ADVERTISEMENT

Lol ND Basketball

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
What are terrible team. Just lost at home to Radford. If you thought last year sucked after Colson got hurt, this team is attrocious.

Can anyone who knows basketball better than me, rationally explain how Rex Pflueger and Elijah Burns have NCAA Div 1 scholarships, let alone are starters on an ACC basketball team?.. They are terrible.

I don't know where to start. The team leader, Gibbs, shoots absolute bricks from deep. Pflueger still can't shoot or dribble after 4 years. Burns is a complete liability in every facet of the game outside of setting screens.

DJ Harvey is forced to start after coming off of microfracture surgery and John Mooney is basically by himself out there.

The bench gets a pass because they're all freshmen, however Nik Djogo has somehow gotten worse and despite registering 6 blocks the other night, Mike Brey won't play Juwan Durham, his only rim protector because he isn't going to be a double digit scorer every night... As if you're ever going to get anything of use out of Elijah Burns.

Brey will blame this loss on being young and that excuse will probably remain intact all season, but the kids aren't the problem... The horrendus play of the veterans is.

And before you think this is a hot take based on tonight, they've played worse to start the season than they did against tougher ACC play last year without Colson abd Farrell while they were injured.

Did they even practice this off season? I think these guys would lose to McGraw's girls.

I've watched UNC teams that have gone to the final four and won NC's lose early in the year to bad teams. Haven't watched this team play, but you may be overreacting a bit. Wasn't expecting a great year coming in, I wouldn't overreact just yet though.

I've watched UNC teams that have gone to the final four and won NC's lose early in the year to bad teams. Haven't watched this team play, but you may be overreacting a bit. Wasn't expecting a great year coming in, I wouldn't overreact just yet though.

I just don't see any improvement from the returning players at all through 3 games (obviously its early). Maybe Mooney jumps this year, but Rex and Elijah are the same old duds and TJ is off to an ugly start. Djogo and Durham can't even get on the floor.

Clearly any freshman who plays is going to be a huge step down from Farrell and Colson, so you can't put it on them.

I always thought this was going to be a rebuilding year. We had a great recruiting class but they arent 1 and done type guys so they will probably be good players by the end of the year but early they probably arent ready to be major contributors. And no, as good as the womens team is, they wouldnt beat the mens team. I dont care how bad they played tonight. They would easily beat the womens team.

I always thought this was going to be a rebuilding year. We had a great recruiting class but they arent 1 and done type guys so they will probably be good players by the end of the year but early they probably arent ready to be major contributors. And no, as good as the womens team is, they wouldnt beat the mens team. I dont care how bad they played tonight. They would easily beat the womens team.

Of course they would be the women's team... Hyperbole.

They're just really bad. I expected a rebuilding year to, I just expected the juniors and seniors to be better. The kids have actually played well for the most part. It's the upper classmen that are bad... Again..

Did they even practice this off season? I think these guys would lose to McGraw's girls.

Probably would. Don't see how the guys could stop Shepard and Turner down low.

Radford made the tourney & is picked to win the southern conference but w/ that said, we are going to struggle this season. For the last 4 years, we’ve had guys that could really control games w/ all around solid games (grant, connaughton, Jackson, vasturia, bonzie, Farrell). We have no one like that on this team. At least not yet. The four frosh look like they can be very good but we can’t get enough scoring out of our upperclassmen, so we will be hard pressed to get wins. Rebuilding year for sure. We need a stud or two in the next class. I have high hopes for our frosh class though.

didn't get to watch because of working nights now but read on another board that Rex was horrible tonight. he has been a good defensive player on and off for our irish but has never been able to put it together on the other end to be a good shooter

I watched the men's bassketball full scrimmage before last Saturday's football game. It was open to the public. It was very hard to make anything of it because Coach Brey was stopping play to create situational offense and defensive plays. They were hitting shots against each other and their passing and driving to the basket looked good...again...against each other. There was certainly no one that stood out.

There just aren't any athletes on this team... Harvey isn't back to 100% off the microfracture surgery yet (to be expected) and Hubb is just coming off an ACL... The white kids are good basketball players, I think Nate is going to be an excellent basketball player, but none of them are explosive basketball players. Brey's good run was built on Jerian Grant, Demetrius Jackson, Pat Connaughton and Bonzie Colson... Really good athletes. NBA talent. Explosive guys.

2 of the 3 explosive players on this team are coming off significant knee injuries (Harvey and Hubb). Outside of Nate if he maximizes his potential and becomes an elite shooter, and Harvey if he improves drastically, I don't see any NBA type athleticism on this team... I actually think Juwan Durham has loads of talent, but it doesn't look like Brey wants to play him.

Going to be a long year guys. Probably a long couple of years.

Maybe a “ Kelly type intervention “ from Jack Swarbrick is needed for coach Brey.

There just aren't any athletes on this team... Harvey isn't back to 100% off the microfracture surgery yet (to be expected) and Hubb is just coming off an ACL... The white kids are good basketball players, I think Nate is going to be an excellent basketball player, but none of them are explosive basketball players. Brey's good run was built on Jerian Grant, Demetrius Jackson, Pat Connaughton and Bonzie Colson... Really good athletes. NBA talent. Explosive guys.

2 of the 3 explosive players on this team are coming off significant knee injuries (Harvey and Hubb). Outside of Nate if he maximizes his potential and becomes an elite shooter, and Harvey if he improves drastically, I don't see any NBA type athleticism on this team... I actually think Juwan Durham has loads of talent, but it doesn't look like Brey wants to play him.

Going to be a long year guys. Probably a long couple of years.
Lol.... imagine that, none of the white kids are explosive. Something tells me they’re all sneaky athletic heady players lol

i really don’t know much about this team but 2 things are apparent:
1 Radford has some players , who knows from where, but they are not an entirely bad team.
2 I wasn’t entirely wrong when (and I was lambasted) for saying Rex was a Division II talent at best. Great kid, great teammate blah blah blah I’m sure but he gets way too many minutes for his production.

Reactions: IrishMike409
“. Brey's good run was built on Jerian Grant, Demetrius Jackson, Pat Connaughton and Bonzie Colson... Really good athletes. NBA talent. Explosive guys.”

I’d agree w/ that other than bonzie. He didn’t produce because of athleticism or explosiveness. He was a just a great college basketball player because he knew how to use his length compared to his height and hit some back to the basket awkward shots & could spot up shoot very well. He wasn’t out-athleting anyone.

“. Brey's good run was built on Jerian Grant, Demetrius Jackson, Pat Connaughton and Bonzie Colson... Really good athletes. NBA talent. Explosive guys.”

I’d agree w/ that other than bonzie. He didn’t produce because of athleticism or explosiveness. He was a just a great college basketball player because he knew how to use his length compared to his height and hit some back to the basket awkward shots & could spot up shoot very well. He wasn’t out-athleting anyone.

Bonzie had uncanny toughness. Fair point that others were more explosive, but I still saw a really functional athlete, who was in tune with his own strengths and limitations.

Even VJ Beachem was a really good athlete who could get up vertically. It's a shame he didn't have the killer instinct to go along with it because he had plenty of skil.

I thought Jackson was gonna be a poor mans Russell Westbrook. I was so off

Reactions: francade
Basketball is just like football. There is limited practice time and it sometimes takes teams awhile to figure it out. There have been multiple cases where the trolls came out to insist John Beilein had to be fired because he had "lost his touch" The reality was his staff was just trying to work in the new players and it can sometimes take weeks to refine the strengths and cover the weaknesses.

Holy Crap

Did Buguit hack into IIO's account?

Nope, it's me...

I'm not stating anything like "Brey blows"... I'm just disappointed with the off season progress of the veterans on the ND basketball team. Brey's veterans traditionally get better. Outside of Mooney I'm not seeing it with this group. That's a shame given how young the depth is and how much the Irish need Pflueger, Gibbs, Burns and Djogo to be their leaders.

Reactions: sluggo69
Agreed, Ontario. Pfleuger has regressed, I’m afraid. I’m still holding out hope for burns (he looked pretty good the game before last), and Gibbs can’t hit a shot. We need to feed the ball to Mooney a lot and use Durham to protect the rim and rebound & hope the youngsters grow up quick. I’m hoping I’m dead wrong, and I’ll be happy as hell if I am, but it looks like it can be a down year from what we’ve come to expect the last 4-5 years.

Played a very nice second half on Saturday. And DJ seems to maybe think he needs to step up and become the go to guy. That would be great.

“There have been multiple cases where the trolls came out to insist John Beilein had to be fired because he had "lost his touch" “

Milk, I’ve always thought of beilein as one of the better coaches out there. He’s had a lot of success and seems like he runs a tight ship. I think the wolverine fans should be glad you have him. I assume you are.

Walshy, I noticed for the first time that Harvey is beginning to find his stroke. That will bring some much needed outside shooting to open things up. I’m gonna hold out some hope for this team, but I’m prepared for an up & down season. I also saw Durham hit a baseline jumper that I didn’t know he had in him. Play a bunch of guys and run a lot is what I think we should try. There’s some talent there, it’s just really inexperienced after Gibbs & pfleuger. Get Mooney some more minutes too and give him the green light that brey is known for to raise his confidence level even higher. He’s on his way to a breakout year, IMO.

Playing in the ACC is always gonna be up and down. There’s too many good teams, physically you’re gonna struggle some nights and the other teams have the athletes to pour it on

Just announced this morning that Elijah Burns is leaving the program, transferring at the end of this fall semester. We just got a lot smaller.

Just announced this morning that Elijah Burns is leaving the program, transferring at the end of this fall semester. We just got a lot smaller.

This is a good move for the program, IMO... He was never going to be an impact player at ND. He's not a great rebounder for his size. He's extremely limited offensively and he's not a great passer. Not a great fit in Brey's system...

Gibbs
Mooney
Harvey
Durham
Hubb
Laszewski
Carmody
Goodwin

Play that 8 man rotation as many minutes as they can handle. All of them have another year, and most of them have multiple years.

Pflueger is obviously going to play as well, but it's his final season. Time to look at the future.

We've had a good run of late. We don't take one-and-dones, so this was always going to be a rebuilding year. Patience.

For what it is worth, Burns is leaving the team after graduating at the end of the semester. While he was a captain... I don't think he played much?

ADVERTISEMENT