ADVERTISEMENT

Is over officiating ruining the game?

Rionegro

ND Expert
Sep 22, 2018
After watching Bama/tenn—17 penalties against Bama and a couple that directly determined outcome of the game, USC- Utah where Brock Berlin was losing his mind on a number of targeting reviews and of course our fumble recovery that wasn’t , I’m losing interest. I want to see the guys play not watch a bunch of zebras take 5 min to review ,what was once just a standard football play, and still get the call wrong. It’s getting absurd, at nfl and college level. I’m watching a lot more rugby and enjoying it—-the way football used to be played

After watching Bama/tenn—17 penalties against Bama and a couple that directly determined outcome of the game, USC- Utah where Brock Berlin was losing his mind on a number of targeting reviews and of course our fumble recovery that wasn’t , I’m losing interest. I want to see the guys play not watch a bunch of zebras take 5 min to review ,what was once just a standard football play, and still get the call wrong. It’s getting absurd, at nfl and college level. I’m watching a lot more rugby and enjoying it—-the way football used to be played
I don't know if it is or it isn't. But one thing I would drop as a mewling, whining, crying, bitching fan.... is the part where you either explicitly or implicitly threaten to not be a fan anymore. And how you're 'losing interest'. The powers that be in the sport WOULD LOVE to see fans like you disappear. You would not be missed and if fans like you were to vanish it would be actively welcomed. At all levels of the sport. I think they'd love to get rid of fans like you so passionately they'd be wiling to lose revenue to do it, which normally spectator sports are loath to do...

I'm just saying this thing where you threaten to stop caring is probably going to motivate the powers that be to crank it up even more, whatever it is they're doing that's pissing you off/bumming you out....

Watching a football game is becoming more like watching a slow moving trial, where there are debates about what can be entered as evidence.

I've said for years that ever since reviews came in, officials are lax to make tough calls because they know the review will bail them out.

I'd rather put up with the occasional bad call than the 5-minute delays that so often interrupt a game right at a key spot.

It does make one lose interest, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I play a lot more tennis, take a lot more hikes, and do a lot more around the house than I used to when I used to dedicate my entire Saturday and part of my Sunday watching football.

Last edited:
I saw a 10 minute review to determine whether it was 3rd or 4th down. It’s awful

I don't know if it is or it isn't. But one thing I would drop as a mewling, whining, crying, bitching fan.... is the part where you either explicitly or implicitly threaten to not be a fan anymore. And how you're 'losing interest'. The powers that be in the sport WOULD LOVE to see fans like you disappear. You would not be missed and if fans like you were to vanish it would be actively welcomed. At all levels of the sport. I think they'd love to get rid of fans like you so passionately they'd be wiling to lose revenue to do it, which normally spectator sports are loath to do...

I'm just saying this thing where you threaten to stop caring is probably going to motivate the powers that be to crank it up even more, whatever it is they're doing that's pissing you off/bumming you out....
That may be true and they won’t be losing much revenue. I was curious to hear if others had similar feelings. I don’t really care what the powers that be may think of my dwindling interest and I look at as a positive—-more time dedicated to far more important things in life.

That may be true and they won’t be losing much revenue. I was curious to hear if others had similar feelings. I don’t really care what the powers that be may think of my dwindling interest and I look at as a positive—-more time dedicated to far more important things in life.
I'm just saying that sport of football is only going in one direction. And that ain't the direction of the way things used to be. Just ain't happening. The NFL has the future to think about, and they're not worried about losing that pretty tiny minority of hardcore cranks, who want the sport to stay as violent as possible. And for the most part are really just troublemakers as fans....

I'm just saying that sport of football is only going in one direction. And that ain't the direction of the way things used to be. Just ain't happening. The NFL has the future to think about, and they're not worried about losing that pretty tiny minority of hardcore cranks, who want the sport to stay as violent as possible. And for the most part are really just troublemakers as fans....
The NFL wants to increase their fan base, that’s why they’re playing games in Europe

The “fan” wants the refs to get the calls “right”

”Fans” are “fanatics”, they’re passionate about their teams.

there are classes of fans, a broad spectrum with different perspectives, some are knowledgeable some are rabid, etc.,etc.

if you’re looking for “universal objective purity” in fans you aren’t going to find it !

One thing discontented fans could do is, and could keep deploring is instant replay. That's debatable, and you could just decide to go with the call on the field and live with it, for the sake of the flow of the game. Even though with modern technology we ain't going backwards on that one either, and simply accepting botched calls. But maybe they could have a computer take over. Do it by algorithm. It would at least have the advantage of being instantaneous...

One thing discontented fans could do is, and could keep deploring is instant replay. That's debatable, and you could just decide to go with the call on the field and live with it, for the sake of the flow of the game. Even though with modern technology we ain't going backwards on that one either, and simply accepting botched calls. But maybe they could have a computer take over. Do it by algorithm. It would at least have the advantage of being instantaneous...
Soccer games in Europe are going this route

I heard that the refs called timeout during a play. So the answer to your question is "yes."

And to who made the trial analogy, there even is a court of appeals for the undefinable crime of "targeting."

Agreed, but technology is improving exponentially and will no doubt exceed capabilities of human refs very soon
The problem is …. You could call a penalty on almost every football play due to the player interactions. It’s too subjective, so they tend to call penalties where an interaction influences the outcome of a play. It’s a delicate balance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT