ADVERTISEMENT

Lol ND Basketball

What are terrible team. Just lost at home to Radford. If you thought last year sucked after Colson got hurt, this team is attrocious.

Can anyone who knows basketball better than me, rationally explain how Rex Pflueger and Elijah Burns have NCAA Div 1 scholarships, let alone are starters on an ACC basketball team?.. They are terrible.

I don't know where to start. The team leader, Gibbs, shoots absolute bricks from deep. Pflueger still can't shoot or dribble after 4 years. Burns is a complete liability in every facet of the game outside of setting screens.

DJ Harvey is forced to start after coming off of microfracture surgery and John Mooney is basically by himself out there.

The bench gets a pass because they're all freshmen, however Nik Djogo has somehow gotten worse and despite registering 6 blocks the other night, Mike Brey won't play Juwan Durham, his only rim protector because he isn't going to be a double digit scorer every night... As if you're ever going to get anything of use out of Elijah Burns.

Brey will blame this loss on being young and that excuse will probably remain intact all season, but the kids aren't the problem... The horrendus play of the veterans is.

And before you think this is a hot take based on tonight, they've played worse to start the season than they did against tougher ACC play last year without Colson abd Farrell while they were injured.

Did they even practice this off season? I think these guys would lose to McGraw's girls.

Really, really bad game, but still a top 50ish team with a decent shot at the tournament. Saying that they’re “terrible” is hyperbole.

Last edited:
Nice blowout of DePaul. Rex has 20.

If Rex could play like that with some level of consistency, this could be a really solid team. Unfortunately, we've seen this before and it never lasts. It's a shame because ND needs him to play big.

So easily a tournament team in your mind then?... I think that's rather hyperbolic. JMO.

No way are they a tournament team now but at least today they finally showed signs of improvement in a number of players. The next four games will say a lot about this team starting with Illinois. Well not so sure about Illinois since they got swept out of Maui and the game is at home but I think Oklahoma, UCLA and Purdue will be very tough challenges for a young team.

6-1 and counting. Nice win tonight, even if iffy down the wire. Gonna be different in the ACC but this is a young team that is improving. That is Brey's MO. Tourney team? We'll see... But nice to get another win.

6-1 and counting. Nice win tonight, even if iffy down the wire. Gonna be different in the ACC but this is a young team that is improving. That is Brey's MO. Tourney team? We'll see... But nice to get another win.

Yes nice win. But almost blowing a 13 point lead towards the end has to be concerning. Too many careless passes and unnecessary fouls towards the end of the game, and ... boy can they miss free throws, how many did they miss during Illinois' attempt to come back?

Glad Durham is playing and Gibbs isn't holding the offense back any further. Durham developing is key to the team making a jump next season. Rex will be Rex. He scores 20 the other night, doing what you hope a senior will do... Tonight he goes 0-2 from the field, and scores 5 points (all free throws). Love the way he plays defense and works hard, but more games than not he's a black hole on offense, playing for an offensively driven coach.

This is far from a tourney team right now. Not playing Brey ball right now, and will be interesting to see their development over the season. Too much dribbling and not enough passing, poor three point shooting, and atrocious free throw shooting are antithetical to Brey coached teams. Some bright spots for sure with Harvey and Gibbs and Hubbs and Durham tonight.

rex is rex -- he got us forward in the tourney a couple of years ago with his frosh tip in, I'm not counting him out.. somehow players make plays...

True..... except Gonzaga....

Will be scary to see how well Duke is by the time the ACC tourney rolls around.
I gotta call out Coach K for that one. Those last 4 minutes Duke just went straight iso ball and didn't run much of any offensive sets. That dude from Gonzaga must have had 6 blocks in the last few minutes. Maybe K just didn't care about a game in November and used it as a teaching moment, but that was bad basketball.

Reactions: nemeth#5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT