ADVERTISEMENT

Wasn't Marcus Freeman hired because of his recruiting, likability with players, more player centric culture, etc.?

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Just weird that MF is having so much trouble with recruiting, keeping players, etc. when you consider that many were sold on the idea that if nothing else goes right with this hire at least Freeman will recruit better than his predecessor and create an attractive culture that 17-23 year olds wanted to be apart of.

After 2 years i'd say i'm pretty disappointed with that aspect of the Freeman era.

Freeman seems to be doing a decent job so far as a program executive: Saying the right ND-man things, running a seemingly clean program, making some solid hires, developing some good players, producing a solid ND like product, etc. but struggling with attracting/retaining talent just as much as the last regime was if not more.

Just weird that MF is having so much trouble with recruiting, keeping players, etc. when you consider that many were sold on the idea that if nothing else goes right with this hire at least Freeman will recruit better than his predecessor and create an attractive culture that 17-23 year olds wanted to be apart of.

After 2 years i'd say i'm pretty disappointed with that aspect of the Freeman era.

Freeman seems to be doing a decent job so far as a program executive: Saying the right ND-man things, running a seemingly clean program, making some solid hires, developing some good players, producing a solid ND like product, etc. but struggling with attracting/retaining talent just as much as the last regime was if not more.
Weren’t you extolling the virtues of Prime back in September? Upping the vibe…/. Bringing the swagger…/. Taking receipts…/.

He's not having recruiting problems lol

Coach Prime to Coach Freeman: Hold my beer.

It’s okay to say yesterday was NOT a good day for ND football. Every criticism of the program comes off as a personal attack on Freeman. It’s not. The scholarship chart shows ND has enough players, and actually needed to make some decisions to reduce the amount of players to make room for the incoming guys in the portal.

But the place ND could NOT afford to lose anyone was at WR. This whole situation is a complete mess, ND is looking at having 4 scholarship WR available for the Bowl Game. That includes Frosh KK Smith who hasn’t played all year. The sky isn’t falling, but those who say “oh heck no big deal, it happens everywhere” are being complete Pollyannas or Freeman sycophants.

ND needs to hire a WR coach asap, and now needs to grab 3 WR in the portal, hold on to the 3 HS commitments, and retain JT, Faison, Greathouse and KK Smith. That gets you to 10. Assuming Colzie & Flores are gone.

Then Freeman needs figure out what happened in that room, learn from it, and never let it happen again.

Seriously, if it doesn’t directly come from the coach or a player, everything on here is speculation and or opinion. I have no idea what is or isn’t going on with Freeman or the team. People are saying all kinds of things. Most if not all is unfounded. It’s ridiculous. Look, was the last two year’s disappointing ? I would say yes. But was it god awful? Hell no. 9-4 last year, 9-3 now and maybe 10-3 to finish. Ok , not stellar but it not horrible either. Yet all these posts about Freeman being this or that. It doesn’t serve any helpful discussion. I don’t mind being critical. Freeman is a grown man and there is plenty to criticize. However, there is also plenty to like. It’s going to take time. He is only in year 2. Let’s just see how this goes. I am not predicting one way or another. I will be open minded and watch as his tenure unfolds. Whatever happens, I still be an Irish fan no matter what. MF is their coach and I for one hope he succeeds.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT