ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Freeman: More of a grinder than a high charisma guy IMO

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
When Marcus Freeman was hired we saw a good looking, in shape, young coach, with a nice smile, and just assumed this guy was a high charismatic guy. But I don't really see high charisma in his personality. He's a pretty serious guy, who doesn't really joke around or anything. I think he has success on the recruiting trail from grinding/working hard, more than just having this super magnetic personality that young players want to be around.

His press conferences are unwatchable because he gives ZERO insight into himself or the program. And you can tell he doesn't really like the spotlight.

Just some random observations following Marcus Freeman so far.

When Marcus Freeman was hired we saw a good looking, in shape, young coach, with a nice smile, and just assumed this guy was a high charismatic guy. But I don't really see high charisma in his personality. He's a pretty serious guy, who doesn't really joke around or anything. I think he has success on the recruiting trail from grinding/working hard, more than just having this super magnetic personality that young players want to be around.

His press conferences are unwatchable because he gives ZERO insight into himself or the program. And you can tell he doesn't really like the spotlight.

Recruits and parents say otherwise

I think he is both

Reactions: NDinNJ
During pre game warmups on the field, he goes to each player and encourages them. Not many coaches do that. Judging by his recruiting efforts i believe he is charismatic as well in his own way.

I hope he is both. He is the most likable coach in my lifetime. I can’t imagine anyone thinking he isn’t charismatic. I think his personality is almost certainly what got him the job.

He will need to prove his work ethic over time, but I like what I’m hearing so far

When Brian Kelly was here, the OP criticized him relentlessly. Now he doesn't think Marcus Freeman has enough charisma. Maybe the problem is with the OP.
At least this is better than his "F+" thread last night, which was garbage.

• Haha
Reactions: irishalice
I hope he is both. He is the most likable coach in my lifetime. I can’t imagine anyone thinking he isn’t charismatic. I think his personality is almost certainly what got him the job.

He will need to prove his work ethic over time, but I like what I’m hearing so far
Right. I guess if you want to get semantical about the word 'charisma'. Is he 'charismatic" like some sort of political demagogue or cult leader, like Jim Jones or Juan Peron? No.

But is he a handsome, youthful, bright-eyed, refreshingly boyish young coach, etc, etc, etc..... And charismatic in that sort of everyday sense of the word? Yes, definitely. And I would agree that's absolutely and very obviously a huge part of his appeal, and indeed why ND would be willing to take a chance on him. On account of possessing all those enviable character traits. Whereas his pure coaching resume alone probably wouldn't have gotten him the job.

But that sort of superficial appeal can fade. And the pressure and daily grind of the job can sap a coach of his outward enthusiasm and exuberance. I don't watch any of the pressers so I don't know how dour he is or not on the dais.....

He is basically the Steven Covey of the modern CFB landscape and this OP is challenging of all things his charisma?

I guess You can’t input the 7 habits of highly successful coaching into an algorithm

If only the the outcome of MF interactions with the people who will impact NDs future could be measured in some superficial way

He is basically the Steven Covey of the modern CFB landscape and this OP is challenging of all things his charisma?

I guess You can’t input the 7 habits of highly successful coaching into an algorithm

If only the the outcome of MF interactions with the people who will impact NDs future could be measured in some superficial way
This isn't really a criticism but more an observation. A lot of what you read about MF is his youth and charisma but I see an old soul with more of stoic personality who is all-business than a magnetic high energy personality like a steve spurrier/herm edwards/mike leach/etc.

Last edited:

You couldn't be more wrong. MF has charisma is large amounts.....listen to anyone who he has worked, the recruits, the recruits parents, the media, etc. I love his press conferences.....he is a genuine, authentic leader which is very rare these days. You think Leach is charismatic? LMAO. That's called quirky. I'm not sure you have much of a grasp of what charisma really is. Freeman definitely HAS IT.

You couldn't be more wrong. MF has charisma is large amounts.....listen to anyone who he has worked, the recruits, the recruits parents, the media, etc. I love his press conferences.....he is a genuine, authentic leader which is very rare these days. You think Leach is charismatic? LMAO. That's called quirky. I'm not sure you have much of a grasp of what charisma really is. Freeman definitely HAS IT.
The Mike Leach reference by the OP was odd. Not even worth commenting on.

Good post.

I hope he is a “grinder”. He’s likable and is an elite recruiter, so if he’s a grinder, all the better.

looks and sounds like a gentleman / good enough for me!

Freeman is way too humble to be the kind of guy that reeks charisma in front of a TV camera or in A large group setting. His charisma is more evident in how he connects with individuals based on his authenticity as a person, a humble man of faith, who honestly loves and cares for his players and totally embraces what ND represents and what it offers. Based on his resume and some of the hype, I expected him to be more flash than substance, and the exact opposite is true. And as Chase suggests, his work ethic is off the charts.

Marcus is a bright young coach. The guy is adjusting on the fly. I noticed his mannerisms on the sideline have changed. He gets on the officials more. And he lets his team know to hurry on offense when he wants them to. His recruiting is so much better then Kelly's. The fact that he is involved with every recruit makes this so. Lord let's give him a season.

Freeman is way too humble to be the kind of guy that reeks charisma in front of a TV camera or in A large group setting. His charisma is more evident in how he connects with individuals based on his authenticity as a person, a humble man of faith, who honestly loves and cares for his players and totally embraces what ND represents and what it offers. Based on his resume and some of the hype, I expected him to be more flash than substance, and the exact opposite is true. And as Chase suggests, his work ethic is off the charts.
What are you talking about, you're hero-worshipping the dude, which is to be expected from someone like yourself. No surprises there. But don't then say he isn't charismatic. You are slavishly fawning over him, which is really the only trait that makes someone charismatic. That's what charisma is, the ability to make your followers over you, without respect to one's specific character traits.

MF is handsome, warm, young and sprightly, with the prototypical boyish good looks and charm. That's why he might casually be labeled as 'charismatic' If you want to follow him around like a disciple, and shower him with excessive or undue praise and worship, then you will endow him with that other kind of charisma. Charisma, of course, as a thing, says far more about the worshippers than the worshipped. It is a measure and reflection of the masses, not the leader. But as I said, for guys like you, totally to be expected.

And to think, the only and I mean THE ONLY REASON someone like MF would ever come in for any sort of worshipful or abject adoration from ND's fanbase, or at least certain sizable elements of it, is him being him on the rebound of the legitimate hate-figure that was Brian Kelly. The Yin to his Yang or whatnot. That is the true source and driver of any 'charisma' MF might possess.....

Reactions: SouthFloridaIrish88
I'm just thankful he's our coach. Yes, he is learning to be a HC on the job and Marshall/Stanford are a reflection of that. But he is a class act who can recruit (not since Lou have we seen #2 in '23, #1 in '24 in this crazy NIL environment!) Thanks Coach, now go win two more and finish this class!

What are you talking about, you're hero-worshipping the dude, which is to be expected from someone like yourself. No surprises there. But don't then say he isn't charismatic. You are slavishly fawning over him, which is really the only trait that makes someone charismatic. That's what charisma is, the ability to make your followers over you, without respect to one's specific character traits.

MF is handsome, warm, young and sprightly, with the prototypical boyish good looks and charm. That's why he might casually be labeled as 'charismatic' If you want to follow him around like a disciple, and shower him with excessive or undue praise and worship, then you will endow him with that other kind of charisma. Charisma, of course, as a thing, says far more about the worshippers than the worshipped. It is a measure and reflection of the masses, not the leader. But as I said, for guys like you, totally to be expected.

And to think, the only and I mean THE ONLY REASON someone like MF would ever come in for any sort of worshipful or abject adoration from ND's fanbase, or at least certain sizable elements of it, is him being him on the rebound of the legitimate hate-figure that was Brian Kelly. The Yin to his Yang or whatnot. That is the true source and driver of any 'charisma' MF might possess.....
disagree; I think the thinkin* fan separates the two when evaluating or forming an opinion. And BK will eventually become BK wherever he is; and jmo, that ain’t admirable.

Perhaps you aren’t the target audience of his charisma. Ask recruits and their parents . Ask donors. Ask the faculty. Ask the student body. Be in a room when he walks in. My understanding is he has a huge positive presence on campus.

That's just a personal opinion. He may not be your cup of tea but his personality certainly seems to resonate quite well with pretty much everyone else across the board.

*** Did Tom Landry have a supermagnetic personality ? What about Andy Reid? Or Nick Saban ?

ADVERTISEMENT