ADVERTISEMENT

Is the Mich St game for BVG's job?

Nocalirish

Posts Like A Champion
Nov 8, 2004
If BVG's defense loses the MSU game he is gone. Maybe not next week but definitely at seasons end.

Not too sure, but what I do know is that ND's defense will have too much potential talent in 2017 to be a really solid unit. If it requires a new coordinator to get this group to play good football, then so be it.

SDE: Jay Hayes (SR)
2. Khalid Kareem (SOPH)

NG: Daniel Cage (SR)
2. Micah Dew-Treadway (JR)

DT: Jerry Tillery (JR)
2. Jonathan Bonner (SR)

WDE: Daelin Hayes (SOPH)
2. Andrew Trumbetti (SR) or Julian Okwara (SOPH)

WILL: Te'Von Coney (JR)
2. Asmar Bilal (JR)

Mike: Nyles Morgan (SR)
2. Greer Martini (SR)

SAM: Drue Tranquill (SR)
2. Jamir Jones (SOPH)

CB: Nick Watkins (SR)
2. Troy Pride (SOPH)

FS: Devin Studstill (SOPH)
2. Isaiah Robertson (FR)

FS: Jalen Elliot (SOPH)
2. Spencer Perry (SOPH)

CB: Nick Coleman (JR)
2. Donte Vaughn (SOPH)

NB: Shaun Crawford (JR)***
2. Julian Love (SOPH)

Not too sure, but what I do know is that ND's defense will have too much potential talent in 2017 to be a really solid unit. If it requires a new coordinator to get this group to play good football, then so be it.

SDE: Jay Hayes (SR)
2. Khalid Kareem (SOPH)

NG: Daniel Cage (SR)
2. Micah Dew-Treadway (JR)

DT: Jerry Tillery (JR)
2. Jonathan Bonner (SR)

WDE: Daelin Hayes (SOPH)
2. Andrew Trumbetti (SR) or Julian Okwara (SOPH)

WILL: Te'Von Coney (JR)
2. Asmar Bilal (JR)

Mike: Nyles Morgan (SR)
2. Greer Martini (SR)

SAM: Drue Tranquill (SR)
2. Jamir Jones (SOPH)

CB: Nick Watkins (SR)
2. Troy Pride (SOPH)

FS: Devin Studstill (SOPH)
2. Isaiah Robertson (FR)

FS: Jalen Elliot (SOPH)
2. Spencer Perry (SOPH)

CB: Nick Coleman (JR)
2. Donte Vaughn (SOPH)

NB: Shaun Crawford (JR)***
2. Julian Love (SOPH)

Good LB core but absolutely no diversity along the DL (all DTs with no outside range/rush) and lack of athleticism in the defensive backfield.

If BVG's defense loses the MSU game he is gone. Maybe not next week but definitely at seasons end.
Don't make me quietly root for a poor defensive outing...but if that's what it would take.....
BVG is terrible. Steals his paycheck every week.
He does the defense players a complete disservice. He's not even helping their potential draft stock.

He sucks. Worst hire in the history of ND football ever.

Good LB core but absolutely no diversity along the DL (all DTs with no outside range/rush) and lack of athleticism in the defensive backfield.

Chase,

Can't say I agree completely heading into 2017. Daelin Hayes and Julian Okwara are going to be exceptional pass rushers, the problem right now is that they are freshman. More specifically, in Daelin's case, he's just learning to play the position. He's as athletic as it gets, but right now he just doesn't have the moves and developed skill set needed to beat a NCAA tackle. People quickly forget how little football he's played in the past few years. I'd by next year at this time he's getting no pressure, I'll be worried. Until then, let's just watch him get better every week. Okwara, on the other hand, has no problem with his pass rush. Everyone around the program is excited about him and I've been told by a number of people O trust that he's much better than his brother at the same point. Unfortunately, right now Julian is 230lbs and just doesn't have the size to play the position right now as anything other than a situational pass rusher. A year from now he'll be closer to where he needs be and eventually he'll be a 250lb pass rusher who can play most downs.

As for the secondary, I think Watkins is going to be a solid, physical, boundary corner. He's a step back from Cole Luke athletically, but he's bigger and plays the game differently. Studstill is a very good athlete, but more importantly, has safety instincts that get him to where he needs to be and great instincts trump all but the most elite athletes, particularly at that position. Donte Vaughn is an impressive guy playing corner at nearly 6'3 and it wouldn't surprise me if he plays safety at some point, which would be awesome. I also think Troy Pride is uber athletic, he just needs to add some more size and strength. When he does, he could be an excellent field corner. Julian Love is a better athlete than you're giving hi. Credit for as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT