ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa st v Irish

Not a good matchup. 10-2 team vs. a 7-5 team?
They say “that’s what you get for not belonging to a conference and playing in a conference championship”
Cyclones are thrilled, of course.
Utah is playing 7 and 5 Texas. Utah was 11 and 2 and in a conference

There are consequences for losing. There are consequences for getting slapped around by Michigan. The question is this. What Irish players, if any, will opt out of playing in the bowl game?

Reactions: Leahylads
Seeing Virginia and Memphis make an NY6 bowl further proves the point that if you dont make the playoffs then your bowl game isn't all that impressive. Am I disappointed that ND didn't get an NY6 bowl, yeah. But at the same time I think the major bowls outside of the playoffs have lost its relevancy.

I keep asking, but no real legitimate answers, ... Give me the 1 to 5 legitimate benefits to ND remaining independent???? Anybody ...

Reactions: ichawk24
So .....Michigan had better weather when they had the ball. Lols. Epic fail!
In horse racing the track condition often makes a big difference. Some horses excel on grass, others on a fast dirt track and some in mud. When I played baseball, I was at my best when the temperature exceeded 90 degrees. I’m not sure if it was me playing better or other players playing worse in the heat. I’m not making an excuse for ND but just saying it is possible that, although a lot of people say both teams played in the rain, one team might be better than the other in inclement weather. Also, perhaps Michigan had better shoes, maybe special water repellent jerseys, etc. My point is, keep an open mind to all possibilities.

Seeing Virginia and Memphis make an NY6 bowl further proves the point that if you dont make the playoffs then your bowl game isn't all that impressive. Am I disappointed that ND didn't get an NY6 bowl, yeah. But at the same time I think the major bowls outside of the playoffs have lost its relevancy.
The CFP, in my opinion actually hurts CFB interest. I know myself, if ND isn't in the CFP, then I follow our bowl only

It's a myth that the major bowls always had relevancy. Many times, you had two, three, and even four loss teams playing in the major bowls. It was rare that you had one against two. It was the pageantry. The tradition of New Years Day. That was the thing about the bowls up and until the BCS era. Plus, going back even further, you had to earn your way to a bowl because there wasn't all that many.

Not a good matchup. 10-2 team vs. a 7-5 team?
They say “that’s what you get for not belonging to a conference and playing in a conference championship”
Cyclones are thrilled, of course.

These two teams are closer than it looks on the surface. Iowa State beat some good teams this year and played some really tough teams closely. Their 7-5 record is vs a really good P5 schedule this year. They could just have been 10-2 themselves with some better fortune.

Obviously ND will be the favorite but Iowa State is going to be the 3rd/4th best team ND has played on their schedule this season.

It's a myth that the major bowls always had relevancy. Many times, you had two, three, and even four loss teams playing in the major bowls. It was rare that you had one against two. It was the pageantry. The tradition of New Years Day. That was the thing about the bowls up and until the BCS era. Plus, going back even further, you had to earn your way to a bowl because there wasn't all that many.
You also had 4 and 5 teams vying for a National Title, making the major bowls relevant. You will recall, we won one going into New Years Day ranked 5th. That no longer happens and the bowls are rendered irrelevant

Reactions: tbonesays
In horse racing the track condition often makes a big difference. Some horses excel on grass, others on a fast dirt track and some in mud. When I played baseball, I was at my best when the temperature exceeded 90 degrees. I’m not sure if it was me playing better or other players playing worse in the heat. I’m not making an excuse for ND but just saying it is possible that, although a lot of people say both teams played in the rain, one team might be better than the other in inclement weather. Also, perhaps Michigan had better shoes, maybe special water repellent jerseys, etc. My point is, keep an open mind to all possibilities.
This argument doesn't fly because BK's Irish teams have a precedent of fails in major prime time games in nice weather too. When the coach has that "what have I got myself into" look on his face, the players read his body language and play to their HC. It's astounding how out of sorts they all look from beginning to end.

You also had 4 and 5 teams vying for a National Title, making the major bowls relevant. You will recall, we won one going into New Years Day ranked 5th. That no longer happens and the bowls are rendered irrelevant
Irish jumped Bama that year for the title. LOL! ND demolished #1 and Bama beats up #8. The pollsters had a rare moment of clarity and voted Irish #1.

I keep asking, but no real legitimate answers, ... Give me the 1 to 5 legitimate benefits to ND remaining independent???? Anybody ...
Tradition for a lot of people. But that's a sucky reason to keep the football program stuck in the past.

All of these have been said before and you are probably too stupid to remember but for the last time:
1. Joining a conf takes away a distinct advantage of making your own schedule which ND could use to its advantage and why there are so many cries to force ND into a conf. Why give that away?
2.Joining a conf regionalizes ND which is a national brand. Now they can play in the north, south, east and west and still keep traditional games with USC, Stan and Navy while adding games with GA, Tex, Wisc, Mich etc.
3. Joining a conf means you have to play the same league and division opponents every year. The ACC sucks this year and would do nothing for strength of schedule. ND would have to play 4 games in the state of NC and 2 in Virg over 2 seasons no matter how bad those teams are. Big 10 is even worse with no southern or southwest exposure.
4. Join a conf and recruiting exposure is narrowed. The recruiting hotbeds are FL, GA, LA, Tex and CA and just look down ND's roster roster to see how many states are repped. That is because ND is a national brand name. The longer ND plays in a conf the more that is lost and it becomes Northwestern or Wake Forest.
5. When play for pay starts in 2021 ND's national exposure and strong brand will draw players and sponsors for those players. Do you think Coke wants to sponsor the likeness of a player from NW or Wake when they can show off their brand nationally with an ND player.
Enough reasons?

All of these have been said before and you are probably too stupid to remember but for the last time:
1. Joining a conf takes away a distinct advantage of making your own schedule which ND could use to its advantage and why there are so many cries to force ND into a conf. Why give that away?
2.Joining a conf regionalizes ND which is a national brand. Now they can play in the north, south, east and west and still keep traditional games with USC, Stan and Navy while adding games with GA, Tex, Wisc, Mich etc.
3. Joining a conf means you have to play the same league and division opponents every year. The ACC sucks this year and would do nothing for strength of schedule. ND would have to play 4 games in the state of NC and 2 in Virg over 2 seasons no matter how bad those teams are. Big 10 is even worse with no southern or southwest exposure.
4. Join a conf and recruiting exposure is narrowed. The recruiting hotbeds are FL, GA, LA, Tex and CA and just look down ND's roster roster to see how many states are repped. That is because ND is a national brand name. The longer ND plays in a conf the more that is lost and it becomes Northwestern or Wake Forest.
5. When play for pay starts in 2021 ND's national exposure and strong brand will draw players and sponsors for those players. Do you think Coke wants to sponsor the likeness of a player from NW or Wake when they can show off their brand nationally with an ND player.
Enough reasons?
Hey I didn't revert to name calling, and I paid for my ND degree, so I resent being told I'm stupid ... None of those reasons hold any water in the current landscape, none of help ND compete for National Titles in the current CFB

Reactions: kev2225
Hey I didn't revert to name calling, and I paid for my ND degree ... did you? None of those reasons hold any water in the current landscape, none of help ND compete for National Titles in the current CFB

BS. Those are all excellent reasons why ND should remain independent. I frankly can't think of one good reason why ND should join a conference. If ND were to join a conference, ND would be Northwestern redux within 20 years.

I’m not hear to bad mouth the Cyclones or anybody for that matter. I like their coach and they had a decent year. With that said, if you are ND, how do you get up for this game ? I have no doubt Iowa St will be sky high for this matchup. I just don’t see the Irish getting excited about this game. Maybe I’m wrong. I don’t know. ND gains nothing from a win. It is essentially a meaningless bowl game against an unranked opponent. Heck, I could see ND losing this game too. Well either way the game will be played. I hope they win. I also hope they come out of this game injury free. I’m already looking forward to next season.

I’m not hear to bad mouth the Cyclones or anybody for that matter. I like their coach and they had a decent year. With that said, if you are ND, how do you get up for this game ? I have no doubt Iowa St will be sky high for this matchup. I just don’t see the Irish getting excited about this game. Maybe I’m wrong. I don’t know. ND gains nothing from a win. It is essentially a meaningless bowl game against an unranked opponent. Heck, I could see ND losing this game too. Well either way the game will be played. I hope they win. I also hope they come out of this game injury free. I’m already looking forward to next season.
A good coach always gets his team ready to play.

Reactions: HL3402
Hey I didn't revert to name calling, and I paid for my ND degree, so I resent being told I'm stupid ... None of those reasons hold any water in the current landscape, none of help ND compete for National Titles in the current CFB
You are wrong

Alabama was 10 and 2 and did not make NY6 Utah as well I believe

Bama has the same problem as us @10-2. The "2" refers to the only good teams on the extremely unbalanced schedule.

It gave the sunkbears a free ride after getting slaughtered by Wisky and ohio state. Now they get to play an angry Bama team that will wash them out to sea. I'm glad it's not ND going into that hornets nest.

haha. 45-14. Eat it. Oh, and Enjoy the Camping World Gas Grill Sleeping Bag epic matchup with Southeast Iowa State!

I would have liked Oklahoma State or Texas.

This matchup sucks.

Iowa State is the reward for going 10-2

Yuck!

I hope the playoff expands to 6 or 8.

On the bright side, Better this than Michigan getting walloped by Alabama in front of Mickey & Minnie.
Harbaugh will be holding a sleep over with mickey while in Orlando.

Yea 1-100 is that those who make the decisions don’t view it in terms of benefits, but in terms of what the core identity of the program and University is (and isn’t).

At around 101-102 you get into reasons like playing your historical rivals across the country and aren’t tied into or forcing you to stop that and recruiting nationwide that this allows. 103- 109 goes something like our own tv contract where we and only we dictate coverage (though admittedly this could be done better) and content.

At the end of the day it’s not a pros/cons thing which is why when you weigh it by your values it seems to come out wonky.

Reactions: Mihalko35
haha. 45-14. Eat it. Oh, and Enjoy the Camping World Gas Grill Sleeping Bag epic matchup with Southeast Iowa State!

Funny we didn't see you here last week after Ohio St. kicked your asses. It took you a week plus to show your face here. Now the question is: how long will you go into hiding after Bama wallops you?

There are consequences for losing. There are consequences for getting slapped around by Michigan. The question is this. What Irish players, if any, will opt out of playing in the bowl game?
I could see chase sitting out because I believe he has been playing hurt. But that’s just if I had to guess I haven’t read anything suggesting he might

ADVERTISEMENT