ADVERTISEMENT

Gonna say it again…..

NDblitz

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Dec 15, 2021
Brought this up after Marshall. Freeman is a defensive guy. He made a huge mistake keeping Rees. If he in fact did. If he allowed them to keep Rees. That too is a mistake. But it was his first HC job. You absolutely need a big time guy on the side of the ball you don’t specialize in. Hell even Saban knows that. Particularly as a first year head coach. He needs to eject Rees. Thank him and go get a big time experienced OC. Because Rees is stinking it up and I’m not sure Freeman can always see it or feel what he needs getRees to go in game. They dared ND to throw it deep. And ND rarely tried.

Last edited:
At one point Stanford had 8 in the box and a safety at 7-8 yards and it wasn’t 4th and 2.

ND is not the place for on the job training. Ask Gerry, Bob and Fat Chuck. Hell I’ll bet MF is thinking the same damn thing right now.

Reactions: Airzee23
Brought this up after Marshall. Freeman is a defensive guy. He made a huge mistake keeping Rees. If he in fact did. If he allowed them to keep Rees. That too is a mistake. But it was his first HC job. You absolutely need a big time guy on the side of the ball you don’t specialize in. Hell even Saban knows that. Particularly as a first year head coach. He needs to eject Rees. Thank him and go get a big time experienced OC. Because Rees is stinking it up and I’m not sure Freeman can always see it or feel what he needs getRees to go in game. They dared ND to throw it deep. And ND rarely tried.
We never throw it deep.

No arm...

Plus...

Even if we have the arm...

It isn't the safe and secure route.

More timid and tentative offense brought to you by Brian Kelly via Tommy Rees

Reactions: NDinNJ
At one point Stanford had 8 in the box and a safety at 7-8 yards and it wasn’t 4th and 2.
Even when Stanford loaded the box ND was still able to run. Rees just played the numbers and dialed up the pass instead of ever running 3 consecutive plays.

The problem is most of the passes he tried were in the very box Stanford was loading.

We never throw it deep.

No arm...

Plus...

That's what happens when you learn from one mentor.

Even when Stanford loaded the box ND was still able to run. Rees just played the numbers and dialed up the pass instead of ever running 3 consecutive plays.

The problem is most of the passes he tried were in the very box Stanford was loading.
But your not supposed to run against a stacked box.

We never throw it deep.

No arm...

Plus...

That we never threw deep when Kelly was coach is just not an accurate statement. Golson, Zaire, Kizer and Wimbush all took regular shots downfield. Book was the first really risk-adverse QB we had.

Golson, Zaire, Kizer and Wimbush all took regular shots downfield. Book was the first really risk-adverse QB we had.

This sentence alone is really all you need to see when it comes to ND’s inability to beat good teams for a long time now. And it doesnt even mention Rees, Coan, Pyne, etc. I couldn’t say for sure that any of these guys would’ve even been the backup at the top programs in recent times, let alone the starter. How much of that is on coaching, who knows. I’m just going by what’s been seen.

This sentence alone is really all you need to see when it comes to ND’s inability to beat good teams for a long time now. And it doesnt even mention Rees, Coan, Pyne, etc. I couldn’t say for sure that any of these guys would’ve even been the backup at the top programs in recent times, let alone the starter. How much of that is on coaching, who knows. I’m just going by what’s been seen.
Coan couldn’t be a backup ?

Then why did the NFL drafted him ?

what shocked me was we won a huge 1-1 matchup on a poorly thrown ball deep to thomas.

Rees vs stanford, lets not use thomas down the field.

We should be play action heavy on first down and make teams pay. What you can't do though is keep pyne always in the pocket at the same spot due to teams constantly run blitzing us or stacking box.

Reactions: IrishMike409
"He made a huge mistake keeping Rees"

I you go back in history, you will see that Rees was retained by Jack S PRIOR to hiring/promoting Freeman.

Reactions: NDinNJ
"He made a huge mistake keeping Rees"

I you go back in history, you will see that Rees was retained by Jack S PRIOR to hiring/promoting Freeman.
He made a huge mistake keeping Rees. If he in fact did. If he allowed them to keep Rees. That too is a mistake. - I thought I'd put the full quote here.

But he wasn't drafted. He was signed after the draft, as have many former ND players. BK averaged 3.75 players drafted per season. Not so elite.
When you sign with an NFL team it automatically puts you in the “elite” category.

4 players per year is outstanding, especially since many make the playing roster.

Stop trying to denigrate Kelly, he took a program in shambles and built it into a prominate, perennial contender.

It might put you in elite category but it's not being drafted. Heck I signed an UFA and lasted two weeks. I don't consider myself elite.

When you sign with an NFL team it automatically puts you in the “elite” category.

4 players per year is outstanding, especially since many make the playing roster.

Stop trying to denigrate Kelly, he took a program in shambles and built it into a prominate, perennial contender.
No. No. No

Yes...

Rees doesn't understand what to call and when...

He literally can't help himself and does things just to do them.

He needs down on the sideline a few games because he's completely out of touch with the tone of the offense plus it gives him 1 on 1's with players if they're messing up..

He's nothing and handed a solid by Kelly and sits on his ass in that press box looking down like the almighty.

He's pathetic and turning Freeman's debut into the Titantic

Reactions: TheSodFather
It might put you in elite category but it's not being drafted. Heck I signed an UFA and lasted two weeks. I don't consider myself elite.

A perennial contender they were not. They aren't close to beating the real contenders.

Reactions: 88ND
Rees preceded MF? no?

That may be so, but I was responding to the poster who said Notre Dame never threw deep when Kelly was coach. And that's just not even remotely true.

“We should be play action heavy on first down and make teams pay. What you can't do though is keep pyne always in the pocket at the same spot due to teams constantly run blitzing us or stacking box.”

💯 I’ve been saying this for years. We have too many straight dropbacks in our playbook. No matter what the pressure is during the game, straight dropbacks. It’s one thing if you have a statuesque qb, but when the qb is on the short side & has decent feet, to not have some designed rolls and sprintouts is not using your personnel correctly. I can somewhat see it w/ a guy like coan, not so much w/ a book or Pyne. Move the pocket occasionally to keep the blitzing LBs honest. We rarely do that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT