ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville and virginia quality wins

Louisville had a 8 game winning season and won their bowl game against a SEC team. Virginia gave SEC 10 win Florida all they could handle.

I would say these are quality wins. Our schedule was not as lame as most people think
Truth

Reactions: Pennick4
Nothing “quality” about a loss, ever. Was surprised to hear Bronco quoted about moral victories. Their QB is a turnover machine.

bowl game are a measure of nothing.
and the ND fan search for significance is unendingly sad.

Yes, the mental gymnastics exhibited around here are quite astonishing and as you eloquently put it "unendingly sad".

When fans have to do this deep a dive in attempt to prop up the program you know its just not at an elite level.

wE bEAT a tEaM tHaT wOn 8 gAmeS and bEaT a boTTom fEEDer SeC sChOoL.

We bEat A tEAm tHaT aLmosT bEaT a SeC sChOOl.

It must be so exhausting to try to deny the truth that faces them around every bend. ND will never be an elite program under Kelly. We have ten years of data points as evidence.

If he could,
he would,
but he can't,
so he doesn't

Reactions: NDinNJ
I hardly think it's a search for significance? It's just a fact.
1. Most aren't saying the schedule was lame. Rather, the criticism is the consistent lack of wins against the top opponents and not showing up at all vs. Michigan.
2. It's tough to draw too many conclusions from bowl games given some key players sit out, coaches leave, different levels of motivation, etc.
3. If you do want to make this argument, wait until all the games are played. Don't cherry pick Louisville and a Virginia 12 point loss. Does the USC beat down by Iowa mean our schedule was weak? How will Navy, BC, Michigan and Va Tech perform?

Yes, the mental gymnastics exhibited around here are quite astonishing and as you eloquently put it "unendingly sad".

When fans have to do this deep a dive in attempt to prop up the program you know its just not at an elite level.

It must be so exhausting to try to deny the truth that faces them around every bend. ND will never be an elite program under Kelly. We have ten years of data points as evidence.

If he could,
he would,
but he can't,
so he doesn't

going off the other deep end is no less pathetic

If he could,
he would,
but he can't,
so he doesn't

There is no "other deep end" to this scenario.

One side is the "deep end" because it is mere conjure that flies in the face of reality.

"The other side" is a logical conclusion based upon over a decade of accumulated data points. A rational entity would have no other choice but to draw the conclusion that Kelly cannot make ND an elite program.

The sooner this fact can be absorbed by the board, the sooner the content of this board can be improved.

We cannot continue to allow the board to be polluted with inane drivel that has no basis in reality and is only the forlorn pining of the desperate.

The deniers need to come to grips with the reality that their program is in no way elite and that it will take a coaching change to make that even a possibility. And even at, it may still not come to fruition. Scary to acknowledge, but factual none the less.

We know factually that the human beings Tyrone Willingham, Bob Davie, Charlie Weis, and Brian Kelly cannot make ND an elite program.

Therefore, it is more probable that someone with a limited football acumen such as say Catholicfan95 has statistically a higher probability of making ND an elite program as compared to the aforementioned.

Yes, my dear friend, it is not a "deep end" position, it is merely a fact based upon a mountain of evidence and data points. Again, sad but true....but yet still....cannot and should not be denied if this board and the football program has any hopes of moving forward. For the November massacre in South Bend at the hands of Clemson has already been all but written in stone with Kelly as the coach, and especially so with Rees as OC and Book at QB. A depressing trifecta indeed.

In any event, I appreciate your initial efforts to squelch out the lunatic fringe and hope now going forward you have a better understanding of the current momentum in which the board is moving towards.

Perse, this shot across the bow of the ND fan base is totally unnecessary and of course, inaccurate. Strength of schedule is something talked about throughout the season, and something taken into account by the selection committee; and the OP pointing out that two of our seemingly weaker opponents actually ended the year stronger than expected is a legitimate take. No less legitimate than those of us that pointed out last year that Michigan turned out to be a weaker opponent than we all thought when we played them, and thus hurting our strength of schedule. The vast majority of the ND fan base that visit and post here hardly fit your damning characterization.

1. Most aren't saying the schedule was lame. Rather, the criticism is the consistent lack of wins against the top opponents and not showing up at all vs. Michigan.
2. It's tough to draw too many conclusions from bowl games given some key players sit out, coaches leave, different levels of motivation, etc.
3. If you do want to make this argument, wait until all the games are played. Don't cherry pick Louisville and a Virginia 12 point loss. Does the USC beat down by Iowa mean our schedule was weak? How will Navy, BC, Michigan and Va Tech perform?

Okay sounds good! I'll keep that in mind. I forgot that I have absolutely no ability to determine a good team from a bad team. Thanks for being a shinning light in a dim world

All I said was I think it was a stretch to suggest ND fans searching for significance. You're efforts were really pointless here as I already understand how to evaluate and measure teams we beat in a season.

no one brings up the SC trouncing! I think the good posters know which posters were being referenced.

Bowl games are no barometer; one team is playing like mid season and the other is on a holiday.

Reactions: amazingreis
no one brings up the SC trouncing! I think the good posters know which posters were being referenced.

Bowl games are no barometer; one team is playing like mid season and the other is on a holiday.

That's normally what losing teams say.

Reactions: tbonesays
Yesterday convinced me that we beat Florida. Shame we didn't get a chance to play them. Look out for Louisville next year! Second to last game. Satterfield is a helluva coach.

Okay sounds good! I'll keep that in mind. I forgot that I have absolutely no ability to determine a good team from a bad team. Thanks for being a shinning light in a dim world

All I said was I think it was a stretch to suggest ND fans searching for significance. You're efforts were really pointless here as I already understand how to evaluate and measure teams we beat in a season.
You're just a really bad human being....

If he could,
he would,
but he can't,
so he doesn't

Kelly needs at minimum 5 more years. He just realized after 10 years that he needs to step up recruiting to be a top tier team.

Because I disagree with you, and call you out for posting garbage?
No, it's because you're pompous and disrespectful. I can't imagine you have the guts to speak to people the same way you do as when you're hiding behind an electronic device in your momma's basement.

11 wins a season over the last three, something not done since I have been following the program. I would definitely consider that substantial improvement and a sign of raising the bar for the program. The last step is for Kelly to start hauling in top 5-10 classes and we'll be in the playoff conversation every year. Not sure we'll ever be on the same plane as the Alabamas or Clemsons of the world given their inherent advantages, but I think Kelly is doing a good job of getting us to the fringe elite level. Crazy to think that it would be appropriate to fire Kelly right here and now.

No, it's because you're pompous and disrespectful. I can't imagine you have the guts to speak to people the same way you do as when you're hiding behind an electronic device in your momma's basement.

Original. Sorry to hurt your feelings buddy. I don't think you're in a position to lecture me on civility or acceptable behavior on this board. But continue to lash out, I enjoy seeing you crumble.

Kelly needs at minimum 5 more years. He just realized after 10 years that he needs to step up recruiting to be a top tier team.

Yep.

There always these pesky little details that keep Kelly from achieving greatness, whether that be the grass playing surface, no jumbotrons and smoke entrances, not enough alternative uniforms, helmets shine is too dull, etc.

Now we have decided its a good idea to get top 5 classes? That's just a stroke of genius! Imagine if Kelly wasn't here to identify such innovative ideas!

My only concern is how are we going to get all around the grocery store to get said recruits? I thought for some abstract and other worldly reason that only Kelly had the insight to know about why our top flight university was sadly rendered to shop down a different isle than everyone else.

Eureka!!!.....I bet that's what the private jets are all about!!

Imagine, this whole time the only reason Kelly was unable to get elite recruits was because of the incorrect aircraft!

It didn't have anything to do with the blowouts against elite teams or the lack of elite players placed into the NFL besides offensive linemen. Or the boring, mundane, and unimaginative offense.

It was simply due to those gosh darn planes!

Now with that code cracked, the elite recruits will come flooding en masse.

I mean surely, a top 5 class is all but assured for next year! Especially since we currently have the #1 class. Its not like it will eventually slide down and finish in the top 10-15 range now that all the low hanging fruit has already been plucked from the tree and the elite programs will snatch up all our remaining top targets.

I mean that never happens with Kelly.

Wait, what did you say? You mean this happens every year? You mean everyone around here hypes up the next year's recruiting class in January? And you mean to tell me it always ends up finishing outside the top 10?

Well surely this revelation would lead me to logically conclude that it will once again happen this year as well. Especially since its happened all but one year during his tenure

But nah, that doesn't sound like fun....facing facts and dealing with reality.

I'll just stick my head in the sand. Its really comfortable in there and if I also try to stick my head up my ass really far I think I can see a top 50 running back picking our school that has had no success at the position since Kelly has been coach over a program that makes the championship game every year and has an all american at the position. I'm sure that's the likely outcome. Did ya know our RB coach used to coach his favorite NFL player? And they're both unusual in that they're elite white running backs! It just all makes so much sense that he will be coming to ND! And what's even more crazy is that they have the same style of play and remind everyone of each other even though they're not really alike at all except for their skin color. Wow, this is all so amazing!!!!!

Yep.

There always these pesky little details that keep Kelly from achieving greatness, whether that be the grass playing surface, no jumbotrons and smoke entrances, not enough alternative uniforms, helmets shine is too dull, etc.

Now we have decided its a good idea to get top 5 classes? That's just a stroke of genius! Imagine if Kelly wasn't here to identify such innovative ideas!

My only concern is how are we going to get all around the grocery store to get said recruits? I thought for some abstract and other worldly reason that only Kelly had the insight to know about why our top flight university was sadly rendered to shop down a different isle than everyone else.

Eureka!!!.....I bet that's what the private jets are all about!!

Imagine, this whole time the only reason Kelly was unable to get elite recruits was because of the incorrect aircraft!

It didn't have anything to do with the blowouts against elite teams or the lack of elite players placed into the NFL besides offensive linemen. Or the boring, mundane, and unimaginative offense.

It was simply due to those gosh darn planes!

Now with that code cracked, the elite recruits will come flooding en masse.

I mean surely, a top 5 class is all but assured for next year! Especially since we currently have the #1 class. Its not like it will eventually slide down and finish in the top 10-15 range now that all the low hanging fruit has already been plucked from the tree and the elite programs will snatch up all our remaining top targets.

I mean that never happens with Kelly.

Wait, what did you say? You mean this happens every year? You mean everyone around here hypes up the next year's recruiting class in January? And you mean to tell me it always ends up finishing outside the top 10?

Well surely this revelation would lead me to logically conclude that it will once again happen this year as well. Especially since its happened all but one year during his tenure

But nah, that doesn't sound like fun....facing facts and dealing with reality.

I'll just stick my head in the sand. Its really comfortable in there and if I also try to stick my head up my ass really far I think I can see a top 50 running back picking our school that has had no success at the position since Kelly has been coach over a program that makes the championship game every year and has an all american at the position. I'm sure that's the likely outcome. Did ya know our RB coach used to coach his favorite NFL player? And they're both unusual in that they're elite white running backs! It just all makes so much sense that he will be coming to ND! And what's even more crazy is that they have the same style of play and remind everyone of each other even though they're not really alike at all except for their skin color. Wow, this is all so amazing!!!!!
Ouch!

Not sure we'll ever be on the same plane as the Alabamas or Clemsons of the world given their inherent advantages

Hmm, fascinating stuff.

I would be more interested in hearing about these inherent advantages.

Especially as it relates to Clemson.

I mean Clemson must be some long standing elite powerhouse with history of national championships, Heisman winners, and all americans.

It must be one of the wealthiest universities in the country with an enormous endowment.

It must have a national brand and huge following across the country.

Dabo must have just stepped right in after the last coach left and picked right up where they had left off with all these amazing inherent advantages that Clemson University possess.

Surely it has nothing to do with Dabo's innate skills and abilities, drive and motivation, vision and foresight.

It was all just the schools inherent advantages.

Please tell me more about these. I am endlessly fascinated to hear more about this amazing university and football program and their illustrious history.

Its just too bad for Kelly though. If only he had these types of inherent advantages. Maybe he could capitalize on them as well. Regrettably, he just finds himself in such a difficult situation. Why its amazing he can even have the success he's had. I mean, our assistant coaches have to fly commercial coach for crying out loud!

And who can expect Kelly to have such foresight or vision to do something so effective on the recruiting trail? That's damn near impossible. How should he have thought of that himself. I mean, he was too busy formulating the "Pot of Gold" recruiting bonanza! Kids love snail mail nowadays! So innovative! Such a pioneer!

If some way, some how, our poor poor university can in anyway hold even a flicker of a light to the amazing, world class Clemson University then maybe Kelly will eventually be able to be on a level playing field with Dabo.

But until that time occurs, Kelly will just have to keep working with the meager scraps that have been made available to him. He's just at such an unfair disadvantage, poor guy.

Nothing “quality” about a loss, ever. Was surprised to hear Bronco quoted about moral victories. Their QB is a turnover machine.

Obviously depends upon what your definition of “quality” is, but also depends upon on where your program is.

A close loss in which a team can hold its own at the LOS to a clearly superior opponent (talent and program solidity wise) could very well be quality loss.

Hmm, fascinating stuff.

I would be more interested in hearing about these inherent advantages.

Especially as it relates to Clemson.

I mean Clemson must be some long standing elite powerhouse with history of national championships, Heisman winners, and all americans.

It must be one of the wealthiest universities in the country with an enormous endowment.

It must have a national brand and huge following across the country.

Dabo must have just stepped right in after the last coach left and picked right up where they had left off with all these amazing inherent advantages that Clemson University possess.

Surely it has nothing to do with Dabo's innate skills and abilities, drive and motivation, vision and foresight.

It was all just the schools inherent advantages.

Please tell me more about these. I am endlessly fascinated to hear more about this amazing university and football program and their illustrious history.

Its just too bad for Kelly though. If only he had these types of inherent advantages. Maybe he could capitalize on them as well. Regrettably, he just finds himself in such a difficult situation. Why its amazing he can even have the success he's had. I mean, our assistant coaches have to fly commercial coach for crying out loud!

And who can expect Kelly to have such foresight or vision to do something so effective on the recruiting trail? That's damn near impossible. How should he have thought of that himself. I mean, he was too busy formulating the "Pot of Gold" recruiting bonanza! Kids love snail mail nowadays! So innovative! Such a pioneer!

If some way, some how, our poor poor university can in anyway hold even a flicker of a light to the amazing, world class Clemson University then maybe Kelly will eventually be able to be on a level playing field with Dabo.

But until that time occurs, Kelly will just have to keep working with the meager scraps that have been made available to him. He's just at such an unfair disadvantage, poor guy.
Hardly anything in your sarcastic clown post relates to my position in any meaningful way, so it's probably best to not respond at all.

Do you actually want to have a substantive exchange, or are you more interested in hearing the reverberations of your pompous, loquacious rants?

Let's start with lower academic standards and geography. Those are obvious advantages inherent in certain football powers such as Clemson and Alabama. These gaps are difficult to close regardless of who is leading our program, which are reasons why Urban Meyer spurned us in favor of Florida last decade.

There is a reason why since the turn of the century there has been ONE program north of the Mason-Dixon line that has won a championship. Talent is much richer down south...there is a gold mine under their feet. If there are other more significant reasons, then please educate me o wise one.

Until then, I'll reiterate : Inherent advantages. Yes, I have no problem stating it. Inherent advantages. Let it stick in your craw.

Perse, this shot across the bow of the ND fan base is totally unnecessary and of course, inaccurate. Strength of schedule is something talked about throughout the season, and something taken into account by the selection committee; and the OP pointing out that two of our seemingly weaker opponents actually ended the year stronger than expected is a legitimate take. No less legitimate than those of us that pointed out last year that Michigan turned out to be a weaker opponent than we all thought when we played them, and thus hurting our strength of schedule. The vast majority of the ND fan base that visit and post here hardly fit your damning characterization.

Our SOS is fine. UVA was our last chance for a good quality win. It's always best when you beat a NY6 bowl champion. Kelly has the same two of those he's had since 2013. Navy is our last hope for a decent win, I hope they get it.

Hardly anything in your sarcastic clown post relates to my position in any meaningful way, so it's probably best to not respond at all.

Do you actually want to have a substantive exchange, or are you more interested in hearing the reverberations of your pompous, loquacious rants?

Let's start with lower academic standards and geography. Those are obvious advantages inherent in certain football powers such as Clemson and Alabama. These gaps are difficult to close regardless of who is leading our program, which are reasons why Urban Meyer spurned us in favor of Florida last decade.

There is a reason why since the turn of the century there has been ONE program north of the Mason-Dixon line that has won a championship. Talent is much richer down south...there is a gold mine under their feet. If there are other more significant reasons, then please educate me o wise one.

Until then, I'll reiterate : Inherent advantages. Yes, I have no problem stating it. Inherent advantages. Let it stick in your craw.

One must ponder how Ohio State is ever able to make any such headway into the top 5 with such a limited geographical locale?

Yet, there they stand! Admid all the impossibilities!

Their brave assistants willing to traverse the vanquished Midwest lands to reach the exalted South!

Surely with inventions such as human flight, the interstate roadway system, and social media their endeavor can be a bit more attainable.... but yet still remain a herculean feat.

And it remains a great mystery how the mad sorcerer Vinny Cerrato was able to garner any such talent from the South in the face of such insurmountable odds of geographic isolation. How was he ever able to secure the commitments of such fine southern scholastic athletes?

He must of have had the secret, magic potion that now resides with the modern day wizards in Columbus, Ohio.

And yes, how could I forget the academic restrictions?

How shortsighted of me not to remember that all football players are "dumb jocks" who can only obtain admissions into the lowliest of schools. It is all chronicled out for us admid the classic high school dramadies of the 1980s.

Surely, there is hardly any players at all in the top 250 that could gain admittance into the university.

I'm sure our current recruiting class is compromised of only the finest young scholars.

For it is well known and factual that there is an irrefutable inverse relationship between a person's ability on a football and in the classroom.

I'm sure all of these low intelligence five stars need to be lead out onto the field by their hand lest they lack the intellectual prowess to otherwise find the way.

And of course only ND football players are engaged in rigorous studies once they enroll into school. They are all mathematics and pre-med/law majors and there is nary an academic pursuit within the university for which they can hide.

It is all just so monumental to overcome.

One can only wonder how Ohio State is able to overcome their desolate and isolated geographical location within the most technologically and mobile time in human history.

And one can only marvel at Brian Kelly and his band of high school valedictorians and future rhodes scholars as they continue to defy all odds on the field of play.

There must also be some foul play about at the fine institutions such as Miami, Texas, Florida State, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Mississippi State, South Carolina, North Carolina, Texas A&M, and Auburn just to name a few that renders them inept in taking full advantage of these inherent advantages and procuring similar results on the field of play such as Bama and Clemson.

Its almost as if those two schools, along with that confounding school in Ohio all have something in common? But whatever could that be?

The answer, it seems, continues to evade us still? What of the last great mysteries of mankind.

One must ponder how Ohio State is ever able to make any such headway into the top 5 with such a limited geographical locale?

Their brave assistants willing to traverse the vanquished Midwest lands to reach the exalted South!

Surely with inventions such as human flight, the interstate roadway system, and social media their endeavor can be a bit more attainable.... but yet still remain a herculean feat.

And it remains a great mystery how the mad sorcerer Vinny Cerrato was able to garner any such talent from the South in the face of such insurmountable odds of geographic isolation. How was he ever able to secure the commitments of such fine southern scholastic athletes?

He must of have had the secret, magic potion that now resides with the modern day wizards in Columbus, Ohio.

How shortsighted of me not to remember that all football players are "dumb jocks" who can only obtain admissions into the lowliest of schools. It is all chronicled out for us admid the classic high school dramadies of the 1980s.

Surely, there is hardly any players at all in the top 250 that could gain admittance into the university.

I'm sure our current recruiting class is compromised of only the finest young scholars.

For it is well known and factual that there is an irrefutable inverse relationship between a person's ability on a football and in the classroom.

I'm sure all of these low intelligence five stars need to be lead out onto the field by their hand lest they lack the intellectual prowess to otherwise find the way.

And of course only ND football players are engaged in rigorous studies once they enroll into school. They are all mathematics and pre-med/law majors and there is nary an academic pursuit within the university for which they can hide.

One can only wonder how Ohio State is able to overcome their desolate and isolated geographical location within the most technologically and mobile time in human history.

And one can only marvel at Brian Kelly and his band of high school valedictorians and future rhodes scholars as they continue to defy all odds on the field of play.

There must also be some foul play about at the fine institutions such as Miami, Texas, Florida State, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Mississippi State, South Carolina, North Carolina, Texas A&M, and Auburn just to name a few that renders them inept in taking full advantage of these inherent advantages and procuring similar results on the field of play such as Bama and Clemson.

Its almost as if those two schools, along with that confounding school in Ohio all have something in common? But whatever could that be?

The answer, it seems, continues to evade us still? What of the last great mysteries of mankind.

If Rivals handed out a trophy for Bloviator Of The Year, you win in a landslide.

the more I read your posts, the more I realize that you aren’t an ND fan. Don’t you get tired of trolling on a football forum for a team that isn’t yours? Or are you just THAT thirsty for ND? Yikes bro.

The reality is the pool of players that ND would consider and that would also consider ND is smaller than aforementioned schools ... then there is the added hurdle of remaining eligible and in good standing which we know at ND is by CFB standards among the most stringent. Does ND have other advantages that it should and does exploit - yes! Think about it though, Saban sells the opportunity to win championships as his #1 proposition. Kelly sells 4 for 40. Make no mistake, I’m in awe of the advantages that Saban has created for himself by building and sustaining a dynasty ... he is as close to a John Wooden as we will ever see in terms of success.

TLDR: I’m awesome. That’s not opinion. I know it seems like it, but I’ve done my research guys. Won’t tell you where I researched it, but just know that I’m awesome. It’s just facts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT