ADVERTISEMENT

ND is making some very questionable hires

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
Why does a school like ND hire an OC with zero positive OC experience????

Man, I hope the guy is a great OC but….

Come on, are we really saying Parker was the best option????

ND has to spend money if they want to be a serious championship contender.

Reactions: Airzee23 and NDinNJ

Makes zero sense. I get not paying to have players come to play at ND, I get the academics, but to go cheap on the coaching is inexcusable.

Gino Guidugli​

QB coach and Passing Coordinator????

I don’t know man, I just don’t know????

ND has a staff filled with some very inexperienced guys. None have played a major roll at a major university.

Reactions: Airzee23
Makes zero sense. I get not paying to have players come to play at ND, I get the academics, but to go cheap on the coaching is inexcusable.
On paper, this looks very bad. No one on this board can defend these hires. I absolutely hope these guys succeed but none have a successful track record at their new positions.

Reactions: NDinNJ
On paper, this looks very bad. No one on this board can defend these hires. I absolutely hope these guys succeed but none have a successful track record at their new positions.
We all hope they succeed, I'm just shocked that ND is turning into a MAC program where inexperienced coaches go to cut their teeth.

We all hope they succeed, I'm just shocked that ND is turning into a MAC program where inexperienced coaches go to cut their teeth.
The HC, the CEO/COO, is responsible for selecting his staff.

Nick Saban selected Tommy Rees as his OC.

QED !

In all reality assistant coaches are not that big of a deal. Across the entire college football spectrum there's not much variation amongst assistants except for the extremely small percentage of the highly talented ones that end up climbing the ladder fast.

Ability to recruit > coaching ability for assistant coaches in college.

I dont fully agree here

We went 20 and 2 with Rees, Quinn and Del

I think Dino is a good hire at qb. I think he's probably an upgrade in qb development. Parker is still the TE coach and a good one. I expect the OL hire to be better than Quinn.

Im disappointedwith the way it went down but resetting the deck, I don't think these are bad hires

That's not true. Our QB coach is more successful in that job that TR was when he got hired
When a team hires a Oline coach, QB coach and an Offensive Coordinator, the OC should be the coach you first point to as a great hire. Unfortunately, that is the biggest question mark of all the hires.

I hope it’s a home run hire but…

As far as Gino, seems like the best of the 3.

When a team hires a Oline coach, QB coach and an Offensive Coordinator, the OC should be the coach you first point to as a great hire. Unfortunately, that is the biggest question mark of all the hires.

I hope it’s a home run hire but…

As far as Gino, seems like the best of the 3.
But it's not. Had AD not hired Rees before freeman, it's very possible that Gerard would have been the oc last year as well. He was the one guy that freeman insisted on, on the offensive side.

freeman has been high on Gerard since day one.

If there is now an issue between the admin and the staff, freeman needs to be surrounded by HIS GUYS. the hires show that he is bringing in people he has a personal relationship with.

We will all see if Gerard has play calling chops when the season comes, but let's not pretend that he wasn't on freeman's mind as a future oc anyways. It's earlier than expected, so freeman brought in a QB coach with play calling experience that he has a strong relationship with to help with the perceived weakness.

I think as fans many of us got wrapped up in the publicity and rumors of the ludwig fiasco, and are concentrating on what could have been vs what is.

Move on.

The HC, the CEO/COO, is responsible for selecting his staff.

Nick Saban selected Tommy Rees as his OC.

QED !
That's just asinine. Saban knows Bama will spend money to get what he needs. Look how many analysts and staffers they have. ND not so much if at all. ND refuses to spend money on top flight coaches. I feel bad for Freeman. I am worried about who they get as an O line coach now. Will they go cheap route on Freeman again? I do like having a QB coach and Freeman chose him. Hopefully he got a decent salary.

Reactions: Golson5
If these guys are compatible, working as a team towards a common goal, that is better than a group of self interested mercenaries. I like this new staff.

When is the last time ND hired an OC with extensive experience and track record? Please share the names.

How about Clark Lea? Barry Alvarez? Our two best Defensive Coordinators who have zero experience as coordinators. On the other hand Tenuta, BVG, Gary Darnell, Bob Davie, heck Foge Fazzio, all were busts.

Everyone is suddenly an expert on hiring assistants and predicting their results.

Fortunately, ND has Swarbrick and Jenkins to care about ND football and MF. Those two are the Castinellis [Reds owners]of ND. Cheap and cheaper.

Bullcrap

If MF got what he wanted, Ludwin and Harding would be here
Tell us how you know exactly what Freeman wanted and exactly why he didn’t get what he wanted. Please don’t spare any ….. and all of the details, enlighten us.

You’re a fraud !

Tell us how you know exactly what Freeman wanted and exactly why he didn’t get what he wanted. Please don’t spare any ….. and all of the details, enlighten us.

You’re a fraud !
I already did many times

That's just asinine. Saban knows Bama will spend money to get what he needs. Look how many analysts and staffers they have. ND not so much if at all. ND refuses to spend money on top flight coaches. I feel bad for Freeman. I am worried about who they get as an O line coach now. Will they go cheap route on Freeman again? I do like having a QB coach and Freeman chose him. Hopefully he got a decent salary.
So Alabama has no constraints on the money it can spend ?

Alabama is ready to throw their compensation structure for all of their other coaches into chaos just to get one coach.

Why weren’t you screaming to get ND to pay Kelly more ?
Why weren’t you screaming to get all of Kelly’s assistants more ?

State for a fact that you know that ND wouldn’t pay Ludwig’s buyout.
‘Go ahead and make that unequivocal statement !

You’re clueless !

Well, I was excited over the prospect of getting an experienced successful OC, specifically Ludwig as I have appreciated Utah style and toughness for years. But I also recognize that we see the occasional new young OC explode on the scene, and we can only hope that Parker proves to be one of these. We sure as hell don’t know if he can effectively game plan or make in game adjustments, and we’ll have next season to debate game by game, much as Rees was second guessed here by many on a weekly basis. I choose to put the Ludwig saga to bed and root for Parker and our new QB coach to give us exciting winning offensive football with the talent we have, and hope most of our debates next season are over whether we should have scored 49 points instead of 43! Go ☘️

So Alabama has no constraints on the money it can spend ?

Alabama is ready to throw their compensation structure for all of their other coaches into chaos just to get one coach.

Why weren’t you screaming to get ND to pay Kelly more ?
Why weren’t you screaming to get all of Kelly’s assistants more ?

State for a fact that you know that ND wouldn’t pay Ludwig’s buyout.
‘Go ahead and make that unequivocal statement !

You’re clueless !
bwaaaaa. You're egotistical and a think -I-KNOW-IT ALL type of person who always types in bold. Must be making up for some deficiencies.

Reactions: Chitown11
Well, I was excited over the prospect of getting an experienced successful OC, specifically Ludwig as I have appreciated Utah style and toughness for years. But I also recognize that we see the occasional new young OC explode on the scene, and we can only hope that Parker proves to be one of these. We sure as hell don’t know if he can effectively game plan or make in game adjustments, and we’ll have next season to debate game by game, much as Rees was second guessed here by many on a weekly basis. I choose to put the Ludwig saga to bed and root for Parker and our new QB coach to give us exciting winning offensive football with the talent we have, and hope most of our debates next season are over whether we should have scored 49 points instead of 43! Go ☘️
I’m joking but maybe Ludwig spilled the secret of life while they watched the hockey game. I think the QB coach hire with this promotion of Parker could be a very good combination. I do hope that we do not promote Watt to OL coach. If we get a very good OL coach, we have a lot of talented options for that coach to use.

The players love the guy
The players love the guy the coaches all think he is great he had an excellent and intensive interview process so why not hirer the guy you know that has worked in the Notre Dame system . He young and will work hard to prove our trust I’m happy with the hirer . I wanted a young guy and I love promoting from within - I’m all in and happy with the new OC coach

When is the last time ND hired an OC with extensive experience and track record? Please share the names.

How about Clark Lea? Barry Alvarez? Our two best Defensive Coordinators who have zero experience as coordinators. On the other hand Tenuta, BVG, Gary Darnell, Bob Davie, heck Foge Fazzio, all were busts.

Everyone is suddenly an expert on hiring assistants and predicting their results.
Nope, never claimed to be an expert. However, ND did go after guys with experience but were turned down.

I am not saying these are bad hires. I am saying they are questionable hires to say the least.

Clark followed Elko to like 4 different schools. He learned first hand how to run a defense.

Parker was mentored by who? To me, Parker was the 5th best option.

I am not saying Parker won’t be a great OC. I am simply h saying if ND got a DC with experience (Freeman and Golden) they could have hired an OC with similar experience.

The players love the guy
The players love the guy the coaches all think he is great he had an excellent and intensive interview process so why not hirer the guy you know that has worked in the Notre Dame system . He young and will work hard to prove our trust I’m happy with the hirer . I wanted a young guy and I love promoting from within - I’m all in and happy with the new OC coach
That is all great! I love hearing that but, why wasn’t he the first choice then?

Parker was an OC for two seasons. That's more experience than our last 4-5 OC hires.

Parker was an OC for two seasons. That's more experience than our last 4-5 OC hires.
Parker was WV OC in 2020 then
Graham Harrell was hired and took over play calling

Either way, jury is still out. It’s a wait and see situation. He was bad as an OC at WV in 2020-21 season

Either way, jury is still out. It’s a wait and see situation. He was bad as an OC at WV in 2020-21 season
You watched a lot of West Virginia football that year? Who were your favorite players? Tell us about their offensive tendencies? Enlighten us all with your vast knowledge of Coach Parker’s exploits as a failed offensive coordinator, please.

Nope, never claimed to be an expert. However, ND did go after guys with experience but were turned down.

I am not saying these are bad hires. I am saying they are questionable hires to say the least.

Clark followed Elko to like 4 different schools. He learned first hand how to run a defense.

Parker was mentored by who? To me, Parker was the 5th best option.

I am not saying Parker won’t be a great OC. I am simply h saying if ND got a DC with experience (Freeman and Golden) they could have hired an OC with similar experience.
By your logic Parker should be the next Norm Chow, having studied under Graham Harrell and the unequaled Thomas Rees.

The blame at West Virginia regarding the offense in 2020 and 2021 was not all on Gerad Parker. The QB situation in Morgantown was below average, and the Head Coach Neal Brown dictated to Parker what he wanted called.

People (especially feces throwing ND message boarders) are completely numb to how powerful chemistry and culture are to the success of an organization. Parker is no spring chicken in the coaching world. He has the respect of the players and will preach what Freeman preaches when Freeman is not in the room. That’s a big reason Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson all have the success that they do.

Reactions: NDinNJ
The negative nabobs on this board will not be quiet unless we drop 50 points on Navy, 100 on Tennessee State and at least 35 on each of our remaining opponents. In my time, one might have questioned Ara hiring a high school coach (Joe Yonto) as his defensive line coach. That turned out pretty well. Go Irish

Head coach ran that offense, not Parker

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT