ADVERTISEMENT

What does ND do if Accexit occurs?

There's nothing wrong with the schedule.

Be disappointed. I'm certainly not.
I understand the Army game was a one-time thing because Miami cancelled. And of course, we play Navy every year. So I guess it's the 2 games against MAC teams that are more disappointing. I could see maybe scheduling one of those a year - but not two.

The Playoff Committee will be looking at schedule strength as a criteria when they choose the at-large teams at the end of the season.

I understand the Army game was a one-time thing because Miami cancelled. And of course, we play Navy every year. So I guess it's the 2 games against MAC teams that are more disappointing. I could see maybe scheduling one of those a year - but not two.

The Playoff Committee will be looking at schedule strength as a criteria when they choose the at-large teams at the end of the season.
Scheduling isn't easy.

I am simply thankful Notre Dame Football is not a member of the Big 10. An awful conference to watch play, unless you need a nap.

I know im viewed as the trasher of ND football or whatever but how can I look the other way when I see such stupidity and naivety constantly taking place with my favorite football organization/team/school (whatever you want to call it these days) ? 🤔

That's because you are. You never say one single positive thing about ND. You trash ND at every opportunity.

Reactions: BGI User 756

It's a smart move by us to schedule some combination of 2 level Mac type teams with Navy.

9 p4 games and 3 lower level type games but no fcs teams

That's the perfect combination to me. The goal is to hit 11 wins a year or 10 if the schedule is really tough. That locks us into the Playoffs every year

It's a smart move by us to schedule some combination of 2 level Mac type teams with Navy.

9 p4 games and 3 lower level type games but no fcs teams

That's the perfect combination to me. The goal is to hit 11 wins a year or 10 if the schedule is really tough. That locks us into the Playoffs every year
I'd prefer only one of those plus Navy - so 10 P4 games.

And those games are kind of boring to watch - unless you enjoy watching 3rd-stringers scoring touchdowns in the 4th quarter, to put us up 65-7. I suppose they're good for resting the starters a little bit, though.

I'd prefer only one of those plus Navy - so 10 P4 games.

And those games are kind of boring to watch - unless you enjoy watching 3rd-stringers scoring touchdowns in the 4th quarter, to put us up 65-7. I suppose they're good for resting the starters a little bit, though.
If you want boring, try watching Iowa-Illinois. Or Purdue-Northwestern. Or Indiana-Michigan St.

7 of top 10 most watched games last year involved a team that will be in the Big Ten this year. Maybe people were just napping and left their TV's on.
Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, Indiana, and Michigan State must not have been involved.

Awful brand of football.

And watching Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio St. is not much better.

All of these teams are still more competitive than the G5-level trash in the bottom of the ACC
Out of curiosity, I looked up their HTH record last year: Each conference went 4-4 against each other last year.

All of these teams are still more competitive than the G5-level trash in the bottom of the ACC
And after about a decade of Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana and Michigan St getting Big Ten TV payouts while the ACC gets Swoffordian chump change, then how competitive will the G5-level trash in the bottom of the ACC be?

Navy is now a MAC level program. Two MAC games is acceptable, but three will hurt you in SOS comparisons at the end of the year. A 10-2 ND playing a soft schedule will be compared to 9-3 & 10-3 teams that have played tougher schedules.

Right, that's my point. The Big East has far better travel logistics, top basketball teams and zero required football games. Plus most of the schools are Catholic. Why stay in a watered down ACC where the top brands are desperately trying to get out?
I believe the Big East is only good for one sport.

Notre Dame is contractually obligated to play at least five games per season vs the ACC until the early 2030s I believe. So nothing happens. That contract/deal is turning out to be a complete and total dumpster fire for Notre Dame especially right now with all the transition going on in the sport and Notre Dame already contractually obligated to the worst p4 conference in football for another decade into the future

I know fans don't think about this but when you're playing half of your schedule against really bad competition it erodes the quality of your brand and in this college football business your brand is everything
Actually Bama played some really awful half-schedules or more. We will be fine.

What happens to if Clemson, FSU and Miami leave the ACC? The ACC minus those three schools will essentially be another G5 conference. Half of ND's schedule will be ACC cupcakes plus Navy.

So what's the plan if Accexit happens? Fewer ACC football games? Switch to Big East for Olympic sports?
Guess we will have to downgrade and schedule Purdue annually again..

The schedule have declined drastically since the start of the ACC deal. That entire conference minus like 1 or 2 schools simply hasn't been competitive. Tying our brand to that conference is not helping the brand at all. ND is being viewed by athletes in football like we view some mid ACC school "vanilla" "mid" "unremarkable" and you can tell by the type of prospects we are attracting in kind.

Put yourself in the shoes of the #1 prospect in the country trying to decide on what school is going to help elevate his status as a prospect and elevate his brand (because every major FBS school offers a top tier education)

Do you go to ND to play a bunch of nobodies in the ACC or do you go to the SEC and BIG 10 where the best competition, best coaches, biggest money, and biggest games on TV are going to be week in and week out?

I know im viewed as the trasher of ND football or whatever but how can I look the other way when I see such stupidity and naivety constantly taking place with my favorite football organization/team/school (whatever you want to call it these days) ? 🤔
You are still the same asshat you have always been. Your buddy here started another thread that helps you take a shot at ND.

You just contradicted yourself here (AGAIN) …how is Prime landing all those superstars with the Buffs schedule? Lol

We have a weaker-than-usual schedule this year, with 2 MAC teams and 2 service academies on the docket. And I don't see it getting any easier to put together a good schedule in the future, if the P2 went to his 10 conference games each.
Yes, weak schedule this year. Very similar to the Mich and PSU schedules over the past 20 years

And ND is now playing essentially in the minor league of big boy football ... it's just wonderful!

The teams in the big 10 and sec are going to be playing top tier competition week in and week out -- in ratings busters matchups that top-tier recruits love to watch and be apart of -- with huge national media attention while ND will be playing 60% of their schedule vs military academies and the stanfords, wake forests and virginias of the world lol
And your boy Deion, who you have slobbered over the past 12 months, all the way to a 4-8 record, plays ND State, Co State, UCF, Cincy, Okie State….and powerhouses Nebraska, Texas Tech, and Kansas …

The SEC schedules 2 FCS teams each year. Did you see Georgia's schedule last season?

The SEC schedules 2 FCS teams each year. Did you see Georgia's schedule last season?
That is why Georgia didn't make the playoff. Their one loss to Alabama was easily their toughest game of the year.

Truth be told, if I played in the SEC, I would do the same.
Redacted article from today's The Athletic in the NY Times: “SEC still looking for more ESPN money to go to 9 conference games”

DESTIN, Fla. — The SEC office hasn’t given up trying to get more money from ESPN in exchange for adding a ninth conference game. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said the conference had “conversations with ESPN’s leadership a couple weeks ago just to re-engage” on the schedule, including to “help them understand that if we stay at eight what’s absent from the schedule.”

Namely, rivalry games such as Texas-Texas A&M, Alabama–Tennessee and Georgia–Auburn would not be played on an annual basis. The eight-game format calls for each team to only have one annual opponent and play everyone else twice every four years. The nine-game format would have three annual opponents and play everyone else bi-annually.

• Haha
Reactions: tbonesays
7 of top 10 most watched games last year involved a team that will be in the Big Ten this year. Maybe people were just napping and left their TV's on.
Yes, that’s next year

So you are counting the games for next year while trying to defend last years ratings….Actually it was 5 last year and let’s look at them

OSU-Mich
Mich -Iowa big 10 champ (yes people fell asleep and left their TVs on)
OSU-ND
PSU-OSU
Mich-PSU

Outside of Mich and OSU, the big 10 is more boring than not

In fact, if you also realize that Colorado appeared in 2, SEC Champ game was 1, and Pac12 champ and FSU-LSU matchup were the other 2, it was also a factor of date/time the game was played

Reactions: tbonesays
Truth be told, if I played in the SEC, I would do the same.
Again, you miss the facts. Those “tough” SEC schedules rarely go north, almost never go into good environments, have 8 home games that include 4 patsies…the myth of that schedule is overhyped

Again, you miss the facts. Those “tough” SEC schedules rarely go north, almost never go into good environments, have 8 home games that include 4 patsies…the myth of that schedule is overhyped
Go read national champion Michigan's schedule from last year.

To slam the SEC for over hyped schedules is simply unfair.

Yes, that’s next year

So you are counting the games for next year while trying to defend last years ratings….Actually it was 5 last year and let’s look at them

OSU-Mich
Mich -Iowa big 10 champ (yes people fell asleep and left their TVs on)
OSU-ND
PSU-OSU
Mich-PSU

Outside of Mich and OSU, the big 10 is more boring than not

In fact, if you also realize that Colorado appeared in 2, SEC Champ game was 1, and Pac12 champ and FSU-LSU matchup were the other 2, it was also a factor of date/time the game was played
Yes every year it takes a lot of words to point out that the biggest football programs get the best tv timeslots and highest audiences. Going by 'conference' is now a useless comparison because all of the big programs moved into two leagues.

Go read national champion Michigan's schedule from last year.

To slam the SEC for over hyped schedules is simply unfair.
No, it’s not. Mich schedule being easy doesn’t negate the facts I stated about SEC. In fact Mich scheduled a lot like the SEC

No, it’s not. Mich schedule being easy doesn’t negate the facts I stated about SEC. In fact Mich scheduled a lot like the SEC
2024 Florida Football Schedule.

Miami
Samford
TAM
At Mississippi State
UCF
At Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia
At Texas
LSU
Mississippi
At Florida St.

Are the last 5 games over-- hyped?

Miami
Samford
TAM
At Mississippi State
UCF
At Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia
At Texas
LSU
Mississippi
At Florida St.

LSU? 19 losses last 4 years overhyped
Miss? 15 losses last 4 years overhyped
FSU? 16 losses in 20-22, great year last year, let’s see if it’s maintained. Strong game

UGA is tough game. Texas is Uber talented, yet has lost to Okie ( 3 of last 4 years), 7 losses in 2021, lost to TCU 2 out of last 4 years, 5 losses in 2022

Yes overhyped

Miami
Samford
TAM
At Mississippi State
UCF
At Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia
At Texas
LSU
Mississippi
At Florida St.

That's a tough schedule, I must admit. They play 8 teams that are currently being ranked in most top 25s.

Last edited:

Miami
Samford
TAM
At Mississippi State
UCF
At Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia
At Texas
LSU
Mississippi
At Florida St.

Florida isn't a national contender. Just because you can find one team in the SEC that is going to play a tough schedule doesn't mean that is the norm for the conference.

Florida isn't a national contender. Just because you can find one team in the SEC that is going to play a tough schedule doesn't mean that is the norm for the conference.
What is the norm for the Big 10?

East Carolina
Bowling Green
UNLV
Rutgers
At Nebraska
At Minnesota
Indiana
At Michigan St.

Michigan is a national contender. First 8 games last season.

Last edited:
Guess we will have to downgrade and schedule Purdue annually again..
It's ironic that you would single out Purdue on your schedule. The Boilermakers play four top ten teams this year - Oregon, Ohio State, Penn State and ND - and is ranked higher than half of the schools on ND's schedule - Army, Navy, UVA, Stanford, Miami of Ohio and Northern Illinois.

I don’t know remotely enough about any of this to argue a position, but if I had access to someone "WHO KNEW ALL THE ANSWERS," these would be my questions:
  • What role, IF ANY, did ND’S thinking it could dominate ACC teams play in it SEMI-JOINING that conference? I believe ND’s record since that time against ACC opponents is 41-9.
  • Why EXACTLY is ND scheduling more MAC teams when it already a) plays five games annually in a conference in which it has an 82% WINNING PERCENTAGE b) regularly plays the service academies, all three of which it DOMINATES and c) regularly plays its share of games against SECOND-TIER TEAMS from various conferences?
  • Is it because were ND to play in either the BIG or the SEC, it would be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to win 70% of its games?
  • SURE, every good program schedules cupcakes but HOW INTRINSICALLY is ND MANAGING PERCEPTIONS even as it uses INDEPENDENCE as a kind of SACRED COW – or at least COVER – to allow it to SOFTEN SCHEDULES so as to remain CONSISTENTLY COMPETITIVE?
  • And if none of this plays any role in ND’S METHODOLGY, then WHAT DOES?
The one point I’ll speculate on here is that ND seems more interested in CONTROLLING ITS DESTINY in ways that teams belonging to conferences already CAN’T and in all likelihood will BE EVEN LESS ABLE TO in the future.

So, bottom line question:
  • IS ND merely trying to write itself A MORE FAVORABLE SCRIPT even as CFB proceeds to both REGULARIZE and HOMOGENIZE the sport and as a result, eliminate the kind of FREELANCING at which ND excels?

Reactions: Quix0te
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT