ADVERTISEMENT

NBC - what were ND tv ratings yesterday ?

IrishBlessings

ND Expert
Jun 25, 2013
Does anybody know what the NBC TV ratings were yesterday ? Cant be all that great. NBC is probably wishing they hadnt agreed to the long term extension.

Reactions: end_23
I do believe that a prolonged sojourn into the substandard football wilderness will eventually erode national interest, which would in turn affect the national TV contract, which would in turn affect ND's ability to remain independent. I think being a national power in football guarantees the revenue for ND which allows them to stand alone and essentially defy the NCAA's attempts at conference-based structuring.

When the mediocrity starts to affect the revenue streams is when we'll see some changes for the football program IMO.

Does anybody know what the NBC TV ratings were yesterday ? Cant be all that great. NBC is probably wishing they hadnt agreed to the long term extension.
they can just keep adding commercials.

I was wondering the same thing. Here's another thought. NBC execs go to ND administration and basically say, if you want to continue this gravy train, you better get this football program back on track. Money talks!

from TOS

"administration looks at these numbers: ND has sold out the stadium for 255 straight home games. Actually, even more impressive is the other figure where they have sold out 298 out of the last 299. The one game that wasn't a sellout happened (back in the 70's I believe) when a Saturday home game against Air Force was switched late to Thanksgiving Day at the behest of ABC TV so the students were gone. Even then, the game got to within 2,000 of capacity. Point is that people have been packing that stadium during some really bad years, so why does the BOD care about the product? Again, I know we are all upset with CBK, but I just find it hard to believe that our record is so mediocre (at best) for 23 years and 4 coaches now. Until the early 90's we were, without question, the most storied program in history, the team with the most nattys, the most Heismans, the highest winning %. How does that all go away under 4 straight coaches, unless they all had their hands tied? Bring in Fleck or whomever, it's going to stay the same unless surgery is performed on the patient to get rid of the disease from within. Otherwise, putting a band aid (new coach) on will not help in the long run. BOYCOTT!"

ND makes a boat load of money off the NBC deal. At some point if tv ratings drop something will have to give. It all business with these people. Just like any sitcom, if ratings are bad the show gets dropped. If ND continues this trend next year, I think NBC will say something. That is the only way to get rid of the disease that you mention. Considering the schedule, this is by far the worst season in my lifetime. They are losing to teams with losing records. A decent coach would have this team at 8 an 3 right now. Other than the MSU game which they were down big, they should have won every other game including yesterday. Coaching is why they lost. Trust me, next week could possibly be the biggest loss since Army beat ND in 1944 , 59 to 0.

there are posters on TOS thatvseem to have a pretty good grasp of football and some of the technical aspects of the game who are elaborating on the coaching deficiencies of BK. Till this season, I thought he was an average coach who had some administrative skills. But, the more I see and read it is becoming more so that the guy is just plain awful. He has totally collapsed under the weight of the job.
It really would be a mercy firing at this point.

Kelly will not return for '17. Somehow, someway both parties find a way to resolve what has become an embarressing fiasco.

Last edited:
Well, predicting a huge USC win is not exactly going out on a limb. One thing's for sure, you will get 100% effort from our players. It might not work out but they will put in the effort and contrary to misguided opinion, BK has not lost the team. The kids are still playing hard and fighting and keeping these games oh so close. If BK lost the team, these games would be blow outs. I do agree that this team looks badly coached at times. It's maddening to see poor Special Teams play and an OL who jump the count so often. These young WRs will be mighty in 2017. They just haven't learned to create separation yet and that has been a problem for both DK and MZ. Using Reggie Brooks as a source, he said that when you see DK / MZ hold on to the ball so long they are waiting for the proper routes to be run and separation to be created. The WRs are having problems with route running and depth of their routes. Plus, missing Tori hurts more than we realize. This team is so darn close.

How does that all go away under 4 straight coaches, unless they all had their hands tied?

You are overlooking one glaring fact. The rest of the college football world has changed. It's not the same as it was 20 or 30 years ago. Just because something worked in 1985 doesn't mean it works in 2016.

that is not my quote;

Yes it is. What I'm saying is, you are implying that Notre Dame's problem is that the coaches have their hands tied. I'm telling you that you're overlooking the fact that college football has changed a lot in the last 20 years, and it's not just a matter of Notre Dame handcuffing the coaches. Top recruits simply look at things differently than they did 30 years ago. See Oregon as a perfect example.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT