ADVERTISEMENT

How did Stanford become a better Football program than ND w/ lower rated players ?

No not at all

It is you who are blatantly discounting all the players coach Weis recruited .

It's the return of decker....and I did this exercise with him before...
You have to laugh at Aaron Lynch's championship game inclusion as he departed ND in April 2012.....
Here are the starters for the 'bama game with their ND commitment dates...... Also, please note that the championship season was built on the backbone of a bend don't break stifling Diaco defense. It's obvious Mr Potato Head had nothing to do with it.
Porky came aboard in Dec 09...it's safe to posit that the early commits in '10 were also from weis efforts....

TJ Jones 10/18/09
Troy Niklas 2/2/11
Zack Martin 7/21/08
Chris Watt 7/13/08
Braxston Cave 3/3/07
Mike Golic 12/19/07
Christian Lombard 1/3/09
Tyler Eifert 7/8/08
Everett Golson 12/2/10
Theo Riddick 4/23/08
Ben Koyack 4/27/10

Kapron Lewis Moore 2/6/08
Louis Nix 12/2/09
Stephon Tuitt 1/20/11
Prince Shembo 8/4/09
Dan Fox 6/5/08
Manti Te’o 2/4/09
Danny Spond Committed 2/10
KeiVarae Russell 12/29/11

Bennett Jackson 6/7/09
Zeke Motta 10/10/08
Matthias Farley 4/21/10

decker's new list weis recruits highlighted:
George Atkinson 9/10
DaVarris Daniels, 1/10
Everett Golson 11/10
Mathias Farley 4/10
Bennett Jackson 6/09
TJ Jones, 10/09
Christian Lombard 1/09,

Aaron Lynch transferred before the ‘12 season,
Devonte Neal 12/11
Louis Nix 12/09,
Keivarie Russell, 12/11
Prince Shembo 8/09
Daniel Smith 1/09

Danny Spond, 2/10
Tony Springman, 4/10
Stephon Tuitt 1/11
Chris Brown,

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Haven't fellows figured the Rivals, Scouts, ESPN and any others are mostly BS. Saban said some years ago he thought all these services were ridiculous because anyone can spot the real obvious 5* guys but the service don't have a clue about the rest of them.

He went to say something like Coaches have to identify guys the will fit their system, their school and most importantly have a enough passion for the games interest and aptitude for their school and will behave on campus.
We don't have a system....

Reactions: IrishNumbertwo
We don't have a system....
That's our system - its the system of not having a system.

images

Couple things:

1) No, not one.. 0 coaches in America give a rats ass about recruiting rankings. Not revelatory. They leave that for Pers.

2) Somebody said David Shaw was the sole reason for Stanford's success.. False. Heard of Jim Harbaugh? He took over a one win team. Shaw was the beneficiary of a Harbaugh led era that left him fresh off a Rose Bowl and Andrew Luck. Little different than taking over the shit show that was Charlie Weis. One had to rebuild, one had to sustain.
What? This is Shaw's 6th year any impact Harbaugh made is long past. Harbaugh was there for 4 years; 4-8, 5-7, 8-5 and 12-1. This is Shaw's 6th year; 11-2, 12-2, 11-3, 8-5, 12-2.

If one were to accept your argument that Kelly is hamstrung because he took over a worse program that still doesn't explain Stanfords success. Stanford was a MUCH worse program with no history when Harbaugh took over. He started building something and handed it off to Shaw who has built on that. Kelly can't even get the foundation down and ND is a much bigger recruiting draw than Stanford.. or it was before Stanford started winning.

Sure Harbaugh set them on their way but Shaw has been wildly successful.

What? This is Shaw's 6th year any impact Harbaugh made is long past. Harbaugh was there for 4 years; 4-8, 5-7, 8-5 and 12-1. This is Shaw's 6th year; 11-2, 12-2, 11-3, 8-5, 12-2.

If one were to accept your argument that Kelly is hamstrung because he took over a worse program that still doesn't explain Stanfords success. Stanford was a MUCH worse program with no history when Harbaugh took over. He started building something and handed it off to Shaw who has built on that. Kelly can't even get the foundation down and ND is a much bigger recruiting draw than Stanford.. or it was before Stanford started winning.

Sure Harbaugh set them on their way but Shaw has been wildly successful.

Spot on. I just wish Jack Swarbrick and the ND Admin wouldn't settle and be happy with 8 win type seasons. When a school like Stanford proves it can be successful w/ 10 and 11 and 12 win seasons - then ND needs to step up to the plate and correct things with a new coach if that what it takes.

Reactions: G_a_r_y and cgvr
Spot on. I just wish Jack Swarbrick and the ND Admin wouldn't settle and be happy with 8 win type seasons. When a school like Stanford proves it can be successful w/ 10 and 11 and 12 win seasons - then ND needs to step up to the plate and correct things with a new coach if that what it takes.

At the dolt's first presser:

Q. Also you mentioned the challenges of this job. In your coaching DNA, what appealed to you about coming here and taking on some of the challenges that are very unique in college football?
Porky: Well, first and foremost, restoring it to the traditions that we all know about and the history, and those aren't 8-and-4 years; those are National Championship years.

How many NC has Stanford won?
The Stanford Cardinal football program represents Stanford University in college football at the ... Stanford has fielded football teams every year since 1892 with a few exceptions. ... Stanford claimed National Championships in 1926 and 1940

you have at least one in agreement:

A trailer park
"Hopefully Swarbrick can convince Coach Kelly to step down after the season. I like Coach Kelly but I love the Irish and want to get to the next level.
Coach Kelly has done a good job making the Irish job attractive again for the next coach. I hope the Irish can get a top notch outside hire but if they can't just hire Mike Denbrock.

I eat my crow in thinking this Irish team was destined for Greatness !"

Reactions: cgvr
First off, take all the D2 stuff and toss it out the window as worthless. Mr. Potato Head barely out performed his predecessor Tom Beck there. .73529 vs. .76774.... then Martin took over and destroyed both of them at .91358. Numb nuts won 2 NCs in 13 years. Martin won 2 in 6.

If you'd like to compare game planning against southern cal to game planning against CW Post have at it. I am not impressed with his D2 resume at all. It's like bragging about being at Merrill Lynch for decades only you were a clerk...

He struck gold in Cinci by following D'antonio who was putting an infrastructure in place. Porky's 3 year run there was with D'antonio's build. In 2007, his biggest name wins were Rutgers and Syracuse. In 2008, they were Pitt, Syr, and W Va. In 2009, they were Pitt, Rutgers, Oregon State...he then left his undefeated team in the dust before they were trounced by FL.

ND took a flyer with a guy that did not have an adequate resume for the challenges he would face. His talent/persona intimidates no opponents. His coaching relies heavily on ineffective sideline bullying. He's far too often unhinged and classless.

Dopey is capable of dialing up the occasional gem, but what coach isn't? Cripes you see the Oklahoma game and "think there it is!" Same with fsu....

He's an average to slightly above average D1 CFB HC.

The problem with kelly is his bravado, ego...lack of humility...he's often a vulgar, abrasive and abusive prick...among other things.

I'd bet a ton of money that he and bvg believe they are the smartest coaches in the business.

both are morons....

PS Pumpkin's run at cmu was equally unimpressive...
All you really had to say was followed Dantonio and your point was more than made in regard to this conversation.

How many NC has Stanford won?
I find it hard to believe that anyone would be unhappy if ND had one season under 10 wins the last 6 years and were 2-0 right now. Oh and while we are going there how many NC's has ND won in the last 6 years?

How does Stanford win more than ND ?

Has Stanford ever had a recruiting class that ranked higher than ND ? Ever ? I don't want to look it up - but, if memory serves me right - Stanford has never had a recruiting class ranked higher than ND. Maybe someone can prove me wrong.

Yet how do they for the last 5 or 6 years now win more games than ND ? How does that happen we both recruit the same type of players yet Stanford's players are rated overall lower than ND's.

I will say this - WA. will beat Stanford this year and WA. will represent the Pac 12 as the best overall team this season. But, Stanford will be right there w/ them and will most likely win at least 10 games this season - a season that was supposed to be transition year for Stanford will still result in a pretty dam good season w/ a great bowl to go to which they will probably win.

Stanford - The Stanford Tree's with that piece of shit band they have and ridiculous fight song (I actually like the song - its just not a traditional fight song) has become a better football program than ND.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever see that coming - when Luck graduated I was for sure certain Stanford would revert to the Stanford of old - all Offense and No defense or very little defense and their annual .500 seasons. Boy was I dead wrong.

Stanford is a better football program than ND.

They know how to develop players. Like Michigan state. They can't compete with Michigan in recruiting.
Michigan goes up against OSU and ND and USC for recruits. MSU for awhile went up against Bowling Green and InDiana state for recruits.

Stanford in all do respect is less of a pressure cooker than Notre Dame.

They know how to develop players. Like Michigan state. They can't compete with Michigan in recruiting.
Michigan goes up against OSU and ND and USC for recruits. MSU for awhile went up against Bowling Green and InDiana state for recruits.

Stanford in all do respect is less of a pressure cooker than Notre Dame.

Agree - and on top of better player development in terms of developing 2 and 3 star recruits into very good College players - they run systems that are conducive to the type of players they get.

You are also spot on in that Stanford is no where near the pressure cooker that ND is for a head coach. In all due respect to Shaw - his job is easier to accomplish at Stanford than it is for BK at ND.

Aside from that though - when I watch Stanford play - they rarely beat themselves - ND teams under BK too many times end up beating themselves w/ poor game plans and lack of execution and discipline.

Reactions: G_a_r_y
The point is is that Stanford has won as many NC has ND has in the last 25 years. So I'll ask again, how many?
Strawman argument alert! Strawman argument alert!

Nobody at all has ever talked about Kelly winning a NC! People are upset that Kelly is averaging about 8 wins a season. People are upset that Stanford has a better program the last 7 years. They win more games, they have won more BCS bowls, they have finished in the top 10 more often.

Mentioning the number of NC's is as relevant as mentioning that Stanford colors are red and white???

W's&L's aside the problem is the team excutes poorly. Poor job performance is the issue.
If the team was playing great football to max of ability and fundamentaly sound but the other guys are better, then, kudos all around.

But the matter here is just a damned poor job by the HC & Staff.

Reactions: Java65
Strawman argument alert! Strawman argument alert!

Nobody at all has ever talked about Kelly winning a NC! People are upset that Kelly is averaging about 8 wins a season. People are upset that Stanford has a better program the last 7 years. They win more games, they have won more BCS bowls, they have finished in the top 10 more often.

Mentioning the number of NC's is as relevant as mentioning that Stanford colors are red and white???

I'm beginning to think IrishJohn may be on the current ND coaching staff or a part of the ND Admin or relative to BK ?

Or, maybe he just really believes that BK will get it done - I would love for that too happen - but, after 6 years and 3 games this season - the writing is on the wall. Too many coaching gaffes in every season - yes every season - including the 12 - 0 season when he did not have us prepared and ready to play in the NT game. Thankfully the only gaffe in the 12-0 season just happened 1 time. Every other season it is at least 2 - sometimes 3 times per season.

well if you get in the major bowl, it means you were in or close to playoff contention; we all (well posters who are not biased) know ND caught lightening in a bottle in 2012! The reality struck in the NC game.

A note here:
did you guys catch the erroneous tweet 'like' this week that Kelly explained away ?
It was a tweet calling for a new DC! Kelly 'liked' it.
Well interesting that Kelly admits he has staff monitoring the social media sites.
Do they do this 'continuously'?

I am surprised this was missed by the general forum population. Clearly Kelly's a control freak who will not leave anything to chance. I have been preaching Jmo, there is an obvious attempt to control discussion on this forum.

Well,now we know.

o_O

12 - 0 with Weis' guys. Manti played for his brothers not for Kelly, if memory serves me right, after Kelly threw them under the bus.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
It's the return of decker....and I did this exercise with him before...
You have to laugh at Aaron Lynch's championship game inclusion as he departed ND in April 2012.....
Here are the starters for the 'bama game with their ND commitment dates...... Also, please note that the championship season was built on the backbone of a bend don't break stifling Diaco defense. It's obvious Mr Potato Head had nothing to do with it.
Porky came aboard in Dec 09...it's safe to posit that the early commits in '10 were also from weis efforts....

TJ Jones 10/18/09
Troy Niklas 2/2/11
Zack Martin 7/21/08
Chris Watt 7/13/08
Braxston Cave 3/3/07
Mike Golic 12/19/07
Christian Lombard 1/3/09
Tyler Eifert 7/8/08
Everett Golson 12/2/10
Theo Riddick 4/23/08
Ben Koyack 4/27/10

Kapron Lewis Moore 2/6/08
Louis Nix 12/2/09
Stephon Tuitt 1/20/11
Prince Shembo 8/4/09
Dan Fox 6/5/08
Manti Te’o 2/4/09
Danny Spond Committed 2/10
KeiVarae Russell 12/29/11

Bennett Jackson 6/7/09
Zeke Motta 10/10/08
Matthias Farley 4/21/10

decker's new list weis recruits highlighted:
George Atkinson 9/10
DaVarris Daniels, 1/10
Everett Golson 11/10
Mathias Farley 4/10
Bennett Jackson 6/09
TJ Jones, 10/09
Christian Lombard 1/09,

Aaron Lynch transferred before the ‘12 season,
Devonte Neal 12/11
Louis Nix 12/09,
Keivarie Russell, 12/11
Prince Shembo 8/09
Daniel Smith 1/09

Danny Spond, 2/10
Tony Springman, 4/10
Stephon Tuitt 1/11
Chris Brown,
Correct

hypothetically, disregarding my love for ND, if I'm offered a job from a team that just won a rose bowl and had the #1 pick or a team off their worst 3-year run in history (15-21), no brainer.

Shaw is doing a fantastic job but yet he nor Harbaugh have gotten their squad to a level BK has (the title game). Their work would be unacceptable @ ND, plain and simple.

Hey Decker! Good to hear from you! Is that level you speak of a 1-3 start with a loss to Duke at home ,and your DC just getting fired? That is some tremendous coaching you have right there, and really speaks to the true level that Notre Dame is now at and will remain at.

Decker, can you share your preseason predictions again on Notre Dame with the board?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT