ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa st v Irish

If ND was in the ACC they would at least be ranked 2nd in the conference which would equal the Orange bowl

Yeah, there are. They are posted earlier in this thread. You chose to ignore them.
I prefer independence as well. But that also means that 10-2 seasons get us similar results as 7-5 seasons. No conference championship and the reward for 10-2 seasons is Camping Bowl against a team nobody knows about. So we either win every game, or lose 1 close one to a top 5 team or we go camping. Get the s’mores and hobo pie makers ready because we are going to go camping a lot.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
I prefer independence as well. But that also means that 10-2 seasons get us similar results as 7-5 seasons. No conference championship and the reward for 10-2 seasons is Camping Bowl against a team nobody knows about. So we either win every game, or lose 1 close one to a top 5 team or we go camping.

Most of us could give a rat's ass about a conference championship. And not going to the Orange Bowl on a single occasion is a small price to pay to remain independent.

Hey let me be clear, as an alum I totally wish we could stay independent. But the reality that is the current CFB just doesn't work for that anymore. There are zero benefits in remaining independent, as much I love and have loved it. All things must pass, it's time to keep up

Hey let me be clear, as an alum I totally wish we could stay independent. But the reality that is the current CFB just doesn't work for that anymore. There are zero benefits in remaining independent, as much I love and have loved it. All things must pass, it's time to keep up

I couldn't disagree with you more. I see zero advantages to joining a conference.

Zero reasons to stay independent.

There are zero benefits for ND to remain independent.

The only argument will be tradition.

You know what? You want tradition?

How about start a tradition of winning conference championship’s?

How about start a tradition of going to major-bowls and winning them?

Yeah. Still whining.

Recruiting and national brand is a good argument imo. I like playing USC and a Big 10, Big 12, or SEC team or two. I was swayed by the previous arguments. I do think Conferences have advantages too. It’s a tough call, but independence is where I’m leaning.

This alum who attended ND 74-78, has begrudgingly come to the conclusion that we should join a conference. I think it gives us a better chance to get to the final four. And...

It was exciting to watch yesterday's games. Once again, we're not a part of it. I agree keep a big ten team or Navy or Stanford, USC -- playing Navy is just from another era and if we play them once every ten years, fine...

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Hey I didn't revert to name calling, and I paid for my ND degree, so I resent being told I'm stupid ... None of those reasons hold any water in the current landscape, none of help ND compete for National Titles in the current CFB
Like I said your too stupid to understand the facts.

Its clear you didn't attend ND, or maybe no clege at all.
Yeah, "clege" did wonders for you. LOL
Why don't you give me 5 reasons why ND should give up independence without a fight including examples like how Utah finished second in the Pac 12 and still isn't playing on NYD as if any bowl makes a difference if your not in the playoff. Moron.

ND has never ever been a regional school. If they join a conference, they will be. I understand the reasons why people think they should join. Personally, I like the fact they play a national schedule. Conference affiliation would change that. But, I guess at some point the administration will have to make move. So if they are put in a position that they need to join a conference, what conference will it be ? That is the question. Do they just go all in for the ACC ? Or, do they join elsewhere? Questions to ponder

ND was a regional team back in the early 1900s. That's why the series out east with Army started. The 1913 game with Army put ND in the national spotlight.....and the rest is history.

I suspect ND’s status as an independent will outlast the current system for selecting Bowl participants and the current playoff system. For those calling for ND to join a conference, would you feel the same if the playoffs were made up of the top eight ranked teams?

I am expecting 40,000 ISU fans. No joke. This is why the Camping world wanted them.
Wow, somebody remember to turn off the lights in Iowa when the last camper leaves. Maybe they will seat them all in one section and keep the crowd shot there so we can't see the rest of the empty seats.

Yeah, "clege" did wonders for you. LOL
Why don't you give me 5 reasons why ND should give up independence without a fight including examples like how Utah finished second in the Pac 12 and still isn't playing on NYD as if any bowl makes a difference if your not in the playoff. Moron.
I won't engage with a name calling, (I have a name in mind, but pick your choice of word), other than to say the current landscape of CFB will ultimately force ND into the decision. If you can't see that, then I can't help you. You should have gotten your degree, and maybe that education would have helped you with simple reasoning

I suspect ND’s status as an independent will outlast the current system for selecting Bowl participants and the current playoff system. For those calling for ND to join a conference, would you feel the same if the playoffs were made up of the top eight ranked teams?

To the people who think that we would be in the Orange Bowl if we were a dependent,

do you really think our players wanted to join a second-tier ACC team when they committed to Notre Dame?

Yes

The only time the rain stopped we scored easily. That game was a debacle that likely would see a very different result if played again. The team was flat and things went south when bad luck on the blocked punt went went against us. After that we imploded. It was one game. Teams lay eggs sometimes and are rarely punished to that degree. It’s very well known that ND is hated by many for too many reasons to list.
This is so much BS, its not even worth responding to

If ND was in the ACC they would at least be ranked 2nd in the conference which would equal the Orange bowl

Apparently, when our people negotiated our ACC football deal, they were unable to get us access to the Orange Bowl slot. So we're part of the rest of their bowl lineup, but not that one. I guess the ACC wasn't going to allow a non-member access to that slot. And I don't blame them, really.

I agree with this. I think the 4-team playoff is not going to be around forever, or even much longer.

Good point. If it was an 8 team playoff we could still get in with one loss. Hard to go undefeated. And that is the only way we get in in this current system...

To the people who think that we would be in the Orange Bowl if we were a dependent,

do you really think our players wanted to join a second-tier ACC team when they committed to Notre Dame?

"Second tier" -- we beat every ACC team we played this year. The only team that is better right now is Clemson and they better watch out when they come to South Bend next year! Would have been fun to play them in the championship game this year. We would have given them a better game than Virginia, Just saying. (And I believe recruits actually watch those championship games! More than the dozens of meaningless bowl games which mean absolutely nothing -- bowl games are now like the losing NFL teams playing out their season - nobody cares... The championship series has made them moot. But an ACC Championship game has consequences.

"Second tier" -- we beat every ACC team we played this year. The only team that is better right now is Clemson and they better watch out when they come to South Bend next year! Would have been fun to play them in the championship game this year. We would have given them a better game than Virginia, Just saying. (And I believe recruits actually watch those championship games! More than the dozens of meaningless bowl games which mean absolutely nothing -- bowl games are now like the losing NFL teams playing out their season - nobody cares... The championship series has made them moot. But an ACC Championship game has consequences.

The ACC is by far the worst P5 conference in college football just barely better than G5 conferences this year.

I also laughed at the Clemson better be ready for Notre Dame line.

Clemson is coming off its best 3-4 years of recruiting and pulling in one of the best classes in the 21st century in 2020. They have signed 10 players inside the composite 100, 7 of which are composite five stars to already add to a dominant NFL-laden roster.

ND will be a 15+ point dog next season.

Of course it does. Especially when 17 yr old superstars worth millions of dollars are making their college decision on NSD in February.

If Notre Dame earned the privilege to play a bigger brand team, and win, it might shake some players loose in their favor.

Instead ND is playing an opponent that nobody outside of the posters on this site and some die hards in Iowa will be watching/care about.
clueless about recruiting if thats what you think these kids pay attention to. for the record the great majority of the kids signing will have done so this month. please try to keep up.

Of course it does. Especially when 17 yr old superstars worth millions of dollars are making their college decision on NSD in February.

If Notre Dame earned the privilege to play a bigger brand team, and win, it might shake some players loose in their favor.

Instead ND is playing an opponent that nobody outside of the posters on this site and some die hards in Iowa will be watching/care about.
9am west coast start on a Sat and it's not even the only game at that time. It will have lower tv ratings than the Bowling Green game. LOL
and the ratings will still be better than the Cotton Bowl airing at the same time.....

Reactions: Catholicfan95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT