ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa st v Irish

Several metrics have it ranked behind the AAC this year.

Just some food for thought, according to Sagarin, Notre Dame played the # 38 schedule in the country, ISU played the #8 schedule in the country. So looking at ND as the #13 team by Sagarin, how did ISU fare against similar level competition?

At OU # 5 lost 41-42
At Baylor #15 Lost 21-23
Iowa #16 Lost 17-18
Texas #20 Won 23-21

Notre Dame # 13 ?-?

Obviously none of these teams "kicked our butts". Looking forward to the game.

Reactions: tbonesays
Recruiting and national brand is a good argument imo. I like playing USC and a Big 10, Big 12, or SEC team or two. I was swayed by the previous arguments. I do think Conferences have advantages too. It’s a tough call, but independence is where I’m leaning.
Recruiting:

How does being an independent help with recruiting?

Bama and Clemson are not independents. However, they have a national brand and have no issues recruiting.

So you would rather play SC every year instead of playing for a conference championship.

SC is in a conference correct?
They still play ND every year correct?

Just some food for thought, according to Sagarin, Notre Dame played the # 38 schedule in the country, ISU played the #8 schedule in the country. So looking at ND as the #13 team by Sagarin, how did ISU fare against similar level competition?

At OU # 5 lost 41-42
At Baylor #15 Lost 21-23
Iowa #16 Lost 17-18
Texas #20 Won 23-21

Notre Dame # 13 ?-?

Obviously none of these teams "kicked our butts". Looking forward to the game.
You do realize how a SOS gets calculated... your team loses to another team and that team looks stronger because of it.

Reactions: tbonesays
The ACC is by far the worst P5 conference in college football just barely better than G5 conferences this year.

I also laughed at the Clemson better be ready for Notre Dame line.

Clemson is coming off its best 3-4 years of recruiting and pulling in one of the best classes in the 21st century in 2020. They have signed 10 players inside the composite 100, 7 of which are composite five stars to already add to a dominant NFL-laden roster.

ND will be a 15+ point dog next season.

No, they won't. Clemson will undoubtedly be the better team, but I doubt the line will be more than 10 or so, depending on how ND does to that point. Keep in mind the game is in November too. The weather could be a wildcard.

Geez, I would say that our wins against Michigan, Stanford and USC last year, and our wins against USC and UVA this year outrank the 2017 win over Temple.

I was referring to 2015 when the Owls started 7-0 but I see they dropped their last two games. Navy finished 18th that year.

I’m not hear to bad mouth the Cyclones or anybody for that matter. I like their coach and they had a decent year. With that said, if you are ND, how do you get up for this game ? I have no doubt Iowa St will be sky high for this matchup. I just don’t see the Irish getting excited about this game. Maybe I’m wrong. I don’t know. ND gains nothing from a win. It is essentially a meaningless bowl game against an unranked opponent. Heck, I could see ND losing this game too. Well either way the game will be played. I hope they win. I also hope they come out of this game injury free. I’m already looking forward to next season.
It is a game against a P5 team that you have never played. It is also a team that played a much tougher schedule than ND.....meaning the records are quite deceiving when comparing the two.

Alabama was 10 and 2 and did not make NY6 Utah as well I believe

They made it to better bowls than Notre Dame did. Had ND been 10-2 and in the ACC they would have played Clemson the other night. Probably would have lost, but would have ended up in a better bowl game.

The only time the rain stopped we scored easily. That game was a debacle that likely would see a very different result if played again. The team was flat and things went south when bad luck on the blocked punt went went against us. After that we imploded. It was one game. Teams lay eggs sometimes and are rarely punished to that degree. It’s very well known that ND is hated by many for too many reasons to list.
Wow, You score a total of 14 points so how easy was it? According to you the Gods only made it rain when ND had the ball. I know you aren't basing your different results if we played again on the team that showed up that day. Michigan has been owned by OSU but the right way is to tip your hat and say the better team won. You are one hell of an excuse maker. Problem is you now have to live with this for the next 15 years.

Last edited:
The ACC is by far the worst P5 conference in college football just barely better than G5 conferences this year.

I also laughed at the Clemson better be ready for Notre Dame line.

Clemson is coming off its best 3-4 years of recruiting and pulling in one of the best classes in the 21st century in 2020. They have signed 10 players inside the composite 100, 7 of which are composite five stars to already add to a dominant NFL-laden roster.

ND will be a 15+ point dog next season.

Despite its mediocre ranking this season, the ACC ranks 3rd in current NFL players. SEC is ahead by a wide margin, followed by the Big Ten and ACC.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-09-03/colleges-most-represented-2019-nfl-rosters

Terrible terrible matchup. It’s going to take extra motivational speeches to get the entire team geeked up to play this team. It will take nothing to get Iowa State geeked. This really blows. We had a great 10-2 season and deserve better.
Coach Kelly doesn't believe motivating his team . He better have them ready to play or he will really look the dunce .

Reactions: chitown sot
It is a game against a P5 team that you have never played. It is also a team that played a much tougher schedule than ND.....meaning the records are quite deceiving when comparing the two.

I’ve seen Iowa st a couple times this year. I realize they have a pretty darn good team. In fact, when Kelly decides to leave I really hope ND looks at Matt Campbell. He’s done an incredible job with the Cyclones. My main point was this. I think ND, with a 10 and 2 record, was hoping to get a NY6 bowl game. I meant no disrespect to Iowa State. I just think going this bowl is not exactly what the Irish had in mind. As an ND fan, I hope they come out ready and focused. I have no doubt the Cyclone’s will be dialed in on this game. They have more than enough fire power to win. After reading some of the ND player comments, I feel they are pumped and excited to play. That’s a big plus. I’m looking to a hard fought hopefully injury free game for both teams.

Reactions: Clonewithasigh
Horrible, what a reward for winning 10 games. Get to play a 7 win no name team in a no name bowl.

A lose lose for Notre Dame.

Reactions: Leahylads
Terrible terrible matchup. It’s going to take extra motivational speeches to get the entire team geeked up to play this team. It will take nothing to get Iowa State geeked. This really blows. We had a great 10-2 season and deserve better.
Yep I feel bad for the players, they had a great season and this is their reward.

Reactions: Leahylads
Wow, You score a total of 14 points so how easy was it? According to you the Gods only made it rain when ND had the ball. I know you aren't basing your different results if we played again on the team that showed up that day. Michigan has been owned by OSU but the right way is to tip your hat and say the better team won. You are one hell of an excuse maker. Problem is you now have to live with this for the next 15 years.
Agree, it was a very stupid post

If ND was in the ACC they would at least be ranked 2nd in the conference which would equal the Orange bowl

if the were in the ACC, everything changes and we do not know for certain how they finish. Conjecture.

I get the impression that you pretty much get ignored around here.....I can see why.

Have you read the other posts in this thread? Hell there are threads on the forum with that exact title.

All in all I'm far from the only one here with that opinion.

Surprised you called me out when I just said what at least 20 other people have said in this thread. 7 win Iowa State is a no name program and that makes this bowl game a lose lose for Notre Dame. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT