ADVERTISEMENT

Join the ACC

The past two years ND likely would have owned the Coastal (my guess on where ND would fit) and played in the championship game.

As a fan this would be more entertaining...oh well, let's hope for the Sun Bowl again!

It is kind of tough because with Notre Dame it is a national championship or nothing. Winning a conference championship it's kind of cool.

They should really consider it. The conference is getting stronger in football. Clemson and FSU are obviously stacked. But Duke and UNC are much improved, Pitt is going to be making noise and Richt will get Miami going again. The Coastal would be an ideal fit. With the looming ACC Network deal coming to fruition there will be revenue money to go around.

Reactions: Volasaurus
They should really consider it. The conference is getting stronger in football. Clemson and FSU are obviously stacked. But Duke and UNC are much improved, Pitt is going to be making noise and Richt will get Miami going again. The Coastal would be an ideal fit. With the looming ACC Network deal coming to fruition there will be revenue money to go around.
Ummm, Louisville says Hello!

Reactions: Volasaurus
That extra game against a ranked opponent and the title of conference champ might be the difference maker for a one loss Irish team with regards to the playoff some seasons.

The conference does seem to be trending upwards when you consider the quality of teams and the addition of the network.

Reactions: mbd11
As a kid in the 1960's and 70's I could never understand why Notre Dame would not join the Big-10. They seemed regionally to be a good fit. As a Clemson fan I would love to see ND in the ACC, it just doesn't seem the more natural fit of the Big-10. ND would definitely be immediately in the conference upper echelon. Even this year, with the first game loss to Texas, ND could work their way back into the playoff picture by winning a conference championship game. As it stands now, ND would need several breaks ahead of them to happen in order to be back in the picture. Frankly I do not see ND ever joining the ACC for football. I believe the ACC will eventually break away from ND and move in another direction in the future when conference expansion starts moving again. I believe that ND still figures they can win consideration just by name and tradition alone. ND definitely is superior to most in that, and surely has a prestigious past, but in today's set up I believe a conference affiliation will probably be a necessity. It's just how long will ND wait for the inevitable? It will surely cost them while waiting.

Reactions: TigersProw1
As a kid in the 1960's and 70's I could never understand why Notre Dame would not join the Big-10. They seemed regionally to be a good fit. As a Clemson fan I would love to see ND in the ACC, it just doesn't seem the more natural fit of the Big-10. ND would definitely be immediately in the conference upper echelon. Even this year, with the first game loss to Texas, ND could work their way back into the playoff picture by winning a conference championship game. As it stands now, ND would need several breaks ahead of them to happen in order to be back in the picture. Frankly I do not see ND ever joining the ACC for football. I believe the ACC will eventually break away from ND and move in another direction in the future when conference expansion starts moving again. I believe that ND still figures they can win consideration just by name and tradition alone. ND definitely is superior to most in that, and surely has a prestigious past, but in today's set up I believe a conference affiliation will probably be a necessity. It's just how long will ND wait for the inevitable? It will surely cost them while waiting.
I agree, as much as I love our independence, the landscape of college sports has dictated change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT