ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Minchey

I don't know if there's going to be packages for TB. We brought SH to win, so we could win games. Like, no more 8-4 seasons. And that's the imperative. So of course it's totally possible, but I'm just thinking they're going to be erring on the side of winning, winning now.... and not on coming up with creative ways to get their backup QB playing time. And that's definitely lower on the priority list. Especially if it's not needed. And the situation doesn't require a special package if/when SH pretty has it under control and we're winning...

Certainly in blowout wins we can get him in there for the fourth quarter. The one dynamic that could be different though is the transfer threat. And maybe he gets more PT as a concession to that new reality on the CFB scene. And certain coaches could be motivated to be more proactive about that. It's one thing to stick with your starting QB, in good conscience, and you do your job and win the game as a coach and you trust your starter. But if you do it that way, and then your backup QB who you were counting on for next season ends up flying the coop.... then maybe you try to get ahead of that. In a way that you wouldn't otherwise do and weren't planning on and don't really don't want to do as a coach, but now you're going to do it anyway to preempt a transfer you don't want to suffer from later.

So maybe it could go that way too....
They literally did this in the exact same situation with Buchner as a true freshman/Coan as the ‘winning’ QB transfer. You do it because the kids dynamic

Reactions: Ndapolis1
Note.... Wake let Hartman develop with reps on the field. This is desperately needed with Buchner. Hartman as a freshmen and sophomore wasn't setting the world on fire. His biggest jump was after his 3rd year playing and 22 games played. Prior to that Hartman had 15 ints.... He then had 14 and 12 picks his last two years. Both Hartman and Buchner throw to spots and make wrs make plays. It's going to result in ints.
Nailed it..this is what the new college landscape has bred, a bunch of message board NARPs looking for the sure fire transfer and abandoning the development of 18 year olds. Awful for all, fans and players alike

Maybe it will change with freeman but the past 10 seasons when have you seen the backup come in and actually be allowed to run the offense and throw the ball. Not many. Just hand off and usually the very last series of the game. Jmo.

People talking about Buchner accuracy, I don’t care how accurate he gets if his decision making and reading defenses doesn’t drastically improve … incredibly bad, more so than his accuracy

People talking about Buchner accuracy, I don’t care how accurate he gets if his decision making and reading defenses doesn’t drastically improve … incredibly bad, more so than his accuracy
He’s being replaced, again. Staff knows. They’re hoping he comes around but chances are slim.

They literally did this in the exact same situation with Buchner as a true freshman/Coan as the ‘winning’ QB transfer. You do it because the kids dynamic
So you're going to be all arrogant about this subject. TB is going to be an effin' junior in college, and yet his coaches believe in him so little that they're bringing in a fully proven veteran QB like SH when this should be TB's time to shine, but you're going to mouth off about how 'dynamic' he is, while SH is brought in to take at a minimum the lion's share of the reps.

And the last time TB was needlessly provided with random packages against random opponents, we almost lost both games, and the transfer QB had to reenter the game and save the day. But they're just going to keep pushing TB out there, because we know how much football coaches love having multiple QBs playing and how they seek out QB controversy in their program. You're so effin' right.....

Like I said, if TB is awesome in practice and he can somehow upset the applecart, then he might be the surprise starter. But if not, it's going to be SH. Which is why SH was recruited - to start. And if TB gets too many sympathy snaps, it will be a concerted effort by the coaches to stave off a transfer and not much more than that. Otherwise they would be content not to play him at all. That would be my thinking....

The throws he missed were not accuracy issues, they were of the yips. He made a accurate throws 20 yards down the field numerous times against SC but tipped a few screens/short ones into the dirt- to me thats not a Quarterback who is inaccurate but had some yips, that can be cleaned up. Those are the easy ones
Agree that he had the yips against SC on several short throws. He played all of two and a half games, threw for 3 TDs and 5 interceptions, and completed 55% of his passes. He was Not accurate on most of his long throws, and He missed numerous open opportunities, either due to not reading the defense properly or timely. I appreciate the passing game requires all eleven guys to do their job, and he was handicapped by poor line play and inexperienced receivers. I was all in on Buchner starting this past season, but totally taken back by how often he didn’t read the defense correctly or timely, and how often his passes were inaccurate. He needs to improve dramatically in these areas, and hope the combination of experience and development along with a potentially Very good OL, and better skilled receivers will all translate to his success. But I think Accuracy will be a chronic weakness.

So you're going to be all arrogant about this subject. TB is going to be an effin' junior in college, and yet his coaches believe in him so little that they're bringing in a fully proven veteran QB like SH when this should be TB's time to shine, but you're going to mouth off about how 'dynamic' he is, while SH is brought in to take at a minimum the lion's share of the reps.

And the last time TB was needlessly provided with random packages against random opponents, we almost lost both games, and the transfer QB had to reenter the game and save the day. But they're just going to keep pushing TB out there, because we know how much football coaches love having multiple QBs playing and how they seek out QB controversy in their program. You're so effin' right.....

Like I said, if TB is awesome in practice and he can somehow upset the applecart, then he might be the surprise starter. But if not, it's going to be SH. Which is why SH was recruited - to start. And if TB gets too many sympathy snaps, it will be a concerted effort by the coaches to stave off a transfer and not much more than that. Otherwise they would be content not to play him at all. That would be my thinking....
Arrogant and mouthing off haha My sincerest apologies for believing TB will have a package similar to how they used him as true freshman with Coan

Arrogant and mouthing off haha My sincerest apologies for believing TB will have a package similar to how they used him as true freshman with Coan
Yeah, but why the F do you think that, though? Just because you like the idea of it, and it does it for you? And we had packages for him as a true frosh, that weren't particularly fruitful or successful by the way.

That's what's annoying. That you just want TB to play, becuase he's 'dynamic', and I don't mean just garbage time, I mean full on play, even if it hurts the team, even if we'd be better served just sticking with SH as starter all the way through. Knowing full that well that having an undisputed, and superior starter take command of the QB position in a given season, is like a cardinal rule of football that all coaches try to achieve and adhere to.

So that's what's annoying. But in you're luck though, because I'm inclined to think that coaches more and more in situations like these will be less averse to playing a younger, or backup QB more so, even to the possible detriment of the team and its fortunes, in order to be proactive about dissuading possible transfers. But it's not because the backup QB is particularly dynamic or not.....

Yeah, but why the F do you think that, though? Just because you like the idea of it, and it does it for you? And we had packages for him as a true frosh, that weren't particularly fruitful or successful by the way.

That's what's annoying. That you just want TB to play, becuase he's 'dynamic', and I don't mean just garbage time, I mean full on play, even if it hurts the team, even if we'd be better served just sticking with SH as starter all the way through. Knowing full that well that having an undisputed, and superior starter take command of the QB position in a given season, is like a cardinal rule of football that all coaches try to achieve and adhere to.

So that's what's annoying. But in you're luck though, because I'm inclined to think that coaches more and more in situations like these will be less averse to playing a younger, or backup QB more so, even to the possible detriment of the team and its fortunes, in order to be proactive about dissuading possible transfers. But it's not because the backup QB is particularly dynamic or not.....
They were successful though.... you a fan or just a Jekyll supporter?

I simply stated a fact of how they used a dynamic true freshman to compliment a proven grad transfer in rebutting your opinion that they’ll give him sympathy snaps. I expect the same OC coach that clearly saw the benefit of bringing in a dynamic freshman for a change of pace will include some Tebow packages in 2023.

Reactions: Telx1
I simply stated a fact of how they used a dynamic true freshman to compliment a proven grad transfer in rebutting your opinion that they’ll give him sympathy snaps. I expect the same OC coach that clearly saw the benefit of bringing in a dynamic freshman for a change of pace will include some Tebow packages in 2023.
Well I don't think TB did much good as freshman and he probably shouldn't have played as much as he did. All's I can say is if he doesn't end up playing much, and there's no regular packages prepared for him, that we'll go with SH and be cool about it....

Reactions: lukeirish
Well I don't think TB did much good as freshman and he probably shouldn't have played as much as he did. All's I can say is if he doesn't end up playing much, and there's no regular packages prepared for him, that we'll go with SH and be cool about it....
why don’t you “think” he did that well and shouldn’t have played that much? Was it the 7.3 YPC? 68 long rush? Most fans were ecstatic on the 2021 performance and bewildered why he didn’t play against Ok St? Go ahead and mouth off your arrogant opinion as to to why he shouldn’t have played in 2021, we’re dying to hear it

why don’t you “think” he did that well and shouldn’t have played that much? Was it the 7.3 YPC? 68 long rush? Most fans were ecstatic on the 2021 performance and bewildered why he didn’t play against Ok St? Go ahead and mouth off your arrogant opinion as to to why he shouldn’t have played in 2021, we’re dying to hear it
Because as I said, he almost cost us two games while playing as a true freshman, on account of his F-ups. He flashed ability, and he has plenty of talent, but he did almost lose us the VTech game at least, Coan had to rescue us, and TB really had little business getting as much playing time as he did. I don't know, BK must have been feeling charitable that year. Coan himself wasn't overly experienced himself but SH most definitely is. In fact the only effin' takeaway from TB's previous little foray platooning at QB for ND with a grad transfer is that it's probably not the greatest idea, and is something to be avoided, and eventually they dropped it and we cruised to victory after victory with Coan as the unchallenged starter for the back half of the season....

In any case please tell me you've been a serious TB fanboy your entire life, and you haven't just decided this very recently because this is the new leg you're going to hump for next season. Because we don't really need a special package for our backup QB to get his quota of playing time every game. That's not what our situation particularly calls for. I'm happy for either one to win the job and then just leave the starter in peace. And I figure that will be SH. It's not my decision, naturally, but that's the smart money. IT'S WHY WE RECRUITED SH IN THE FIRST PLACE....

But to reiterate, they might play TB more anyway, so as to keep him from transferring, so you could get lucky....

I don't think TB will find his long-term success here. Hartman is here and like you said he will likely get the lion's share of the snaps. Minchey also coming in will probably take away time from TB and then Carr is on the horizon. I think TB is headed to the portal after this season. I think it will work out for him long-term at some other school.

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
I don't think TB will find his long-term success here. Hartman is here and like you said he will likely get the lion's share of the snaps. Minchey also coming in will probably take away time from TB and then Carr is on the horizon. I think TB is headed to the portal after this season. I think it will work out for him long-term at some other school.
Minchey made throws today that Buchner has difficulty making consistently. Minchey was known as the most consistent 2023 HS QB.

Reactions: lukeirish
When did he wow everyone?
His entire career and the elite 11.

"Mr. Dependable. Minchey’s consistent accuracy—for all three days of Elite 11—earned him respect for not only his technique but also his smarts. He knows when it’s time to dump it off or to fire away into a tight window. Of all the competitors competing at this year’s Elite 11, Minchey was arguably the most unflappable from one play to the next, evidenced by improving on his ranking each day."

Last edited:
I believe TR passed the torch (red cup) to KM as a parting gift!

Minchey and Carr cannot coexist.

Someone is transferring

Minchey sits freshman year then starts as a sophomore. If he plays good and looks like the guy that can carry ND to the playoffs and or championship, Carr will transfer.

His entire career and the elite 11.

"Mr. Dependable. Minchey’s consistent accuracy—for all three days of Elite 11—earned him respect for not only his technique but also his smarts. He knows when it’s time to dump it off or to fire away into a tight window. Of all the competitors competing at this year’s Elite 11, Minchey was arguably the most unflappable from one play to the next, evidenced by improving on his ranking each day."
If you're comparing high school, Buchner film blows Minchey away

Minchey and Carr cannot coexist.

Someone is transferring

Minchey sits freshman year then starts as a sophomore. If he plays good and looks like the guy that can carry ND to the playoffs and or championship, Carr will transfer.
Buchner most likely starter next year

If you're comparing high school, Buchner film blows Minchey away
He’s regressed since his junior film. Changed is throwing motion. Not to mention running QBs always dominate high school competition. Minchey has more NFL potential.

He threw for more tds than Minchey in his junior year
Easy competition. Also, he changed how he threw and never went back. Been a problem ever since. He also threw for more yards in high school than Tom Brady. So what’s your point? Anyone can sling the ball around against bad players. He stunk at the elite 11 when he was around his peers, he wasn’t good enough to gain the trust of Rees or Freeman hence the portal. He couldn’t beat out Coan. He was in a battle against Pyne at this time last year. Now he’s battling Hartman, who to you isn’t that great, but is still going to emerge ahead of him. Despite all of this talk about him needing experience, he can’t play an entire season and stay healthy. As a pure passer, Minchey has better mechanics, accuracy, and dependability. He’s taller, thicker, and looks like a QB. If he was a junior, he’d have a very good chance at beating out Hartman. In fact, Hartman never would have come to ND had he had to deal with Kenny Minchey. He said he and Buchner knew one another prior to his decision to come to ND. Hartman didn’t hesitate to compete with Buchner or forgo the NFL to do so.

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about the new transfer QB Freeman talked about in his presser yesterday? Interesting that a new OC and QB coach would bring a new transfer with them...

Does anyone know anything about the new transfer QB Freeman talked about in his presser yesterday? Interesting that a new OC and QB coach would bring a new transfer with them...
? Thought he said 4 qbs. Transfer is Hartman

Easy competition. Also, he changed how he threw and never went back. Been a problem ever since. He also threw for more yards in high school than Tom Brady. So what’s your point? Anyone can sling the ball around against bad players. He stunk at the elite 11 when he was around his peers, he wasn’t good enough to gain the trust of Rees or Freeman hence the portal. He couldn’t beat out Coan. He was in a battle against Pyne at this time last year. Now he’s battling Hartman, who to you isn’t that great, but is still going to emerge ahead of him. Despite all of this talk about him needing experience, he can’t play an entire season and stay healthy. As a pure passer, Minchey has better mechanics, accuracy, and dependability. He’s taller, thicker, and looks like a QB. If he was a junior, he’d have a very good chance at beating out Hartman. In fact, Hartman never would have come to ND had he had to deal with Kenny Minchey. He said he and Buchner knew one another prior to his decision to come to ND. Hartman didn’t hesitate to compete with Buchner or forgo the NFL to do so.
Exactly. Whats your point. Saying what Minchey did in HS is meaningless. Because if we are only using HS, Buchner was better than him

Hartman is going to his 6th year because he wanted to improve on his 6th rd to undrafted grade and make some nice NIL money too

His soph year was 17tds vs 10ints.

Also, Did he have 9 pick 6’s? Not all picks are created equal
BQ threw more passes in his frosh season than TB has thrown in his career. So comparing the numbers Buchners are better than his

So BQ threw 25 ints in his first 2 years?? Thank God we didnt give up on him. Thats bad. And only a 50 percent passer, yikes. I'm glad we had some sense to realize his talent and put good coaching around him and see him take off

Pick 6s are mostly a luck thing. I dont know how many of his 25 ints were pick 6s or not

ADVERTISEMENT