ADVERTISEMENT

Dangerous Post prior to a big game

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
I'm still all in on MF.

I think we have someone with all the intangibles. I think he is learning on the job, and we all knew that would be the case. ND is not for first time coaches, not even for most experienced.

Freeman brings positive press, a player's perspective, part of championship teams. He brings a family man, a connection to players and recruits. He does make mistakes. Not kicking FG's when you take the points (Stanford). He sayst things at press conferences (We dont check out of disasters, we exeute the play better). All those get cleaned up with time.

I posted this before, Kirby Smart looked lost his first 4 years. He looks like a top coach in year 6+. What was the difference between those? RECRUITING. Good assistants.

As much as Al Golden has a complex scheme which keeps younger talent off the field, the defense has kept us in every game. Parker is new and failing. He has the Tommy Rees 1 yard TE dive play. Why on 3rd and one do we hand the ball to a RB 5 yards deep. Go to a wildcat with Tyree if your going to do that or Love. Someone who has some cut and slipperiness to them.

MF brought in a top QB. What he missed was the receiving side. He had to land Edwards or go to the portal for speed and hands. Sam Hartman didnt miss two balls in peoples hand for a TD and in scoring territory. Sam put the ball there. We have nobody to catch them. So they are basically using Sam to hand off.

Parker needs to learn much faster or you have to go get an OC. Hell, go to the pro's. What player would not want to play for MF and run a pro-style O and D? The NFL should just be talking about how ND has players ready as they run basically our offense.

I never coached offense, i did play guard. But if I'm parker, I'm watching every snap of an Andy Reid called game or a Doug Peterson called game and making that my game plan against USC.

I'm still all in on MF.

I think we have someone with all the intangibles. I think he is learning on the job, and we all knew that would be the case. ND is not for first time coaches, not even for most experienced.

Freeman brings positive press, a player's perspective, part of championship teams. He brings a family man, a connection to players and recruits. He does make mistakes. Not kicking FG's when you take the points (Stanford). He sayst things at press conferences (We dont check out of disasters, we exeute the play better). All those get cleaned up with time.

I posted this before, Kirby Smart looked lost his first 4 years. He looks like a top coach in year 6+. What was the difference between those? RECRUITING. Good assistants.

As much as Al Golden has a complex scheme which keeps younger talent off the field, the defense has kept us in every game. Parker is new and failing. He has the Tommy Rees 1 yard TE dive play. Why on 3rd and one do we hand the ball to a RB 5 yards deep. Go to a wildcat with Tyree if your going to do that or Love. Someone who has some cut and slipperiness to them.

MF brought in a top QB. What he missed was the receiving side. He had to land Edwards or go to the portal for speed and hands. Sam Hartman didnt miss two balls in peoples hand for a TD and in scoring territory. Sam put the ball there. We have nobody to catch them. So they are basically using Sam to hand off.

Parker needs to learn much faster or you have to go get an OC. Hell, go to the pro's. What player would not want to play for MF and run a pro-style O and D? The NFL should just be talking about how ND has players ready as they run basically our offense.

I never coached offense, i did play guard. But if I'm parker, I'm watching every snap of an Andy Reid called game or a Doug Peterson called game and making that my game plan against USC.
When you have a Patrick Mahomes or a Caleb Williams in CFB, calling plays is far easier.

Pro’s usually spread you out. Too hard to run into 9. Can you imagine a play action on one of those 3rd and 1?

Reactions: BGI User 756
I'm still all in on MF.

Great post!!! From someone who understands... players perspective!

Reactions: Nailsbulls
I'm still all in on MF.

So your idea as to what makes a good coach is one who is learning on the job.

Is that also your definition of what makes a good pilot ?

How about a good surgeon ?

Keep your day job

Not ideal, but this isn’t really Brain Surgery now is it?

You sound like the UGA fans after year two. I don’t remember Lou winning in Y2.

The biggest problem a young coach has is they don’t have a great network. So tough to pick up the phone.

He played under Tressel, he coached under Fickle and Kelly. He is recruiting his ass off.

Yea, he whiffed on an OC. That’s just the experience. He didn’t whiff on a DC. We have a top D.

I’d give him 4 years and see where this goes. We gave BK 10 years and he didn’t get it done.

Turned out to not be such a dangerous post! GO IRISH!!

Freeman is 1, top 10 win away from tying what BK did in 10 years.

Are you out of your mind ?

Last night we only beat a team ranked 10th or 11th

Its just math PA. BK was 3-8 against teams ranked in the top 10. MF is now 2-4 against teams ranked in the top 10.

Stay with me here, some complex calculus coming your way.

3-2 = 1.

Marcus Freeman was also one player short on defense coming out of a timeout against Ohio St., with the game on the line. We could throw out stats all day.

Solid post. I don't agree with Tyree at wildcat tho. He has NOT lived up to the hype, not even close.
I cringe every time he takes a punt. When he does run one ,he goes straight at the defense instead of cutting up the sideline as Branch did. Thank goodness for the smarts of Price on the kickoff.

Not ideal, but this isn’t really Brain Surgery now is it?

You sound like the UGA fans after year two. I don’t remember Lou winning in Y2.

The biggest problem a young coach has is they don’t have a great network. So tough to pick up the phone.

He played under Tressel, he coached under Fickle and Kelly. He is recruiting his ass off.

Yea, he whiffed on an OC. That’s just the experience. He didn’t whiff on a DC. We have a top D.

I’d give him 4 years and see where this goes. We gave BK 10 years and he didn’t get it done.
BK didn’t get it done ?

He’s the winningest coach in ND history, he had two undefeated seasons and he had his teams vying for the National Championship three times in a 10 year period.

The notion that a coach is a failure if he doesn’t win the National Championship is absurd and similar to the claim that a QB isn’t great unless he wins a Super Bowl.
Dan Marino being exhibit “A”

You don’t hire an inexperienced assistant coach as your HC hoping that he’ll gain experience during his tenure. What’s astounding is that ND chose that path on more than a few occasions with horrible results.

While we all wish MF the utmost success, poor coaching decisions in a critical game with OSU probably cost ND the opportunity to make the CFP this year.

• Angry
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT