ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame football elevates walk-on safety Luke Talich to full scholarship

I'm trying to witness a national title before I die and this ain't the way

Every 85 man roster spot is extremely valuable to the organization

How are we supposed to compete with the best teams in the country when we always have a handful of spots on the back end of the roster to hand out schollies to low impact players?

We need to be 3-5 deep at every position with high upside prospects waiting in the wings for their shot.

We can't even fill out our 85 man roster most years.

Last edited:
Called it. He is on the rise.

He had a full ride to Utah. They know what they’re looking for in defensive guys. I’ll say it for the third time. He will be a starter by the time he leaves ND - (May 2023)
Hard hitting walk on picking up a free ride.

He had a full ride to Utah. They know what they’re looking for in defensive guys. I’ll say it for the third time. He will be a starter by the time he leaves ND - (May 2023)
I agree. Kid has speed and loves to hit. He should be a special teams standout this year.

How are we supposed to compete with the best teams in the country when we always have a handful of spots on the back end of the roster to hand out schollies to low impact players?

We need to be 3-5 deep at every position with high upside prospects waiting in the wings for their shot.

This is beyond stupid

He will be in the competition for the 3rd safety spot this year

And he'll be on all the special teams units

Great story....props to the kid and the ND football program!

He will be in the competition for the 3rd safety spot this year

And he'll be on all the special teams units
Who will be in front of him?

Also, do you mean 1st guy off the bench to step into either Safety role?

Pardon my ignorance, but I don’t know enough to understand if ND plays with the traditional Strong and Free Safeties that have different roles and responsibilities.

He is a great kid with a great story. In this day of NIL, the transfer portal, and kids and coaches moving around at will, I'd like to think there is still room in college football for kids with this kind of determination and perseverance. He was willing to believe in his dream. Well done, Luke.

Pardon my ignorance, but I don’t know enough to understand if ND plays with the traditional Strong and Free Safeties that have different roles and responsibilities.
I’m kinda shooting from the hip here, but I believe our base defense typically has 2 safeties. Last year that was primarily Watts & Brown. I believe more hybrid players come in for certain offensive formations and situations.

I believe the early indication is certainly Watts as the #1 safety, and then possibly Shuler as the new #2, but I certainly wouldn’t be shocked if Talich jumps into that #2 spot.

I’m tired of the Chase bashing every player that isn’t a high 4star or 5star recruit. Every team starts players that aren’t high recruits. One of the most productive receivers in football next year will be Ladd McConkey, Chase would’ve been tearing him apart if he committed to ND as an unranked 3 star.

I realize he’s an outlier low recruit, but there’s even more high 4star kids who never pan out as well.

Reactions: IrishMike409

Actually I called it first😁😁😁semi kidding.. happy for the young man.. has the speed and measurable to be really good!!! Agreed on the starting position for him!!!!

I meant he'll be battling for 1st guy off the bench

Watts is our number 1 safety. I expect Heard or Shuler to win the job opposite of him

The loser of that will battle Talich for the first safety off the bench

So much of what you post is baseless. When Notre Dame gets a commitment from a player that's anything below a high 4-star or 5-star you bitch about a "wasted scholly". Have you ever heard of a thing called "development"?

You constantly disparage Notre Dame's rankings in the recruiting wars, saying that because they're not in the top two or three they have no chance. Well, let's just take a look at how Michigan has done the previous four years leading up to their recent NC, shall we?

2020 - 11th
2021 - 10th
2022 - 9th
2023 - 19th

How did they win the Natty? With those rankings they might as well just have handed the trophy over to an SEC powerhouse.

I’m tired of the Chase bashing every player that isn’t a high 4star or 5star recruit. Every team starts players that aren’t high recruits. One of the most productive receivers in football next year will be Ladd McConkey, Chase would’ve been tearing him apart if he committed to ND as an unranked 3 star.

I realize he’s an outlier low recruit, but there’s even more high 4star kids who never pan out as well.
I'm tired of people not understanding the nuance in the points that I make.

some 3 stars will hit, some 4 stars and 5 stars will not hit. But on aggregate 5 stars hit a lot more than 4 stars, and 4 stars hit more than 3 stars, etc. so naturally you want your organization to sign as many of the highest rated prospects as possible.

Also, ND is way behind the tier 1 right now in comparative talent, and the roster in general is SORELY LACKING HIGH UPSIDE/IMPACT TALENT. And signing more 3-stars at the expense of higher rated prospects only perpetuates their current standing in the college football hierarchy as a tier 2-3 team. If there was a healthier mix of higher rated prospects in the organization, the occasional 3-star system fit, or 3-star project-guy, or over-achieving walk-on-turned-scholarship-player would be a welcome addition for sure.

Last edited:
So much of what you post is baseless. When Notre Dame gets a commitment from a player that's anything below a high 4-star or 5-star you bitch about a "wasted scholly". Have you ever heard of a thing called "development"?

You constantly disparage Notre Dame's rankings in the recruiting wars, saying that because they're not in the top two or three they have no chance. Well, let's just take a look at how Michigan has done the previous four years leading up to their recent NC, shall we?

2020 - 11th
2021 - 10th
2022 - 9th
2023 - 19th

How did they win the Natty? With those rankings they might as well just have handed the trophy over to an SEC powerhouse.
I've answered this about a half a dozen times already:

Jim Harbaugh, future hall of famer head coach, there's not many of them out there. We haven't found one since the 1980s while having the brand and resources to hire almost anybody we want

The Michigan model is a huge outlier. If we try to replicate their model (hall of fame coach developing lesser rated prospects into a national title contending juggernaut) we'll be waiting a lifetime for another national title at Notre Dame.

The best way ND can increase their odds of winning a national title is by not allowing a handful of programs to out-recruit them to the extent that it renders NDs roster an equivalent to a minor league (which is happening right now and has been happening at ND since Weis left).

Last edited:

Jim Harbaugh, future hall of famer head coach, there's not many of them out there. We haven't found one since the 1980s while having the brand and resources to hire almost anybody we want

The Michigan model is a huge outlier. If we try to replicate their model (hall of fame coach developing lesser rated prospects into a national title contending juggernaut) we'll be waiting a lifetime for another national title at Notre Dame.

The best way ND can increase their odds of winning a national title is by not allowing a handful of programs to out-recruit them to the extent that it renders NDs roster an equivalent to a minor league (which is happening right now and has been happening at ND since Weis left).
This team is more talented top to bottom than any Weis team

Reactions: bizzybecknd

Do you mean out-pay other programs for players? That’s what it may come down to and I’d rather not see ND do that.

I'm tired of people not understanding the nuance in the points that I make.

some 3 stars will hit, some 4 stars and 5 stars will not hit. But on aggregate 5 stars hit a lot more than 4 stars, and 4 stars hit more than 3 stars, etc. so naturally you want your organization to sign as many of the highest rated prospects as possible.

Also, ND is way behind the tier 1 right now in comparative talent, and the roster in general is SORELY LACKING HIGH UPSIDE/IMPACT TALENT. And signing more 3-stars at the expense of higher rated prospects only perpetuates their current standing in the college football hierarchy as a tier 2-3 team. If there was a healthier mix of higher rated prospects in the organization, the occasional 3-star system fit, or 3-star project-guy, or over-achieving walk-on-turned-scholarship-player would be a welcome addition for sure.
Luke Talich was a 3 star with PAC 12 offers and was higher rated than a Georgia signee from this year.

He's not some overachiever unranked walk on

This team is more talented top to bottom than any Weis team
This team is more developed, has a better coaching staff, better scheme, better system, etc. than Weis' teams. But from a pure raw talent standpoint, not even close.

This team is more developed, has a better coaching staff, better scheme, better system, etc. than Weis' teams. But from a pure raw talent standpoint, not even close.
Top to bottom easily more talented

High end talent, to be determined

Top to bottom easily more talented

High end talent, to be determined
You act like we don't have a database to compare the numbers. Its not close, especially at the top-end.

Weis' classes/talent from 2006-2009 (the 4 classes he was fully responsible for) smokes anything ND has accomplished from a pure talent-acquisition standpoint since he left.

Do you mean out-pay other programs for players? That’s what it may come down to and I’d rather not see ND do that.
ND is already out-paying other programs for players. Both of their QB acquisitions via the transfer-portal came with NIL guarantees in the 6-7 figure range. It's a bad strategy though on a roster that lacks upside. These guys are high floor, low upside players to match the rest of the make up of the talent on NDs roster right now.

I'd rather ND just pay that kind of money to raw-undeveloped talent in order to secure their LOI. Raw talent has way more upside than 4th or 5th year guys who are stuck in between the FBS and NFL levels.

You act like we don't have a database to compare the numbers. Its not close, especially at the top-end.

Weis' classes/talent from 2006-2009 (the 4 classes he was fully responsible for) smokes anything ND has accomplished from a pure talent-acquisition standpoint since he left.
There were 2 recruiting sites then. Now there is 4. No bumps nowadays for being Notre Dame. Back then there was

And the recruiting sites are much better at evaluating players now.

I watched those teams play against the top teams and they looked slow and just couldn't compete talent wise. The DL was small and not as athletic. The corners weren't nearly as talented

I watched this team vs Ohio State and there was barely any difference between the 2 teams. The only big difference in talent was their wrs were way better than ours

This team is much more talented top to bottom than those teams were

ND is already out-paying other programs for players. Both of their QB acquisitions via the transfer-portal came with NIL guarantees in the 6-7 figure range. It's a bad strategy though on a roster that lacks upside. These guys are high floor, low upside players to match the rest of the make up of the talent on NDs roster right now.

I'd rather ND just pay that kind of money to raw-undeveloped talent in order to secure their LOI. Raw talent has way more upside than 4th or 5th year guys who are stuck in between the FBS and NFL levels.
You dont follow football much, do you?

Riley Leonard is high upside, much lower floor than Hartman. He has 1st round upside

And Deuce Knight is a high of an upside as you can possibly see in recruiting. Carr is a stud

Way off again

There were 2 recruiting sites then. Now there is 4. No bumps nowadays for being Notre Dame. Back then there was

And the recruiting sites are much better at evaluating players now.

I watched those teams play against the top teams and they looked slow and just couldn't compete talent wise. The DL was small and not as athletic. The corners weren't nearly as talented

I watched this team vs Ohio State and there was barely any difference between the 2 teams. The only big difference in talent was their wrs were way better than ours

This team is much more talented top to bottom than those teams were
I think NDs ability to compete with OSU the last few times they've played has more to do with Ryan Day's limitations as a head coach than anything else. Look at teams with great coaches loaded with OSUs talent (like the juggernauts in the SEC over the last decade).

There was Rivals, Scout (which is now part of 247), and ESPN back then. This was around the time these sites were pouring tons of resources into scouting/evaluating high school prospects. It was a while ago, and the industry has evolved quite a bit since then, and theoretically it makes sense that these sites are more accurate today, but having less accurate information is better than no information. We have nothing else to go off of.

Last edited:
You dont follow football much, do you?

Riley Leonard is high upside, much lower floor than Hartman. He has 1st round upside

And Deuce Knight is a high of an upside as you can possibly see in recruiting. Carr is a stud

Way off again
You're shooting from the hip, I'm going off of transfer portal player rankings at 247. You know the evaluations done by their team of experts.

Both Riley Leonard and Sam Hartman were both the top transfer portal players at QB, but are still low to mid 4 stars in the transfer portal player rankings at the time of their transfers. These guys are giving you a veteran at the position on a 1 year rental. If your team isn't good enough to compete for a national title, these players are a waste of development capital and a waste of money.

And Deuce Knight and Carr are nice high 4-star (top 50ish type talents), but nowhere near the level of prospect that Clausen and Crist were (Clausen the #1 overall composite player in his class, and Crist a composite 5-star and the #1 rated QB in his class at the time of his signing)

Last edited:
I think NDs ability to compete with OSU the last few times they've played has more to do with Zach Day's limitations as a head coach than anything else. Look at teams with great coaches loaded with OSUs talent (like the juggernauts in the SEC over the last decade).

There was Rivals, Scout (which is now part of 247), and ESPN back then. This was around the time these sites were pouring tons of resources into scouting/evaluating high school prospects. It was a while ago, and the industry has evolved quite a bit since then, and theoretically it makes sense that these sites are more accurate today, but having less accurate information is better than no information. We have nothing else to go off of.
You dont need to have to go off anything if you watched the games.

I'm not talking about the score of the OSU game. I'm talking about watch it a a talent evaluator. The only position we lacked compared to them was WR.

There was never one time like in the past I used to always say: We are way too small and too slow to compete with OSU and the elites. We weren't. We are close talent wise pretty much across the board. WR is the only glaring hole that was on the roster

And that matches up with the talent composite that 247 uses. We were 5th in per player average and it shows in the actual game because we didn't take a backseat to OSU pretty much at all

You're shooting from the hip, I'm going off of transfer portal player rankings at 247. You know the evaluations done by their team of experts.

Both Riley Leonard and Sam Hartman were both the top transfer portal players at QB, but are still low to mid 4 stars in the transfer portal player rankings at the time of their transfers. These guys are giving you a veteran at the position on a 1 year rental. If your team isn't good enough to compete for a national title, these players are a waste of development capital and a waste of money.

And Deuce Knight and Carr are nice 4-star top 40-75 overall prospects for sure, but nowhere near the level of prospect that Clausen and Crist were (Clausen the #1 overall composite player in his class, and Crist a 5-star top 5 QB prospect overall)
Riley Leonard spent last year as a mock 1st rd draft pick til he basically snapped his ankle and was never the same.

He's nothing like Hartman if you follow the game. He's 6'4" 215lbs who is more athletic and has a bigger arm.

He is high upside, lower floor. Because he had way less experience and stats than Hartman did. Also Hartman was in year 6 and Leonard is year 4

I'm not shooting at the hip, I actually watch the game

Also, Deuce Knight is a freak of nature and CJ Carr is a stud. Dame Crist should never have been ranked that high or of high school. You fell into the trap of believing what they tell you. He was a really good hs prospect but should never have been treated that high

And Deuce Knight and Carr are nice high 4-star (top 50ish type talents), but nowhere near the level of prospect that Clausen and Crist were (Clausen the #1 overall composite player in his class, and Crist a 5-star top 5 QB prospect overall)
You're using the 247 transfer portal rankings as your end all be all

So explain this to me, why did 247 rank Hartman as a transfer QB much higher than both Michael Penix and Bo Nix

If they are so great, why did they make that huge mistake?

Nix and Penix will go in the 1st or 2nd rd and Hartman maybe 6th or later

Either pick a better ranking or actually watch the players yourself.

Because just going by the rankings they are saying Leonard is better than both of those first round guys

You're using the 247 transfer portal rankings as your end all be all

So explain this to me, why did 247 rank Hartman as a transfer QB much higher than both Michael Penix and Bo Nix

If they are so great, why did they make that huge mistake?

Nix and Penix will go in the 1st or 2nd rd and Hartman maybe 6th or later

Either pick a better ranking or actually watch the players yourself.

Because just going by the rankings they are saying Leonard is better than both of those first round guys
I'm using the best evidence/information that is available to us. I'm not a professional like the teams in the recruiting industry that run these sites. My opinion would only be an amateur one (with a heavy amount of bias).

The talent-evaluators don't always get it right of course, but on aggregate they are far more accurate than your --or my-- individual opinion would ever be.

Last edited:
I'm using the best evidence/information that is available to us. I'm not a professional like the teams in the recruiting industry that run these sites. My opinion would only be an amateur one (with a heavy amount of bias).

The talent-evaluators don't always get it right of course, but on aggregate they are far more accurate than your --or my-- individual opinion would ever be.
Theyve been doing transfer portal rankings for like 3 years and they are wrong all the time with it.

I dont agree at all what you are saying. And you're bias would be anti ND.

Use the 247 ranking as 1 tool. It's not end all be all. Use your eyes as well if you any evaluation skills. You probably don't.

Lets see who is more accurate on this ranking, me or the evaluators. I say Leonard will be much better than Hartman was. And they will be wrong again with their QB rankings like they've shown to be already

Reactions: IrishMike409

You act like we don’t have the real/hard data from the 2006-2009 classes, not a guess by recruiting sites. Talent was mediocre at best

Theyve been doing transfer portal rankings for like 3 years and they are wrong all the time with it.

I dont agree at all what you are saying. And you're bias would be anti ND.

Use the 247 ranking as 1 tool. It's not end all be all. Use your eyes as well if you any evaluation skills. You probably don't.

Lets see who is more accurate on this ranking, me or the evaluators. I say Leonard will be much better than Hartman was. And they will be wrong again with their QB rankings like they've shown to be already
Yep look at USC. I believe they were 1 or 2 in the portal in 2023. Went 7-5

I love these kind of stories

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT