ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville and virginia quality wins

Don’t forget Navy. Kansas State getting beat. Pretty sure K State beat OK?

ND was overly punished by a really bad loss. They are not a top 5, nobody says that but that are a back 5.

Playoff committee and others got it way wrong this year. A 16 team playoff fixes it.

Move to a true playoff or go back to bowls and votes at the end.

Reactions: mbd11
Let's start with lower academic standards and geography. Those are obvious advantages inherent in certain football powers such as Clemson and Alabama. These gaps are difficult to close regardless of who is leading our program, which are reasons why Urban Meyer spurned us in favor of Florida last decade.

Until then, I'll reiterate : Inherent advantages. Yes, I have no problem stating it. Inherent advantages. Let it stick in your craw.
This is just BS. Show us one bit of proof that Clem has lower academic entry requirements than ND. The truth is they just have better coaches and a better AD.

This is just BS. Show us one bit of proof that Clem has lower academic entry requirements than ND. The truth is they just have better coaches and a better AD.

If these Pro BK fans would take their blinders off, they’d realize ND is recruiting and offering most of the 5 star recruits. The problem is they are choosing to go elsewhere.
And don’t give me the they give everyone an offer, pending transcripts is complete BS, because it’s a very inefficient process.

Reactions: deadprez3

We have tougher academic entry requirements than most programs.

Reactions: Shulkswagen
Think about it though, Saban sells the opportunity to win championships as his #1 proposition.

BINGO!!!

That's the entirety of the point. Thank you!

Kelly does not get elite recruits in bundles because he cannot make an effective football argument to entice them to attend the school.

He has not demonstrated high level coaching acumen on the field of play that recruits and their interested parties can observe that would lead them to believe Kelly can put them in a position to compete for championships and make it to the NFL.

This issue is further exasperated by Kelly and the football administration staff being woefully behind the times in marketing the program in an interesting and innovative manner that would also help to draw recruits to the school.

The other items are just ancillary excuse making and have proved to be obstacles easily overcome once a football coach at ND exhibits the ability to produce championship caliber teams (Holtz) or even provides a short glimmer that a championship is possible (both Weis and Kelly for one recruiting cycle).

The fact of the matter is, when your team is consistently getting dominated on the largest stages it becomes difficult to present a plausible argument that you will be able to coach a player to the abilities of the coaches that are dominating your very same team on the field. This is especially true of a coach well into his tenure at school--the point Kelly finds himself at now.

These are all factual and observable phenomenon that have occurred out in the real world that can be supported.

They aren't overly emotional and reactionary complaints levied without a shrewd of evidence such as ND can't recruit top 5 classes because of academics or geography. If that was in fact true, no coach at ND ever would have. The reality is that I believe almost every coach at ND has brought in top 5 classes or at least top 10, even the much maligned Bob Davie and Tyrone Willingham. However, Kelly has now strung together several classes outside of the top 10 and it has pretty much become the norm.

In the face of all this evidence one can only conclude that Kelly is the primary limiting factor inhibiting ND from securing top 5 recruiting classes, not some random inherent disadvantages that some posters would have people believe.

Its Notre Dame, not Iowa State. The excuse making needs to stop and Kelly needs to rightfully be held responsible for the recruiting failures because there is none among us that would doubt that Dabo, Meyer, or Saban would not consistently secure top 5 classes at this school.

The whole argument is positively inane.

Reactions: NDinNJ
BINGO!!!

That's the entirety of the point. Thank you!

Kelly does not get elite recruits in bundles because he cannot make an effective football argument to entice them to attend the school.

He has not demonstrated high level coaching acumen on the field of play that recruits and their interested parties can observe that would lead them to believe Kelly can put them in a position to compete for championships and make it to the NFL.

This issue is further exasperated by Kelly and the football administration staff being woefully behind the times in marketing the program in an interesting and innovative manner that would also help to draw recruits to the school.

The other items are just ancillary excuse making and have proved to be obstacles easily overcome once a football coach at ND exhibits the ability to produce championship caliber teams (Holtz) or even provides a short glimmer that a championship is possible (both Weis and Kelly for one recruiting cycle).

The fact of the matter is, when your team is consistently getting dominated on the largest stages it becomes difficult to present a plausible argument that you will be able to coach a player to the abilities of the coaches that are dominating your very same team on the field. This is especially true of a coach well into his tenure at school--the point Kelly finds himself at now.

These are all factual and observable phenomenon that have occurred out in the real world that can be supported.

They aren't overly emotional and reactionary complaints levied without a shrewd of evidence such as ND can't recruit top 5 classes because of academics or geography. If that was in fact true, no coach at ND ever would have. The reality is that I believe almost every coach at ND has brought in top 5 classes or at least top 10, even the much maligned Bob Davie and Tyrone Willingham. However, Kelly has now strung together several classes outside of the top 10 and it has pretty much become the norm.

In the face of all this evidence one can only conclude that Kelly is the primary limiting factor inhibiting ND from securing top 5 recruiting classes, not some random inherent disadvantages that some posters would have people believe.

Its Notre Dame, not Iowa State. The excuse making needs to stop and Kelly needs to rightfully be held responsible for the recruiting failures because there is none among us that would doubt that Dabo, Meyer, or Saban would not consistently secure top 5 classes at this school.

The whole argument is positively inane.
Yawn

One must ponder how Ohio State is ever able to make any such headway into the top 5 with such a limited geographical locale?

Yet, there they stand! Admid all the impossibilities!

Their brave assistants willing to traverse the vanquished Midwest lands to reach the exalted South!

Surely with inventions such as human flight, the interstate roadway system, and social media their endeavor can be a bit more attainable.... but yet still remain a herculean feat.

And it remains a great mystery how the mad sorcerer Vinny Cerrato was able to garner any such talent from the South in the face of such insurmountable odds of geographic isolation. How was he ever able to secure the commitments of such fine southern scholastic athletes?

He must of have had the secret, magic potion that now resides with the modern day wizards in Columbus, Ohio.

And yes, how could I forget the academic restrictions?

How shortsighted of me not to remember that all football players are "dumb jocks" who can only obtain admissions into the lowliest of schools. It is all chronicled out for us admid the classic high school dramadies of the 1980s.

Surely, there is hardly any players at all in the top 250 that could gain admittance into the university.

I'm sure our current recruiting class is compromised of only the finest young scholars.

For it is well known and factual that there is an irrefutable inverse relationship between a person's ability on a football and in the classroom.

I'm sure all of these low intelligence five stars need to be lead out onto the field by their hand lest they lack the intellectual prowess to otherwise find the way.

And of course only ND football players are engaged in rigorous studies once they enroll into school. They are all mathematics and pre-med/law majors and there is nary an academic pursuit within the university for which they can hide.

It is all just so monumental to overcome.

One can only wonder how Ohio State is able to overcome their desolate and isolated geographical location within the most technologically and mobile time in human history.

And one can only marvel at Brian Kelly and his band of high school valedictorians and future rhodes scholars as they continue to defy all odds on the field of play.

There must also be some foul play about at the fine institutions such as Miami, Texas, Florida State, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Mississippi State, South Carolina, North Carolina, Texas A&M, and Auburn just to name a few that renders them inept in taking full advantage of these inherent advantages and procuring similar results on the field of play such as Bama and Clemson.

Its almost as if those two schools, along with that confounding school in Ohio all have something in common? But whatever could that be?

The answer, it seems, continues to evade us still? What of the last great mysteries of mankind.
None of your sneering post debunked the notion that there are the disadvantages I pointed out. You just outright dismissed and mocked my argument rather than offer a cogent rebuttal. Lots of hot air, but where's the beef? Pretty weak stuff, man.

Did I say there are insurmountable hurdles? No. Does that mean there are no hurdles at all? No. You pointing out exceptions to the rule does not negate the rule itself : that southern schools today have an inherent advantage, which has been demonstrated with a long and impressive track record of championships.

If my theory about lower academic standards and talent rich geography is so off-point then please provide an alternative one that accounts for 20 of the last 22 champions being southern programs. When you additionally take into account that South Bend is a boring town that will not appeal much to a lot of today's party seeking teens, it is indisputably a tougher road to the top that is reasonable to acknowledge.

I have to say, it is inconceivable to even thoroughly respond to and take seriously all that you have written here. Most of it is just a straw-man of my position (I didn't say we lacked the logistical capabilities to recruit, I didn't call all football players dumb jocks, I didn't say it's impossible to compete, etc...) and a crude, cartoon representation of reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golson5
Louisville had a 8 game winning season and won their bowl game against a SEC team. Virginia gave SEC 10 win Florida all they could handle.

I would say these are quality wins. Our schedule was not as lame as most people think

Spot on - Virginia / Louisville / Michigan / Georgia / Va Tech - all dam good teams

Like 95% of FBS schools, Clemson uses NCAA regs to qualify student athletes. Nothing at all wrong with that, but it’s reality. Our core curriculum requirements are significantly more stringent than the NCAA minimums. That’s just reality too. I neither know nor care if that’s an excuse, an alibi or anything else you want to call it. But it is reality.

Reactions: Shulkswagen
Don’t forget Navy. Kansas State getting beat. Pretty sure K State beat OK?

ND was overly punished by a really bad loss. They are not a top 5, nobody says that but that are a back 5.

Playoff committee and others got it way wrong this year. A 16 team playoff fixes it.

Move to a true playoff or go back to bowls and votes at the end.

Add Navy to the mix

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT