ADVERTISEMENT

Jagusah out for the season.

Tough news. Next man in.

In addition to the names mentioned, how about Lambert? Alt and Fisher started as freshmen.

Reactions: Kelso86
Never said it wouldn't. You do your best with what's available. It really is that simple. I don't think this is a season crushing injury by any stretch of the imagination. I just dont.
The OL is by far the biggest concern on this team.

Charles Jagusah started at LT, with zero close competition. for a reason.

I'm not sure you can definitively say any team is capable of doing that or winning a conference championship game and three playoff games. Someone will but it will be a difficult road for them.
I have followed Notre Dame Football for awhile.

If I believed that this 2024 team had realistic title expectations I would say so.

IMO the overall roster is not a championship, title winning team.

Especially now that you have to win not 2, but 4 games.

Lot of possibilities in play. This is brutal

Does Wagner go to left and play Tosh at right. Does Absher get in the mix at either spot. Not sure what the move is going to be
Doubt it. Wagner has been (at least what i've heard) 100% RT, Tosh has played both

My guess right now is Wagner at left tackle and Baker, Absher and Knapp battle at right
Absher and Knapp have been taking their reps at LT or Guard.

I think wagner stays at right and it's a baker, absher, knapp battle at Left with Tosh most likely candidate rolling out at A&M

I have followed Notre Dame Football for awhile.

If I believed that this 2024 team had realistic title expectations I would say so.

IMO the overall roster is not a championship, title winning team.

Especially now that you have to win not 2, but 4 games.
Ever team will have to play 4-5 games extra to win it all.

Conference championship is ND's bye

The OL is by far the biggest concern on this team.

Charles Jagusah started at LT, with zero close competition. for a reason.
Jagusah was the next man up after Alt declared for the draft. He started ONE game. Now if this injury occurred to Joe Alt after he had chosen to return it would be a much bigger deal. Losing a proven elite player and team leader would be much more devastating.

Absher and Knapp have been taking their reps at LT or Guard.

I think wagner stays at right and it's a baker, absher, knapp battle at Left with Tosh most likely candidate rolling out at A&M
Probably correct. I can see it being a fluid situation until someone definitively grabs it.

Reactions: Get Nasty
Jagusah was the next man up after Alt declared for the draft. He started ONE game. Now if this injury occurred to Joe Alt after he had chosen to return it would be a much bigger deal. Losing a proven elite player and team leader would be much more devastating.
Except you had someone the coaches were extremely confident in and that is extremely talented behind alt.

We lost ALT and Jagusah. That leaves really our 3rd option at LT.

Reactions: edub72
I just don't see how an unproven player is an enormous loss. The room is talented but inexperienced just like Jagusah.
Because if Tosh Baker is the answer. IT's a wrong answer chosen by no other choice.

It's not that jagusah was going to be first team AA, it's that there seems to be a huge gap at this point between him and the next LT, and that's a gap from someone as you say, has started one game.

To say it another way, it's not that jagusah would be the reason we'd win games, but the drop off seems to be very big from him to the "next man up".

Reactions: Telx1
Not only was Jagusah next man up, no one was close to competing with him.

If Tosh Baker is next, that’s a serious serious gap:

Reactions: Chitown11
Not only was Jagusah next man up, no one was close to competing with him.

If Tosh Baker is next, that’s a serious serious gap:
I doubt Baker is the season long answer. He may be the guy week 1 from an experience standpoint though. 3 weeks is a fair amount of time to see if someone stands out.

Because if Tosh Baker is the answer. IT's a wrong answer chosen by no other choice.

It's not that jagusah was going to be first team AA, it's that there seems to be a huge gap at this point between him and the next LT, and that's a gap from someone as you say, has started one game.

To say it another way, it's not that jagusah would be the reason we'd win games, but the drop off seems to be very big from him to the "next man up".
That's the big unknown. Based on folks I talked to after the spring Knapp opened some eyes. Not ideal size but very impressive with his technique and excellent feet. We shall see. I d rather see a young guy learn on the job than see Baker. No upside there.

Reactions: Telx1 and Chitown11
Jagusah more promise then performance
big but not like losing a consensus all american
Doesn't matter if he was a consensus All American or a true freshman

All that mattered was how much better he was then the number 2 and from what everyone has said, it's a big gap.

So you're looking at it the wrong way

Yeah he's been 100% RT because Jagusah was starting at left. Wagners the better player, I think they should seriously consider Wagner at left
I'm sure they are.... He's just been working for years especially the last 9 months to win the RT position, 100% focused on RT.

We've had 2-3 other players taking or have played LT. I'd definitely prefer wagner at LT, as long as it's not a set back to him. Can't have both tackle spots struggle.

This is a group that has been recruited relatively well over the last several years. Yea it sucks to lose a starter at LT with a lot of upside but there are several 4 star (and high 4 star) prospects waiting for an opportunity on the offensive line.

Losing a starting CB (Mickey, Morrison) or S (Xavier Watts) right now would be way more detrimental IMO just because of the lack of depth/standout prospects at those positions that would create a huge hole in the depth chart.

Also on the bright side, he should qualify for a medical redshirt and still have several years of eligibility when he returns.

Last edited:
This is a group that has been recruited relatively well over the last several years. Yea it sucks to lose a starter at LT with a lot of upside but there are several 4 star (and high 4 star) prospects waiting for an opportunity on the offensive line.

Losing a starting CB (Mickey, Morrison) or S (Xavier Watts) right now would be way more detrimental IMO just because of the lack of depth/standout prospects at those positions that would create a huge hole in the depth chart.

Also on the bright side, he should qualify for a medical redshirt and still have several years of eligibility when he returns.
Our number 3 corner (Mickey) and number 3 safety (Shuler) are better players right now then our 3rd tackle.

Jagusah isn't a 6 year player so that part is irrelevant. He already redshirted

Time will tell

Disagree, much more depth at CB and S

Our number 3 corner (Mickey) and number 3 safety (Shuler) are better players right now then our 3rd tackle.

Jagusah isn't a 6 year player so that part is irrelevant. He already redshirted
Players who lose a season due to injury can get an extra year by petitioning the NCAA. Hence the word “medical” in medical redshirt.

Doesn't matter if he was a consensus All American or a true freshman

All that mattered was how much better he was then the number 2 and from what everyone has said, it's a big gap.

So you're looking at it the wrong way
I think what the poster was trying to say is we have no idea how good any of them are, all unproven. Joe Alt started the year at 3rd string was due to injuries/poor play got an opportunity. Nobody saying we have a Joe Alt on the roster but that’s the point, nobody knows and the coaches thought there was a gap between Alt and Baker/Carmody to have him 3rd. Maybe Lambert will get a shot like Alt did

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT