ADVERTISEMENT

If HC, recruiting, and talent doesn't change, we are very likely to be in the very same position this time next year

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
This should just be intuitively obvious (especially after about 15 seasons of evidence now) but around here, for some reason, it is not.

If we recruit another 15th ranked class ('24 class), have an aggregate talent ranking of 10-15th in 2024, retain the very same HC in 2024, we're likely to be in the very same position in college football in 2024 that we are in now, with no shot at winning the national championship.

That's not ok with me. Is it ok with ND fans? Is it ok with ND brass?

Last edited:
This should just be intuitively obvious (especially after about 15 seasons of evidence now) but around here, for some reason, it is not.

If we recruit another 15th ranked class ('24 class), have an aggregate talent ranking of 10-15th in 2024, retain the very same HC in 2024, we're likely to be in the very same position (F+ of 12th in mid november 2024) with no shot at winning the national championship this time next year. That's not ok with me. Is it ok with ND fans? Is it ok with ND brass?
to call you a tool is to insult Walmarts cheap crap

It is evident by the amount a true freshman who played this year what MF had to work with.
I think MF has struggled a little bit, this years schedule was brutal with two byes at the end of the year instead of one during mid year

Reactions: IrishMike409

If we recruit another 15th ranked class ('24 class), have an aggregate talent ranking of 10-15th in 2024, retain the very same HC in 2024, we're likely to be in the very same position in college football in 2024 that we are in now, with no shot at winning the national championship.

Ok, all we get from you is HC, recruiting, and talent must change. So tell us, you're the AD, what do you do? lay it out in detail, what's your plan. Be specific.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGI User 756
Ok, all we get from you is HC, recruiting, and talent must change. So tell us, you're the AD, what do you do? lay it out in detail, what's your plan. Be specific.
Read my post history; it is essentially a book on how ND should be ran differently.

If I was AD at a super wealthy blue blood like ND, I would:
  • evaluate my team and coaches performance with advanced metrics and not win loss record (big duh!)
  • understand that the current college football game is all about upside (trying to be the best out of 130+ teams) and would adjust my risk-tolerance-threshold to reflect that.
  • understand that a 3-9 record is the same as a 9-3 record in 2023 and beyond (there's no significance or achievement that comes from winning 8-10 games a season ad nauseum -- your organization is losing in both cases)
  • Fight to the bitter end for the best talent in the country every. single. year. and reposition and reallocate my organizations resources to make sure I have the best scouting and talent procuring in the business.
  • treat scarce talent for the value and scarcity that it is: retain great coaches, retain great players no matter the cost. in college football right now, revenues and income are far outpacing the cost of talent -- my personnel decisions would reflect that.
I think ND is doing a fine job running the program from a pure business/accounting/ income vs expenses standpoint but failing miserably strategically to put together a winner at the top of the mountain.

Last edited:
  • evaluate my team and coaches performance with advanced metrics and not win loss record (big duh!)
  • understand that the current college football game is all about upside (trying to be the best out of 130+ teams) and would adjust my risk-tolerance-threshold to reflect that.
  • understand that a 3-9 record is the same as a 9-3 record in 2023 and beyond (there's no significance or achievement that comes from winning 8-10 games a season ad nauseum -- your organization is losing in both cases)
  • Fight to the bitter end for the best talent in the country every. single. year. and reposition and reallocate my organizations resources to make sure I have the best scouting and talent procuring in the business.
  • treat scarce talent for the value and scarcity that it is: retain great coaches, retain great players no matter the cost. in college football right now, revenues and income are far outpacing the cost of talent -- my personnel decisions would reflect that.
I think ND is doing a fine job running the program from a pure business/accounting/ income vs expenses standpoint but failing miserably strategically to put together a winner at the top of the mountain.
95% of the Pros are not able to do it consistently yet you think you can?

That's all fine and dandy, but how do you get all the elite athletes to come to ND, what specifically do you do to attract them? What if the grades don't meet admission standards? What if they want $$$ upfront?

I think Texas A&M followed your recipe to a tee!

Really enjoying how you’ve now moved the field goal posts to add head coach, to cover your ass that Michigan is elite which debunks your decade long drivel on recruiting rankings. Maybe add cheating to the mix? That’s what we all know you want ND to do, win at no costs.

You’re ticked off huh? What you going to do, weep on the message boards? Two decades running, still doing it? Go apply for the job or something?

There's a reason why stories like this are being published:

Analysis: Power 5 owes $146M to fired football coaches since '22

Teams are risking bigger and bigger dollars and giving shorter and shorter leashes in their shrewd search for the best talent and they are not doing it because they want to for fun. They are doing it because 1. they have to to stay competitive and 2. it's profitable

There's a reason why stories like this are being published:

Analysis: Power 5 owes $146M to fired football coaches since '22

Teams are risking bigger and bigger dollars and giving shorter and shorter leashes in their shrewd search for the best talent and they are not doing it because they want to for fun. They are doing it because 1. they have to to stay competitive and 2. it's profitable
It's not profitable to waste that much money, like A&M just wasted on Jimbo Fisher.

And BTW, I completely disagree on your "3-9 is the same as 9-3" argument.

Consider the possibility that reality is that barring a kind of ‘miracle on ice’ that the SEC, ACC, BIG, and this year Oregon; will be competing for the national title going forward. Going forward, ND presents the best chance for such a miracle.
ND currently has a good staff, which is likely to improve this off season. Support them, the players and hope for that miracle. Complaints won’t change anything.

Most of those crying about free speech only want to hear certain kinds of speech. You sound like the typical woke idiot that is always triggered about something
POS's like chase his balls are a blight wherever they stink
I like free speech, even if I disagree with it. Calling for people to get banned for voicing an unpopular recruiting opinion is something a cry baby pansy would write.

Reactions: chaseball
It's not profitable to waste that much money, like A&M just wasted on Jimbo Fisher.

And BTW, I completely disagree on your "3-9 is the same as 9-3" argument.
Unless of course a&m wins a title or some playoff games with this new hire 😉

Btw, I welcome your disagreement you are free to give your take. Don't tell me you disagree tell me why you disagree I'm open to some angle I may not be considering

Last edited:
I like free speech, even if I disagree with it. Calling for people to get banned for voicing an unpopular recruiting opinion is something a cry baby pansy would write.
I would be liking these posts whether I was the subject in it or not. Great points being made about freedom of speech.
It is crazy how many people oppose or act indifferent about this extremely valuable right.

I am a big critic of the good old USA but when it comes to freedom of speech we are miles and away ahead of everybody in the world on this issue and we need to protect it with everything we got especially in situations when we disagree the most

Last edited:

How many times are you going to say the same thing? You need new material.

The message is still not getting through. I see people making illogical arguments that avoid this simple conclusion everyday on this forum. Most of this forum thought ND had a chance this season despite the overwhelming evidence. Watching ND lose 3 games this season has zero impact on me. This outcome was inevitable from the start.

Nobody is going to care about an ND 10-3 season with a 7 point win in the happy belly outback bowl vs the 25th ranked Purdue -- it will be virtually ignored in the tellings of great ND teams in its history.

The only thing that matters is national championship victories and the momentum on your march towards one (in the blue blood tier of wealthy cfb teams) nothing else in between matters in any meaningful way in this sport right now and imo that's why it is so darn cold blooded and entertaining.

Last edited:
The only thing that matters is national championship victories and the momentum on your march towards one (in the blue blood tier of wealthy cfb teams) nothing else in between matters in any meaningful way in this sport right now and imo that's why it is so darn cold blooded and entertaining.

The school's intergity matters much more thn a National Championship.

I don't read much of what that posters says. When I do, you're correct. And like I have said, if he repeated the same mundane repeated rhetoric that he does here, he would have been banned long ago on any pay site that is daily monitored. That's why he posts daily here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT