ADVERTISEMENT

J Taylor declares

so much for wanting to play the ‘best’
You do understand it isn’t my choice? Just bringing info and stating a fact- not stating my preferences. Maybe a too nuanced a point for you?

Helps some, though the driving force for Wisconsin has always been very good offensive lines. They had a guy projecting 2nd round...not sure if he'll go. Most of the offense comes back including the senior QB.

Wisconsin was very, very good this year. Lost twice to OSU, gave away a fluke game to the Illini, and really should have closed out the Ducks in the Rose Bowl. I see them as top 10 to open the season.

not surprised, RB has the shortest life span of any position in the NFL outside of Brown's Head Coach. Would have liked to seen ND play against him in 2020.

Not only shortest life span, but the position has been devalued as multiple title winning, Super Bowl appearing, division title winning teams have picked up RBs in rounds 3-7 or as free agents and done just fine offensively. I was shocked that in the modern era of analytics a team would pick a RB with the #2 pick (Giants —Barkley). Even the very best RB ever doesn’t provide relative longevity/value compared to OT, DT/DE, DE/OLB edge rushers, and of course QBs, nor does he impact winning. Barkley is a very good back, but has very little impact on games as the Giants offense, like almost all offenses, goes as their QB goes. People talked about the all around utility of a guy like Laveon Bell, but then saw that he can be replaced easily. Adrian Peterson in his heyday had gaudy yards per carry numbers that didn’t translate into a good offense. The greatest sustained stretch of success in NFL history by any franchise (i.e., the Patriots) was in part built by reakizing that it shouldn’t spend money on a RB, and they never have realizing that RB is the most easily replaced position.

Last edited:
Reactions: francade
You do understand it isn’t my choice? Just bringing info and stating a fact- not stating my preferences. Maybe a too nuanced a point for you?

you said, “does help” ! that is not nuance, that’s a statement.

you said, “does help” ! that is not nuance, that’s a statement.
It’s a fact. But nowhere have I given my preference in that entire post. THAT is the nuance, I never provided what I wanted. You inferred it in a poor attempt at a gotcha.

It's not going to be easy to replace Jonathan Taylor. Dude is a complete stud. Extremely durable and reliable.

That said, Wisconsin has Watson, a 5'11, 230lb freshman they like quite a bit coming back. He rushed for about 350 yards spelling Taylor.They also have Groshek, their so everything rising senior who does a bit of everything for them. Doubles as a fullback, is an excellent pass blocker, catches the ball out of the backfield on third down, and isn't a slouch when he gets a carry either...

Wisconsin doesn't have Jonathan Taylor waiting in the wings, but they do have guys they like... What's even better for them is that they return 5 starters from what was a really good, but very young offensive line that started a couple of sophomores. Next year they're starting the same 5 guys and now all will be upper classmen.

They'll be ready to go when they play ND at Lambeau. Watson (if healthy) is an easy bet to go over 1200 yards rushing in that offense, as a sophomore.

It's not going to be easy to replace Jonathan Taylor. Dude is a complete stud. Extremely durable and reliable.

That said, Wisconsin has Watson, a 5'11, 230lb freshman they like quite a bit coming back. He rushed for about 350 yards spelling Taylor.They also have Groshek, their so everything rising senior who does a bit of everything for them. Doubles as a fullback, is an excellent pass blocker, catches the ball out of the backfield on third down, and isn't a slouch when he gets a carry either...

Wisconsin doesn't have Jonathan Taylor waiting in the wings, but they do have guys they like... What's even better for them is that they return 5 starters from what was a really good, but very young offensive line that started a couple of sophomores. Next year they're starting the same 5 guys and now all will be upper classmen.

They'll be ready to go when they play ND at Lambeau. Watson (if healthy) is an easy bet to go over 1200 yards rushing in that offense, as a sophomore.
I expect their center goes pro. He'll be a first or 2nd rounder. Also, Cephus might go pro too. Those 2 moves with Taylor would hurt their chances and improve ours obviously

Reactions: IrishMike409
And ND will still have Kelly.

giphy.gif

Jalen Berger, an extremely talented high 4 star back out of New Jersey that Ohio State was hard after decided on Wisconsin at the All American Game. Very good player. Who knows if he'll be a Jonathan Taylor type, but he definitely has the size and physicality to play right away. He was a guy that I was really high on had ND not landed Tyree.

Perfect back for Wisconsin. Listed at 6'0, 205lbs right now. Probably not quite that hig in reality, but by time Wisconsin bulks him up into the type of back they want, he'll be a good player for them this year.

Reactions: notredamerises23
Number 1 receiver Cephus declared for draft

Best OL center Biadasz declared for draft

What is incredible to me is how talented Wis. was this year. Paul Chryst has done a great job so far, though it seems like his teams beat themselves (evidence most recent point to the Rose Bowl).

Regardless of who is leaving, though losing this much talent for them hurts, they will be ready to play. I think we will win the game, but it will be tough and players/coaches should anticipate a very old school meat and potatoes kind of game.

Any news on defensive players graduating or leaving? They held their own this year (exception being Ohio State).

What is incredible to me is how talented Wis. was this year. Paul Chryst has done a great job so far, though it seems like his teams beat themselves (evidence most recent point to the Rose Bowl).

Regardless of who is leaving, though losing this much talent for them hurts, they will be ready to play. I think we will win the game, but it will be tough and players/coaches should anticipate a very old school meat and potatoes kind of game.

Any news on defensive players graduating or leaving? They held their own this year (exception being Ohio State).
Illinois beat them .... enough said!

Reactions: Catholicfan95
ND has no excuse now. They lost they lost 3 of their 4 best offensive players and they don't have the depth of talent to replace them. If Brian Kelly loses that game it's entirely on him.

Reactions: deadprez3
ND has no excuse now. They lost they lost 3 of their 4 best offensive players and they don't have the depth of talent to replace them. If Brian Kelly loses that game it's entirely on him.
They have a good team returning and good players in the wings. Good coach. They'll be a top 15 team next year. It's a game we should win but can easily lose. They can beat anyone next year outside of the top 5

Wisky beat LSU at Lambeau years back. This is going to be an extremely difficult game. Wisky will be Top 15/Top 20, and this’ll be the most inspired they play all year. Going to be a dog fight.

Reactions: Golson5
They have a good team returning and good players in the wings. Good coach. They'll be a top 15 team next year. It's a game we should win but can easily lose. They can beat anyone next year outside of the top 5

A better Wisconsin team this year lost 4 games. We need not make excuses in advance. Everybody knows they are essentially the current version of what Stanford was... No excuses. An elite team would humble them like Ohio State does. If you want to be on that level eventually you have to play at that level.

Wisky beat LSU at Lambeau years back. This is going to be an extremely difficult game. Wisky will be Top 15/Top 20, and this’ll be the most inspired they play all year. Going to be a dog fight.

Absolutely will be a dog fight. That's why you have to show up like a badass (Ohio State) and punk them. If "just another game" Brian shows up, ND will get their teeth kicked in.

A better Wisconsin team this year lost 4 games. We need not make excuses in advance. Everybody knows they are essentially the current version of what Stanford was... No excuses. An elite team would humble them like Ohio State does. If you want to be on that level eventually you have to play at that level.
Like I said, they can beat anyone outside the top 5. You brought up OSU, Im not sure why. OSU is elite and top 5. We are not right now.

And Ill say again Wisconsin will be a top 15 team next year. It will be a tough game. They are a good team and have a good coach. And the game is at Lambeau.

No one is making excuses. You acted like it should be an easy win. And that is way off. Outside of the top 5, they can beat and compete with anyone.

Absolutely will be a dog fight. That's why you have to show up like a badass (Ohio State) and punk them. If "just another game" Brian shows up, ND will get their teeth kicked in.
Give Brian OSU players like Day had this year and I bet he punks them too lol. Its a lot easier to punk Wisconsin when you got the talent of Ohio State. Come on

Give Brian OSU players like Day had this year and I bet he punks them too lol. Its a lot easier to punk Wisconsin when you got the talent of Ohio State. Come on

Recruit your ass off like Ohio State does and you'll have more of those players. Brian Kelly has nobody to look at other than himself regarding his roster. He hand picked those kids. Every single one of them... You want Ohio State's talent, kiss your wife goodnight and stay up until 2am texting kids on the West Coast like Urban Meyer did to build that roster... Or call kid of Ransom's caliber 3 times per day and make him a top priority in your life like Day did to keep his commitment after Hafley left.

You act like Brian Kelly was given a roster by some GM and told to coach it... If Brian Kelly wants Ohio State caliber players, them beat Wisconsin, recruit your ass off and prove to people that your on the level of the top guys.

Last edited:
Recruit your ass off like Ohio State does and you'll have more of those players. Brian Kelly has nobody to look at other than himself regarding his roster. He hand picked those kids. Every single one of them... You want Ohio State's talent, kiss your wife goodnight and stay up until 2am texting kids on the West Coast like Urban Meyer did to build that roster... Or call kid of Ransom's caliber 3 times per day and make him a top priority in your life like Day did to keep his commitment after Hafley left.

You act like Brian Kelly was given a roster by some GM and told to coach it... If Brian Kelly wants Ohio State caliber players, them beat Wisconsin, recruit your ass off and prove to people that your on the level of the top guys.
A post about Brian Kelly and Ryan Day somehow went into an Urban post.

That was Urbans team. Point still remains give Kelly that team and he punks Wisconsin too

A post about Brian Kelly and Ryan Day somehow went into an Urban post.

That was Urbans team. Point still remains give Kelly that team and he punks Wisconsin too

Nobody gives you anything in football. Brian Kelly would have that roster if he recruited as hard as Urban did to achieve it. You get what you earn. Ryan Day earned his opportunity to coach a roster with that talent and now he'll earn his ability ro keep that kind of talent on his roster via his recruiting efforts. In his first year he promptly went undefeated in the regular season, owned Wisconsin twice and gave Clemson an incredible fight to the bitter end, a year after Kelly's team was beaten like a red headed step child by the same program, in the same game.

Why do you want to.give credit to Kelly for something he hasn't earned? Recruit as hard as Urban did and maybe you wouldn't have to hold your breath to beat Wisconsin.

Kelly has had a nice resurgence since 2016. He's done some great things... But in 10 years he's won VERY FEW games against opponents who finished the season ranked in the top 15... Very, very, few.

Nobody gives you anything in football. Brian Kelly would have that roster if he recruited as hard as Urban did to achieve it. You get what you earn. Ryan Day earned his opportunity to coach a roster with that talent and now he'll earn his ability ro keep that kind of talent on his roster via his recruiting efforts. In his first year he promptly went undefeated in the regular season, owned Wisconsin twice and gave Clemson an incredible fight to the bitter end, a year after Kelly's team was beaten like a red headed step child by the same program, in the same game.

Why do you want to.give credit to Kelly for something he hasn't earned? Recruit as hard as Urban did and maybe you wouldn't have to hold your breath to beat Wisconsin.

Kelly has had a nice resurgence since 2016. He's done some great things... But in 10 years he's won VERY FEW games against opponents who finished the season ranked in the top 15... Very, very, few.
Urban is a legend and far superior than Kelly. Never said different. The post was about Day and how Kelly would do with that talent against Wisconsin. You made it about Urban I have no idea why

Urban is a legend and far superior than Kelly. Never said different. The post was about Day and how Kelly would do with that talent against Wisconsin. You made it about Urban I have no idea why

Your point was that Kelly could beat Wisconsin easily with the talent Day has... My point is that's obvious, but that Brian Kelly only has himself to blame for not possessing the same or similar talent that Urban Meyer left Ryan Day to coach.

Urban is essential in the comparison because he built the team.

Your point was that Kelly could beat Wisconsin easily with the talent Day has... My point is that's obvious, but that Brian Kelly only has himself to blame for not possessing the same or similar talent that Urban Meyer left Ryan Day to coach.

Urban is essential in the comparison because he built the team.
Kelly is not Urban. Never will be. Almost no one has ever been that good.

Right because recruiting at Notre Dame and the program Kelly took over is similar to OSU. Urban had the chance to come here and he said no thanks, thats too tough of a job. I'll take the easier oppurtunitues at Florida and Ohio.

And you try acting like they're playing on the same playing field when Urban turned us down because he didnt want that challenge

Kelly is not Urban. Never will be. Almost no one has ever been that good.

Right because recruiting at Notre Dame and the program Kelly took over is similar to OSU. Urban had the chance to come here and he said no thanks, thats too tough of a job. I'll take the easier oppurtunitues at Florida and Ohio.

And you try acting like they're playing on the same playing field when Urban turned us down because he didnt want that challenge

Kelly himself stated that he has plans to get ND into the top 5 in recruiting (10 years later). So clearly he doesn't think recruiting at an elite (top half of the top 10) level is impossible at ND. He came right out and said he thinks it's doable.

I never said that recruiting at OSU was the same as recruiting at Notre Dame. I've always conceded that they have a higher ceiling and we've discussed those reasons countless times on this board. My point is that Brian Kelly has been recruiting at less than his ceiling at ND, which is closer to OSU's ceiling than you think... And by the way, Brian Kelly thinks the same thing.

During his 2017 signing day press conference he said they were recruiting right where they want to be in that #11-#12 range on average.

During his 2020 signing day press conference he said that he thinks they can recruit at a top 5 level of they implement a plan to do so.

So clearly there was room for ND and his staff to do more in recruiting. He just said that very thing himself.

Kelly himself stated that he has plans to get ND into the top 5 in recruiting (10 years later). So clearly he doesn't think recruiting at an elite (top half of the top 10) level is impossible at ND. He came right out and said he thinks it's doable.

I never said that recruiting at OSU was the same as recruiting at Notre Dame. I've always conceded that they have a higher ceiling and we've discussed those reasons countless times on this board. My point is that Brian Kelly has been recruiting at less than his ceiling at ND, which is closer to OSU's ceiling than you think... And by the way, Brian Kelly thinks the same thing.

During his 2017 signing day press conference he said they were recruiting right where they want to be in that #11-#12 range on average.

During his 2020 signing day press conference he said that he thinks they can recruit at a top 5 level of they implement a plan to do so.

So clearly there was room for ND and his staff to do more in recruiting. He just said that very thing himself.
I hope it is doable. But a lot of coaches say a lot of things. Doesnt make them true.

I think the success that hes had in recent seasons makes recruiting at a higher level possible. Winning helps recruiting. Stability of the program helps recruiting. Having better coaches and coaches that are good recruiters helps recruiting. A lot goes into what he said.

Before the season Clemson and NDs staff got together and I think we are going to implement some of the things they do.

They also put a lot more money into recruiting. Maybe he got the green light from the top that his budget has increased in recruiting.

What he said could have meant a lot of things

I hope it is doable. But a lot of coaches say a lot of things. Doesnt make them true.

I think the success that hes had in recent seasons makes recruiting at a higher level possible. Winning helps recruiting. Stability of the program helps recruiting. Having better coaches and coaches that are good recruiters helps recruiting. A lot goes into what he said.

Before the season Clemson and NDs staff got together and I think we are going to implement some of the things they do.

They also put a lot more money into recruiting. Maybe he got the green light from the top that his budget has increased in recruiting.

What he said could have meant a lot of things

Weis recruited top 5 classes without any of those potential things. He took over a program that had far less talent and resources at their disposal than even Kelly did when he took over. Weis wasn't even great coach by any stretch of the imagination... He was just an excellent recruiter. I'm hoping Dabo taught him a thing or two during their get together because it would be great to see Kelly build the program up and wina title before he retires.

Weis recruited top 5 classes without any of those potential things. He took over a program that had far less talent and resources at their disposal than even Kelly did when he took over. Weis wasn't even great coach by any stretch of the imagination... He was just an excellent recruiter. I'm hoping Dabo taught him a thing or two during their get together because it would be great to see Kelly build the program up and wina title before he retires.
I never viewed Weis' classes as top 5. I think the recruiting services were not nearly as good as they are now at evaluating prospects. I think the ND name got us those top 5 rankings. A lot of those players were not rated properly. My guess is it was the ND name that helped sell back then. Id take Kellys classes over Weis' any day. The offensive and defensive line recruiting was and is far superior under Kelly. I have no idea how Weis got those rankings. The only thing is the ND brand back then is what I can come up with. They were not top 5 classes.

It helps Dabo having better facilities than us. Paying assistants more than we do.

And one thing I remember from that article was Clemsons assistant coaches have private planes. We do not.

Was talked about that being a huge advantage. Their coaches get to players quicker, are able to evaluate more than we do and in a faster time frame, and can see them more to build relationships.

Makes their job a lot easier. Not to mention thr advantage of being in the south and in a warmer climate.

Is Dabo a better recruiter than Kelly. Yes. If they were on equal footing, how big would that gap be. My guess is not by much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT