ADVERTISEMENT

Just how good is this defense?

melstew

All Star
Feb 2, 2005
Last year ND was the 22nd ranked defense in total yards, but 36th in yards per play (which seems like a better metric). For context, Air Force is number 1 in the former because of their run game but not top 20 in the latter.
So that was just ok, but this year some thing other than the smell of ethanol seems to be in the summer South Bend wind. It is the possibility of a truly elite defense. Two big time shut down corners, plus Christian Gray. Looking back at their numbers from last year, they were truly superb. Experienced, deep, and athletic safeties and linebackers. And a dline that has playmakers and depth and one absolute disrupter. Plus a really good coordinator. Defense is often ahead of offense, but in yesterdays scrimmage our D dominated a really good offense. Last a premiere running game that will keep them off the field. I am starting to get a really good feeling. Please, please, no major injuries.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I think the ceiling is top 15, I’m still not totally sold on the d line and linebackers. I know that they apparently dominated yesterday in practice. I think our offense has a higher ceiling, but the defense has more depth and therefore a higher floor. I heard the defensive second team has been dominating the offensive second team harder than the starters

Last year ND was the 22nd ranked defense in total yards, but 36th in yards per play (which seems like a better metric). For context, Air Force is number 1 in the former because of their run game but not top 20 in the latter.
So that was just ok, but this year some thing other than the smell of ethanol seems to be in the summer South Bend wind. It is the possibility of a truly elite defense. Two big time shut down corners, plus Christian Gray. Looking back at their numbers from last year, they were truly superb. Experienced, deep, and athletic safeties and linebackers. And a dline that has playmakers and depth and one absolute disrupter. Plus a really good coordinator. Defense is often ahead of offense, but in yesterdays scrimmage our D dominated a really good offense. Last a premiere running game that will keep them off the field. I am starting to get a really good feeling. Please, please, no major injuries.
jmo: to original ? : Top 10. Enough to carry a team to the playoffs.

Reactions: melstew
I think Mills and Cross are going to create a ton of problems for teams. Not only shutting down runs up the middle, but creating pressure up the middle as well. And the two deep across our front looks really good this year. Going into Spring thought defense would be a weakness this year, now I think it will be a strength As long as we avoid injuries to our defensive backs, where we are terribly thin.

I think Mills and Cross are going to create a ton of problems for teams. Not only shutting down runs up the middle, but creating pressure up the middle as well. And the two deep across our front looks really good this year. Going into Spring thought defense would be a weakness this year, now I think it will be a strength As long as we avoid injuries to our defensive backs, where we are terribly thin.
We are not thin at corner.

We are not thin at corner.
Who are the back ups to Hart and Morrison? Lewis has been a bust at corner and Mackey has been marginal when he plays. Not aware of others with any meaningful experience.

Who are the back ups to Hart and Morrison? Lewis has been a bust at corner and Mackey has been marginal when he plays. Not aware of others with any meaningful experience.
Mickey, Gray are both playing well in camp. Lewis and Harper have a ton of experience.

Most teams don't have 6 deep like we do

Mickey, Gray are both playing well in camp. Lewis and Harper have a ton of experience.

I don’t consider Harper a corner. Harper and Lewis are fighting for nickel, which we will likely be in the majority of plays. Have high hopes for Gray. I still think we are thin at corner; so we simply hold different opinions on this.

Counting Lewis in a statement about depth isn’t good… we are 4 deep at corner and hopefully Harper wins nickel with Lewis backing him up

Reactions: Uncle Money
My biggest concern is the LB spot. Jack is just not athletic enough. I know JD lead the team in tackles with what 85? But again, not the most athletically gifted LB.

I like Marist but can he stay healthy???

You gotta have a sideline to sideline LB.

Jack and JD have really high football IQ’s but…

Gotta have that monster at LB to set the tone for the defense.

Manti
Jaylon
Jeremiah

My biggest concern is the LB spot. Jack is just not athletic enough. I know JD lead the team in tackles with what 85? But again, not the most athletically gifted LB.

Manti
Jaylon
Jeremiah
Sneed or Ziegler? Would love to see one of them take a big role.

Even Tranquil ended up being a beast of an LB at ND. We should be able to find that.

Reactions: Zorich 88
Counting Lewis in a statement about depth isn’t good… we are 4 deep at corner and hopefully Harper wins nickel with Lewis backing him up
Exactly right.

I count all 6 as depth with the nickel because it's just like a corner

Cb - Hart
Cb - Morrison
Nick - Harper

Cb - Mickey
Cb - Gray
Nick - Lewis

That's high quality depth

Manti
Jaylon
Jeremiah
People say Jack is the fastest lb we have. His straight line speed is top notch of everyone is right.

People say Jack is the fastest lb we have. His straight line speed is top notch of everyone is right.
If that’s true, I haven’t seen that speed displayed on the field.

Also, if Jack is the fastest LB on the team, that’s a slow LB room.

Reactions: Chitown11
If that’s true, I haven’t seen that speed displayed on the field.

Also, if Jack is the fastest LB on the team, that’s a slow LB room.
I think he's faster than he plays

Because Sneed, Ausberry, and Ziegler are not slow. Also bertrand is not slow straight line speed

I don’t consider Harper a corner. Harper and Lewis are fighting for nickel, which we will likely be in the majority of plays. Have high hopes for Gray. I still think we are thin at corner; so we simply hold different opinions on this.
I believe Harper will be the nickel. Cam and Morrison start as it appears there seems to be an unknown or Freshman who jumps out of the pack at CB. I believe that will be gray

Reactions: Telx1
Need to improve in the red zone. Golden was terrible there last year!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT