ADVERTISEMENT

More smoke on 24 transfer qb

Sam Hartman didn't make the throw that should have sealed the win vs OSU

Sam Hartman 5 TD's 7 INT's in his last 5 games. That's on him, not on the coaches. He's not very good, he's average. If he was good, he would have opted out of his 6th year.
A slightly inaccurate screen pass, when the DE also made a great play, is pretty far down the list of things that caused ND to lose. How about sending out 10 guys on back to back plays after a timeout. Giving up a first down on 3rd and 19 through poor prevent defense. A dropped pick. All on the last drive.

This is just the world of college football now , and it’s just really not as simple as developing your own quarterback. Fourth year and fifth year quarterbacks are going to be better than even talented, younger quarterbacks, and the only exceptions are the elite, elite quarterbacks, which we can’t seem to get.

Do you think any one of our quarterbacks will be better than Riley Leonard or Michael Pratt? I doubt it.
That's pretty sad, but are those two the elitist QBs available?
Next seasons schedule looks pretty favorable

A slightly inaccurate screen pass, when the DE also made a great play, is pretty far down the list of things that caused ND to lose. How about sending out 10 guys on back to back plays after a timeout. Giving up a first down on 3rd and 19 through poor prevent defense. A dropped pick. All on the last drive.
He didn't get enough air on that pass. Go watch it again. If he completes that pass the game is over. We don't even get to 10 men on the field.

He didn't get enough air on that pass. Go watch it again. If he completes that pass the game is over. We don't even get to 10 men on the field.
He wasn’t perfect on that play. I understand. Easy concept to understand. There’s always something that needs improvement every single play of the game. The OSU defender also made a nice play. Brown catches the pick, and the missed screen play wouldn’t have mattered. We can go back and forth all day. The point is that Hartman played well enough to win the game.

He went 17-24 and was very accurate. There were two missed PI’s too and a third one where the receiver badly beat his defender. That would have been another completion and an improved stat line.

I don’t believe Buchner or Pyne would have executed the gameplan, or any gameplan, as well as Hartman did.

Reactions: notredamerises23
This guy is just stating his opinions without any sources
He is the source?
Better than no gain, and it beats losing to Stanford at home.
You don’t sacrifice the future and development of your program to go 9-3, rather than 8-4..hell Hartman looked like garbage the last 5 games- maybe Angelli goes 11-1? The transfer portal fumble has Marcus looking yet again as he neglected any development.

Reactions: NDinNJ
This is just the world of college football now , and it’s just really not as simple as developing your own quarterback. Fourth year and fifth year quarterbacks are going to be better than even talented, younger quarterbacks, and the only exceptions are the elite, elite quarterbacks, which we can’t seem to get.

Do you think any one of our quarterbacks will be better than Riley Leonard or Michael Pratt? I doubt it.
Amen, invest in the guys you recruited.. will pay dividends.. SB75 is a day trader, invest in those long term options fellas

He is the source?

You don’t sacrifice the future and development of your program to go 9-3, rather than 8-4..hell Hartman looked like garbage the last 5 games- maybe Angelli goes 11-1? The transfer portal fumble has Marcus looking yet again as he neglected any development.
If the coaches thought Steve Angeli would go 11-1, then Angeli would have played,

Last edited:
Not acknowledging Marcus Freeman sending out 10 players on defense after a timeout against Ohio St, at ther most crucial point of the game, does not support the narrative regarding Sam Hartman.

Sam Hartman didn't make the throw that should have sealed the win vs OSU

Sam Hartman 5 TD's 7 INT's in his last 5 games. That's on him, not on the coaches. He's not very good, he's average. If he was good, he would have opted out of his 6th year.
Make the throw? LMAO. Audric Estime was taken out of the game on first down, and the first down play lost 6 yards. And the play you referred to was simply a great play by the Ohio St. defender. You're description of what happened on that play is simply your own narrative.

Reactions: notredamerises23
He is the source?

There’s a <1% chance that AngelI leads us to an 11-1 record with the schedule we played. Obviously, coaches aren’t always perfect, but there’s very little chance that they saw Angeli in practice and thought he could be a college football playoffs type quarterback. The fact of the matter is that Sam Hartman regressed this year, some thing people always blamed Kelly for, i.e., quarterbacks regressing.

Steve Angeli and Kenny Minchey played zero meaningful snaps this season because they aren't good enough to do so, according to the coaches.

And my guess is there will be a grad transfer QB for 2024.
This is silly, a lot of great QBs didn’t play their freshman or sophomore years.

I see a lot of “according to the coaches”, but I’ve never heard Freeman or any others say anything resembling “Minchey is t very good.” Or “Angelli is a career backup.”

Are they good enough? I have no idea, but the assumptions of some here are pretty ignorant. You truly have no idea what Freeman thinks of those guys at this moment.

This is just the world of college football now, and it’s just really not as simple as developing your own quarterback. Fourth year and fifth year quarterbacks are going to be better than even talented, younger quarterbacks, and the only exceptions are the elite, elite quarterbacks, which we can’t seem to get.

Why bother to recruit any QB's? Just go to the portal every year to get someone with experience.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Why bother to recruit any QB's? Just go to the portal every year to get someone with experience.
Unfortunately, with NDs policy and only being able to take Graduate transfers, ND would never get an elite QB in that practice.

How many elite QBs have been grad transfers, seriously, I don’t know any.

Guys like Fields, Burrow, Newton, Mayfield, Hurts, etc.. were all non grad transfer's.

Hartman who has had a good collegiate career is not a coveted prospect or he wouldn’t be a grad transfer, he’d be in the NFL.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Make the throw? LMAO. Audric Estime was taken out of the game on first down, and the first down play lost 6 yards. And the play you referred to was simply a great play by the Ohio St. defender. You're description of what happened on that play is simply your own narrative.
I highly suggest you go watch that play again.

Oh an 5 TD's, 7 INT's the last 5 games, let's just ignore that.

Sam Hartman didn't send out 10 guys on defense after a timeout with the game on the line against Ohio St., Sam Hartman did not hire the OC, and Sam Hartman can't control the WR room, which was average at best.

Calling Sam Hartman a "failed experiment..." is disingenuous. Many things failed this season.
Including Sam Hartman

Notre Dame has recruited the best quarterback potential for the next two seasons that have been recruited in years. To go to the portal for a starter again would be throwing the baby out with the bath water. Play your roster....Bring a quarterback in for insurance if necessary.....but play your recruits at quarterback just like any other position on the field. We have experimented twice....with equal results. Move on.

Unfortunately, with NDs policy and only being able to take Graduate transfers, ND would never get an elite QB in that practice.

How many elite QBs have been grad transfers, seriously, I don’t know any.

Guys like Fields, Burrow, Newton, Mayfield, Hurts, etc.. were all non grad transfer's.

Hartman who has had a good collegiate career is not a coveted prospect or he wouldn’t be a grad transfer, he’d be in the NFL.
Notre Dame at a time use to recruit 4 star qbs.
They can do it again.
Sports Illustrated had a good article about MF recruiting efferts

I guess it's not an easy call, even though I think it is and you should definitely go to the portal if there's someone good enough to start, for one season.....

But really, I think this comes down to Angeli, quite frankly. There's no expectation that Minchey, and certainly not Carr, should be starting next season as a matter of course. Absolutely not. Unless they're pretty much ready, and you strongly feel that way as a coach. Or Angeli himself, quite naturally. So no need for a transfer. But in any case the two prize young QBs are in no position to demand the job be theirs, if that's ever the case....

So as far as alienating the QBs already on your roster which is almost like a political move, it's only Angeli. And as a coach your responsibility is to win not to develop and play the QBs already on your roster. That's just a false notion to think otherwise. So this comes down to a tactical/politcal decision, not an ethical one, and you're not going to stunt the development of Minchey/Carr by bringing in Pratt from Tulane. Or for that matter Angeli who would still have two years left himself in 2025, so long as he doesn't transfer this offseason.

So unless you're deathly concerned about any of the QBs transferring if you were to bring in a 5th year QB, you're not really selling them down the river. But you could be selling the whole team/program down the river, as it were, by eschewing a grad transfer QB, and fielding a lesser team in 2024, to say nothing of MF's own career prospects. These aren't mercenaries, transfers are legit, invested members of the team, and I don't see why they should be thought of otherwise.....

He is the source?

ND isn’t even 9-3 yet. Angeli could have taken the team to 6-6 or 5-7. Would Angeli have won the Duke game? 6-6 is more likely than 11-1 with Angeli. Did Freeman know what his record would be with Hartman? You play the best players. Its easier to recruit off of 10-3 than 7-6.

What if “the future” Carr wins the job and Angeli and Minchey transfer? Knight decommits? There’s always some sort of risk. Buchner and Pyne aren’t even starting.

Three QB’s isn’t even enough. ND should strive for a fourth regardless of their situation.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Riley Leonard's a lot better at running than passing. This season, he has 1100 yds, 3 TDs and 3 INTs passing, in 7 games.

Both Angeli and Minchey are probably better passers IMO.

Jayden De Laura, it turns out, is not a possibility for ND on account of a rape case against him, about which he appears to still be settling the final details of some civil settlement stemming from it. And it's a shame, because he looked great in his Arizona highlights. And he went to my HS.....

Riley Leonard's a lot better at running than passing. This season, he has 1100 yds, 3 TDs and 3 INTs passing, in 7 games.

Both Angeli and Minchey are probably better passers IMO.
That's totally fair, if there's nobody really no good enough, then you don't need to force it. And quite frankly I don't have special feelings for Riley Leonard, or what's so great about him. I do like old boy from Tulane. If we could get him....

But we probably should at least take somebody, even if it is most likely just back-up depth. The portal is great, but it won't always deliver a proven, ready-made grad transfer QB like SH or Coan, it is eminently fair to say. And it's pretty late in the season, and there's almost no one in the portal thus far. So maybe I'm getting ahead of myself....

That's totally fair, if there's nobody really no good enough, then you don't need to force it. And quite frankly I don't have special feelings for Riley Leonard, or what's so great about him. I do like old boy from Tulane. If we could get him....

But we probably should at least take somebody, even if it is most likely just back-up depth. The portal is great, but it won't always deliver a proven, ready-made grad transfer QB like SH or Coan, it is eminently fair to say. And it's pretty late in the season, and there's almost no one in the portal thus far. So maybe I'm getting ahead of myself....
It seems to me that any decent grad transfer QB would want to transfer somewhere where they'll have a great chance of winning the job. Because why would they transfer for their final season, to sit on the bench?

But if there aren't any big upgrades available, I'd rather just go with Angeli, Minchey and Carr battling for the job. It sounds like Pratt's pretty good, but I haven't actually watched him play much.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
And Minchey as well as Angeli are probably gone.
Maybe. I’ve stated before that I prefer we recruit well at QB and develop our own stars, especially at this position. We haven’t done a very good job of this. I’m very encouraged by Minchey and Carr and Knight, and impressed with Angeli in very limited playing time. The two guys we are talking about possibly being available are hardly elite QBs. I don’t consider it a serious loss if either Minchey or Angeli were to leave because of fear of competition, or out of frustration. If they compete in honest open competition and lose, then transferring might be Angeli’s best option; where Minchey would have to assess his Abilities against Carr for starting the following season. Just as Alabama brought in an experienced QB with personal history and intimate knowledge of the new OC, honest open competition resulted in Buchner sitting and Simpson sitting, and redshirt sophomore Milroy ascending to the starting position and excelling.

Maybe. I’ve stated before that I prefer we recruit well at QB and develop our own stars, especially at this position. We haven’t done a very good job of this. I’m very encouraged by Minchey and Carr and Knight, and impressed with Angeli in very limited playing time. The two guys we are talking about possibly being available are hardly elite QBs. I don’t consider it a serious loss if either Minchey or Angeli were to leave because of fear of competition, or out of frustration. If they compete in honest open competition and lose, then transferring might be Angeli’s best option; where Minchey would have to assess his Abilities against Carr for starting the following season. Just as Alabama brought in an experienced QB with personal history and intimate knowledge of the new OC, honest open competition resulted in Buchner sitting and Simpson sitting, and redshirt sophomore Milroy ascending to the starting position and excelling.
How in the hell can you be "...very encouraged..." and "...impressed..." by Minchey or Angeli when we have not witnessed one meaningful snap from either of those guys.

It seems to me that any decent grad transfer QB would want to transfer somewhere where they'll have a great chance of winning the job. Because why would they transfer for their final season, to sit on the bench?

But if there aren't any big upgrades available, I'd rather just go with Angeli, Minchey and Carr battling for the job. It sounds like Pratt's pretty good, but I haven't actually watched him play much.
This actually did happen with Spencer Sanders this year. He started for 4 years at Oklahoma State (and once beat us in a bowl game), then transferred to Ole Miss this year, and sat on the bench. He couldn't beat out Jaxson Dart for the job.

This actually did happen with Spencer Sanders this year. He started for 4 years at Oklahoma State (and once beat us in a bowl game), then transferred to Ole Miss this year, and sat on the bench. He couldn't beat out Jaxson Dart for the job.
Ouch

Comparing the Buchner transfer to Alabama is completely apples and oranges.

1. Buchner is an undergrad with several years of eligibility remaining. ND is looking to bring in a one and done grad student.

2. Buchner left ND as the backup to Hartman, ND will bring in a multi year starter who is expecting to start or they aren't coming to ND.

3. Say all you want that there was a competition between Hartman and everyone else. Let's be honest we all know the "wink wink" competition was not a legit competition. We all knew Hartman was starting at QB as soon as he transferred.

What did ND end up with? If they win out, 9-3 with a 6th year QB. A disappointing season to say the least. Would have rather played Angeli and/or Minchey gone 7-5 and gotten some valuable experience from the younger QB. 7-5 or 9-3 makes no difference, still going to some crap bowl that no one will care about.

Last edited:
How in the hell can you be "...very encouraged..." and "...impressed..." by Minchey or Angeli when we have not witnessed one meaningful snap from either of those guys.
encouraged applied to Minchey and Carr and Knight as to our recruitment, and impressed with Angeli was qualified as to very limited playing time. Given Angeli’s very limited playing time, he’s played exceptionally well: 16-21 for 76%, 3tds and 0 ints. Not a big enough resume and not meaningful snaps as you say, and nothing to base his real potential on, but impressive for what it is.

Comparing the Buchner transfer to Alabama is completely apples and oranges.

1. Buchner is an undergrad with several years of eligibility remaining. ND is looking to bring in a one and done grad student.

2. Buchner left ND as the backup to Hartman, ND will bring in a multi year starter who is expecting to start or they aren't coming to ND.

3. Say all you want that there was a competition between Hartman and everyone else. Let's be honest we all know the "wink wink" competition was not a legit competition. We all knew Hartman was starting at QB as soon as he transferred.
I keep inserting open honest competition for the very reason you cite, that Hartman was always going to be the starting QB. You opined that bringing in a one a done qb will result in Minchey leaving and possibly Angeli. I think Angeli will likely leave if we bring in a one and done who is anointed starter through competition or not. I think Minchey would be wise to think he can beat out Carr as a redshirt sophomore the following year. The analogy wasn’t so much about Buchner as it was about Saban providing real competition and the young guys stayed with the team, and one of the young guys, a redshirt sophomore ultimately won the starting job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT