ADVERTISEMENT

ND vs USC 22

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
Watched that game again. Memory was not competitive. Really a good game.

Pyne‘a two turn overs was the diff and not taking the FG at the 28.

Take the 3 and score when Pyne fumbles on first at the 25 and thats an OT game. Don’t toss a pic in your own side and it’s a win.

As much as Caleb was a tough our, ND spotted them 10 and lost by 10.

If Hartman is as good as he looks, that’s gonna be a battle at ND!!

I agree that the game was closer than it might have felt. I wonder if this and the South Carolina game was what got Rees hired at Bama? Pyne’s fumble was catastrophic, but other than that play and the interception, he played a heck of a game.

The offense’s points scored weren’t great in some games, but I felt like they were close. Stanford could have been a lot better but for a few bad breaks.

Another key play against USC was ND’s first drive on 3rd down. I think Evans was supposed to block the LB #53 but let him go, thinking that Diggs would beat him. That’s probably what he’s coached to do. Unfortunately that LB made the play for a big loss. It would have likely been a first down had Evans picked him up.

One minor quibble would be that passed up FG attempt. It was 4th and 1 from the 27. I think every coach would go for that in that situation.

Defensively I think ND got taken to the woodshed. Yes, other teams gave up more, but I still think it was a poor showing. Williams also was 18-22 I believe. So its not like it was only the running game from USC.

Watched that game again. Memory was not competitive. Really a good game.

Pyne‘a two turn overs was the diff and not taking the FG at the 28.

Take the 3 and score when Pyne fumbles on first at the 25 and thats an OT game. Don’t toss a pic in your own side and it’s a win.

As much as Caleb was a tough our, ND spotted them 10 and lost by 10.

If Hartman is as good as he looks, that’s gonna be a battle at ND!!
That game was definitely winnable

I agree that the game was closer than it might have felt. I wonder if this and the South Carolina game was what got Rees hired at Bama? Pyne’s fumble was catastrophic, but other than that play and the interception, he played a heck of a game.

The offense’s points scored weren’t great in some games, but I felt like they were close. Stanford could have been a lot better but for a few bad breaks.

Another key play against USC was ND’s first drive on 3rd down. I think Evans was supposed to block the LB #53 but let him go, thinking that Diggs would beat him. That’s probably what he’s coached to do. Unfortunately that LB made the play for a big loss. It would have likely been a first down had Evans picked him up.

One minor quibble would be that passed up FG attempt. It was 4th and 1 from the 27. I think every coach would go for that in that situation.

Defensively I think ND got taken to the woodshed. Yes, other teams gave up more, but I still think it was a poor showing. Williams also was 18-22 I believe. So its not like it was only the running game from USC.

Passing up the FG was silly, same thing that cost you in the Stanford game. However, I don't blame him because Groupe was not reliable. If that was Hendricks, Yoon, Brinza, Carney I think he trots them out there and that's a 7-point delta at the end. We really need a solid kicker. Its not about the one time you need the 50+. Its consistently nailing the 45's.

Two turnovers from Pyne, that fumble down deep and the pic deep in our own side.

Agree on the Defense. Coverage was decent, pressure was awesome. They should have adjusted with a spy. Sneed has the speed and explosion to make him pay. They should have spied him with Sneed.

This year, we got a QB that can go Toe to Toe and our defense should be outstanding.

2023 was always really the year we all thought it could come together. Buchner with a full year, MF year 2, some really amazing classes the last 3. The only difference now is you have one of the best QB's in CFB. I'm liking our chances.

No, it wasn't.

Stanford and Marshall losses? Certainly. USC? No.
You should rewatch it. 408 vs 430 yards. Diff was a touchdown. ND had 2 crucial turn overs. Both of those turn overs where points. 10 or 14 swing for ND. Its worth the watch.

USC game was definitely winnable. We just didn't get it done
I think the game was loseable by USC but their QB did not let that happen … credit to him. Their formula most of the year was to outscore teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT