ADVERTISEMENT

Just something that caught my eye about the "big" three" opponents on the schedule:

Harpo Marxist

I've posted how many times?
Sep 11, 2002
I am talking about USC, Ohio State and Clemson. All three of these teams lost in their bowl game last season.

USC lost to Tulane in the Cotton 46-45.
OSU lost to GA in the Peach Bowl (play off) 42-41.
Clemson lost to Tennessee in the Orange Bowl. (31-14)

Not comparing the games...all were high major bowls...two were heartbreakers for the losers.

Otherwise....all three of these teams are hellbent on getting to the playoffs and winning a Natty. Notre Dame stands in their way...just like they stand in ours. I just think there's a chip on their shoulder there, that they plan on taking out on ND.. ND should have one of its own for each. We have been spanked by two of these teams recently....and basically have found some redemption with Clemson...but that game is in their house. To sweep these three this season is hard to imagine....but I am trying.

Reactions: sluggo69
I am talking about USC, Ohio State and Clemson. All three of these teams lost in their bowl game last season.

Not comparing the games...all were high major bowls...two were heartbreakers for the losers.

Otherwise....all three of these teams are hellbent on getting to the playoffs and winning a Natty. Notre Dame stands in their way...just like they stand in ours. I just think there's a chip on their shoulder there, that they plan on taking out on ND.. ND should have one of its own for each. We have been spanked by two of these teams recently....and basically have found some redemption with Clemson...but that game is in their house. To sweep these three this season is hard to imagine....but I am trying.
"We have been spanked by two of these teams recently."

I would not call a 21-10 and 38-27 loss a "spanking"

"We have been spanked by two of these teams recently."

I would not call a 21-10 and 38-27 loss a "spanking"
I'm old school.....to me 2 scores is a spanking. Probably just a habit carried over from when games had lower scores and 2 scores was a wider gap. Maybe its a scolding....not a spanking.

I'm old school.....to me 2 scores is a spanking. Probably just a habit carried over from when games had lower scores and 2 scores was a wider gap. Maybe its a scolding....not a spanking.
The Ohio State game was a 4 point difference into the 4th -- until OSU went on a 90+ yard drive to seal the game (wish ND had some type of offensive game plan other than to eat the clock and limit possessions)

USC -- Down 10 coming out of the half and driving -- until the awful fumble and USC takes it and scores - huge swing -- after that the 2nd half was pretty much even (with SC keeping the 10 point lead). I still think had ND been able to put 7 on the board and cut it to 17-14, it "might" have been different. But, as we know, "ifs and buts and candy and nuts"

Last edited:

It's a legitimate concern based on a common sense perspective.

I'm reminded of 1988, when ND opened against #9 UM, played #1 Miami mid-season and finished with #2 USC. Having won all three of those games, it then had to play #3 West Viriginia in the Fiesta Bowl to win the NC, which it did.

But that was a POWERHOUSE team that has NOT been replicated since.

Question is, will the three teams you cited be as strong as UM, Miami and USC were in 88? Good question. Yet, they very well COULD BE.

Second question, will this year's ND team be on a par with the 88 team? If it is, there's something POTENTIALLY about it that I am as yet UNAWARE OF.

In any event, ND doesn't have to be as good as the 88 team to beat Clemson, OSU and USC, but IT MIGHT REALLY HELP IF IT WERE.

Reactions: d1042 and Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT