ADVERTISEMENT

Keely visit to Bama

Relax people. ND will have a top 5 class with or without Keely. Keep in mind that all of these 2023 kids still have their senior season's yet to play - some will rise and some will drop.

And it's not just some ND fans that are panicking. I follow a lot of the Big Ten teams and some OSU fans are complaining because they've lost a few defensive recruits the last couple of weeks. Just ridiculous. You can bet several of the top teams - including ND - will flip some players already committed to other teams and a lot of that will depend on how the 2023 season goes

false my boy told me we ain’t gettin Bowen or Keeley am that put us at 275 same as last yer am that with ajbsbery

Oh certainly. The 44-6 record the last 4 seasons and the two playoff appearances that created the recruiting momentum was all MF. Certainly.
You'd think he would have had a top 6 class then in the last 8 years prior then right?

You'd think he would have had a top 6 class then in the last 8 years prior then right?
When you finish 55-9 in the last 5 seasons, and you navigate the program to two CFB Playoffs during that time, how you get there is irrelevant to me.

For as lousy of a recruiter as you say Brian Kelly and his staff were, BK must have been one hell of a coach.

He hated that Freeman got hired. You can take a guess as to why
He wasn’t qualified similar to reasons why Rees wasn’t qualified. They’ve hid behind head coaches that run the show. Defense almost cost us vs fsu Toledo UNC and then did vs ok state

We will know if Rees is any good September 3rd

we will also know if this is freeman’s s or golden D then too by formations

with that said, I think he’ll do well because he checked his ego at the door and he inspires players and coaches to be better.

When you finish 55-9 in the last 5 seasons, and you navigate the program to two CFB Playoffs during that time, how you get there is irrelevant to me.

For as lousy of a recruiter as you say Brian Kelly and his staff were, BK must have been one hell of a coach.
Never said he was lousy or the staff.

There were real good staff recruiters and Kelly was a good recruiter when he put in the effort. Unfortunately that wasnt as much as needed.

MF is without question a better recruiter, I dont think anyone could argue against that

He wasn’t qualified similar to reasons why Rees wasn’t qualified. They’ve hid behind head coaches that run the show. Defense almost cost us vs fsu Toledo UNC and then did vs ok state

with that said, I think he’ll do well because he checked his ego at the door and he inspires players and coaches to be better.
Nope. The days leading up to his hire and the days after showed the type of person du lac is. It was disgusting. Obviously race involved from his own comments

He was absolutely qualified and if that was his contention then it would be worth debating but his comments said otherwise.

He'll do well because hes a very good coach, a natural leader, an elite recruiter, and he hired an excellent coaching staff.

He was plenty qualified and its showing so far

Never said he was lousy or the staff.

There were real good staff recruiters and Kelly was a good recruiter when he put in the effort. Unfortunately that wasnt as much as needed.

MF is without question a better recruiter, I dont think anyone could argue against that
Indeed a better recruiter. MF is not recruiting an elite class on the level of Alabama and Georgia the last few seasons; however, for Notre Dame and its inherent challenges recruiting against Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State, MF is an elite recruiter.

Indeed a better recruiter. MF is not recruiting an elite class on the level of Alabama and Georgia the last few seasons; however, for Notre Dame and its inherent challenges recruiting against Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State, MF is an elite recruiter.
Elite recruiter period

Not on Alabama’s level. Not close actually.

Alabama signed 29 Rivals 100 players in 2021(13) and 2022(16).

Marcus Freeman has 6 in 2023.
MF wasnt here in 21. And he didnt take over as HC until dec for the 22 class.

In the 23 class, he has a higher ranked class than Ga and also a higher player avg. Higher class but not higher player avg than Alabama.

So yes, hes on that level.

And with all that success that you said BK had, its not even close to the success on the field of a Bama and Georgia. Just imagine if BK even was clise to the on field suceess of those 2 how hed be doing.

Hopefully MF can close that enormous gap

In the 23 class, he has a higher ranked class than Ga and also a higher player avg. Higher class but not higher player avg than Alabama.

And with all that success that you said BK had, its not even close to the success on the field of a Bama and Georgia. Just imagine if BK even was clise to the on field suceess of those 2 how hed be doing.

I think that MF has the "new popular coach" thing going in his recruiting right now. That happens at a lot of major CF powers when they have a coaching change. MF's biggest challenge is having big-time success - on the field - to keep his momentum going. His assistants will really play a huge part in helping a first-time CF Head coach succeed. Right now, opposing coaches - recruiting against him - are trying to use his lack of experience against him in recruiting.

Reactions: tbonesays
I think that MF has the "new popular coach" thing going in his recruiting right now. That happens at a lot of major CF powers when they have a coaching change. MF's biggest challenge is having big-time success - on the field - to keep his momentum going. His assistants will really play a huge part in helping a first-time CF Head coach succeed. Right now, opposing coaches - recruiting against him - are trying to use his lack of experience against him in recruiting.
And it's not working .

He was a very good recruiter as a DC. Some guys can just recruit. He's one of them

n
Notre Dame has won a boatload of football games the last 5 seasons. Brian Kelly Finished 55-8 in his last 5 campaigns in South Bend, guided his team to two recent CFB playoffs, and handed Marcus Freeman essentially a newly renovated, turn key home.

Marcus Freeman has taken that home, and program momentum, and improved it even more with high intensity recruiting; however, yes, the play on the field needs to sustain. I hope it does.

And it's not working .

He was a very good recruiter as a DC. Some guys can just recruit. He's one of them
Yes, he's a very good recruiter but you really can't think a subpar 1st season or two won't affect future recruiting, There's a reason Saban gets every recruit's attention and gets a majority of kids he goes after. All he has to do is point at his past results

I visit the B1G boards quite a bit and OSU is kind of going through the same thing with their defensive recruits. They're having a subpar (for them) defensive recruiting 2023 haul as recruits are in a "wait and see" mode with their new defensive staff and the on-field results. It just makes sense.

If Notre Dame admitted football players who were not expected to attend class and simply wanted the easiest path to the NFL, then I would agree with you.

If you expect Marcus Freeman to annually recruit like Alabama, Georgia, And Ohio St., wonderful. We don’t share that expectation.

Apples. Oranges.

Reactions: Classic Irish
If Notre Dame admitted football players who were not expected to attend class and simply wanted the easiest path to the NFL, then I would agree with you.

If you expect Marcus Freeman to annually recruit like Alabama, Georgia, And Ohio St., wonderful. We don’t share that expectation.

Apples. Oranges.
We are right now and if we win under MF it will only get better.

We shall see

Relax people. ND will have a top 5 class with or without Keely. Keep in mind that all of these 2023 kids still have their senior season's yet to play - some will rise and some will drop.

And it's not just some ND fans that are panicking. I follow a lot of the Big Ten teams and some OSU fans are complaining because they've lost a few defensive recruits the last couple of weeks. Just ridiculous. You can bet several of the top teams - including ND - will flip some players already committed to other teams and a lot of that will depend on how the 2023 season goes
The thing the naysayers, and panic stricken forgot is this is bigtime football recruiting- period. There will be a lot of kids taking looks when you're in the top 100 and EVERYONE wants you. For the first time in 14 years, it seems virtually all of ND's recruits are wanted by names like Bama, Oregon, UGA, USC, OSU, TAMU, LSU, Michigan, and Oklahoma. Prior to the arrival of Freeman, and him taking over and assembling this great recruiting staff when could we have ever said that? It speaks to the quality of recruiting...sure we landed a couple each year that probably had a couple of the offers listed above, but they were obvious ND guys, and those schools knew it early and never pressed hard. We haven't been accustomed to this level of poaching in quite a while.

We're battling toe-to-toe with the elite, the consistent national playoff contenders which is how we become a serious playoff contender. We're neck and neck with Clemson for Hanafin, and that was after he decided against Bama, Love is between us, Bama, and TAMU, Ausberry we're right there. Cooper Flanagan had a USC, Oregon, and Bama offers. NO ELITE PROGRAM is immune to poaching, as we can see with Malachi Nelson visiting TAMU this weekend. It is understood among the elite that the elite will continue to recruit the elite even if they're committed because that is how you stay elite. The goal of an elite program is to keep as many of those elites committed and be prepared for the contingency to do some elite poaching yourselves- hellow Caleb Herring.

I can go on, and on, but when you choose to be elite...and everyone wants to win National Titles...you have to contend with the big boys. That means there is a lot of uncertainty that will go on until they sign on the dotted line. Be prepared because I also believe we've done a wonderful job of talent evaluation the past couple years. I could see other guys having amazing senior seasons and blowing up as other big schools lose their targets. I look at an Adon Shuler who's done very little camps and I think he's taller now then the 6ft list, and is a workout king...I think if he blows things up and has a great post season he's a guy you could see an Alabama, UGA, and PSU make another run at, ditto for Vernon, Bell, Paige, and James...Peyton Bowen will continue to have programs begging him because he is truly elite, so is Keon, and Gray, and Jagusah because they are program changers. No program will stop recruiting a program changer until he changes his number. That's just the facts.

We are right now and if we win under MF it will only get better.

We shall see
Careful using logic around here. Once again, almost universally the recruits we've committed or are competing for have all been aggressively recruited by all the national elite and in most cases by the perpetual playoff contenders. That couldn't be said for certain in the past, and while some will disagree because they think every ND commit is a 5 star, I believe in the past 10 years or so many ND commits were ranked higher then they should because they committed to ND. Look at the 2020 class, you'd have a hard time explaining how Brunnelle, Pyne, and Johnson deserved their ranking, Offord too, as well as Bauman, and Carmody. Look at the 2019 class, Rutherford, Clark, Ekwonu, Nana, Carroll, Ajavon, Olmsteaad, Spears, and Wallace were all grossly overrated. I look at this class, and the last class, and certainly the start of the 2024 class and I see very little overrating, and in fact I see some underrating and the fact we're going toe-to-toe with the elite. Kelly won because he and his staff's were still good evaluators of talent despite not grabbing elite all the time, with a lighter schedule, and good coaching it wasn't hard to manufacture 10 wins with a good program manager like Kelly.

Progress on the field could change the trajectory, but as it stands going forward this staff and with Freeman will continually contend annually for a real top 5 recruiting finish annually. I can't see how anyone could say otherwise.

Reactions: tbonesays
“you guys”? yer own party would destroy you 4 that comment you pig biggot misogynist transphobic scum
I don't have a party; I prefer to think for myself. You should try it sometime. No, when I say "you guys", I'm talking about tragically lonely, fringe-dwelling incels who don't know the difference between woke politics and skin color.

a person who can take any comment and read racism into it can do so because of racism being part of their every bodily pore, their every thought, their every motivation and failure; they are pure racists. But it is everyone else’s fault.

The thing the naysayers, and panic stricken forgot is this is bigtime football recruiting- period. There will be a lot of kids taking looks when you're in the top 100 and EVERYONE wants you. For the first time in 14 years, it seems virtually all of ND's recruits are wanted by names like Bama, Oregon, UGA, USC, OSU, TAMU, LSU, Michigan, and Oklahoma. Prior to the arrival of Freeman, and him taking over and assembling this great recruiting staff when could we have ever said that? It speaks to the quality of recruiting...sure we landed a couple each year that probably had a couple of the offers listed above, but they were obvious ND guys, and those schools knew it early and never pressed hard. We haven't been accustomed to this level of poaching in quite a while.

We're battling toe-to-toe with the elite, the consistent national playoff contenders which is how we become a serious playoff contender. We're neck and neck with Clemson for Hanafin, and that was after he decided against Bama, Love is between us, Bama, and TAMU, Ausberry we're right there. Cooper Flanagan had a USC, Oregon, and Bama offers. NO ELITE PROGRAM is immune to poaching, as we can see with Malachi Nelson visiting TAMU this weekend. It is understood among the elite that the elite will continue to recruit the elite even if they're committed because that is how you stay elite. The goal of an elite program is to keep as many of those elites committed and be prepared for the contingency to do some elite poaching yourselves- hellow Caleb Herring.

I can go on, and on, but when you choose to be elite...and everyone wants to win National Titles...you have to contend with the big boys. That means there is a lot of uncertainty that will go on until they sign on the dotted line. Be prepared because I also believe we've done a wonderful job of talent evaluation the past couple years. I could see other guys having amazing senior seasons and blowing up as other big schools lose their targets. I look at an Adon Shuler who's done very little camps and I think he's taller now then the 6ft list, and is a workout king...I think if he blows things up and has a great post season he's a guy you could see an Alabama, UGA, and PSU make another run at, ditto for Vernon, Bell, Paige, and James...Peyton Bowen will continue to have programs begging him because he is truly elite, so is Keon, and Gray, and Jagusah because they are program changers. No program will stop recruiting a program changer until he changes his number. That's just the facts.
Great perspective ... thank you!

a person who can take any comment and read racism into it can do so because of racism being part of their every bodily pore, their every thought, their every motivation and failure; they are pure racists. But it is everyone else’s fault.
No

Nope. The days leading up to his hire and the days after showed the type of person du lac is. It was disgusting. Obviously race involved from his own comments

He was absolutely qualified and if that was his contention then it would be worth debating but his comments said otherwise.

He'll do well because hes a very good coach, a natural leader, an elite recruiter, and he hired an excellent coaching staff.

He was plenty qualified and its showing so far
Except in games

Except in games
He's been a very good DC in games as well. Checked all the boxes that am assistant can and a head coach can before his first game.

Just gotta check the most important ones when the season starts.

But so far he's aced his job

He's been a very good DC in games as well. Checked all the boxes that am assistant can and a head coach can before his first game.

Just gotta check the most important ones when the season starts.

But so far he's aced his job
Honest question; what game last year did you see good adjustments from freeman?

Reactions: Rionegro
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT