh is not easy. He will have his guys aware of this. Consequently, I don't think your team will be taking us as lightly as some fans will.

Again, should be a win for ND, but to say NC State does not have the talent is false. Three first rounders in the past 4 years, including two picks in the top 6. We have had more QB's start NFL games the past three years than any other program. In 2019 alone, we had 5 former QB's start an NFL game. I am not comparing State to Notre Dame, but chalk this up as a win and you might be surprised.
Good post

You lost all credibility after this line here. ND has one of the best LB rooms in the country.
NC State had arguably the best LB room in the country a year ago. This is the objective viewpoint of many. The best one is still here. Payton Wilson. Watch #11. Your opinion will not be the same following this game. Yes I agree ND has a good LB room. Payton Wilson is 6 ft 4 245 lbs and runs a 4.49-4.52 (laser) with a 40 inch vertical leap. He runs 22.5 mph plus. He was a top LB out of high school. He also plays very angry. This is not a knock on Notre Dame, you guys have a ton of talented LB's in that room. But you do not have a Payton Wilson this year. That guy is a freaking animal. You could bring up a bunch of your other players and own me on it, but not Payton Wilson. I would agree with many other arguments but not this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGI User 756
Your LB's are beasts going north and south, but side to side it does not appear to be there.
Marist Liufau is a sideline to sideline beast, JD Bertrand has a gazillion tackles, and Jack Kiser is probably one of the best cover linebackers in the league. Our LB room is the strength of the team. We also have some of our best talent behind them providing depth (several top 100 prospects). You have no clue what you are talking about.

You lost all credibility after this line here. ND has one of the best LB rooms in the country.
No we don't. Our lbs are solid. But not great
Marist Liufau is a sideline to sideline beast, JD Bertrand has a gazillion tackles, and Jack Kiser is probably one of the best cover linebackers in the league. Our LB room is the strength of the team. We also have some of our best talent behind them providing depth (several top 100 prospects). You have no clue what you are talking about.
You dont watch Notre Dame football.

My comment regarding lack of sideline to sideline ability came from this board. That appears to be the opinion of some of your fans as well. You would know better than me. I don't profess to be an authority on the subject. Just saying, I got that comment from this board, then watched myself. I could be wrong.

NC State

I disagree here. NC State is a good team, they’ll win 8 games or so. Playing them in Raleigh matters. Just get back to South Bend w a win.

Last edited:
Reactions: tkirish
My comment regarding lack of sideline to sideline ability came from this board. That appears to be the opinion of some of your fans as well. You would know better than me. I don't profess to be an authority on the subject. Just saying, I got that comment from this board, then watched myself. I could be wrong.
He doesn't know much. He doesn't watch the game. He goes by what his computer tells him

Historically, NC State has knocked off ranked opponents at home. It is unexplainable and maybe an anomaly but from what I remember they seem to really outplay their opponents in the 4th quarter for some reason.
Clemson and FSU have had really good teams derailed at Carter Finley stadium

I disagree here. NC State is a good, team, they’ll win 8 games or so. Playing them in Raleigh matters. Just get back to South Bend w a win.
This is loser mentality.

If ND has a track record like Alabama, or OSU, or Georgia, or even present Michigan, it's fine to occasionally be in a dogfight with a team ranked in the mid 40s. But if you can't clearly demonstrate that you are the better team vs a mediocre NC State team then you yourself are mediocre.

But there's already a baked in excuse for Irish fans regardless of the performance in the game "b-b-but everybody gets up for the irish" or "NC State is really good" despite there being ZERO evidence for it.

Beat NC state handily and start earning some respect from pollsters/oddsmakers/computers/etc. or don't and continue the perpetuity of mediocrity at ND. But miss me with the built in excuses that ALWAYS exist among irish fans (propaganda spread by the university itself) to excuse away another year of a mediocre product.

Wtf?

Reactions: Golson5

NC State

Perhaps you should look at an 8 point spread and realize that maybe it isn't that easy to play in Raleigh. By the way, even when Clemson came to town in their recent heyday, 8 points was par for the course. 8 points is a lot on the road at NC State. You seem to be underestimating that. An 8 point spread is not a knock on ND. Raleigh is a tough place to play.

This is loser mentality.

If ND has a track record like Alabama, or OSU, or Georgia, or even present Michigan, it's fine to occasionally be in a dogfight with a team ranked in the mid 40s. But if you can't clearly demonstrate that you are the better team vs a mediocre NC State team then you yourself are mediocre.

But there's already a baked in excuse for Irish fans regardless of the performance in the game "b-b-but everybody gets up for the irish" or "NC State is really good" despite there being ZERO evidence for it.

Beat NC state handily and start earning some respect from pollsters/oddsmakers/computers/etc. or don't and continue the perpetuity of mediocrity at ND. But miss me with the built in excuses that ALWAYS exist among irish fans (propaganda spread by the university itself) to excuse away another year of a mediocre product.
NC State is not a mediocre team. They are not a 10 win team either. But they are 10 win team at home. I understand that is not reality, but it a fair assessment when analyzing one road game for your team. This will not be a blowout. 16 of last 17 were wins for State at home. You underestimate your competition. I agree that ND should and most likely will win, but to say if ND is any good they should blow them out on the road is not a fair assessment. If you win by 10, you guys are pretty damn good.

Reactions: graceh90
Perhaps you should look at an 8 point spread and realize that maybe it isn't that easy to play in Raleigh. By the way, even when Clemson came to town in their recent heyday, 8 points was par for the course. 8 points is a lot on the road at NC State. You seem to be underestimating that. An 8 point spread is not a knock on ND. Raleigh is a tough place to play.
You guys finished 47th in F+ last year, you are the definition of mediocre. You have the 40th ranked talent in the country. You are ranked 46th in F+ this year.

This would be an easy win for any playoff contending/nationally relevant power-program in the country.

NC State is not a mediocre team. They are not a 10 win team either. But they are 10 win team at home. I understand that is not reality, but it a fair assessment when analyzing one road game for your team. This will not be a blowout. 16 of last 17 were wins for State at home. You underestimate your competition. I agree that ND should and most likely will win, but to say if ND is any good they should blow them out on the road is not a fair assessment. If you win by 10, you guys are pretty damn good.
Do you think Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, or OSU fans would be satisfied and optimistic about their program if they beat NC state by 7-10 points?

You guys finished 47th in F+ last year, you are the definition of mediocre. You have the 40th ranked talent in the country. You are ranked 46th in F+ this year.

This would be an easy win for any playoff contending/nationally relevant power-program in the country.
No one cares about F-

It's awful at ranking teams

Some on this board seem to be obsessed with F+, I have never heard of it. State had their 4th string QB in half their games last year. They lost 3 Quarterbacks and still won 8 games. Let me know if you can even name your 4th string QB off the top of your head. Those rankings could not be more irrelevant. What was Marshall and Stanfords F+ last year? Lucky for you, Sam Hartman has played in Raleigh, and he will have your guys more ready than you are for this one. I love Sam Hartman. He is a quality person and a damn good player.

Some on this board seem to be obsessed with F+, I have never heard of it. State had their 4th string QB in half their games last year. They lost 3 Quarterbacks and still won 8 games. Let me know if you can even name your 4th string QB off the top of your head.
The ACC is a clown show conference. 8 wins vs an ACC slate is like winning the special olympics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT